Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi (5414 Views)

Agony Of Monogamy. / The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi / [agony Of An Orphan] Sign The Documents Or Forget About Your Education Dream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi by limamintruth: 1:54am On Sep 03, 2015
johnny1980:

What happens if she had multiple sex with both partners in the space of days not even hours?

Let us even assume they did it weekly. how do you count exactly what week the sex that fertilized her in to know exactly who did it giving some women are 2 months pregnant and are even oblivious of the fact?

Polyandry works for those who practise it (e.g the Hindus). Hence, its not for you or I to negatively critique or condemn their practises since they havnt forced it on any of us.

I believe if we were to invite a polyandrist in our midst now, she wont hesitate to also outline the merits of polyandry to us which I suspect will probably include the fact that:

The inability of the men to distinguish/determine whose baby it is that the wife/madam-in-charge( grin ) is carrying within her helps to unite the family more and promote the collective acceptance of all kids by all the parents without discriminating kid-A from kid-B.

This is contrary to the well-known discriminatory treatment experience by most kids within polygamous marriages; since every wife can clearly identify her own child (unlike polyandry). Hence, the possibility of each wife maltreating the child(ren) of the other wife/wives is ever present.
Re: The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi by Nobody: 4:39am On Sep 03, 2015
limamintruth:

Polyandry works for those who practise it (e.g the Hindus). Hence, its not for you or I to negatively critique or condemn their practises since they havnt forced it on any of us.

I believe if we were to invite a polyandrist in our midst now, she wont hesitate to also outline the merits of polyandry to us which I suspect will probably include the fact that:

The inability of the men to distinguish/determine whose baby it is that the wife/madam-in-charge( grin ) is carrying within her helps to unite the family more and promote the collective acceptance of all kids by all the parents without discriminating kid-A from kid-B.

This is contrary to the well-known discriminatory treatment experience by most kids within polygamous marriages; since every wife can clearly identify her own child (unlike polyandry). Hence, the possibility of each wife maltreating the child(ren) of the other wife/wives is ever present.

It doesn't work. The aim is to keep large swats of land as a family due to the scarcity of arable land in the mountains of Northern Indian and Himalayas. When you have 5 boys in a family, dividing lands into small bits when they start a new family does not make too much sense as it would not be large enough to cater for his needs.

It is a means to an end and it is not to enable the women freedom to have multiple husbands like most would want us to believe. Fact is it's almost extinct and rare to even find one community doing such now.
Re: The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi by limamintruth: 7:49am On Sep 03, 2015
johnny1980:

It doesn't work. The aim is to keep large swats of land as a family due to the scarcity of arable land in the mountains of Northern Indian and Himalayas. When you have 5 boys in a family, dividing lands into small bits when they start a new family does not make too much sense as it would not be large enough to cater for his needs.

It is a means to an end and it is not to enable the women freedom to have multiple husbands like most would want us to believe. Fact is it's almost extinct and rare to even find one community doing such now.

Sure there will always be reasons why certain type of marriage is practised.

This was why I stated that what matters most is not really the kind of marriage agreement entered into, but the ability to achieve & maintain a healthy, happy and successful married life.
Re: The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 03, 2015
limamintruth:

Sure there will always be reasons why certain type of marriage is practised.

This was why I stated that what matters most is not really the kind of marriage agreement entered into, but the ability to achieve & maintain a healthy, happy and successful married life.

Even when the marriage involves incest?

Sleeping with your elder brother's wife seems sordid.

Also, the women in such marriages have no say.

They are seen like properties to be shared by the male members. Is that progressive? That they have reasons makes it reasonable?
Re: The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi by limamintruth: 8:29am On Sep 03, 2015
johnny1980:

Even when the marriage involves incest?

Sleeping with your elder brother's wife seems sordid.

Also, the women in such marriages have no say.

They are seen like properties to be shared by the male members. Is that progressive? That they have reasons makes it reasonable?

Inbreeding is not the exclusive preserve of polyandry bro.
You should understand what I mean if you are of the school of thought that believes Adam & Eve were the first humans on earth.

