Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,192 members, 7,807,646 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival (29153 Views)

Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Arugba Appears As Osun Osogbo Festival Hots Up / Police Uncover Plan To Abduct Arugba During Osun Osogbo Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 3:05pm On Aug 21, 2015
LEOSIRSIR:
The early history of the Oshogbo people is founded on mythical and spiritual beliefs, along the lines of the traditions of the Yoruba people. The Osun River goddess is credited with the founding and establishment of Oshogbo town. Some accounts describe her as Oso-Igbo, the queen and original founder of Oshogbo town. Thus, the Osun Oshogbo festival, which has been celebrated for about six hundred centuries, was built around a relationship between the river goddess, Osun, and the first monarch of Oshogbo kingdom, Oba Gbadewolu Larooye.

Many centuries ago, hunters from a nearby village (Ipole Omu), named Larooye and Olatimehin and their subjects migrated in search of water. They finally settled at a place very near the Osun River in present day Osogbo. Later, Larooye became the first Ataoja (King) of Osogbo, as one of the initial builders of the settlement. These men and their subjects knew nothing about the administration of the goddess of the Osun River. As time passed by, members of the established community were engaged in preparation of grounds for a planting season when a tree fell into the river and a mysterious voice was heard from the Osun River saying: "Larooye, Olatimehin, gbogbo Ikoko Aro mi leti fo tan”, meaning, you have destroyed all my dinning pots. Having heard this mysterious voice, they were afraid for they never knew how the goddess of the river knew their names.  After Oba Larooye and other lesser spirits within the community pacified the goddess of the river by saying, “Oso-Igbo pele o, Oso igbo roar”, the ancient city was said to have derived her name from the mysterious voice from the lesser spirit made to pacify the goddess of Osun River, thus Oso-Igbo pele o; Oso-igbo rora, was abbreviated to Osogbo. Same goes for the royal title, Ataoja which was derived from the function which the goddess of Osun River advised the first Oba (King) to perform during the last day of the then festival, Atewogbeja, which is abbreviated to Ataoja.

The dense forest of the Osun Sacred Grove on the outskirts of the city of Osogbo is one of the last remnants of primary high forest in southern Nigeria. Regarded as the abode of the goddess of fertility, Osun, one of the pantheons of Yoruba gods, the landscape of the grove and its meandering river is dotted with sanctuaries and shrines, sculptures and art works in honour of Osun and other deities. The sacred grove, which is now seen as a symbol of identity for all Yoruba people, is probably the last in Yoruba culture. It testifies to the once widespread practice of establishing sacred groves outside all settlements.

There are still many sacred forests in Ife. ..
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 3:05pm On Aug 21, 2015
Richie0974:
Whatever... Though shall have no other god except me(Jehovah).... am not a Jehovah Witness ooo grin

That doesn't apply to us africans. That is to the jews
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by LEOSIRSIR(m): 3:16pm On Aug 21, 2015
;DPeople come and see ooo, the abobaku have just surfaced from sacred forest in ife. As history demands Osun groove is one of the sacred forest
macof:

There are still many sacred forests in Ife. ..
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by anigbajumo(m): 3:29pm On Aug 21, 2015
macof:

Christianity and islam are also about fetishism

Pls put Islam aside,
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by UpLoyo: 3:38pm On Aug 21, 2015
2015, still bowing down for an idol that a man made...
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
anigbajumo:

Pls put Islam aside,

Ok
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 3:48pm On Aug 21, 2015
LEOSIRSIR:
;DPeople come and see ooo, the abobaku have just surfaced from sacred forest in ife. As history demands Osun groove is one of the sacred forest

grin grin abobaku when Sijuade has already been buried?
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 3:51pm On Aug 21, 2015
UpLoyo:
2015, still bowing down for an idol that a man made...

