Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,721 members, 7,805,966 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (673) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4361047 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) ... (3660) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 9:14pm On Apr 23, 2017
earthrealm:
ok thnks gents, funds is available for the first stage -- foundation.
its a semi large build, 3 apartments. land size is 50x100ft
was thinking someone might have done a mathematical calculation/comparison of moulding vs buying blocks, so the cost savings could be clearer.
or if someone can point me in the right direction, i dont mind creating an excel sheet. need info like trips of sand/cement/water cost etc to come up with the excel sheet
Please my brother Jeje buy your blocks hope someday I will be able to write on the difference before reverberated and hand moulded blocks. All the best
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 9:17pm On Apr 23, 2017
earthrealm:
has any one tried digging the soakaway first and using it to store water?....does it make sense?..is there a way to put temp linning/water proofing to make it not to leak?.....just thinking of the hassles of finding wia to store the geepee tank everynight after work.
sumo n gen cud b put inside car
Very good idea
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 9:20pm On Apr 23, 2017
twinskenny:

the rubber insulation
Nope it's the thickness of copper. U need to peel it abit and and bend to compare to the fake to the difference is clear
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:23pm On Apr 23, 2017
akinolaolujide:

Nope it's the thickness of copper. U need to peel it abit and and bend to compare to the fake to the difference is clear

Get an original and the fake coleman... check the insulation thickness.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 9:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
mavverick:
Nawa o

Surely these manufacturers can do something about this, every cable can have a batch number, put this in a database batch number/manufacture date. If you want to buy a cable, just go onto the website enter the batch number and the details come up, if nothing comes up, then you know its fake.

I mean buyers should be careful with fake, but talk of manufacturers helping their customers ensure they buy the real thing, this is one sure way.

I did a little stint at Alaba International back in the days. My family has been in the business of importing electrical components and accessories even before I was born.

There is a place known as Alaba Rago around Alaba International market axis. The place is dedicated to shorting the length of cables. They cut, rewind and repackage then sell to unsuspecting buyers as full length. Sometimes they add pieces together to form a whole. Conniving electricians usually pick out those ones and come back later for their kickbacks. Personally, I will never take an electrician to buy electrical parts.

1. Lift the cable, it may appear somewhat lighter.
2. If you are buying large quantities, pick the suspected one, open and measure it yourself. If the sellers measure it, they are slick with the fingers. Be careful. If short, walk away.

You can never win. But you can minimize your loss.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abunafiu(m): 10:42pm On Apr 23, 2017
I want to specially appreciate Allcopacetic for his support.
Yes I used to believe I have experience in buying wires but mehn my GP drop when I was faced with reality.
This shop is called JEZICO along Taiwo Road, Ilorin.
I went in with full confidence and demanded for Coleman wires. I was convinced I was holding the original wire since Coleman was engraved on the insulation. At first I thought there was no need to inform Allcopacetic since all he said was found on the cable. I sent him pictures and then called him. When I then told him the price (9.5k Pre coil of 2.5mm), he told me he was sure I was buying the fake, I even managed to convince him that it was engraved black bra bla he said its fake. I began to sweat because it was a stressful day already. I then begged him to speak with the seller so I called back. They were both speaking igbo on phone but I am sure the guy was arguing with him and suddenly he later agreed to bring another type for 13.5k per coil. I now had the opportunity to compare both. The fake has thin copper and fat insulator while the original has thick copper and thin insulation.
That night I came back home past 10pm so I end t round my house wiring, I discovered I was sold mixtures of both original and fake.
Anyway thanks so much for the eye opener.

So I want everyone here to always buy from trusted suppliers. Don't act pennywise pound foolish.

Allcopacetic has his name in gold in this.

I also want to commend him for the accuracy in his supplies.
I was privileged to to audit the electrical materials and fitting he spilled. All was intact. The owner then said "I told you he is a man of his words ". He never wanted to audit but I insisted.
With many of you in Nigeria, Nigeria is blessed.
Pls keep it up sir.

I hope to buy my electrical fittings too soon.
I hope you now stock 3w, 5w LED bulbs for those of us who use solar.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abunafiu(m): 10:46pm On Apr 23, 2017
Again Los Allcopacetic, as an installer of solar energy systems, I use a lot of flex cables 6mm to 50mm. Do you also stock them.
Note we usually buy on demand so we buy mostly in few meters to use per project.
I don't think I can trust my Ilori cable sellers any longer.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:31pm On Apr 23, 2017
abunafiu:
Again Los Allcopacetic, as an installer of solar energy systems, I use a lot of flex cables 6mm to 50mm. Do you also stock them.
Note we usually buy on demand so we buy mostly in few meters to use per project.
I don't think I can trust my Ilori cable sellers any longer.

I need to talk to you about giving me what I want in solar system. I have discussed with few people but not yet convinced. I need an European made solar back-up for my house. I don't think I need more than 5kva. I only want to be a able to power all external and internal lights, 2 TVs, 1 microwave, 1 AC at a time and electric fence. Ability to be able to power on all external and internal lights 24 hours per day is non negotiable for me. My contractor and his electrician already did the wiring and created a place for solar back-up.