And till date, alot of muslim communities(particularly in arab regions and northern nigeria) practise marriage between closely related cousins and other distant relatives as well.

Therefore who are we to assume the position of God and judge others if I may ask? undecided

Modified:
And back to the O.P, I'l like us to understand that any adult human(male or female) who voluntarily agreed to become a member of a particular religion should be ready to adher to the doctrines/rules/instructions of the said religion in its entirety.
This is why whenever I hear some of my muslim sisters here in the north complain about how much they dislike polygamy, I usually dont hesitate to remind them that for the fact they chose to be muslims, then they should be ever-ready to conform with the doctrines of the religion. There is no compulsion in religion; therefore lets all learn to chose the religion we are in full agreement with.

That is to say, you cant be a muslim & still adamantly refuse to accept the stance of islam on polygamy. If you are not comfortable with the religion's stance on multiple marriage for men, why dont you then quietly leave the religion & practise the one that best suits your ideas without making unnecessary fuss about it? undecided

Trying to force christianity to accept polygamy or compel islam to reject polygamy is very wrong IMO.

1 Like

Re: The Agony Of Monogamy- By Tola Adeniyi by Chosenfaithful: 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2015
The author got it wrong on many fronts.
1. Marriage is NOT man's idea or culture: it IS God's.
2. Christianity is NOT Western or White man's religion. It is not even a 'religion'. It is a relationship with the only true and living God, JEHOVAH, the Creator of heaven and earth, a relationship which can only be entered into by faith in His Son, Jesus the Christ.
3. In His wisdom, this God has provided an 'Owner's Manual' with prescriptions to help us live well in His universe. One of such prescriptions is Monogamy as the standard of marriage best for man. And He should know what’s ultimately best for him, being the Maker/Owner of both man and marriage!
4. As our Maker, He expects us to follow his prescriptions, trusting that He is good, loves us, knows what He's doing and what's best for us, even when we don't understand.
5. The fact that we often fall short of His standards for us does not vitiate or detract from those standards. The problem is NOT with His standards; the problem is with us and our fallen nature. Just because something appeals to our baser sensual instincts, or because the alternative is difficult to achieve, doesn't make acting on those instincts right or that we should necessarily succumb. Exams are hard, why not abolish them or have everyone in Harvard Nuclear Physics class?
6. Nevertheless, in line with His character, God NEVER forces us to obey Him - that's why He made us free moral beings. He is therefore glorified when we CHOOSE to trust and obey Him. Use of force or manipulation is SURE evidence that God's not there, for "...where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty" (2 Corinthians 3:17).
7. The thoroughly eventful history of the world and our observable universe bear eloquent testimony to God's unfailing goodness and the unsearchable wisdom of His ways – far different and higher than ours. Our reasonable response should be to LOVE what we know of Him and TRUST the unknown.
8. It's not about some "…White men…[who] came and told the unfortunate lands… that the cherished cultures, traditions and religions of such lands were rubbish, and instead indoctrinated them…” Truth is, "all the gods of the nations are idols, but JEHOVAH made the heavens" (Psalm 96:5).
9. So, polygamy is an utterly BAD idea. It’s another illustration of Satan’s typical MO: when he's unable to stop man from aspiring to something God desires for him, he offers a dummy, a fake, an adulteration of the truth or real deal. He couldn't stop man from desiring marriage, so he offers him false alternatives in the form of polygamy, self-imposed celibacy, trial marriage, same-sex marriage, bigamy, polyandry…etc. Same thing he did by twisting the truth of God and presenting man with variations of falsehood and half-truths as found in ALL 'religions' and cults.
10. However, here’s the ultimate good news: ‘Jesus said to him… “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me”’ (John 14:6). "Neither is there salvation in any other; for there is no other name under heaven by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). And "Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Joel 2:32).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are There Still Men Who Don’t Cheat On Their Spouse / Nigerian Mother Gives Birth On London Bus / How Can A Woman Understand Her Husband After Wedding?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.