Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,247 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler (25522 Views)

Bukola Saraki Meets With Northern Senators Over Nigeria's Unity. Photos / Mass Sack: Ngige Meets Senators Over Withdrawal Of Banks' License.Photos / Rivers Re-run Polls Split Senators Over Amaechi - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:48am On Aug 24, 2015
I envy Tinubu.

One man is feared mortally by a whole national political establishment. Just one man!! I wish I were the one that brings so much fear into.PDP.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by brainpower(m): 7:48am On Aug 24, 2015
The other day a report said "Saraki eats the humble pie" today Tinubu lobby's Saraki. It all boils down to what we want to here and believe.

If Fowler has nothing to hide, then what's the need for the lobby?
Personally, I think the man can deliver but PMB should make sure Tinubu doesn't own us just like he owned Lagos through Fowler.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by adaweezy(m): 7:49am On Aug 24, 2015
LordVarys:
Following the nomination of Mr. Babatunde Fowler by President Muhammadu Buhari as the Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), the stage has been set for a leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, to contend with the leadership of the Senate with whom he has been at loggerheads since its emergence last June.

As required by law, Fowler would have to be confirmed by the Senate before he can head the FIRS. Should his nomination be rejected by the Senate, Buhari would either have submit another name to replace him or allow the current acting chairman Samuel Olugbesan to continue in the capacity.

But with the nomination of Fowler, a well known associate and protégé of Tinubu who served for nine years as the Chairman of the Lagos Board of Inland Revenue (LBIR), the former Lagos State governor would have to come face-to-face with Senate President Bukola Saraki and his deputy Ike Ekweremadu.

There has been no love lost between the Senate President and Tinubu since the former defied the dictates of the ruling party by contesting and clinching the Senate Presidency.

Tinubu had backed Senator Ahmed Lawan for the post but lost out when a meeting was set up at the International Conference Centre, Abuja, between several APC senators and Buhari, to coincide with the inauguration of the Eighth Senate.

Their absence from the Senate chamber on the day of the inauguration paved the way for Saraki and Ekweremadu to win the election unchallenged.

Ever since, the Senate has been polarised between Saraki’s loyalists under the auspices of Senators of Like Minds and Ahmed’s supporters known as the Unity Forum.

Ahead of the submission of Fowler's name for Senate screening, THISDAY learnt that Tinubu has started reaching out to senators, particularly those in the Senators of Like Minds group loyal to Saraki and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

[b]Until Fowler’s nomination, the position was vacant because the last nominee whose name was sent to the Senate by former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mrs. Mfon Akpan from Akwa Ibom State following a recruitment exercise, was rejected by the lawmakers.

Concerns that Fowler may suffer the same fate as Akpan has galvanised Tinubu and compelled him to reach out to key senators who are close to Saraki with a view to both resolving the crisis in the Senate in which he is believed to be the sponsor of the Lawan group, and to ensure that the long-drawn out feud in the Senate does not affect other close associates who may be sent to the upper chamber for confirmation for top executive positions.

A source said depending on how Tinubu plays his cards, his overture to the senators could either help to resolve the contending issues between the two groups or deepen the division in the Senate.
But many pro-Saraki senators, particularly the 81 who signed the vote of confidence on the Senate President on July 28 are already spoiling for a fight.[/b]

“This is payback time for Asiwaju for all his machinations against the Senate since he could not get his candidate to become Senate President. This is an opportunity to force Tinubu to the table and mend bridges or break them further,” said a senator close to Saraki.

[b]The pro-Saraki senators are also angling to move against Fowler because they believe Tinubu is scheming to take control of the country’s finances under the Buhari administration without the president realising the game plan.

According to a senator from Bauchi State, the plot by the former governor of Lagos State is to get Fowler into FIRS and also make another of his protégés, Mr. Olawale Edun, who served as his Commissioner for Economic Development, to become the Minister of Finance, thereby seizing control of the economic machinery of the government.

Edun, according to the senator who preferred not to be named, will be presented as the ministerial nominee from Ogun State, a development which has pitted Tinubu against Governor Ibikunle Amosun.

Amosun is said to have insisted that Edun has never associated with Ogun State and could not be expected to take the biggest federal appointment due to the state.

