Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,793 members, 7,802,524 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (627) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4352431 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) (629) (630) ... (3656) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:59pm On Feb 27, 2017
mavverick:
Is this something that is sold or needs to be made ? Also does that mean 3 floating switches ? IF you got some info on this device, that would be helpful.

Thre are many way of doing this, I will explain when am less busy. It's can be made or find one that can work for the purpose you need for. Some thing like this, this one is made by students that came to my office for internship or industrial attachment as the call it there.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:31pm On Feb 27, 2017
mavverick:
Oga Spyder

All respect and hailing you as usual. These pics are very good and helps in the learning process, I have advised some friends on water tank based on my own experience, but I want to run something pass you/PRO's in the house as well, just to help validate my point.

So initially I wanted just 2 tanks on same level to be connected to each other, but things happened and I didn't get what I wanted (long story). Anyway, now i find myself in a position whereby I got 3 tanks on 3 levels (bottom 2 supply same place and are linked), honestly speaking I dont like it like that. Its too complicated as I like simplicity, I bought floating switch and the corresponding 4mm cable to power it, now I have had to disconnect the floating switch because there was just no efficient way for it to work.

Installing the floating switch on the top most tank would switch off the pump if it became full, irrespective of whether the bottom 2 were empty, so what was happening was that the top most would get full, and middle for example half full and borehole will switch off. So i disconnected it and then split the borehole supply pipe into 3, one for each tank with an isolation valve to open/close it independently.

So the security guy has to pump water into tank 1, wait for it to get full, then switch off the valve and then move onto tank 2 etc.

If there any automation that can be introduced in this particular case to remove that manual intervention and yet have all 3 tanks efficiently filled up ?

Moving forward, I advise friends to put it on same level, that way you link the tanks and you can also have floating switch working. As it is now, I bought floating switch and like 100m of 4mm cable, although I will remove the cable and use it elsewhere.

You may not need this seemingly complicated switch board mechanism. Why not simplify things by re-pipping to use the traditional time tested method: float valve.

It's the same mechanism to stop float in WC at home. It's highly effective, no matter the water pressure, once the tank is full it FULL STOP. See pix.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:33pm On Feb 27, 2017
diordaves:

You may not need this seemingly complicated switch board mechanism. Why not simplify things by re-pipping to use the traditional time tested method: float valve.

It's the same mechanism to stop float in WC at home. It's highly effective, no matter the water pressure, once the tank is full it FULL STOP. See pix.

My thoughts exactly.

The KISS principle.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hoyo: 2:48pm On Feb 27, 2017
hello house, should we expect reduction in building materials with the recent increase in naira valuation

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 3:08pm On Feb 27, 2017
diordaves:

Right very effective current, remember these are multiple tank on different levels. Pls help explain in lay man term how to repipe the floater, without any kind of brain that will tell the systems to push water from lower tank to next tank at the other level. Pls don't be offended we are here to learn and help each other. Remember I said many ways.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 3:22pm On Feb 27, 2017
I am writing this review not to cast aspersion on anybody's character but to guide and inform would be (future) clients on the likely quality of service they may get when you engage Engr Osaz – real name Osazuwa Enobakhare
I wanted to do pile foundation for a property at Ikate Elegushi, Lekki area of Lagos.
I got three quotes from nairalanders and after careful analysis and comparison, I decided to go with Engr. Osaz. I must confess my decision to go with Engr. Osaz was after reading the nice review written by one of his client, a medical doctor about the good job Engr. Osaz did for him at Isheri and also because he repeatedly stated that he is a structural engineer and will ensure the project will be properly & personally supervised.