When can we start the discussion?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:45pm On Apr 23, 2017
abunafiu:
I want to specially appreciate Allcopacetic for his support.
Yes I used to believe I have experience in buying wires but mehn my GP drop when I was faced with reality.
This shop is called JEZICO along Taiwo Road, Ilorin.
I went in with full confidence and demanded for Coleman wires. I was convinced I was holding the original wire since Coleman was engraved on the insulation. At first I thought there was no need to inform Allcopacetic since all he said was found on the cable. I sent him pictures and then called him. When I then told him the price (9.5k Pre coil of 2.5mm), he told me he was sure I was buying the fake, I even managed to convince him that it was engraved black bra bla he said its fake. I began to sweat because it was a stressful day already. I then begged him to speak with the seller so I called back. They were both speaking igbo on phone but I am sure the guy was arguing with him and suddenly he later agreed to bring another type for 13.5k per coil. I now had the opportunity to compare both. The fake has thin copper and fat insulator while the original has thick copper and thin insulation.
That night I came back home past 10pm so I end t round my house wiring, I discovered I was sold mixtures of both original and fake.
Anyway thanks so much for the eye opener.

So I want everyone here to always buy from trusted suppliers. Don't act pennywise pound foolish.

Allcopacetic has his name in gold in this.

I also want to commend him for the accuracy in his supplies.
I was privileged to to audit the electrical materials and fitting he spilled. All was intact. The owner then said "I told you he is a man of his words ". He never wanted to audit but I insisted.
With many of you in Nigeria, Nigeria is blessed.
Pls keep it up sir.

I hope to buy my electrical fittings too soon.
I hope you now stock 3w, 5w LED bulbs for those of us who use solar.

Allcopacetic is very honest, I bought some electrical materials from him even without meeting him in person, and he sent them to me, good quality, complete quantity. I hope to buy from him again soon.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by igwedehxy: 11:53pm On Apr 23, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Are you going to be onsite during the process?
oh yes I will

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by igwedehxy: 11:56pm On Apr 23, 2017
akinolaolujide:

What is the specified thickness of the slab if it's 150mm then it's not too. Much depending on the area but for you to be sure u need to be there. Another problem with being present is the engineer might increase the mix ratio to something higher and you might end up buying more cement. Ask him all these questions before hand to ensure that when you are there they won't change anything all the best bro.

that's true of this engineers they can increase the mix ratio so as to make you spend more
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:31am On Apr 24, 2017
igwedehxy:

that's true of this engineers they can increase the mix ratio so as to make you spend more
But if mix ratio is increased it still ur build being solid,The best practice I have seen is contract that bit out.after an agreed mix ratio
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 24, 2017
igwedehxy:

oh yes I will

Good, then you can monitor purchase and usage.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:50am On Apr 24, 2017
igwedehxy:

What's the benefit to the "engineer" in this instance?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:40am On Apr 24, 2017
@Abunafiu
I have never had the opportunity to thank you for all your wahalas on this our Ilorin project. Thank you.
You have been a God-sent on this project and God will keep on blessing you.
The borehole problems, the water stand problems, and now the fake wire case were both stressful... but we came thru in flying color.

@Allcopacetic
I have never stopped praising you. When I say good thing about supplier/contractors; I surely have my reason.
I and my friends referred to you have bought many electrical products and no-one has ever come back to complain.

As a kobo-kobo man, I have many ongoing projects all around... Please choose your products and suppliers carefully and wisely.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 3:15am On Apr 24, 2017
Hajji you've said it all. These two gentlemen are amazing humans to do business with. Your koko -koko thing springing up all over, I fear you Ooo my oga @ the top
mufutau55:
@Abunafiu
I have never had the opportunity to thank you for all your wahalas on this our Ilorin project. Thank you.
You have been a God-sent on this project and God will keep on blessing you.
The borehole problems, the water stand problems, and now the fake wire case were both stressful... but we came thru in flying color.

@Allcopacetic
I have never stopped praising you. When I say good thing about supplier/contractors; I surely have my reason.
I and my friends referred to you have bought many electrical products and no-one has ever come back to complain.

As a kobo-kobo man, I have many ongoing projects all around... Please choose your products and suppliers carefully.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:18am On Apr 24, 2017
kopell:

Hajji you've said it all. These two gentlemen are amazing humans to do business with. Your koko -koko thing springing up all over, I fear you Ooo my oga@the top