Many of the senators close to Saraki are said to be getting ready to ensure they use the rejection of Fowler’s nomination as a clear signal that the crisis in the Senate has not been due to the protection of any party supremacy but the political interest of Tinubu.
Sources also disclosed that one other reason that compelled the former Lagos governor to reach out to Saraki’s loyalists is the Babatunde Fashola issue.

While Tinubu does not want his successor to be nominated as minister, Buhari’s body language indicates that he is still not convinced by the ongoing campaign to denigrate Fashola and project him as one who is not good enough for the administration.

Tinubu’s plan, alleged a source, is to stop Fashola during the Senate confirmation hearing in the event Buhari nominates the immediate past governor of Lagos by getting the three senators from the state – Oluremi Tinubu, Gbenga Ashafa and Olamilekan Adeola – to oppose his candidacy.

“He is however afraid that that plan will only work if the Senate President buys into the plan, as Saraki can overrule the objection of the three senators and get majority of the senators to clear Fashola like they did a few months ago for Musiliu Obanikoro when Senator David Mark was Senate President.

“Tinubu particularly believes that Saraki has a soft spot for Fashola and that the two men are associates. The fact that though the Senate President is abroad, he sent his deputy chief of staff, Gbenga Makanjuola, to attend last week’s book launch in honour of Fashola also lends credence to the fear that no plan to stop Fashola will succeed in the Senate except Saraki and his loyalists buy into it,” a senator from Zamfara said.

“There must be a trade-off as we get to the period of ministerial nominations and confirmation hearings. What we do not like is this idea of running with the hare and hunting with the hounds.

“Those who need us for their own interests, different from the interest of President Buhari are now making it look like we need them. They have continued to create enmity between the Senate and the presidency. Now, they are playing a different game,” a senator from Delta State said.[/b]
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fowlers-confirmation-may-bring-tinubu-face-to-face-with-senate-leadership/218286/
Cc lalasticlala. Ishilove
Liesss

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Mega005(m): 7:49am On Aug 24, 2015
Gud
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by maxiuc(m): 7:50am On Aug 24, 2015
Aboki senators on rampage again
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 24, 2015
which Fowler be that?? Robbie Fowler??
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by digitsolution: 7:52am On Aug 24, 2015
This is thrash!!!!! Fabrications

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by deolu2000(m): 7:52am On Aug 24, 2015
Help me summerize the story and i ll comment later.
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 24, 2015
brainpower:
The other day a report said "Saraki eats the humble pie" today Tinubu lobby's Saraki. It all boils down to what we want to here and believe.

Personally, I think the man can deliver but PMB should make sure Tinubu doesn't own us just like he owned Lagos through Fowler.

Looks like Tinubu owns a lot of Nigeria and even Ghana the way Alpha Beta gets around....

http://alpha-beta.net/clients.htm

Am not a Tinubu fan by the way....so don't go there.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Smooyis(m): 7:54am On Aug 24, 2015
No one is strong in himself. We need one another. You are because I am, and I am because you are..... TBJoshua
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by neocortex: 7:55am On Aug 24, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Fowler is a good choice.(allegations of fake honorary phd aside...but let's not go into that pleasee wink).

Right now....we don't have enough money in the treasury thanks to those evil Saudis and their game of chicken with American shale oil producers.....and Fowler has on his CV a success rate in raising Lagos' revenue via taxation drastically.

In other words....taxes are going to rise.And we have no choice. Unless someone here has the King of Saudi on speed dial....so that some begging can be done.

That is not true, GEJ with the aid of his corrupt aid
practically ruined the world's oil economy. undecided

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by snoopdg(m): 7:55am On Aug 24, 2015
Much as I hold tinunu in high esteem, it will amount To t ridicule if he has to speak or mend fences with someone who undermined him jus to see an ally of his get Confirmation for an assignment, if Fowler is qualified let him face the senate. Tinubu has no business lobbying Saraki or anyone, it will only belittle tinubu

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 24, 2015
neocortex:

That is not true, GEJ with the aid of his corrupt aid
practically ruined the world's oil economy. undecided

That's an exaggeration na... smiley

But on a serious note....if GEJ had been saving saving like Yaradua....we would have still been having the problem of a dry treasury.