After initial discussion and a quote was sent, I requested for a contract, he mentioned it won’t be necessary because the job is not that “big and serious”.
He sent his quote and I did not negotiate at all because I believe I am getting a value added service after Engr. Osaz assured me that he being a structural engineer will ensure the project is properly supervised and handled.
After mobilizing him with about 25% of the project cost, he came to site with some equipment, I enquired from him where the drilling machine is, I was shocked when he said he will use hand drilling option. I informed him I am not comfortable with this option because the piles are 10 meters deep, and 450mm diameter for 45 pile points. At no time did he specified that hand drilling will be used. Lesson learnt is that when dealing with people, there should be no assumption at all.
He reviewed the cost upward. At that time I was not willing to go ahead with him again. He had dug a borehole (I agreed to provide the submersible pump). I informed him that he should deduct the cost of the borehole and transport for the hand drills. I stated categorically that I will only use mechanical drilling machine, he said he review the cost and get back to me. He reviewed the cost upward by 300k. I perused and informed him he should just refund me less borehole and transport cost, he later sent another email that he has reverted to the original quote.
At this point, I sensed it may be difficult and hectic to retrieve money from Engr. Osaz without it getting ugly or resulting to waste of time, I decided to go ahead with him. He requested for additional funds. I was not willing to part with more funds without seeing the drilling machine on site. He persuaded me that once I move the funds to him, he will bring the machine and move to site and ensure there is good progress on the project. After paying him, it took about two days for him to bring the machine to site. I lost my cool and reached out to him. I practically called him about 2o times within a period of 5 hours, his phone did not go through, always going to voicemail.
Eventually, the next day, they started drilling, I got to site, I could not see any casting machine, I asked Osaz, Osaz said they will use dry mix. I have a supervising engineer on site who at this time became so furious and refused to allow work to proceed until a casting machine is brought to site. Osaz refused to provide a casting machine, stating the cost will be borne by me. I made arrangement for 6 days for casting machine and operator. I paid from my pocket for this. At this point, Osaz had been paid about 78% of the project cost.
My supervising engineer is always on site and was not happy with the handling and execution of the project. Osaz apparently subcontracted the drilling job to someone else and was not there to supervise as he had promised. About the 4th day, 26 pile points had been drilled and casted.
On day 5, Osaz came late in the evening to site and was having challenges paying the caster 10,000. Nobody was supervising the casting process. He charged me over 3 times of what he was paying them. My engineer informed me about this and I was really upset.
I came to site the next morning, the caster informed me that the casting crew are not happy with the rate Osaz is paying them, they had casted 5 points the day before and each of them got 1,000 each. I arranged 6 workers, promised to pay them 2,200 per point, bought shovels and decided to take over the casting as I was really disappointed with the way Osaz was going about the project.
In the Afternoon, I got the greatest shock on this project, the drillers down tooled, Osaz had only paid them for 20 points and they were supposed to be paid for another 20 points before they can proceed. I had to breach protocol, I engaged the drillers because I cannot afford my project to be stalled. (I am also paying for the casting machine on a daily basis) I enquired how much is being owed for the remaining 25 pile points. They told me it is 375,000. I moved 300,000 to the owner of the drilling machine and he immediately directed his boys to commence work. Osaz was no where to be found, he was incommunicado. He had the effrontery to call me and tell me cock and bull stories. I told him I have left him to God but I just had to let people know the type of person this guy is.
AT the end, I paid for the concrete job for the last 12 points, I paid the drillers a sum of N375,000
Net, I lost some money but not so much, Osaz abandoned the job after he had collected a huge chunk of money from me for the project.
He stopped coming to site altogether and most painful is when you call him and his phone does not go through. His is the most irresponsible behavior I have seen in a “professional”. I told him that most of my artisans that are not educated are more reliable and protect their reputation better.
Osaz is not a man of his words, as a feedback, I will never engage Engr Osaz again and if I know anyone that is interested in engaging him, I will advise the party accordingly.
That is my personal experience with this man

15 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:25pm On Feb 27, 2017
hoyo:
hello house, should we expect reduction in building materials with the recent increase in naira valuation

grin cheesy cool grin

Don't hold your breath.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:28pm On Feb 27, 2017
kopell:
Right very effective current, remember these are multiple tank on different levels. Pls help explain in lay man term how to repipe the floater, without any kind of brain that will tell the systems to push water from lower tank to next tank at the other level. Pls don't be offended we are here to learn and help each other.

I'm rarely offended. It's ok.

All that may be needed is to get a two-way splitter or connector. Pipe one inlet to the upper tank and pipe the other to the lower tank. Whichever tank that got full first will stop receiving further water and when the other is full, it stops as well. Shikena.

