Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,174 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 AM

Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief (24145 Views)

White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Benin Kingdom Vs Yoruba Race: Why Oba Of Benin Is Number One, By Odia Ofeimun / Ile-ife: The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by juman(m): 9:12pm On Aug 21, 2015
Oduduwa met people in ile ife hence he was not the origin of yorubas.

In other words there are some yorubas that are not from oduduwa.

Oduduwa was an hero that was how he became regarded as the father of all.

In today world yorubas are regarded as children of oduduwa.
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 21, 2015
olukenzo:

Ijebu history, check.

You're right. As told by oral tradition, the Idoko people were the autochthonous dwellers of Ijebu and they have either all died off or been assimilated by the settlers from Ife.
i know idoko very well at ijebu imushin, i did my primary and secondary education at ijebu imushin, their great great great grand grand grand grand children are still alive, infact i'm one of them.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by RexTramadol1: 9:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
Ile ife is the best place I've visited

Tho' I've not been to Paris,London and New York

Ile ife is so sweet and peaceful

Easy going people, friendly market women

But I no go mind tasting Las Vegas!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 9:31pm On Aug 21, 2015
saxywale:
The Awujale is on his own oo...

"But unlike the Awujale's view, the position of a majority of the Ijebu obas in the course of this research work, notably the Liken of Iwopin, Ajalorun of Ijebu –Ife, Lenuwa of Ode-Omi, Osobiya of Makun omi, Orimolusi’s Regent, Ayangbunren of Ikorodu, Akarigbo of Remo, to mention but a few is in support of the Ife tradition as the source of the origin of the Ijebu, like other Yoruba people"

Reference:
Ife Origin Influence in the History of Ijebu People of SouthWestern Nigeria (Pp. 13-24) Ayinde, Abimbola - Department of Arts and Social Sciences Education, Faculty of Education, University of Lagos, Akoka–Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria

www.ajol.info/index.php/afrrev/article/view/72290
no, we are with him, in fact we sent him.
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 21, 2015
RexTramadol1:
Ile ife is the best place I've visited

Tho' I've not been to Paris,London and New York

Ile ife is so sweet and peaceful

Easy going people, friendly market women

But I no go mind tasting Las Vegas!
have you been there when modakeke is fighting them

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 9:38pm On Aug 21, 2015
HsLBroker:
no, we are with him, in fact we sent him.
who are the we...does the Awujale even know you exist or ever heard of your family name grin

Also, why does your Awujale bear a yoruba last name if you can't provide a good answer backed up with research to why his name is Adetona and not a Sudanese name, then please keep shut on this subject matter as you have not contributed any meaningful thing to this topic.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 21, 2015
HsLBroker:
the picture doesn't matter, do you know how your ancestor dress 500 years ago.

Now let me tell you if you don't know the history of the Ijebus or the Gbebus, better ask google.

I have posted a research link here. I would post it again. You should read it and learn. it's only 128kb. I don't believe internet data is that expensive in Nigeria for you not to be able to download and read. Knowledge is power. And I don't care if you are descendants of Oduduwa, you could be descendants of crocodiles for all I care...lol

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 21, 2015
Shaadey:
i'lld have really loved to see pictures related to these myths esp dah no 3
bad nigga
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 21, 2015
saxywale:

I have posted a research link here. I would post it again. You should read it and learn. it's only 128kb. I don't believe internet data is that expensive in Nigeria for you not to be able to download and read. Knowledge is power. And I don't care if you are descendants of Oduduwa, you could be descendants of crocodiles for all I care...lol

u know i don't look like crocodile, apes is even better lol
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 10:08pm On Aug 21, 2015
HsLBroker:
u know i don't look like crocodile, apes is even better lol
lol. you no well grin
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 21, 2015
saxywale:

who are the we...does the Awujale even know you exist or ever heard of your family name grin