Right now...UAE and Saudi Arabia are considering raising taxes, and in Saudi's case....even removing the fuel subsidy in their countries. (And Saudi has at least $672bn in the coffers....yet they are worried).

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by sunrealboy01(m): 7:59am On Aug 24, 2015
Now this is getting interesting...
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by otokx(m): 7:59am On Aug 24, 2015
The media is just making money selling tales by moonlight.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by ejirede: 7:59am On Aug 24, 2015
Happiness87:
Jangabandit's major hope of getting his investments from presidential elections,

if Fowler contracts his firm with FIRS, he will be getting 15% of IGR of this country.

Nigeria which way
who nominated the guy ? Take it or leave it,the guy will scale through because of Buhari.any attempt by Saraki and his goon to stop the guy will further create enemity btw the presidency and the senate

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by ykwildchild: 8:00am On Aug 24, 2015
lies

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/3

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Happiness87(f): 8:03am On Aug 24, 2015
ejirede:
who nominated the guy ? Take it or leave it,the guy will scale through because of Buhari.any attempt by Saraki and his goon to stop the guy will further create enemity btw the presidency and the senate
till then asse lick ers

buhari was only brainwashed with his profile
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by loomer: 8:05am On Aug 24, 2015
Realdeals:
Tinubu cannot control Fowler under Buhari administration, if any mago-mago happens, it will be an opportunity for PMB to punish Tinubu by proxy.

The mago-mago go don happen finish, before buhari go even know self.

U think say apart from atiku, e get another person wey sharp pass tinubu for mago-mago?
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by imoikoko: 8:08am On Aug 24, 2015
What rubbish report is this, why would Tinubu lobby Saraki for Fowler's approval? Is it because he is not qualified or what will be the Senate's reason for rejecting him? Who is more qualified and suitable than him considering he has worked in the same capacity in a state like Lagos and impacted the collection of tax immensely. If anything, rejection of Fowler will actually make Saraki's relationship with Buhari smoother (sarcasm). If dem born am well make hin try am. For me I'm waiting to see how far treachery will take Saraki and Tambuwal.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Orikinla(m): 8:10am On Aug 24, 2015
SenseiX:
A lot of people seemingly have grouses with Jagaban

You can never please everybody in this world.
Even Jesus Christ had many enemies and they condemned him to be crucified. But Almighty God raised him from the dead and today we are celebrating Jesus Christ and nobody even knows the names of his enemies then who were making jest of him as the son of a carpenter.

When Tinubu was a nobody, he could not even pass through the gates of the Ojoras, Tejuoshos, Dantatas, Dangotes, Mbanefos and other super snobbish upper class elites in the 1980s when I was even well received by these bourgeoisie. But he had a dream and found favour from God and God who qualifies the unqualified lifted him above all those who looked down on him as the son of nobody in those days and today he lives like a king among them and when he calls for an event, they all come to honour his invitation.
The life of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is a living testimony of the infinite grace of God. And he is also humble and God blessed him with a beautiful wife. A woman who is so humble that at her husband's birthday event in 2001, she was polite enough to say "excuse me" to me to let her pass through where I was standing with other invited guests when another First Lady would have ordered her body guards to clear the way for her. In 2002, Asiwaju sent a delegation to the premiere of my 'Sleepless Night" at the former Maison De France in Ikoyi, Lagos.
He did not owe me anything, but he was humble enough to respect me. And that is why I also respect him till date.
Anyone condemning Tinubu does not know God.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by sen8or(m): 8:12am On Aug 24, 2015
fashoo2010:
I believe dis is d period Tinubu and Saraki hav to settle their differences a little, if not those perceive to be Tinubu nominee will not be confirmed by Saraki... The earlier they settle, d better for them... Politics in dis dispensation is full of betraying, like cat and rat relationship... Which is not good for our development...which will hinder speedy development...
i pray they don't settle so that the worst can happen to any personal interest
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by eagleeye2: 8:12am On Aug 24, 2015
Realdeals:
Tinubu cannot control Fowler under Buhari administration, if any mago-mago happens, it will be an opportunity for PMB to punish Tinubu by proxy.
Tinubu will control the Reverend Vice President as well as this Fowler. Some of us have already forseen the type of CHANGE Tinubu wants. Change for his pockets alone, not Change because of National interest.
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by eddyslim(m): 8:12am On Aug 24, 2015
Tinubu finally begging SARAKI. Hehehehe, i no fit laugh.
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by ykwildchild: 8:16am On Aug 24, 2015
Happiness87:
till then asse lick ers

how? a profile thats public,IGR from 3Billion naira to close to 30billion naira..common be realistic for once