See pix

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hoyo: 3:33pm On Feb 27, 2017
nice one MR olawale, i thought we have seen the end of fraud on NL property, didnt know another one is springing up, Engr Osaz, where @thou, come and answer your query....Nigerians and fraud na 5&6 shocked shocked shocked

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 27, 2017
kopell:
Right very effective current, remember these are multiple tank on different levels. Pls help explain in lay man term how to repipe the floater, without any kind of brain that will tell the systems to push water from lower tank to next tank at the other level. Pls don't be offended we are here to learn and help each other. Remember I said many ways.

Very easy.

Bypass valves allow flow to continue to other tanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:
I am writing this review not to cast aspersion on anybody's character but to guide and inform would be (future) clients on the likely quality of service they may get when you engage Engr Osaz – real name Osazuwa Enobakhare
I wanted to do pile foundation for a property at Ikate Elegushi, Lekki area of Lagos.
I got three quotes from nairalanders and after careful analysis and comparison, I decided to go with Engr. Osaz. I must confess my decision to go with Engr. Osaz was after reading the nice review written by one of his client, a medical doctor about the good job Engr. Osaz did for him at Isheri and also because he repeatedly stated that he is a structural engineer and will ensure the project will be properly & personally supervised.

After initial discussion and a quote was sent, I requested for a contract, he mentioned it won’t be necessary because the job is not that “big and serious”.
He sent his quote and I did not negotiate at all because I believe I am getting a value added service after Engr. Osaz assured me that he being a structural engineer will ensure the project is properly supervised and handled.
After mobilizing him with about 25% of the project cost, he came to site with some equipment, I enquired from him where the drilling machine is, I was shocked when he said he will use hand drilling option. I informed him I am not comfortable with this option because the piles are 10 meters deep, and 450mm diameter for 45 pile points. At no time did he specified that hand drilling will be used. Lesson learnt is that when dealing with people, there should be no assumption at all.
He reviewed the cost upward. At that time I was not willing to go ahead with him again. He had dug a borehole (I agreed to provide the submersible pump). I informed him that he should deduct the cost of the borehole and transport for the hand drills. I stated categorically that I will only use mechanical drilling machine, he said he review the cost and get back to me. He reviewed the cost upward by 300k. I perused and informed him he should just refund me less borehole and transport cost, he later sent another email that he has reverted to the original quote.
At this point, I sensed it may be difficult and hectic to retrieve money from Engr. Osaz without it getting ugly or resulting to waste of time, I decided to go ahead with him. He requested for additional funds. I was not willing to part with more funds without seeing the drilling machine on site. He persuaded me that once I move the funds to him, he will bring the machine and move to site and ensure there is good progress on the project. After paying him, it took about two days for him to bring the machine to site. I lost my cool and reached out to him. I practically called him about 2o times within a period of 5 hours, his phone did not go through, always going to voicemail.
Eventually, the next day, they started drilling, I got to site, I could not see any casting machine, I asked Osaz, Osaz said they will use dry mix. I have a supervising engineer on site who at this time became so furious and refused to allow work to proceed until a casting machine is brought to site. Osaz refused to provide a casting machine, stating the cost will be borne by me. I made arrangement for 6 days for casting machine and operator. I paid from my pocket for this. At this point, Osaz had been paid about 78% of the project cost.
My supervising engineer is always on site and was not happy with the handling and execution of the project. Osaz apparently subcontracted the drilling job to someone else and was not there to supervise as he had promised. About the 4th day, 26 pile points had been drilled and casted.
On day 5, Osaz came late in the evening to site and was having challenges paying the caster 10,000. Nobody was supervising the casting process. He charged me over 3 times of what he was paying them. My engineer informed me about this and I was really upset.
I came to site the next morning, the caster informed me that the casting crew are not happy with the rate Osaz is paying them, they had casted 5 points the day before and each of them got 1,000 each. I arranged 6 workers, promised to pay them 2,200 per point, bought shovels and decided to take over the casting as I was really disappointed with the way Osaz was going about the project.
In the Afternoon, I got the greatest shock on this project, the drillers down tooled, Osaz had only paid them for 20 points and they were supposed to be paid for another 20 points before they can proceed. I had to breach protocol, I engaged the drillers because I cannot afford my project to be stalled. (I am also paying for the casting machine on a daily basis) I enquired how much is being owed for the remaining 25 pile points. They told me it is 375,000. I moved 300,000 to the owner of the drilling machine and he immediately directed his boys to commence work. Osaz was no where to be found, he was incommunicado. He had the effrontery to call me and tell me cock and bull stories. I told him I have left him to God but I just had to let people know the type of person this guy is.
AT the end, I paid for the concrete job for the last 12 points, I paid the drillers a sum of N375,000
Net, I lost some money but not so much, Osaz abandoned the job after he had collected a huge chunk of money from me for the project.
He stopped coming to site altogether and most painful is when you call him and his phone does not go through. His is the most irresponsible behavior I have seen in a “professional”. I told him that most of my artisans that are not educated are more reliable and protect their reputation better.
Osaz is not a man of his words, as a feedback, I will never engage Engr Osaz again and if I know anyone that is interested in engaging him, I will advise the party accordingly.

