Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,511 members, 7,801,355 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

7 Must Read Books By African Authors - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 7 Must Read Books By African Authors (26164 Views)

Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Must Read: Top 10 Most Read Books In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by queenfav(f): 1:20pm On May 10, 2016
greatwaters:
Have you read ''The Smugglers'' by Kalu Okpi? Thats the first Nigerian crime novel i've ever read. looking for it to read again. last time i did i was 12 or 13
i think i have o,sounds familiar.

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Zilas: 1:26pm On May 10, 2016
The concubine is another interesting novel. We have Ihuoma and Ekwueme as main characters including Ahurole. Can't remember the author.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 2:03pm On May 10, 2016
I read all but will do so again just like I recently did with Things Fall Apart and The bottled Leopard. Found out I have a different view ,interpretation and understanding unlike when I read them as a child.

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by buckweath: 2:51pm On May 10, 2016
Here is my list of novels and writers that made an impression on my young mind...........then:
1. The African Child -- Camara Laye
2. Things fall apart -- Chinua Achebe
3. No longer at ease -- Chinua Achebe
4. The passport of Mallam Ilia -- Cyprian Ekwensi
5. An African Night Entertainment -- Cyprian Ekwensi
6. Many things you no understand –Adaora Lily Ulasi
7. Many things begin for change -- –Adaora Lily Ulasi
8. Ogboju Ode ninu Igbo Irumale -- D. O. Fagunwa
9. Ireke Onibudo ---- D. O. Fagunwa
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by nikkybeez(f): 3:03pm On May 10, 2016
So much love Joys of motherhood by Buchi Emecheta and Mother's choice by Agbo Areo.I read the novels in my Junior Secondary.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by de1de1SnrAd: 3:46pm On May 10, 2016
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Kaycee7(m): 6:14pm On May 10, 2016
Zilas:
The concubine is another interesting novel. We have Ihuoma and Ekwueme as main characters including Ahurole. Can't remember the author.
The author is Elechi Amadi
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Scatterboss(m): 6:20pm On May 10, 2016
peppyluv02:
I read all but will do so again just like I recently did with Things Fall Apart and The bottled Leopard. Found out I have a different view ,interpretation and understanding unlike when I read them as a child.

grin grin
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by bossun3(m): 9:55pm On May 10, 2016
sincerely u guys re making me grin all over and ve strengthened my resolve to continue buying & reading literatures.

thank goodness we still ve people like this. There's hope for d future. love u guys and thanks for making me happy. abi na only me dey feel this way?

lest i forget for d ist time in a long while no spacebookers, e warriors or thread derailers.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Limibanti(m): 9:55pm On May 10, 2016
Please assist with site to download e-books. .. thanks
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by litetias(m): 11:17pm On May 10, 2016
SirDavico:
I've only read two of those books on the list.
> Dizzy Angel by Grace Osifo is also a great book.
And so are
>Pot of life, Return of Aimiuwu and Mystries of pot of life by H. J. Akenzua.
And lots more.

Can anyone give me a link to download Mystries of pot of Life?[/b]

Amazing novel! I read it when I was in primary school
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by litetias(m): 11:23pm On May 10, 2016
makavele:
The Potter's Wheel . . . Chukwuemeka Ike

Wonderful! The boy with the funny head
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by litetias(m): 11:27pm On May 10, 2016
eagleccentric:
Honestly, while reading these posts gives a sense of euphoria when i consider that i read five out of those op posted, and a whole lot of others by different commentators, i feel sad at the same time that reading culture has all but died in Nigeria. Can we get todays children away from the tv with all its forms of entertainment, can we get them away from the game consoles, internet, social media etc

WEEP NOT CHILD? i must shed my tears for THE AFRICAN CHILD, who cares less whether EZE GOES TO SCHOOL or not. destined to be THE BOY SLAVE when the ADVENTURES OF SOUZA no longer appeals to him. IFEANYI AND OBI are no more his playmates so he is NO LONGER AT EASE. Thinks more of THE CONCUBINE so early in life while others are seeking THE PASSPORT OF MALLAM ILIYA. He is like a BOTTLED LEOPARD when there are ANTHILLS IN THE SAVANNAH to explore. CRY THE BELOVED COUNTRY Nigeria for THE RETURN OF SHETTIMAH is no more feasible. No more hope of being A MAN OF THE PEOPLE, as the centre can no more hold for THINGS FALL APART is now our case...

