Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,730 members, 7,802,209 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court (25115 Views)

Police Forced Me To Admit To Crime – Robbery Suspect / Four Robbery Suspects Subjected To Jungle Justice, Die In Police Custody / Poverty Forced Us Into Baby Factory Business – Suspects (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Rilwayne001: 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2015

The robbery suspects who allegedly robbed banks
in Ikorodu have told the Federal High Court in
Lagos that the confessional statements they made to
the police were not voluntary.

Their lawyer Olusegun Akanbi is also praying the
court to order the police to produce them if they
are still alive.

He said the suspects “made confessional statements
to the members of the press out of duress”.
He argued that it is illegal for the police to parade
criminal suspects and have them grant press
interviews under compulsion.

The lawyer is praying the court for an order
compelling the police to produce the four suspects
in court because their families were denied access
to them.

The accused persons are Agbojule Bright, Promise
Abiwa, Monday Omoboye and Monday Ikuesan.
They were paraded on July 6 in connection with the
robbery of the Ipakodo branches of First Bank and
Zenith Bank in Ikorodu.

The police said they were part of an 18-man gang
which made away with about N80million in the
robbery on June 24.

The four suspects had reportedly confessed to
playing different roles in the alleged crime while
three Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs) allegedly bought
with the robbery proceeds were recovered from
them.

Akanbi claimed that the police violated the suspects’
right to remain silent or to avoid answering any
questions until after consulting with a lawyer in line
with Section 35(2) of the 1999 Constitution.
According to the lawyer, the suspects may not get a
fair trial since they have “already suffered prejudice
in the eye of the public due to unfair publicity and
unprofessional acts of the defendants.”

He claimed that the police refused to allow him or
the suspects’ family members to see them in
detention.

“The applicants’ counsel were not allowed to see the
applicants or even to have a brief interview with
them when they visited the defendants on 15th July

“The applicants’ constitutional rights under Section
36 of the 1999 Constitution are at stake because
the defendants have already taken a biased position
by denying the applicants’ family or their counsel
their right of visiting them in police custody.
“It will be in the interest of justice if the applicants
are brought before this honourable court so that
the court can ascertain whether the applicants are
still alive.

“It will be in the interest of justice if the applicants
can be charged by the defendants to court since
they have already spent over 24 hours in custody.
“Failure to do this will amount to usurpation of the
constitutional powers of the judiciary,” the lawyer
argued.

He claimed that the suspects were entitled to
N5million damages for what he described as their
unlawful detention.

Justice Mohammed Yunusa adjourned to September
7 to enable the Inspector-General of Police
Solomon Arase respond to the suit.

http://thenationonlineng.net/police-forced-us-to-confess-ikorodu-robbery-suspects-tell-court/

lalasticlala.

4 Likes

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by chocolateme(f): 5:57pm On Aug 24, 2015
The lawyer is right, that they are robbers doesn't mean they don't have right to an attorney..
Sometimes these police officers takes law into their hands and even carry jungle justice on criminals.
They should follow due process.

FTC

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by kkkp: 6:04pm On Aug 24, 2015
When naija police go get sense..
90 percent of suspects are innocent. Naija police go just come pack everybody from the scene wey d tin hapun

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by kkkp: 6:05pm On Aug 24, 2015
chocolateme:
y are u booking space?

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by enoqueen: 6:05pm On Aug 24, 2015
Very TRUE, they were force to confess.

I saw it live on TVC that afternoon, (the unedited version)the police officer was insisting that he should say he did it. They quickly removed it.

It was later edited before 10pm news to suit their satisfaction.

Useless police.

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by madridguy(m): 6:06pm On Aug 24, 2015
NAIJA POLICE I HAIL OOOOO.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2015
Police is our friend !

Arsenal go spoil many people naija bet ticket today

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by wisefizz(m): 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2015
PROBE HIM

4 Likes

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Barselonia(m): 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2015
Alright
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by chocolateme(f): 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2015
kkkp:
y are u booking space?
what are you talking about? Check who you are quoting.
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by jnrbayano(m): 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2015
Unprofessional policing as usual.

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Nobody: 6:11pm On Aug 24, 2015
I knew it! I said it! Naija police ....

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by AmakaDNB(f): 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
shocked
Check our blog
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by midolian(m): 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
I thought as much..

This is what our police do just to make pple think they are working..After every big robbery attack, they ll go out there and pick pple randomly(especially the guys smoking and drinking in their joints),.. Next thing is 'torture them',.. Place guns, bullets and charms in front of them...And finally arrange for the press. SMH

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
I don't need to be told.

Don't be surprised that those guys have been killed. Later, you will hear that they attempted to escape from their cells.

12 Likes

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
I suspected this o....

Naija police....very predictable.

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by CR77(f): 6:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
Police is our friend indeed grin grin

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by missionmex(m): 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
Serious?
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by dhesire(m): 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
Something is fishy here.
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Viktor1983(m): 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
enoqueen:
Very TRUE, they were force to confess.
I saw it live on TVC that afternoon, (the unedited version)the police officer was insisting that he should say he did it. They quickly removed it.
It was later edited before 10pm news to suit their satisfaction.
Useless police.

Hmmm.

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by fabre4: 6:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
hnmnm
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Eshinery(m): 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Tobbey(m): 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
hehya

1 Like

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by kkkp: 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
chocolateme:
what are you talking about? Check who you are quoting.
hahahhaha u b ghost
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by Richie0974: 6:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
I hope a day will come when the Nigeria Police will truly be our friend....In another news..

Happy birthday to me.... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by oluwafemi113(m): 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2015
Only in Naija
Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by NoRetreat(m): 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2015
chocolateme:
The lawyer is right, that they are robbers doesn't mean they don't have right to an attorney..
Sometimes these police officers takes law into their hands and even carry jungle justice on criminals.
They should follow due process.
I pray you will never experience Robbery scene o. Robbers are claiming human rights what of the lives wasted? Those ones should ask for animal right? Capital offences are treated differently.

3 Likes

Re: Police Forced Us To Confess, Ikorodu Robbery Suspects Tell Court by parzdor(m): 6:15pm On Aug 24, 2015
Let's be cops

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Soldier 'Thunder' Is After My Life!!! / I Made N6million As A Fake Lawyer – Suspect / Man 37, Beheaded By Suspected Ritualist In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.