Are you based in Nigeria or overseas?

Sorry for your plight.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 3:50pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:

Is this person, Engr Osaz – real name Osazuwa Enobakhare a Nairalander?. If so, what is the Nairaland Id?.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 3:57pm On Feb 27, 2017
I actually bought that, i think i still have 3 of it self. If my memory serves me right, we had issues with this ball valves I cant remember the exact details as its been 4/5 months ago now, something along the lines of the pressure from the pump being so much that its overriding the ball valve and not shutting it (dont also forget that if its not electric, even if the ball valve closes the inlet, something needs to stop the pump electronically), when we went to Orile to buy the ball valve, i spoke to the guy and said i wanted original one, plumber already said made in italy/england is the best one to buy, either 1 inch or half inch, cant remember. Plumber also said that if the pump is on, and the valves are shut, the pipes buried in the ground could burst due to reverse pressure or something like that, and everywhere will flood.

Another configuration I had them do at one stage is to put manual ball valve at the bottom 2 tanks and floating switch at top one, then we found that the bottom would not get full and the pump is already off, because they supply different flats in the building and rate of use is different.

diordaves:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:07pm On Feb 27, 2017
Sorry to hear about your plight. Engineer Osaz is one that i follow his layman construction articles on Castles, and one that I have posted some of his construction related articles on NL for all to read, i am truly shocked by this news. Before jumping to conclusion, i think it would be good to hear the other side of the story from Osaz, but judging by what you have written, this does not look good on Osaz. His ID is jeftalene.

I will try and write an article on some of the tips of building in Nigeria, I completed over 50% of my carcass myself and did my finishing myself as well, albeit with the help of SOME GOOD people on NL, and just some knowledge of building that I have acquired over the years.

Just one thing, please always make sure you have some kind of written agreement. This is what helped slightly with my quack NL builder, during the troubles. I always also have everything in writing, hence why I use things like whatapp/ email / BBM etc.

olawale100:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tevanso(m): 4:08pm On Feb 27, 2017
back2sender:

Bros we have a constitution now that guides the association. The first set of people elected themselves and used our money to build thier houses and buy cars join. People like us that used to sit on the fence now said it will no longer be business as USUAL, thier was push backs but we stood our ground.
Yours throughly is the financial officer and i can tell you while the Landlords are happy about it, The cabals Landlords dey try instigate a revolt amongst thier loyalist.
To lead no easy, naa here i see am.
Part of the innovation i want to bring to the table is the power Point presentation approach during meetings, secondly instead of prayers we will sing the pledge or national anthems.
In terms of numbers over 500
i can help with PowerPoint projection with your LCD or plasma TV if you need my services call 08060506857
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 4:44pm On Feb 27, 2017
Another season film:Fraudsters on the prowl, Eng Osaze abi Jefthelene!!!!!.
Nairalanders Grab your copy NOW.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 4:46pm On Feb 27, 2017
I am based in Nigeria.

