Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,669 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (589) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4366358 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 5:14pm On Jan 20, 2017
erico2k2:

We wey dey abroad dey plan to pot bck 2 9ja. U wan take off? grin
No be to resign ooo, but look for short stay openings within the same Organization in other countries for 1-2 months.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
twinskenny:

The painting will be messed up here

That's because pride of workmanship is mostly lacking now in Nigeria.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:08pm On Jan 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

"Wetin concern me" attitude... Peril.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:58pm On Jan 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

That because everybody want to be rich overnight, Na him be the biggest problem of our country today. At least everyone don see waiting seed of corruption way they plant reap now.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 8:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
AdenijiSeun:
In need of quick cash to meet pressing needs? Maybe to pay school fees, house rent or to start a business etc. Call 0 9 0 8 7 0 9 0 7 3 2 for fast access to cash without collateral. Get cash within 48hrs! It's reliable and flexible

This one Na NNN after MMM
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 8:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
Larwin:

I wish Lagos state can plan communal water system too to prevent all this indiscriminate drilling of boreholes. Also most house owners in lagos cant afford to go for deep boreholes as the price could be outrageous....deep boreholes in Lagos ranges from as low as 450k to as high as 5m whereas you can get a shallow borehole for very low prices around 80k to 120k.

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling

To be honest though if you can afford to build a house in Lagos especially on the island, drilling a borehole at a cost of 1 m should not be a problem just saying. I would rather wait and work my behind off to save that money than drill a shallow borehole at 120k and then end up drinking my neighbor's shit and piss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 10:20pm On Jan 20, 2017
44chux:
A lot of houses I know with amoured security doors that have been robbed, ended up being burgled with the rubbers breaking the walls beside the doors with a cheap sledge hammer, or simply driving in behind the home owner.

All this security is just to discourage those ones looking for soft target.

Just thinking out loud shaa...

You are absolutely correct!
Except you are armed with some Pump-Action and unlimited armo ANYONE can be robbed in their home by a determined and seasoned group of Armed Robbers.

You actually can categorise Robbers into three groups:
1.) The seasoned ones, usually hired Killers/Assassins: These ones are not here to steal your personal effects (and since your home is not a bank vault), they have just come to kill you, at home (for effects, as they could do it elsewhere!). Walls and Gates and all that shyte is ineffective against them. they would shoot your Dogs if they make as much as a whimper. Bullets is not scarce with these types and they come prepared (generator, iron cutter and all the tools).
Your only chance is if you are well-armed too but these types of robbers are not common because they go for specific jobs and the pay-out is not small change.

2.) The organised Armed robbers looking to make big money: These ones are looking for pay-dirt, jewelries, cash kept at home, even luxury vehicles. They usually act on information that you have "something valuable at home", most likely from some lose-tongue associate (Cooks, Cleaners, Gate-man, business colleagues,friends and family members).
They watch and survey your movements for sometime before trying to gain entry. Most would tail you and follow you as you drive-in or drive-out. Some would follow your guests/children to gain "easy access" or just put a gun to your head and ask you to lead them in.
They dont have unlimited armo so they dont/cant waste bullets. When they muster enough fire power, they would rather rob a bank/bullion van, than rob an individual home but we also know that some homes are 'richer' than a bank's vault! grin

Whether you have a high fence or short one makes no difference for them to gain entrance BUT a see-through one could assist you to raise alarm as people can observe what is going-on inside and may notice "unusual activity" thus leading to raising an alarm.
because they are 'short' on armo, they dont want a prolonged shoot-out (if police or armed-help eventually comes .....I said "armed help" because you cannot always rely on the Police to arrive on-time but in some areas, almost everyone owns at least one gun and Home owners have a coded distress-call which makes everyone to "shoot at anything that is unknown but moving"! Its a sort of community alert).
So, see-through fence has it advantages over high -fence (with the disadvantage of "lack of complete privacy). but very determined thieves of the first category are not bothered with your high fence.

