Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,421 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:09 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (671) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4297156 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (3644) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 10:23pm On Apr 20, 2017
ok thnks gents, funds is available for the first stage -- foundation.
its a semi large build, 3 apartments. land size is 50x100ft
was thinking someone might have done a mathematical calculation/comparison of moulding vs buying blocks, so the cost savings could be clearer.
or if someone can point me in the right direction, i dont mind creating an excel sheet. need info like trips of sand/cement/water cost etc to come up with the excel sheet
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 20, 2017
earthrealm:
was thinking someone might have done a mathematical calculation/comparison of moulding vs buying blocks, so the cost savings could be clearer.
or if someone can point me in the right direction, i dont mind creating an excel sheet. need info like trips of sand/cement/water cost etc to come up with the excel sheet

I haven't seen that on here yet BUT so far everyone reports savings when they hand/self mould (Erico2k2 is the boss on that), BUT I didn't because I wasn't going to be there to manage the ratio - this is critical.

Vibrated block is actually very strong if mixture is done right.

The critical aspect is quality control.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 12:11am On Apr 21, 2017
earthrealm:

Current ongoing example, also in PH
For a 3,000 block (9 inch) mould batch:
Cement 100 bags = N270k
Sand: 5 trips = N120k
Labor = N80k
There is an existing borehole on the site for water needs.

So, total of N470k to mould about 3,000 blocks = about N157/block (9 inch). How does that compare to purchase?

Hope that helps. Note I don't check this thread often.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 5:14am On Apr 21, 2017
earthrealm:

ur question may be beta answered here, though i think it doesnt matter.

https://www.nairaland.com/3436650/give-birth-usa-cost-procedures/207
Thanks so much for this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:21am On Apr 21, 2017
earthrealm:
. As a general guide for 9" blocks: cement (#2700); sharp sand(#25-#28k);a trip of sand should give you about 20-24bags of cement to batch out 25-27 blocks/bag of cement(all depends on the quality of aggregate material); the moulder charges btw #700-#800 per bag/hiring of moulding box; source of water for usage(get your own borehole); stacking of blocks(#10-#15/block)

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 10:52am On Apr 21, 2017
bixton:
. As a general guide for 9" blocks: cement (#2700); sharp sand(#25-#28k);a trip of sand should give you about 20-24bags of cement to batch out 25-27 blocks/bag of cement(all depends on the quality of aggregate material); the moulder charges btw #700-#800 per bag/hiring of moulding box; source of water for usage(get your own borehole); stacking of blocks(#10-#15/block)

I think that moulding blocks is not worth the hassle considering the logistical nightmares involved. Sometimes people fail to add the miscellaneous expenses to the total cost. If money is not a big issue, just buy vibrated blocks and that will be one less problem to worry about.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 11:43am On Apr 21, 2017
Carpenter, bricklayer docked over theft of building materials - The Nation Nigeria https:///hizTrVzEqN

so liking this news. many artisans take clients for granted
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:22pm On Apr 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I haven't seen that on here yet BUT so far everyone reports savings when they hand/self mould (Erico2k2 is the boss on that), BUT I didn't because I wasn't going to be there to manage the ratio - this is critical.

Vibrated block is actually very strong if mixture is done right.

The critical aspect is quality control.
I hail U EgunMogaji grin grin
@earthrealm
First question have u sank your Bore hole yet?
U need nearest water source to make any sense .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:57pm On Apr 21, 2017
yak:
Carpenter, bricklayer docked over theft of building materials - The Nation Nigeria https:///hizTrVzEqN

so liking this news. many artisans take clients for granted

https://www.google.com/amp/thenationonlineng.net/carpenter-bricklayer-docked-theft-building-materials/amp/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 2:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
erico2k2:

@earthrealm

nope hvnt done the borehole yet.
intend doing so as soon as i have a clearer picture of what i intend to do..
sinking borehole would involve hiring gen, buying geepee tank, pulling the sumo and going home with it at the end of the days work etc, and i have split the ops into 3 stages [foundation-decking-roofing] to last me 3 years...am wondering if the borehole wud survive these frequent sump retrievals and period of no sumo at at all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:10pm On Apr 21, 2017
earthrealm:

nope hvnt done the borehole yet.
intend doing so as soon as i have a clearer picture of what i intend to do..
sinking borehole would involve hiring gen, buying geepee tank, pulling the sumo and going home with it at the end of the days work etc, and i have split the ops into 3 stages [foundation-decking-roofing] to last me 3 years...am wondering if the borehole wud survive these frequent sump retrievals and period of no sumo at at all
My house is in PH do the bore hole and yes it will survive pulling out.its the usual practice . Yes buy a GP tank I did and also U need a Gen . If you don't do any of the above 4get molding blocks . Main while you will be buying water . Something we r not used to in PH . U need water at every stage and the bore hole is yours and fixed .
What you need do is look for where to store suma and gen nearby .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 6:54pm On Apr 21, 2017
has any one tried digging the soakaway first and using it to store water?....does it make sense?..is there a way to put temp linning/water proofing to make it not to leak?.....just thinking of the hassles of finding wia to store the geepee tank everynight after work.
sumo n gen cud b put inside car

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FirstS2B(f): 7:40pm On Apr 21, 2017
Let's install modern & beautiful window blinds for you either at home or workplace. You'll enjoy light, fresh air & privacy at the same time. Call or whatsapp 08025101177 now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marpol: 8:17pm On Apr 21, 2017
Pls who bought longspan aluminium roofing sheet recently? How much per square meter pls.

I heard N1800 per square meter.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 21, 2017
Contact 08138580513 for your home and office furniture and equipment. Including all your home interior design.contact today and you will be glad you partner with us at artdeco interior and furniture.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EfeEj(m): 8:47pm On Apr 21, 2017
InvertedHammer:

I think that moulding blocks is not worth the hassle considering the logistical nightmares involved. Sometimes people fail to add the miscellaneous expenses to the total cost. If money is not a big issue, just buy vibrated blocks and that will be one less problem to worry about.

I second the motion. Look for where you can get really good blocks around you. No when you mould and buy, the cost difference is not too much so just save yourself the stress.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 21, 2017
erico2k2:

@earthrealm

Na una dey control the area grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2017
EfeEj:

I second the motion. Look for where you can get really good blocks around you. No when you mould and buy, the cost difference is not too much so just save yourself the stress.
What stress, if you have a week to spare, would you call that waste? besides you can do good quality control since youhave the time.I did labour paid by bags.I did 6 inches solid for my build and Boy the blocks where solid.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2017
earthrealm:
has any one tried digging the soakaway first and using it to store water?....does it make sense?..is there a way to put temp linning/water proofing to make it not to leak?.....just thinking of the hassles of finding wia to store the geepee tank everynight after work.

I am not a fan of leaving a gaping hole on a job site, it just begs for a potential accident.

We pour extra water into the completed but unused soakaway for later use.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:00pm On Apr 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Na una dey control the area grin
No baba, based on logistics people wey get power pass me full the ground grin grin,power mike people dem grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:04pm On Apr 21, 2017
earthrealm:
Is the area not habitable yet? my GP tank was always left on site, do what I did, Paint anything on it with a shiny yellow paint and keep the lid in your car so that the top is always open, it discourages thieves cos tank no lid is hard to sell, plus write a phone number or name on the body, always fill it up before you go home for the day
thank me later wink wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 9:17pm On Apr 21, 2017
EfeEj:

If you request 3000 blocks, the first 1000 may be guaranteed. After that, the moulders start figuring out ways to "Nigerianize" the job. I will be surprised if the owner gets 3000 blocks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:30pm On Apr 21, 2017
InvertedHammer:

If you request 3000 blocks, the first 1000 may be guaranteed. After that, the moulders start figuring out ways to "Nigerianize" the job. I will be surprised if the owner gets 3000 blocks.
**** Nigerianize grin grin grin grin grin
in other news, nah there they will mold 50 blocks per bag wink wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 21, 2017
erico2k2:

No baba, based on logistics people wey get power pass me full the ground grin grin,power mike people dem grin

But still, Who I Be? wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 21, 2017
InvertedHammer:

In all ways, except for the pro builders who have an onsite project manager, blocks are best bought.