His own is not a case of fraud but it is a case of ;

1. Irresponsibility - Abandoning site and duty.

2. Misinformation - Not specifying the type of drilling (Hand drill) and mixing (hand mix as against concrete mixer) method

3. Unprofessional - Subcontracted the job without ensuring the project is seen through.

Like I mentioned, I had paid 78% of project cost, and the balance 22% was used to pay the drillers. The project cost me more eventually I had to pay for concrete mixer for 7 days and paid for casting of 12 pile points. My finger was burnt but not so much. If I did not know one or two things about buildings, I would have been dealt a bad blow.

I actually sent a mail to him that I will post on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:51pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:
I am based in Nigeria.
2. Misinformation - Not specifying the type of drilling (Hand drill) and mixing (hand mix as against concrete mixer) method
3. Unprofessional - Subcontracted the job without ensuring the project is seen through.
Like I mentioned, I had paid 78% of project cost, and the balance 22% was used to pay the drillers. The project cost me more eventually I had to pay for concrete mixer for 7 days and paid for casting of 12 pile points. My finger was burnt but not so much. If I did not know one or two things about buildings, I would have been dealt a bad blow.

Fraud has so many meaning and circumstances..... this is partly Fraud case too...
This is not a good professional man unless he come her to come and clear himself.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:52pm On Feb 27, 2017
With it not in writing or any evidence to show, its your word against his, however its not what I would expect from someone like Mr Osaz not by at least the way he portrays himself, and suggesting there are too many non-professionals in the trade. He could turn around and say that he told you what you were getting and you agreed. Your other site engineer, so he saw all these things happening and he was not driving things and informing you before cash changes hands, is he just playing passenger rather than driving the inspection/oversight ?

Let me quote something that I have posted last year again.

mavverick:
A friend of mine usually says that with construction in Nigeria, look at it like you are asking them to build a car, you have got to tell them that the car needs 4 tyres, windows, a steering, engine, controls, electrics etc. you may laugh, but take this advice and keep it in your tight fist.

olawale100:
I am based in Nigeria.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:05pm On Feb 27, 2017
diordaves:

I'm rarely offended. It's ok.

All that may be needed is to get a two-way splitter or connector. Pipe one inlet to the upper tank and pipe the other to the lower tank. Whichever tank that got full first will stop receiving further water and when the other is full, it stops as well. Shikena.

See pix
Why did you get offended, like I said we are here to learn. We should be challenging our artesian, for critical thinking. You have to understand these tanks are not going to be empty at the same time, it easy to pumped water to each one of them at the same time, it's even easier with split check valve. Let me give you example of what I think will help him. A little brain card can be installed in the same pump box, just like the electric mother card that control your house AC or heting system. This card can let you zone your heat or AC to where you may need them. It's didn't make any economic since to let AC in and empty room downstairs running, when the AC only needed in 2 rooms upstairs. That panel you saw was just an example, if you think that is complicated while is not in my opinion because, the boy that make it is in middle school not even high school. Sorry for offending you, we still going to need your ideas to improve most of our artesian knowledge. I just don't like doing things the same way every time, that why I always trying to encourage creative minds.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 5:13pm On Feb 27, 2017
Oga Kopell

You know my flats are for the masses, this board will be like 1 year rent o grin. I thought something like a small simple device. I dont even have where to put this kind of board. Thanks for the tip sha.

kopell:
Thre are many way of doing this, I will explain when am less busy. It's can be made or find one that can work for the purpose you need for. Some thing like this, this one is made by students that came to my office for internship or industrial attachment as the call it there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 5:19pm On Feb 27, 2017
Oh Lord! not again.

olawale100:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:06pm On Feb 27, 2017
mavverick:
Oga Kopell

You know my flats are for the masses, this board will be like 1 year rent o grin. I thought something like a small simple device. I dont even have where to put this kind of board. Thanks for the tip sha.

My Oga this thing are not that expensive, the important thing is to get the right guy to do it. Some of them are between $100- 200. This are the electronic ones, they are may others that can do the same thing. When I get home later I'll explain.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 6:15pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:
I am based in Nigeria.

Sir, what happened is so unfortunate!

I think what causes all this is lack of contract terms...the two of you didn't define how the project will flow. You actually overlooked this thinking its a small project.

I think you should have used the contract terms to open up a good communication on the project flow.

Now in his own mind, he has calculated using hand drilling, i dont know if that reflected in the quote he submitted. You changing his tactics to motorize drilling could have destabilized him.

