Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,364 members, 7,808,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (691) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4365809 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 6:57pm On May 22, 2017
kopell:
I Just the read all these guys story, we need to be fear to both contractor, artisans, and the owner that is dishing out the money. I do understand it's take time and effort to put those quotations together, in my opinion some stipend should be paid to whom ever put those quotes in for the job, regardless of the outcome. That is been fear in my opinion. My second point is the most disturbing one to me. When one received 3 quotations, from 3 different people that as know connections with one another, if the differences is between 100k - 300k one can make decisions on which one of them provide good services with less headache, even with little higher price then his competitor. But in most case reality what we saw in margin of million between them. Guess what, many of us will do, just dump them all start calling those old workers that build our dad, uncle, brothers, anti, homes. At the end of the day we spend less for the job, from all those quotations that we received earlier.
Boss, Greetings sir, I appreciate considerate people that practice what they preach. Sir you are very right about the fact that you get mega difference from contractor for same design, the reason is not far fetched most contractor don't do detail calculations they will just look at the building design and use previous knowledge of a job similar edit the quote and add a crazy margin in order to be on the save sides in case the quote flies by chance. I won't blame the contractors as such because so many are weary of wasted efforts, Sir do you know some contractors that are not active on NL will come here pick builder's contact and call posing to be a client, send you drawings ask question and they will collect your quote, then they will go and present to their offline client. I have personally unmasked such character. May God Help us
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:01pm On May 22, 2017
Aventures:
Boss, Greetings sir, I appreciate considerate people that practice what they preach. Sir you are very right about the fact that you get mega difference from contractor for same design, the reason is not far fetched most contractor don't do detail calculations they will just look at the building design and use previous knowledge of a job similar edit the quote and add a crazy margin in order to be on the save sides in case the quote flies by chance. I won't blame the contractors as such because so many are weary of wasted efforts, Sir do you know some contractors that are not active on NL will come here pick builder's contact and call posing to be a client, send you drawings ask question and they will collect your quote, then they will go and present to their offline client. I have personally unmasked such character. May God Help us

So true, you said it the way it is.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:21pm On May 22, 2017
Aventures:
My God, are you serious? This is unbelievable so sad for people like you and very few other that trying to maintain your reputation know matter what it's takes. My question now is, how do we separate those nuisances that making life difficult for most of these young professional that are trying to make legitimate earning for service they rendered.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:31pm On May 22, 2017
Aventures:
Sir do you know some contractors that are not active on NL will come here pick builder's contact and call posing to be a client, send you drawings ask question and they will collect your quote, then they will go and present to their offline client. I have personally unmasked such character. May God Help us

That is a ridiculous and pathetic Contractor. It will be nice to unmask them.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:37pm On May 22, 2017
true2home:
As I watched the War on Quotation rages, I just want to tell the house that there are people in Nigeria that are still good. I have a supervisor that works for me. He never collects any fee from me for his work. He recommend that I give him whatever I feels he deserves. O BOy, I believe I have over paid him so many time simply because he has exceeded my expectation so many times. And guess what? I Am Very Happy with him. I have recommended him to family members and he still working for them with the same MOTTO. and he is getting paid nicely.

Therefore, Do a good job, and the client will gladly reward you beyond your expectation. Happy Clients do not look at price for a job WELL DONE
. Well that happens when you meet people who value such things. I have a client who does not like to pay neither his supervisor nor his engineer for such purposes but times and over times he has over shot the expectations of my masons on payments especially when they did not price with him on any particular job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 2:03am On May 23, 2017
Sprumbaba:
I am tired of recruiting people from Nairaland to work on my project.

My other contractor had to tell me to stop recruiting from the internet grin grin grin grin.

He said if they are good at what they do and very busy, they wont be looking for job on the internet.

80% of Nairaland contractors are shit even some of your saviors you seek opinions from here.

We always go back to fix their jobs and you end up spending more. When they are giving advice here, I always shake head. They even backbite one another.

Don't be fooled with pictures and essays. Behind those pictures are cracked walls and shoddy jobs you were not shown. It seems some of them are now reading the ART OF DEALS from Donald Trump. They will chop you dry if you give them the room.