I read most of these novels you have named when this man was a little boy. When life was still innocent.
Memories!
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by litetias(m): 11:33pm On May 10, 2016
The madness of Didi

The Bride Price

One is Enough

Please Don't Say No

She Died Yesterday

Sisi

Samankwe And The Highway Robber

Spare The Rod

The Hopeful Lovers

Fools Rush In

Mbatha and Rebecca

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by litetias(m): 11:35pm On May 10, 2016
successismine:
mine are
1.the joy of motherhood
2. naira power
3.the beautiful ones are not yet born
4.things fall apart
5.African child
6.no longer at ease
soooo mny great great stories by africa writers

Very sad novel!
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by litetias(m): 11:39pm On May 10, 2016
Imoletide:
Nice compilation Op. You guys should read 'The Wages of Sin' i can't remember the Author's name.

I've read it.
Its about a guy that has an unfaithful girlfriend who cheats on him. Been twenty years I read it.
Memories

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by AwesomeDuru(m): 11:44pm On May 10, 2016
How come no one is mentioning Black Boy by Richard Wright?

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by itstpia8: 5:12am On May 11, 2016
African authors.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by pweetymii: 6:46am On May 11, 2016
MurphyG1:
Mine is "The Palmwine Tapster" by Amos Tutuola.

Very interesting grin . Has anyone here read it?
Waoh,the Palmwine Tapper,the man loved Palmwine so much he had to go look for his tapper wen he died because no one could tap for him.
@Bossun3 not be only u dey feel like that oh...then,we used to pride ourselves with novels especially the pacesetters series we have read..
Nice job @Op,good to know there are good novel lovers.i also loved:
Koku Baboni..can't remember the author
Twins of the rainforest..
Dizzy Angel..
People of the City..Cyprian Ekwensi..
Arrow of God...
Kossoh Townboy..
Then most of the pacesetters series e.g..
For Mbatha and Rabeka..
Evbu my Love e.t.c.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Zico0(m): 7:03am On May 11, 2016
Ehinmetan mola Ezekiel started a revolution in literature. Join in the renaissance www.facebook.com/ehinmetanmolaezekiel
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by blueeyes1: 8:24am On May 11, 2016
litetias:
The madness of Didi
The Bride Price
One is Enough
Please Don't Say No
She Died Yesterday
Sisi
Samankwe And The Highway Robber
Spare The Rod
The Hopeful Lovers
Fools Rush In

Mbatha and Rebecca
These are pacesetters series,yeah?
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Imoletide(m): 8:45am On May 11, 2016
litetias:

I've read it.
Its about a guy that has an unfaithful girlfriend who cheats on him. Been twenty years I read it.
Memories
yes sir,u're right...its been a while have read it too but it is forever in my memory because of what it taught me.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Imoletide(m): 8:47am On May 11, 2016
AwesomeDuru:
How come no one is mentioning Black Boy by Richard Wright?
I so much love that book!
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by theconcealed: 11:07am On May 11, 2016
Please I need Ireke Onibudo and Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by AwesomeDuru(m): 11:07am On May 11, 2016
Imoletide:
I so much love that book!
At one time, I thought it the best book I've read.

1 Like

Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by internetpo(m): 12:35pm On May 11, 2016
great books them all. read most of them. I need them again pls any bookshop for these?
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Imoletide(m): 8:37pm On May 11, 2016
AwesomeDuru:
sincerely,its the second best book i've read by an African writer,second only to Purple Hibiscus
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Imoletide(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2016
AwesomeDuru:
both talked about the struggles of an African child growing up in the ghetto and the other in a rich and religious family.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 11, 2016
And what's funny?
Scatterboss:

grin grin
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Ndipe(m): 12:18am On May 12, 2016
Zilas:

Elechi Amadi.
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Ndipe(m): 12:25am On May 12, 2016
chocorod:
mon ami,tu est Guinnéen n'est-ce pas.Merçi pour cette banque d'information

How are you doing?
Re: 7 Must Read Books By African Authors by Kaldakinn: 12:39am On May 12, 2016
K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Famous Books Of African Authors / Please Don't Scream (PDS) / SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.