Also, why does your Awujale bear a yoruba last name if you can't provide a good answer backed up with research to why his name is Adetona and not a Sudanese name, then please keep shut on this subject matter as you have not contributed any meaningful thing to this topic.
if you are a good research then you will agree with me that the etiquette of research doesn't support insulting fellow researcher, for your information if you are opportune to meet awujale tell him you met of the prince of ijebu ode call prince mabadeje adeniyi, he would tell you his forefather once an awujale of ijebu ode.

so be respectful.

and mind you there is no ijebu descendant that will ever acted the way oni acted during 1993 election, during Abacha regime and during jonathan regime and this last election.

read your book well brother, i don't believe in story of your forefather came down from heaven with chain like you want me to believe , selling your right because of greed is not in our own blood

we are: omo olobi wo ro ko eba ona, eyi to je ti wa awo si o do wa, eyi ti kose ti wa a wo si eba ona ki eranko oko ma ri oun je

meaning: we kolanut planter, the kolanut that ripe and fall on our portion of land is our own, the one that ripe and fall else where belong another person.
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 21, 2015
saxywale:

lol. you no well grin
you are from the cursing or abusing descendant lol
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Classicool(m): 10:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
Hope the new Ooni won't fight about age with other first class Kings...
I'm a proud heir of Oduduwa... My brothers and sisters in Oyo state,Osun state,Ondo state,Ogun state,Edo state,Kwara state,Kogi state and parts of Delta states and NigerDelta zone.. Let's unite to move forward faster like never before we are know for our progressive act and behaviour... Let's be in peace with one another and other tribe in Nigeria...
WE CAN ARCHIEVE THIS ALL IN UNITY LOVE AND PEACE..

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by DocAdray(f): 10:41pm On Aug 21, 2015
Demmzy15:
The brave Yoruba tribe, giving Yeebhoes nightmare since 50,000BC grin grin

Wetin concern this thread with Igbo people nah?
SMH
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 11:19pm On Aug 21, 2015
saxywale:

okay. According to the Awujale of ijebu land, you must surely be from Sudan just like the man in the pic below. Except ode-remo ijebu people that are from il-ode and i-remo quarters in ile ife.

So, Ijebus are now Sudanese. Na wa o
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by micronut(m): 11:27pm On Aug 21, 2015
meforyou1:
If Ile Ife had been in existence since 350 BC, that means Modakeke had been in existence since 700 BC. U guys should tell a better lie

Good you ask, modakeke came to settle on Ife's farm long after that. They are settlers from a war affected oyo town.

See this, according to wikipedia.

With the fall of theOyo Empireto theFulani, theYorubakingdom was thrown into confusion and the inhabitants of the Old Oyo were dispersed and started new settlements all around Yoruba land.Fleeing southwards in search of new abodes after the fall of the Oyo Empire, the Oyos started settling among the Ifes in 1834. As the Romans of old, they were soldier-farmers. They were hardy assoldiers and industrious as farmers. Having lost alltheir possessions in their hasty flight, they started life in Ife by doing menial jobs to enable them eke out a living. The reigning Ooni of Ife, Oba Akinmoyero was said to have received them well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modakeke?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7989291604
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 11:34pm On Aug 21, 2015
HsLBroker:
if you are a good research then you will agree with me that the etiquette of research doesn't support insulting fellow researcher, for your information if you are opportune to meet awujale tell him you met of the prince of ijebu ode call prince mabadeje adeniyi, he would tell you his forefather once an awujale of ijebu ode.

so be respectful.

and mind you there is no ijebu descendant that will ever acted the way oni acted during 1993 election, during Abacha regime and during jonathan regime and this last election.

read your book well brother, i don't believe in story of your forefather came down from heaven with chain like you want me to believe , selling your right because of greed is not in our own blood

we are: omo olobi wo ro ko eba ona, eyi to je ti wa awo si o do wa, eyi ti kose ti wa a wo si eba ona ki eranko oko ma ri oun je

meaning: we kolanut planter, the kolanut that ripe and fall on our portion of land is our own, the one that ripe and fall else where belong another person.

Please, stop speaking my language and start learning your Sudanese language.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 11:35pm On Aug 21, 2015
HsLBroker:

so be respectful.