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by shaddoww: 8:17am On Aug 24, 2015
Normally if it were to b ministerial screening, he can only be disqualified if two out of the three senators from his state rejects his nomination, but I don't know about other appointments, but if it's d same, den he has no problem since he has the three by his side
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by ejirede: 8:17am On Aug 24, 2015
Happiness87:
till then asse lick ers

brainwash ke ? Someone that singlehandedly improve the lagos revenue from mere 8b to 28b in a month.He is the best for the job

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by eagleeye2: 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
brainpower:

Fowler as a person has little or nothing to lose whether her gets this appointment or not. But BAT needs Fowler there, so that his company Alpha Beta can dip its beak in the national treasury.
Imagine Alpha Beta being contracted to oversee the collection of taxes in Nigeria and getting 10% or 5% of all the IGR of Nigeria. Just close your eyes and imagine the money that will be accrued to one man, through proxy.
I repeat, BAT has a lot to gain if Fowler is approved by Senate.
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Happiness87(f): 8:19am On Aug 24, 2015
ykwildchild:

how? a profile thats public,IGR from 3Billion naira to close to 30billion naira..common be realistic for once
stop inflating fact, Lagos igr is yet to reach 30bn. but Of the about 20bn tinubu gets 15%

imagine when tinubu start getting 15% of trillions of internally generated revenue of this country

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by Happiness87(f): 8:23am On Aug 24, 2015
ejirede:
brainwash ke ? Someone that singlehandedly improve the lagos revenue from mere 8b to 28b in a month.He is the best for the job
how much was tinubu's share of the said 28bn
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by ejirede: 8:23am On Aug 24, 2015
eagleeye2:

Tinubu will control the Reverend Vice President as well as this Fowler. Some of us have already forseen the type of CHANGE Tinubu wants. Change for his pockets alone, not Change because of National interest.
but you are happy with the last government that ruin our economy.just wait and see how this country will be turn around by this administration
Re: Tinubu Lobbies Saraki, Senators Over Fowler by shaddoww: 8:25am On Aug 24, 2015
Orikinla:

You can never please everybody in this world.
Even Jesus Christ had many enemies and they condemned him to be crucified. But Almighty God raised him from the dead and today we are celebrating Jesus Christ and nobody even knows the names of his enemies then who were making jest of him as the son of a carpenter.

When Tinubu was a nobody, he could not even pass through the gates of the Ojoras, Tejuoshos, Dantatas, Dangotes, Mbanefos and other super snobbish upper class elites in the 1980s when I was even well received by these bourgeoisie. But he had a dream and found favour from God and God who qualifies the unqualified lifted him above all those who looked down on him as the son of nobody in those days and today he lives like a king among them and when he calls for an event, they all come to honour his invitation.
The life of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu is a living testimony of the infinite grace of God. And he is also humble and God blessed him with a beautiful wife. A woman who is so humble that at her husband's birthday event in 2001, she was polite enough to say "excuse me" to me to let her pass through where I was standing with other invited guests when another First Lady would have ordered her body guards to clear the way for her. In 2002, Asiwaju sent a delegation to the premiere of my 'Sleepless Night" at the former Maison De France in Ikoyi, Lagos.
He did not owe me anything, but he was humble enough to respect me. And that is why I also respect him till date.
Anyone condemning Tinubu does not know God.
When people were busy gathering money for themselves, he was busy raising men, and today he has them in every sector n people are now unnecessarily jealous, one thing they can't dispute is that his men are always competent, although his ways may be rough and he may not be perfect but u can't take away his contributions for Nigeria. And if dey keep taking it personal with him, Nigeria will definitely be affected cos he has become a pillar (opomulero).

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ben Murray-bruce Mocks NCC On Data Hike In His Latest Tweet - See Reactions / Buratai Meets With Military Officers In London (Photos) / "Warrior Meets Warrior" - FFK And Fayose Meet At PDP Convention (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.