3.) The 'local Robbers': These are usually 'cult groups" within that area. Boys who band together to do 'jobs' because they need money. They are opportunistic in nature. they just look for the 'weakest house' (security-wise), that can provide the highest 'reward' for their effort.
usually, they dont have more than a few/five bullets and two guns at most. These are the types that scale your fence to rob you!
These types are afraid of a fierce Dog or group of Dogs.
if your fence is too high or is electrified, these types will just avoid you and go to the next house
These types dont ever try rob certain neighbourhoods because they know they will likely not come out alive.
But they are the most prevalent because they dont need much effort to get away with it.

All-in-all, your "security" has to be viewed from the point of 'the sort of threat' you face or are likely to face.
In some areas/situation, Dogs would help raise the alarm when yo are not aware (maybe sleeping), if the robbers have not shot them or poisoned them first.
In some areas/situation, High, electrified fence and Dogs would deter most of the threats you could face but not all.
See-through fence is good in high-density areas and it contributes to "collective security" though the lack of privacy is a draw-back but in such places, that is the least of your worry.

One thing l think everyone should have, irrespective of the kind of threat you may face, is a CCTV system, a robust one...... not the package ones that are common in our environment.
Good & Sturdy Cameras, Remote monitoring, Remote alarm, Remote storage, PIRS, Motion detectors, e.t.c

The thing is when the Robbery is done and concluded, you should be sure that the perpetrators would be caught and dealt with, by the law courts or through personal vengeance.... when you have the video evidence.
I hate it when they get away, scott-free! That really annoys me a lot

It can also deter those opportunistic, "local ones" because they know they will be caught and you can even monitor your surroundings from a distance so that the "follow-enter" types are neutralised because you would have seen them "hanging around".
I hope we all remember how Funsho Williams was killed at his Osborne Road Residence, by people waiting for him in his Bedroom?

Finally, the greatest security (IMO) is from God alone.
If "your hands are clean", there is a very high chance that you would not fall prey to the opportunistic rogues and when/if you do, with certain precautions taken initially, "heavens will help those who have helped themselves".

But all this is just by the way. One would die, when one would die and there is no need to fret.

Lastpage!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2017
lastpage:

Except you are armed with some Pump-Action and unlimited armo ANYONE can be robbed in their home by a determined and seasoned group of Armed Robbers.

1.) The seasoned ones, usually hired Killers/Assassins: These ones are not here to steal your personal effects (and since your home is not a bank vault), they have just come to kill you, at home (for effects, as they could do it elsewhere!). Walls and Gates and all that shyte is ineffective against them. they would shoot your Dogs if they make as much as a whimper. Bullets is not scarce with these types and they come prepared (generator, iron cutter and all the tools).
Your only chance is if you are well-armed too but these types of robbers are not common because they go for specific jobs and the pay-out is not small change.

2.) The organised Armed robbers looking to make big money: These ones are looking for pay-dirt, jewelries, cash kept at home, even luxury vehicles. They usually act on information that you have "something valuable at home", most likely from some lose-tongue associate (Cooks, Cleaners, Gate-man, business colleagues,friends and family members).
They watch and survey your movements for sometime before trying to gain entry. Most would tail you and follow you as you drive-in or drive-out. Some would follow your guests/children to gain "easy access" or just put a gun to your head and ask you to lead them in.
They dont have unlimited armo so they dont/cant waste bullets. When they muster enough fire power, they would rather rob a bank/bullion van, than rob an individual home but we also know that some homes are 'richer' than a bank's vault! grin

Whether you have a high fence or short one makes no difference for them to gain entrance BUT a see-through one could assist you to raise alarm as people can observe what is going-on inside and may notice "unusual activity" thus leading to raising an alarm.
because they are 'short' on armo, they dont want a prolonged shoot-out (if police or armed-help eventually comes .....I said "armed help" because you cannot always rely on the Police to arrive on-time but in some areas, almost everyone owns at least one gun and Home owners have a coded distress-call which makes everyone to "shoot at anything that is unknown but moving"! Its a sort of community alert).
So, see-through fence has it advantages over high -fence (with the disadvantage of "lack of complete privacy). but very determined thieves of the first category are not bothered with your high fence.