Builder should find other ways to save money. Maybe not do parapet or 4 coaches of blocks above lintel, etc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agoro2u: 10:34pm On Apr 21, 2017
Marpol:
Pls who bought longspan aluminium roofing sheet recently? How much per square meter pls.

I heard N1800 per square meter.

has anyone confirm this info?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 10:43pm On Apr 21, 2017
EfeEj:

U could have as well advised the d guy to buy a house so as to save himself d stress of building one. We all know building a house is more stressful than buying one? Quality is paramount in any construction project, not saving stress? The so called vibrated blocks are they really vibrated? How many blocks per bag do u think this block sellers produce? They are all after money, This is Nigeria.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:19pm On Apr 21, 2017
snakebeat:

U could have as well advised the d guy to buy a house so as to save himself d stress of building one. We all know building a house is more stressful than buying one? Quality is paramount in any construction project, not saving stress? The so called vibrated blocks are they really vibrated? How many blocks per bag do u think this block sellers produce? They are all after money, This is Nigeria.....

Yes, building is stressful, at least in the Nigerian context. So why not reduce the amount of stress?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 11:31pm On Apr 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yes, building is stressful, at least in the Nigerian context. So why not reduce the amount of stress?
Why reduce the amount of stress when u can buy an already made one without encountering any stress?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 11:42pm On Apr 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

In all ways, except for the pro builders who have an onsite project manager, blocks are best bought.

Builder should find other ways to save money. Maybe not do parapet or 4 coaches of blocks above lintel, etc
/
35 blocks/bag x 200 bags = 7000 blocks.

Under specific instructions, they mould 40 blocks per bag. That is 175 bags to get 7000 blocks.

Multiply N2700 by 25 missing bags = N67,000.

Your project manager will have a picture on facebook soon with babes and a table full of drinks and goathead peppersoup with the caption "Life is good".
\

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:18am On Apr 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
35 blocks/bag x 200 bags = 7000 blocks.

Under specific instructions, they mould 40 blocks per bag. That is 175 bags to get 7000 blocks.

Multiply N2700 by 25 missing bags = N67,000.

Your project manager will have a picture on facebook soon with babes and a table full of drinks and goathead peppersoup with the caption "Life is good".
\

Make u let them eat small now grin

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A carpenter, James Ayowande, and a bricklayer, Idowu Ishola, who allegedly stole building materials valued at N1.7million were on Friday brought to a Tinubu Magistrates’ Court in Lagos.

Ayowande, 59, and Idowu, 31, are facing a two-count charge of conspiracy and theft.

The duo, however, denied the charges.

The prosecutor, ASP Richard Odigie, told the court that the accused had between November 2015 and Feb.3, 2017 at Lagasa in lbeju Lekki area of Lagos State conspired to steal.

He said that the duo stole 262 bags of cement; 2,200 decking woods, roofing planks and iron rods.

Odigie added that the accused also stole two bags of nails and 2,000 cement blocks, all valued at N1.7 million belonging to Mr Clement Kagwachie, their employer.

Odigie said that the offences contravened Sections 285 and 409 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (as amended).

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Section 285(1) states that, “Any person who steals any property is guilty of a felony, and liable, if no other punishment is provided, to imprisonment for there (3) years.’’

The magistrate, Mrs F. O. Ikeobayo, granted the two accused N500, 000 bail with two sureties each.

The magistrate adjourned the case until April 28 for mention.

http://thenationonlineng.net/carpenter-bricklayer-docked-theft-building-materials/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (668) (669) (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) ... (3644) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.