Lol them don do you ?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:41am On May 23, 2017
Is there invention of central cooling system (central air condition) in nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:31am On May 23, 2017
Empiree:
Is there invention of central cooling system (central air condition) in Nigeria?
invention? This question is an insult to a country like Naija, all those big 10-20 or more story's buildings, government offices, including those mega malls, hotel complexes, movies theaters, etc. How did you think they get cooling? May be your question should be, where can you get one in Nigeria. My answer to that too is simple, everywhere.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by littlejoe8(m): 11:46am On May 23, 2017
Hello House,

Please can a 2 bedroom flat (i.e. 2 rooms en-suit , a living room kitchen and a store) enter a 50*50 feet plot of land with parking space for two cars?

I will appreciate your contributions a lot.

Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 12:06pm On May 23, 2017
littlejoe8:
Hello House,

Please can a 2 bedroom flat (i.e. 2 rooms en-suit , a living room kitchen and a store) enter a 50*50 feet plot of land with parking space for two cars?

Thank you.
I am positive it will.Why don't you ask one of the handful of nice architects here on NL property section to help you out with a design/sketch.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by littlejoe8(m): 12:10pm On May 23, 2017
Wagasigiungu:

I am positive it will.Why don't you ask one of the handful of nice architects here on NL property section to help you out with a design/sketch.

Thank you brother. Already started doing that.

Appreciate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 12:35pm On May 23, 2017
kopell:
invention? This question is an insult to a country like Naija, all those big 10-20 or more story's buildings, government offices, including those mega malls, hotel complexes, movies theaters, etc. How did you think they get cooling? May be your question should be, where can you get one in Nigeria. My answer to that too is simple, everywhere.
Right.....@bolded, can you reccomend a reputable company?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 2:16pm On May 23, 2017
twinskenny:

if you are in Nigeria go for hikvision or realtime...
i believe u want to be able to view via mobile and laptop. go for AHD/OR HD With cloud functions
please buy the one with house old name not the one that will be difficult to configure for remote view.

when it come to cabling. go with siamese cable (power & video) all in one make sure its pure corper.

lastly make sure you purchase central power its preferred above adaptors (this prevent your cameras against surge)

good luck

In addition to cable and brand, I am just wondering what is considered optimal in camera resolution, storage space etc.
I saw these online and I hope you could comment on them. Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1200TVL-ZOSI-Security-Outdoor-Recorder/dp/B01G6TSFNW/ref=pd_ybh_a_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9367AYKBE5ZFXWZD7THP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Safety-Security/ZOSI-Recording-900TVL-Outdoor-Weatherproof-Cameras-Surveillance/B016ZPF9KO/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4BFCRMECZ7M4BHG943E0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOSI-Security-TVI-DVR-Outdoor-Cameras/dp/B01HLTY094/ref=pd_ybh_a_9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AH1507DBN3Y09MWJK78Q
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:25pm On May 23, 2017

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:33pm On May 23, 2017
Empiree:
Right.....@bolded, can you reccomend a reputable company?
There are so many of them. I have not used anyone, because I don't have any business or commercial buildings that require one. Here are few,http://www.waepnigeria.com/hvac-systems
http://www.satekng.com/satek/aboutus
http://www.mecelassociates.com/clients.html
http://www.thermocool.com.ng/ac-buying-guides
My brother , I don't know how old are you. I can say one thing sha, the last link here is made in Nigeria product then. I know this very well, because my mom owned many of there product in 70s to 90s before they ruined the country, imagine if most of these things and many others are made in Nigeria then. You can see how much damage they did to our country. If said up to 93 Nigeria machine tools Oshogbo used to manufacture industrial machinery some people that may not know this will pick up arguments with me. Again go to FIEOR in Oshidi Lagos and see a lot of research that as been done since 70s on many products, minerals, and other technology in commercial quantity wasting in their lab. May God give us leaders with vision beyond stealing our common wealth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dollabiz: 2:37pm On May 23, 2017
Good
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:17pm On May 23, 2017
kopell:
There are so many of them. I have not used anyone, because I don't have any business or commercial buildings that require one. Here are few,http://www.waepnigeria.com/hvac-systems
http://www.satekng.com/satek/aboutus
http://www.mecelassociates.com/clients.html
http://www.thermocool.com.ng/ac-buying-guides
My brother , I don't know how old are you. I can say one thing sha, the last link here is made in Nigeria product then. I know this very well, because my mom owned many of there product in 70s to 90s before they ruined the country, imagine if most of these things and many others are made in Nigeria then. You can see how much damage they did to our country. If said up to 93 Nigeria machine tools Oshogbo used to manufacture industrial machinery some people that may not know this will pick up arguments with me.
Something really went wrong in that country for sure to the point that people run away from "Made In Nigeria" like anything they do is inferior. Well, that's govt's fault 90% of the time. Far as I am concerned, I dont care as long as the product is genuine