I don't understand you. You keep speaking yoruba and your name is adeniyi, then why do you keep saying you are from Sudan

And Abiola got what he deserved in his own coin. What happened to him was karma. The same Abiola denied Awolowo(the best president Nigeria never had) a chance for the presidency.

He used his ill-gotten wealth to cause a lot of trouble in Nigeria and sponsored babangida's coup, the same babangida that eventually denied him the presidency. so why should i care about Abiola

5 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Nobody: 11:39pm On Aug 21, 2015
walexy30:

So, Ijebus are now Sudanese. Na wa o

Well, sudanese according to the sudanese prince, mabadeje Adeniyi grin grin

His fellow Ijebu people don laff tire on this thread below. As you can see on from tha thread, they are already practising sudanese language grin

https://www.nairaland.com/2540524/ijebus-not-yoruba#37202903

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 11:56pm On Aug 21, 2015
ahamonyeka:
But I thought oduduwa was one of the sons of the first oba of benin who happens to send his son oduduwa during the war and they got to osun and settled down there and start ruling osun until they migrated to lagos at lagos island and use there as a war camp which make them name it EKO meaning war camp in bini dialect.

Though I can't just recall the history again cos I did it in my university days in my GST.(nigerian peoples and culture)

Oga please go back to your university if you can cus what you've posted here is not so at all

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 12:08am On Aug 22, 2015
HsLBroker:
the picture doesn't matter, do you know how your ancestor dress 500 years ago.

Now let me tell you if you don't know the history of the Ijebus or the Gbebus, better ask google, We are not the descendant of Oni or oduduwa that claim he came to ife by chain from heaven, i sorry for my yoruba teacher that thought me that when i was in primary school, and i'm proud to boldly told my children to challenge the moral and thinking faculty of any teacher trying or willing to teach them same, that how come, even Jesus the savor of the whole world (the son of God) didn't came down from heaven with a chain, This ife and oduduwa story is what i called mumbo jumbo.

You are only being gullible. ..did you just say "ask Google"? For yoruba history u ask Google? Relying on Stuupid bloggers trying to sell their work with huge traffic

Stop being lazy nd ask the elders around u. ..move round ask questions ..read from reliable historians

And what makes ur jesus superior to Oduduwa Jigbini bi Ate Ekun? Oduduwa is also son of God
So it's the story of a virgin giving birth, jesus elevating into space nd talking donkeys nd snakes that isn't mumbo jumbo?

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 12:17am On Aug 22, 2015
Dindondin:
really.
Where are you from?
Don't tell me it's Nubia or Whaddai
I mean this coming from sudan stuff is just as dumb as Oduduwa coming from Mecca

It's Strange how people fall deep for this nonsense

Waddai that they refer to is actually Owodaiye. .Ife Owodaiye, the first Ife

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 12:24am On Aug 22, 2015
olukenzo:

Ijebu history, check.

You're right. As told by oral tradition, the Idoko people were the autochthonous dwellers of Ijebu and they have either all died off or been assimilated by the settlers from Ife.

Yes they occupied from Ijebu to Ondo city..until settlers from Ife (not sudan) came to set up dynasties and towns in the area
Their descendants still exist in Ondo, Idanre.
The ones that matter here are Scattered around Ijebu. ..but just for tradition and history sake cus they have totally assimilated into the "Ijebu" culture which has its origins from Ife

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 12:27am On Aug 22, 2015
sportfeva:

Ok, you seems right. The most info is that he travel from Mecca and not chain myth. So, what the Language. It means he embrace it.

Oduduwa was never from mecca. ..nd the Oduduwa said to come via a chain was a spiritual stuff explained in symbolism
Y'all should get familiar with yoruba traditions

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 12:32am On Aug 22, 2015
HsLBroker:

so be respectful.

So you are from Ijebu ode and descended from Obanta through ur father's lineage?
The same Obanta that came from Ife?