3.) The 'local Robbers': These are usually 'cult groups" within that area. Boys who band together to do 'jobs' because they need money. They are opportunistic in nature. they just look for the 'weakest house' (security-wise), that can provide the highest 'reward' for their effort.
usually, they dont have more than a few/five bullets and two guns at most. These are the types that scale your fence to rob you!
if your fence is too high or is electrified, these types will just avoid you and go to the next house
These types dont ever try rob certain neighbourhoods because they know they will likely not come out alive.
But they are the most prevalent because they dont need much effort to get away with it.

All-in-all, your "security" has to be viewed from the point of 'the sort of threat' you face or are likely to face.
In some areas/situation, Dogs would help raise the alarm when yo are not aware (maybe sleeping), if the robbers have not shot them or poisoned them first.
In some areas/situation, High, electrified fence and Dogs would deter most of the threats you could face but not all.
See-through fence is good in high-density areas and it contributes to "collective security" though the lack of privacy is a draw-back but in such places, that is the least of your worry.

One thing l think everyone should have, irrespective of the kind of threat you may face, is a CCTV system, a robust one...... not the package ones that are common in our environment.
Good & Sturdy Cameras, Remote monitoring, Remote alarm, Remote storage, PIRS, Motion detectors, e.t.c

The thing is when the Robbery is done and concluded, you should be sure that the perpetrators would be caught and dealt with, by the law courts or through personal vengeance.... when you have the video evidence.

It can also deter those opportunistic, "local ones" because they know they will be caught and you can even monitor your surroundings from a distance so that the "follow-enter" types are neutralised because you would have seen them "hanging around".
I hope we all remember how Funsho Williams was killed at his Osborne Road Residence, by people waiting for him in his Bedroom?

If "your hands are clean", there is a very high chance that you would not fall prey to the opportunistic rogues and when/if you do, with certain precautions taken initially, "heavens will help those who have helped themselves".

But all this is just by the way. One would die, when one would die and there is no need to fret.

Lastpage!

Wow !!! Brilliant and well articulated with several useful tips cool

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 3:14am On Jan 21, 2017
AngelicBeing:

Can someone tell me the current price of this barb wire. I am planning to buy 12 bundles for standard plot 120/60
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:41am On Jan 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

That or a leak.

Or maybe we need to investigate the diet your dad has you kids on grin
Nice diet all the time. Agbo ki ki grin shocked

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 4:44am On Jan 21, 2017
AngelicBeing:

Hello, Can someone tell me the current price of this barb wire. Sample picture attached.
I am planning to buy 12 bundles for standard plot 120/60.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:20am On Jan 21, 2017
kopell:
That because everybody want to be rich overnight, Na him be the biggest problem of our country today. At least everyone don see waiting seed of corruption way they plant reap now.

We pay too little for labour and we expect exceptional quality.

When you pay a bricklayer N3,500 per day working from 8:00am to 6pm and you expect him to give his all.

It is not a crime if everyone wants to be comfortable, if all your artisans can afford to buy a car, build a simple bungalow, afford to send their children to school and have adequate spending power to be lower middle income class, I think they will motivated enough to take artisantry work very serious.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:22am On Jan 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

That is because society treat artisan poorly.
When people get paid adequately, they give their all

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:32am On Jan 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yeah, the ultimate solution is waste treatment facility. Any individual scheme that still leaves any "flow" into the soil is ultimately still half a solution.

Treating water at home in Nigeria is critical. I'm not at a stage yet to investigate that but I'm sure that there companies providing these setups in Nigeria.

What happened in Flint, USA was an eye opener.

Waste treatment plant is the way to go. What he demonstrated above still pollute the soil.