But he, on his part should have informed you of the changes that could occur as a result of this and possibly ask for a contract variation instead of the hide and seek game, or just backed out. but money is not easy to refund back, he would have spent a lot on logistics.

What i see is actually misunderstanding, lack of communication and clear terms.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:21pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:
I am based in Nigeria.

Very sad and unfortunate sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by JVExpat: 7:39pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:

I just spoke with Osaz over the phone immediately I saw this because for me, i was shocked and my principle is to hear two sides of a story. Having personally contracted some jobs to him which in all sincerity he delivered perfectly, including a multi-storey building project we are currently developing in the same axis. He has so far lived up to expectation.

Btw, I am a real estate developer, practicing for over 15 years now and based on my industry knowledge and versatility, I did a thorough background check on Engr Osaz and got good recommendation from all quarters, including the relevant professional bodies. Infact this is the first time I'm reading otherwise about him.

Based on his explanation over the phone and your post here, this issue is purely that of misunderstanding and could easily have being resolved on a round table.
You contracted him to construct pile foundations but didnt specify that he must use a machine. He decided to use manual method which is not necessarily a bad option but i feel it may be slower. Personally I have seen manual method being used for boring piles of that width up to 15m depth but you or your supervising engineer refused, then he asked for an upward cost review if you insist on the use of machines, you also declined, he then in good faith and to build client relationship had to mobilized a machine to site which was not his, since his own was faulty at the time and according to him, he informed you about everything. He still retained his workmen on site to monitor the activities of the new machine operator, after giving them specific instructions which they adhered to.

According to him, He made quasi-dry mix concrete with adequate concrete mix ratio, which your supervising engineer refused for whatever reason. His men worked the reinforcement well and mix the concrete properly to instruction. He was on the site everyday since the machine was mobilized but didnt always stay on site all day. Again, I don't think that's much of a problem since i don't expect that a contractor should be micro-managed inasmuch as he already have site representatives there.

Next, you said the machine operator downed tool after 26 points. He refuted that, saying the action was certainly stage-managed by the machine owner having released enough money to them to drill up to 35 points (which is about 78% of the job) but they stopped at 29 points . According to him, this could have being done in collusion with your supervising engineer who constantly asked for 'settlement' which he didn't give to him at the time. The idea may have been to hijack the project from him so they can sit on it. He sent me enough evidence on whatsapp to prove that anyway. The machine operator didn't stop while he was on site for about 4 hours that morning until he left the site to attend to issues elsewhere. That's enough reason to suspect a foul play!

Rather than allow him take up issue with the machine owner he himself brought and compel them to work, he said you simply transferred money to the machine owner in the midst of the crisis without his consent and asked that he stay off the site as you are now prepared to complete the project using his balance payment left with you. That was a very wrong action by basic contract law. He then said he called you and asked that if by any means in your quest to control the site yourself you happen to have spent above the balance of the contract sum left with you, he was willing to do a refund. But you told him not to worry about anything that you do not need any refund from him.

Although, he has shown enough maturity by promising not to join issues with you. That for me is enough respect for you sir. Some persons may rather take legal actions even based on this post. Resorting to blackmail the personality of this young gentle man is really unfair to him. For me, I still have no problems or issues with him so far on any of my sites, until he does otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:41pm On Feb 27, 2017
olawale100:

Man I hate to read stories like this about get paid for job, now to pay the poor guys doing the job almost nothing. Another issue is between people involved everyone just want to cut his pie out of the owner, even if is one blood brothers or family members. Naija which way forward, enough of this nonsense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2017
spyder880:
Talking about water tanks and where or how to hoist them, lets consider these pictures. This is not a condemnation of any type but a pictorial review of all the tank methods and suggestion of better ways of doing things.