If you are not yoruba why do you speak Yoruba language. .that came from Ife

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by macof(m): 12:44am On Aug 22, 2015
HsLBroker:
you will soon know

Amazing Facts About Ijebus:
1. Ijebus were the first people to
have contact with Europeans in 14th century.

2. Ijebus were the first tobe
educated by western education.

3. Ijebu is the largest Ethnic group in Nigeria.

4. First people to manufacture gears of wars
in history of Nigeria.

6. The first people to invent money made
from cowry shell, later made Coin
called"PANDORA" , which acceptable through
Africa
and Europe.

7. Ijebus were first settlement in
Lagos and Ibadan.

8. Ijebu is the only tribe in nigeria
that has its origin from bible days.

9. According to the Biblical
account;The Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe
who inhabited and built Jerusalem prior to its
conquest by King David

11. The Europeans Observers found them
more intelligent than theother groups in
Nigeria.

12. When Oduduwa was blind, Ijebu King(fifth
Awujale
) was the one to provide remedy to
restore the sight.

14. Ijebu was the one to raise
agitation for emancipation from colonialism.

What a great National!

The Regional capital is Ijebu Ode.

The Commercial capital is Sagamu

The Spiritual capital is Ijebu Igbo

You really believe this? So you believe everything you read from blogs?
Can you even prove these?

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by scully95: 1:36am On Aug 22, 2015
Consultville:
1. According to Yoruba mythology it is believed that life and creation started first in Ile-Ife

2. It is widely believed and accepted that Ile-Ife is the cradle of the Yoruba race

3. In Yoruba mythology it is believed that all dead bodies have a ‘stop over’ in Ile-Ife before going to the world beyond, in some Yoruba burial rites, it's often recited that the dead person should not stay too long in Ile-Ife but proceed straight to the other world. It is also believed that till date there is a path in Ile-Ife that leads straight to the other world which is only accessible by the dead.

4. According to historians, the town's habitation can be traced as far back as 350 BCE The meaning of the word "ife" in the Yoruba language is "expansion;" "Ile-Ife" means in reference to the myth of origin "The House of Expansion"

5. Oduduwa (the widely accepted Father of the Yoruba race) lived in Ile-Ife and was the first Ooni of Ile-Ife

6. The Ooni is the paramount ruler of Ile-Ife and the Custodian of the Household of Oduduwa and by extension the custodian of Yoruba culture.

7. It is believed in Yoruba mythology that there are 401 gods/shrines scattered worldwide, 201 are in ILE-IFE

8. The only speaking deity/god of theses 401 deities is the Ooni of Ife

9. 46TH ADELEKAN (OLUBUSE I)- He was the first Ooni to travel outside Ile-Ife to Lagos in 1903 when he was invited by the then Governor General to settle the dispute involving Elepe of Epe. All Yoruba Kings including the Alaafin left their respective thrones as a mark of respect for the Ooni. They returned to their respective stools after Ooni returned to Ile-Ife from Lagos.

10. It was during ADESOJI ADEREMI reign UNIVERSITY OF IFE now OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY was established in ILE-IFE

11. The next Ooni will the 51ST Ooni ever ruled ILE-IFE

12. Every King in Yoruba land traces his crown to ILE-IFE

13. ILE IFE is the site of OPA ORANMIYAN stands over five meters tall in Moopa area of the town within a fenced wall. Few symbolic trees are scattered around the staff with some dotted marks, which the custodian says are marks of bullet during the several wars fought by Oranmiyan. High chief Johnson Owoyemi, the Akogun of Ife is the current custodian of the Opa Oranmiyan – a staff that Oranmiyan, the grandson of Oduduwa used to take to war. The staff made of granite obelisk with iron stud stands within the Oranmiyan shrine manned by Chief Eredumi as chief priest who is the link between the dead and the living.

"Oduduwa (the widely accepted Father of the Yoruba race) lived in Ile-Ife and was the first Ooni of Ile-Ife "
This is wrong and Muslim brainwash. That one Oduduwa came from Mecca (If at all if Oduduwa came from Arab country, back in the day, he must be an intruder that came to sell his own form of brainwash that the Yoruba people relocated from Medinah to Nigeria.. Lies.. Propaganda against Yoruba tradition.