Having a central sewage treatment plant will find in a long way to help solve problem of underground water, river and open water contamination

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 21, 2017
abdulwastecx:

That is because society treat artisan poorly.
When people get paid adequately, they give their all

grin

That's laughable and the reason why some outfits won't grow and others do grow like Skimanski and Spyder880.

Artisans should have a minimum standard and service fee stated that shows their level of commitment.

In my opinion, as a layperson, is that unlike developed countries which many of us here are used to, there's no reporting done to licensing organizations.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 21, 2017
abdulwastecx:

Waste treatment plant is the way to go. What he demonstrated above still pollute the soil.

Having a central sewage treatment plant will find in a long way to help solve problem of underground water, river and open water contamination

Can I buy you a beer? grin

It's elementary that any system that still polluted the ground is like putting lipstick on a pig.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:41am On Jan 21, 2017
Truthinlife:
Hello, Can someone tell me the current price of this barb wire. Sample picture attached.
I am planning to buy 12 bundles for standard plot 120/60.
l didn't use any in my build in Nigeria, contact spyder880, (Hajj Mufutau55 & Egunmogaji ) both of them are the Chairmen planning committee of Donald Trump inauguration and also CEO of Nairaland property section, they will point you to the right direction and where to get it cheap wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:43am On Jan 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Can I buy you a beer? grin

It's elementary that any system that still polluted the ground is like putting lipstick on a pig.
grin cheesy wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gbenke: 12:37pm On Jan 21, 2017
FastShipping:

It is the other way around in the US. We paint here before neatly tiling the floor.

This is very true cos the floor is fully prepared I. e leveling etc and also the bonding material is cleaner and neater (Cement gum) unlike the use of our conventional Cement and Sharp sand that gets the whole place messed up.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dearpiriye: 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2017
Good afternoon, please how many blocks will be needed to build 10 rooms of the size 12 by 14?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dearpiriye: 2:43pm On Jan 21, 2017
Good afternoon, please how many blocks will be needed to build 10 rooms of the size 12 by 14?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:11pm On Jan 21, 2017
abdulwastecx:

Yes! Waste treatment plant is absolutely the way to go. I agree. But we (Nigeria) don't have anything of such and probably will not have it for a considerable length of time. In the meantime what do we do ? stop the current system and adopt International standard championed by the United Nations. UN? yes UN. See below pictorial depiction of wastewater treatment processes. In ALL the processes please notice the role of the natural soil in the filtration (treatment) process. A greater percentage of the water we drink abroad is treated shyte water.

Treating your household waste as I've tried to bring to our notice DOES NOT contaminate the soil, it is using the soil to treat it just as the soil will treat mud water (portor portor) after the rains. Natural soil water treatment is the reverse process of evaporation. Look at the photos below, you will notice that wastewater is treated in larger scale just like the two chamber septic system. Same science. Lets not fall prey to conscious illiteracy just to win a non argument. The current septic system in Nigeria is NOT working; help champion this.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 8:39pm On Jan 21, 2017
yea Mr diordaves, i think the real issue is Nigeria is lacking all these treatment facilities and if you look at it critically, nobody really check on where all these shyte sucking companies are dropping dere stuffs. what we care about is them emptying our septic tanks.

Now if these people are just dropping these shytes indiscrimately in lets say a river or nearby village, what will be the effect on the people taking shallow water or even stream water. Yea, its true soils have natural treatment capacity to filter contaminants with depth

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 21, 2017
diordaves:

Yes! Waste treatment plant is absolutely the way to go. I agree. But we (Nigeria) don't have anything of such and probably will not have it for a considerable length of time. In the meantime what do we do ? stop the current system and adopt International standard championed by the United Nations. UN? yes UN. See below pictorial depiction of wastewater treatment processes. In ALL the processes please notice the role of the natural soil in the filtration (treatment) process. A greater percentage of the water we drink abroad is treated shyte water.