This first one is the practice of mounting tanks on the house, which can cause serious problems when a leakage occurs.
this one is too attached to the house. My dad's house is semi-attached. It is concrete and attached to the house but only in the stairs area. Even at that, no leak, no rust, no damage to the wall stove the house was officially opened in 1989 and still standing tall with same thank since 80s. Even if there is leak out damage to the tanks, nothing will be affected except stairs area
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 8:52pm On Feb 27, 2017
spyder880:
This has made a lot of people to lean towards an elevated tank tower not mounted on top of the house, this one is built to stand alone..... so if there is any leakage or overflow, it will not leak onto the house.
This is good but I'm only worried about WINDS
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hoyo: 9:20pm On Feb 27, 2017
@MR jvexpat, am sure engr osaz is not banned on NL and should have come here to defend himself not by proxy; both of them met here on NL and can be sorted here, all you type there is bullcrap. I hate when contractors start making silly excuses...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 27, 2017
hoyo:
@MR jvexpat, am sure engr osaz is not banned on NL and should have come here to defend himself not by proxy; both of them met here on NL and can be sorted here, all you type there is bullcrap. I hate when contractors start making silly excuses...

His excellency has decided not to join issues with the paying client.

The aloofness of certain quarters of artisans in Nigeria irks me angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:06pm On Feb 27, 2017
JVExpat:

I just spoke with Osaz over the phone immediately I saw this because for me, i was shocked and my principle is to hear two sides of a story. Having personally contracted some jobs to him which in all sincerity he delivered perfectly, including a multi-storey building project we are currently developing in the same axis. He has so far lived up to expectation.

Btw, I am a real estate developer, practicing for over 15 years now and based on my industry knowledge and versatility, I did a thorough background check on Engr Osaz and got good recommendation from all quarters, including the relevant professional bodies. Infact this is the first time I'm reading otherwise about him.

Based on his explanation over the phone and your post here, this issue is purely that of misunderstanding and could easily have being resolved on a round table.
You contracted him to construct pile foundations but didnt specify that he must use a machine. He decided to use manual method which is not necessarily a bad option but i feel it may be slower. Personally I have seen manual method being used for boring piles of that width up to 15m depth but you or your supervising engineer refused, then he asked for an upward cost review if you insist on the use of machines, you also declined, he then in good faith and to build client relationship had to mobilized a machine to site which was not his, since his own was faulty at the time and according to him, he informed you about everything. He still retained his workmen on site to monitor the activities of the new machine operator, after giving them specific instructions which they adhered to.

According to him, He made quasi-dry mix concrete with adequate concrete mix ratio, which your supervising engineer refused for whatever reason. His men worked the reinforcement well and mix the concrete properly to instruction. He was on the site everyday since the machine was mobilized but didnt always stay on site all day. Again, I don't think that's much of a problem since i don't expect that a contractor should be micro-managed inasmuch as he already have site representatives there.

Next, you said the machine operator downed tool after 26 points. He refuted that, saying the action was certainly stage-managed by the machine owner having released enough money to them to drill up to 35 points (which is about 78% of the job) but they stopped at 29 points . According to him, this could have being done in collusion with your supervising engineer who constantly asked for 'settlement' which he didn't give to him at the time. The idea may have been to hijack the project from him so they can sit on it. He sent me enough evidence on whatsapp to prove that anyway. The machine operator didn't stop while he was on site for about 4 hours that morning until he left the site to attend to issues elsewhere. That's enough reason to suspect a foul play!

Rather than allow him take up issue with the machine owner he himself brought and compel them to work, he said you simply transferred money to the machine owner in the midst of the crisis without his consent and asked that he stay off the site as you are now prepared to complete the project using his balance payment left with you. That was a very wrong action by basic contract law. He then said he called you and asked that if by any means in your quest to control the site yourself you happen to have spent above the balance of the contract sum left with you, he was willing to do a refund. But you told him not to worry about anything that you do not need any refund from him.

Although, he has shown enough maturity by promising not to join issues with you. That for me is enough respect for you sir. Some persons may rather take legal actions even based on this post. Resorting to blackmail the personality of this young gentle man is really unfair to him. For me, I still have no problems or issues with him so far on any of my sites, until he does otherwise.
No Disrespect, Im sure the Engr in question is not on any kind of Ban on NL, IM with my Ipad waiting for him to come say waht realy went wrong,The property section of NL must retain its past glory,where there is trust and mutual respect cos the way I see it, Money do not grow on trees.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) (629) (630) ... (3656) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: obynocute(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 215
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.