I don't know why some people still bow to this nonsense in the image below

4 Likes

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by alexvatt(m): 4:31pm On Aug 21, 2015
allanphash7:
I really love tradition and my dear Yoruba culture

Isese l'agba

How i wish to have the experience

Love this more than d fvucking imported religion that is a scam
the traditional religion is more scam than the imported ones. the traditional religions at times demand human blood for rituals.
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by allanphash7(m): 4:33pm On Aug 21, 2015
Haà

Bro pls where do u belong?
alexvatt:
the traditional religion is more scam than the imported ones. the traditional religions at times demand human blood for rituals.
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by hoodmenconcepts: 4:49pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ugomba:
don't you dare insult Christianity..

Ppl sha.. is it only Christianity be imported religion ?... Bleep all foreign religion... I wonder why we ppl dont accept our own tradition. Let me ask you religion fanatic some question... Why don't we have a black prophet ? why is all prophets of God from the past from both islam and christian are white ? Is it that God hate blacks ? please i need an answer.

2 Likes

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by hoodmenconcepts: 4:49pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ppl sha.. is it only Christianity be imported religion ?... Bleep all foreign religion... I wonder why we ppl dont accept our own tradition. Let me ask you religion fanatic some question... Why don't we have a black prophet ? why is all prophets of God from the past from both islam and christian are white ? Is it that God hate blacks ? please i need an answer.

3 Likes

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by Lincoln275(m): 6:00pm On Aug 21, 2015
osogbo ilu aro, oroki asala, are o peta, are peta ma sa ooo, osun osogbo pele, pele olomo yoyo, am proud of my town osogbo

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by Lincoln275(m): 6:05pm On Aug 21, 2015
whoisuche:

No one brought or impose any religion. Jesus Christ said before Abraham I was. Jesus is the beginning and the end. So The Lord brought Salvation and said thou shall not worship any other god except The through God, King of kings and Lord of lords. Thou shall not bow down to mere gods or idol made by man.
so Jesus is ur own God abi?
hmmmm i don hear u

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by sugni: 6:45pm On Aug 21, 2015
Lincoln275:
osogbo ilu aro, oroki asala, are o peta, are peta ma sa ooo, osun osogbo pele, pele olomo yoyo, am proud of my town osogbo
yeye osun worshippers do they eat fish??
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by hollowpot15684(m): 8:49pm On Aug 21, 2015
i will attend this festival one day..

it worth going.

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by Lincoln275(m): 11:52pm On Aug 21, 2015
sugni:
yeye osun worshippers do they eat fish??
y wont dey eat fish, but not fishes from osun river
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by Hembee67(m): 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2015
Hmm..I was there and to be sincere you don't need to believe in d godess to visit the place.its just a platform to know more abt my heritage..Its tagged festival of tradition not come bow down to Osun..It was really fun filled though and I won't mind to share you some of the pics I took there..

2 Likes

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by macof(m): 9:30pm On Aug 22, 2015
Hembee67:
Hmm..I was there and to be sincere you don't need to believe in d godess to visit the place.its just a platform to know more abt my heritage..Its tagged festival of tradition not come bow down to Osun..It was really fun filled though and I won't mind to share you some of the pics I took there..

pls give us pictures cheesy
Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by LEOSIRSIR(m): 5:18am On Aug 23, 2015
Seleru agbo agbara agbo, losun fin wemo re ki dokita o to de abimon mon da inale osun leun powe mon, eniso losogbo oooo eee, eniso losogbo ahhh, osogbo oroki oo eniso losogbo, ilu lincoln275 eniso losogbo, ilu Leosirsir enisolosogbo, ilu ataoja.
Lincoln275:

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Osun Osogbo Festival by Lincoln275(m): 7:25am On Aug 23, 2015
LEOSIRSIR:
Seleru agbo agbara agbo, losun fin wemo re ki dokita o to de abimon mon da inale osun leun powe mon, eniso losogbo oooo eee, eniso losogbo ahhh, osogbo oroki oo eniso losogbo, ilu lincoln275 eniso losogbo, ilu Leosirsir enisolosogbo, ilu ataoja.
wow see my brother there, sight u my brother

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri Receives T'suut'ina Highest Honor In Canada / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry / This White Man Speaks Edo, Benin Language But Has Never Been To Nigeria (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.