Abi o. Thank you for getting involved and helping too. Nah small-small o.
I just want to be like EgunMogaji o... building houses from California to China.... smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:16am On Apr 24, 2017
igwedehxy:
hello everyone, what's your take on doing German floor on 3bedrooms of two flats and the builder is requesting for 60bags of cement. from ur previous building experience, do you think it's too much
. Mixing ratio usage differs but 60bags is ok. I do not know your terms of agreement as to the procurement of materials and flooring process. But if you're to provide the materials for the work, i'd say you keep handy the labour/mason money required to use the entire 60bags for the job and be sure to be on site to supervise the job. That way even if you have to buy more bags for the cement you're not obliged to pay for the labour. More or less like a contract agreement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:38am On Apr 24, 2017
earthrealm:
ok thnks gents, funds is available for the first stage -- foundation.
its a semi large build, 3 apartments. land size is 50x100ft
was thinking someone might have done a mathematical calculation/comparison of moulding vs buying blocks, so the cost savings could be clearer.
or if someone can point me in the right direction, i dont mind creating an excel sheet. need info like trips of sand/cement/water cost etc to come up with the excel sheet
. The ultimate choice to buy already made blocks or mould is up to you to make. The entire structure on this land was built with hand moulded 9" and 6" blocks under my watch. This structure is in PHC and the client is living in it. This structure comes with a pent house. There's a one decking gate man house in front and behind you have a one decking 3 self contain apartments while underneath is for gymn and car park for 2-3 cars. The client's nephew was the one who was around during the process of the moulding and he earned his pay as well. I guess you have trusted persons within your circle/family that are not too busy to do that for you and earn the daily pay.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 9:14am On Apr 24, 2017
if you're planning to build on a swampy land use can also see >> https://www.nairaland.com/3735984/comfortable-hosuing-building-swampy-waterlogged for advice and what you shd watch out for.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 10:32am On Apr 24, 2017
thank u sir i appreciate alot
spyder880:

Thank you, good block making practices when you are molding on site should include;

1. Clearing the area you want to pack blocks of too much debris, grass and other particles which can cause the blocks to be unbalanced and therefore crack even when they are yet to dry.

2. Buying and using good quality sand, stone dust or the mixture that will ensure you get a strong block, the cement chosen plays a good part too, not all cements are good for block making. Watch your mix ratio if you are mixing stone dust with sharp sand.

3. You must mix, mix, mix and mix again before molding. The more you mix the sand and or stone dust and cement to water, it makes the bonding better, which gives you stronger blocks.

4. The removal of the mold is usually where the mistake is made and blocks crack, molders should be gentle, very slow to remove the mold, if not the blocks will have cracks.

5. Blocks should be protected from rain, flooding and animals or even humans who may trample on them. Keep a nylon sheet handy in case it rains, also divert flood water away from blocks when they have not dried.

6. Water your blocks twice daily after they have become strong, keep watering the blocks till another 4 days.

7. Be careful with repacking the blocks, you may lose blocks if you don't stack them to be well balanced.

Happy weekend to you all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On Apr 24, 2017
I don buy wistle . I hear that U gt more on return on investment ROI . I smell kobo kobo grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:34am On Apr 24, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Nothing. Just to prove a point. The engineer had said it will take for example 5 bags of cement, thinking you won't be on site, but now you are on ground to monitor usege, he will use the 5 bags in the mix ratio even when it's not necessary; self fulfilling prophecy.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:52am On Apr 24, 2017
when will building materials prices ever come down abeg ogas in the house dem never sell old stocks finish? mk dem allow us follow our kobo kobo oga build nah grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:03pm On Apr 24, 2017
bereiweris:
when will building materials prices ever come down abeg ogas in the house dem never sell old stocks finish? mk dem allow us follow our kobo kobo oga build nah grin grin grin grin grin
U 2 don follow kobo kobo abi ok well Hajji own loot I suspect nah mami water help am hide am your own go easy to find . Make I clean.wistle . angry grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 1:33pm On Apr 24, 2017
Can someone please help with contacts of where I can get this ceiling boards in Port Harcourt or anywhere in the east. Someone gave me a company's contact around Benin but they don't have it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 1:59pm On Apr 24, 2017
FastShipping:

I need to talk to you about giving me what I want in solar system. I have discussed with few people but not yet convinced. I need an European made solar back-up for my house. I don't think I need more than 5kva. I only want to be a able to power all external and internal lights, 2 TVs, 1 microwave, 1 AC at a time and electric fence. Ability to be able to power on all external and internal lights 24 hours per day is non negotiable for me. My contractor and his electrician already did the wiring and created a place for solar back-up.

When can we start the discussion?
@ Fastshipping check this link. This is where i am buying mine
https://greenakku.de/index.php?filter=0&cPath=28_2&INV=32&BVT=29
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 2:10pm On Apr 24, 2017
Abeg oh anyway shaaaa like oga like boy d same mami water go help grin grin grin
erico2k2:

U 2 don follow kobo kobo abi ok well Hajji own loot I suspect nah mami water help am hide am your own go easy to find . Make I clean.wistle . angry grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:23pm On Apr 24, 2017
Truthinlife:
Can someone please help with contacts of where I can get this ceiling boards in Port Harcourt or anywhere in the east. Someone gave me a company's contact around Benin but they don't have it.

Ask Oga @Spyder880. I am sure he will know.
I don alert him above to this post too.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:24pm On Apr 24, 2017
erico2k2:

Oga mi nah save and spend o. We just dey gather the kobo-kobo ni o. No loot in my soak-away or anywhere o. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 3:55pm On Apr 24, 2017
EgunMogaji:

So that when next you give them such unsupervised even you in your subconscious knows what to expect plus to prove dry ain't trying to cheat you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (670) (671) (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) ... (3660) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: NL1960 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.