Also, i am intending to use it for private house not industry or company. Thats why i asked if people have used it besides companies.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nextstep(m): 5:18pm On May 23, 2017
littlejoe8:
Hello House,

Thank you.

If you have a bit more cash, try making it a two storey and halve the footprint: kitchen and sitting room downstairs, rooms upstairs. Ideally make it a square to minimize footprint and reduce perimeter, which will reduce materials for walls... what you save on roofing, you can add to decking and stairs.

For instance if you plan for a standard footprint of 12x18m (you will need roofing of at least 13*19 = 247sqm)
But if you put rooms upstairs, you can shrink your footprint to 10x10, roofing about 11x11 = 121sqm, which is about half, and would save you more than half in roofing cost. Use that to deck and add extra for the complications of building 1 storey (scaffold, stairs, higher tank)... This would allow more space in the compound and also has the side effect of cooler breeze (at night) in the rooms. Notice you have similar amount of floor space (12x18=216sqm vs. 10*10*2=200sqm).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onuokwu: 5:30pm On May 23, 2017
Who has an idea about how much it will cost to hire a mid size payloader for a day? I will need one shortly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 6:44am On May 24, 2017
twinskenny:

The second link is superb.. 1080p with 2 terybyte
But wish the tvl is up to 1000.. Nonetheless its okay
E seun bàbá mi. God bless.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:01pm On May 24, 2017
alstacs:

E seun bàbá mi. God bless.
You welcome Sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:05am On May 25, 2017
Sprumbaba:
I am tired of recruiting people from Nairaland to work on my project.

My other contractor had to tell me to stop recruiting from the internet grin grin grin grin.

He said if they are good at what they do and very busy, they wont be looking for job on the internet.

80% of Nairaland contractors are shit even some of your saviors you seek opinions from here.

We always go back to fix their jobs and you end up spending more. When they are giving advice here, I always shake head. They even backbite one another.

Don't be fooled with pictures and essays. Behind those pictures are cracked walls and shoddy jobs you were not shown. It seems some of them are now reading the ART OF DEALS from Donald Trump. They will chop you dry if you give them the room.

I felt the need to respond to you @Sprumbaba.

I believe you speak from experience so your opinion is highly respected.

The truth is, there is no difference between Internet contractors and non-internet contractors interms of who will get the Job done and who wouldn't. The advice from your contractor is just based on hate and nothing else. How will he say contractors on the internet wouldn't be looking for Job on the internet if they are good and busy as a result? For crying out loud, make them no look for additional Job so they can grow? If a Nairaland contractor messes you up, so will he do if he wasn't a Nairalander. and so will he do if he wasn't from the Internet. I have had many guys here on Nairaland come work for me and messed my Job up. I have also had guys here on Nairaland work for me and did a Fantastic Job. likewise non-internet guys. The thing about the internet is that its easier to get clients and you can reach a broader network of client. Thats why we are here. its left for you to do your findings properly before you give a Job to someone. Not because he is from the internet or not.

What you should do when hiring wether from the internet or not is be wary of to good a deal. Dont look for the best deal interms of price. Look for the best deal interms of the job you are looking to get done, before you start thinking of the price that works.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sprumbaba: 1:47pm On May 25, 2017
skimanski:

I felt the need to respond to you @Sprumbaba.