Naturally Obatala, Oba tata, Oba tagun tagun was the Irrunmole sent from above by Eledumare to create Ile ife. He was given Ifa as guidance and this is why they always call him Baba ifa. Your illustration of Oduduwa above is Yoruba Muslim brainwash but not that of Yoruba Traditional religion..

The descendant of Obatala became Ooni of Ife. First among equals in all the Yoruba Obas. Ooni of ife is the leader of all Yoruba people and Natually he's a small God any time he puts on his Ade ori, he automatically takes the position of Orisa.

Mind you, orisa is God and there is a say that let the Orisa lives in you.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by scully95: 1:45am On Aug 22, 2015
macof:

You really believe this? So you believe everything you read from blogs?
Can you even prove these?

"8. Ijebu is the only tribe in nigeria
that has its origin from bible days.

9. According to the Biblical
account;The Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe
who inhabited and built Jerusalem prior to its
conquest by King David

11. The Europeans Observers found them
more intelligent than theother groups in
Nigeria.

12. When Oduduwa was blind, Ijebu King(fifth
Awujale) was the one to provide remedy to
restore the sight.

14. Ijebu was the one to raise
agitation for emancipation from colonialism."

I think you are on indian hemp.. Or you meant the Ijebus were the first to sell out their traditional religion or beliefs to the European in other words saboteurs, puppets and proxies in Yoruba land..
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by scully95: 2:43am On Aug 22, 2015
juman:
Oduduwa met people in ile ife hence he was not the origin of yorubas.

In other words there are some yorubas that are not from oduduwa.

Oduduwa was an hero that was how he became regarded as the father of all.

In today world yorubas are regarded as children of oduduwa.

Oduduwa -WHose hero ?Who did he fight back then ??You watch too much Nollywood films and Propaganda..

Oduduwa was an intruder that traveled from Medinah or mecca to ile ife. If you check around the world today.. This is still happening.. You hear of ISIL coming from middle east to fight in Nigeria.. Back then it was under the same pretext. When the Oduduwa won the war why he did not return to where he came from ? (Oba sweet am right and Oranmiyan was just looking at him right)

You need to understand the world's geopolitical game to really understand what happened back in the day.. And this is what USA is doing in Europe as we speak.. Under the pretext of protecting EU against Russia. They create artificial enemy with Russia just to justify massive military spending, NATO expansion massive propaganda to mention a few.

The same thing was downplayed in any country US loss control over. It will immediately support one side against that country. E.g Failed Vietnam war.
A successful North and south Korean war. Supporting Taiwan against China after Communist Chinese won the civil war.. Breaking of Yuguslavia that was bombed by NATO forces without UN resolution 15 years ago.

They learned this strategy from the British Empire. The past is surely repeating itself may be in a bit advance way (Covertly and overtly) .
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:14am On Aug 22, 2015
meforyou1:
If Ile Ife had been in existence since 350 BC, that means Modakeke had been in existence since 700 BC. U guys should tell a better lie
Modakeke, as a people, came to be in around the 19th century.

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by Iwonimi(m): 6:00am On Aug 22, 2015
Na olodo u be. No where to found Yoruba race dan here in Nigeria. Any Yoruba u see all over d world migrate from here. So take it or leave it we re all from Ile ife
eluquenson:
Ok
I am a native of Ijebu land, am not a descendant of Ife
Re: Ile-ife - The Cradle Of Yoruba Race, Fact, Myth And Belief by ahamonyeka(m): 6:21am On Aug 22, 2015
macof:

Oga please go back to your university if you can cus what you've posted here is not so at all
oya! Make I hear your own cos I supose you be yoruba man naim make you agree with the one op post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ethnic Groups in Nigeria, Less Than 40 / Oba Dosunmu: I Refused To Do Any Ritual Before Wearing The Crown / Chinua Achebe To Be Buried At Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.