Treating your household waste as I've tried to bring to our notice DOES NOT contaminate the soil, it is using the soil to treat it just as the soil will treat mud water (portor portor) after the rains. Natural soil water treatment is the reverse process of evaporation. Look at the photos below, you will notice that wastewater is treated in larger scale just like the two chamber septic system. Same science. Lets not fall prey to conscious illiteracy just to win a non argument. The current septic system in Nigeria is NOT working; help champion this.

Dude, you're not seriously going to start comparing your little home project with a commercial scheme are you?

There's nothing here to champion except polished turd.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 9:30pm On Jan 21, 2017
abdulwastecx:

Bro, how about some offshore locations that treat their waste with bacteria tablet only, the waste is then sent to another chamber before being pumped into the sea, this is a common practise and it meets international environmental regulations. Is that what you term a central sewage system? Cos the same bacteria occur naturally in the soil which I guess it's the reason people don't add it to soakaway at home
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:51pm On Jan 21, 2017
diordaves:

Waste Treatment exercise already exist in Nigeria. Its even among Lagos state regulation that not waste should be removed from any property, instead owners should have a functioning treatment process to deal with the waste. So hopefully in a short while it will be everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 11:47pm On Jan 21, 2017
The H-pipe is not supposed to be closed at the top. If it's closed, when liquid in the first and second chamber reach the horizontal of the H-pipe, liquid will fail to flow into the second chamber as trapped air in the H-pipe won't be able to escape.

The pictorial representation at draindomain.com might appear to be covered but in reality it is not. I followed their approach too with a slight modification.

diordaves:
More Plastering and Plumbing work

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:51am On Jan 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Dude, you're not seriously going to start comparing your little home project with a commercial scheme are you?

There are different types of waste treatment facilities. Most just treat the water for irrigation or disposal. Only few treat for reuse. They all meet the minimum standard for effluent discharge just as these septic tank treatment facilities also do (the efficient ones of course). I read a book a while ago that the main reason central sewage system sold was that there were not enough drainage fields due to cities being densely populated and that the septic tank system is still being used in many parts of developed countries.

The challenge of central sewage treatment is the recurrent running costs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:15am On Jan 22, 2017
mank1234:
The H-pipe is not supposed to be closed at the top. If it's closed, when liquid in the first and second chamber reach the horizontal of the H-pipe, liquid will fail to flow into the second chamber as trapped air in the H-pipe won't be able to escape.

The pictorial representation at draindomain.com might appear to be covered but in reality it is not. I followed their approach too with a slight modification.

!

This is what we are talking about. Well done for playing your "small" part in moving away from the current system that is NOT working. Please don't forget to educate your environment and champion the cause. Public Health in Nigeria is something else. Do you want me to show you photos of abattoirs in Nigeria? You no go eat meat again till you die I swear !

Thanks for your observation and bringing this up. I will revisit the installation to make improvement.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 1:18am On Jan 22, 2017
lastpage:

Lastpage!

Wonderful piece!!!

...and yet tomorrow some moniker will want to deprive this forum of contributions like these...

Edit: Why go through the stress of gun ownership when it can be hired for as cheap as ~₦2k/day/police_officer after the initial approval letter (which can cost up to ₦500k shaa but the cost can be shared among various beneficiaries like neighbors in this case)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:31am On Jan 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

This is what I've been saying all along and probably this is what your small brother kicked against about your planned septic build..........the turd needs to be polished minimum twice over. Failure to do so is harming lives. How difficult is that to understand. It's not rock science really.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:40am On Jan 22, 2017
diordaves:

This is what I've been saying all along and probably this is what your small brother kicked against about your planned septic build..........the turd needs to be polished minimum twice over. Failure to do so is harming lives. How difficult is that to understand. It's not rock science really.

You don't get it.

There's nothing new that you've shown yet that's different from existing technology. I was hoping that you are coming up with something earth shattering but you just added one more chamber and there's still shyte water being introduced to the soil.

Come up with something innovative and you won't have to sell it so hard.

(1) (2) (3) ... (586) (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Itzkingtimmy(m), gbadexy(m), ChybuzzDD(m), Blazinraj01(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.