I believe you speak from experience so your opinion is highly respected.

The truth is, there is no difference between Internet contractors and non-internet contractors interms of who will get the Job done and who wouldn't. The advice from your contractor is just based on hate and nothing else. How will he say contractors on the internet wouldn't be looking for Job on the internet if they are good and busy as a result? For crying out loud, make them no look for additional Job so they can grow? If a Nairaland contractor messes you up, so will he do if he wasn't a Nairalander. and so will he do if he wasn't from the Internet. I have had many guys here on Nairaland come work for me and messed my Job up. I have also had guys here on Nairaland work for me and did a Fantastic Job. likewise non-internet guys. The thing about the internet is that its easier to get clients and you can reach a broader network of client. Thats why we are here. its left for you to do your findings properly before you give a Job to someone. Not because he is from the internet or not.

What you should do when hiring wether from the internet or not is be wary of to good a deal. Dont look for the best deal interms of price. Look for the best deal interms of the job you are looking to get done, before you start thinking of the price that works.

@Skimanski,

You are one of the contractors that I have used on this Nairaland that is very good (That means I don't like cheap stuff grin grin grin).

When something is too common, that is when generalization sets in. There are many graphic designers like Brabus turn Builders here.
I had spent millions fixing problems from Nairaland contractors than contractors that was introduced to me by acquittances.

When we give Nairaland contractors jobs, It is a gamble on a faceless forum. We are trusting you and many betrayed that trust. The probability of a contractor that was introduced by acquittances to dupe or do shoddy job is low because there must have been proven track records and relationships.

But here, I have had a rethink about giving job out through here. I do extreme due diligence now.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:28pm On May 25, 2017
Sprumbaba:

@Skimanski,

You are one of the contractors that I have used on this Nairaland that is very good (That means I don't like cheap stuff grin grin grin).

When something is too common, that is when generalization sets in. There are many graphic designers like Brabus turn Builders here.
I had spent millions fixing problems from Nairaland contractors than contractors that was introduced to me by acquittances.

When we give Nairaland contractors jobs, It is a gamble on a faceless forum. We are trusting you and many betrayed that trust. The probability of a contractor that was introduced by acquittances to dupe or do shoddy job is low because there must have been proven track records and relationships.

But here, I have had a rethink about giving job out through here. I do extreme due diligence now.

Haaaaaa!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked My Oga i don work for you. and I no know who you be !!!! shocked shocked shocked Ewo oooh!! Thank God say I respect my self ooo.

Anyway Lets leave it like that ooo. Always here to serve you and all the guys that have contacted me from Nairaland.

For that matter I don rest for this topic. I no fit dey follow my Oga dey argue.

na Parable for our side say, he who wants to have a prolonged argument with the king should be prepared to remain on his knees for the duration of the Argument.

Thanks sir for the Patronage!!! its our pleasure.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 7:34pm On May 25, 2017
Sprumbaba:

@Skimanski,

It is also true that "Internet Contractors" are tech-savy so they do a lot of PACKAGING, instead of allowing their work to speak for them, coupled with the fact that most of their Victims (Clients) are people who are based abroad or have little time to do due diligence and proper supervision of the Contractor!
All you hear is 'wire the money' and l would send you pictures of the work as it progresses.

In a country where most people are Greedy and selfish, without the fear of god and where there is no efficient 'punishment system' for erring contractors, it takes a lot of "blind faith" to send Millions of Naira to some unknown person on a faceless forum.

But l am happy that everyone is becoming wiser now, maybe that is one benefit of this recession undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RipVanWink: 10:23pm On May 25, 2017
hello gents,
am a newbie here. tried searching , no show

want to fence 100ft x 100ft land, dwarf fence, say about 5ft, am assuming 2coaches in the ground and 3 or 4 coaches on the surface.
would appreciate a rough estimate and breakdown of the cost, or even better someone who has fenced recently could gimme his total cost, i may be able to extrapolate.

2ndly, i intend to use 3 locks to form the spine of the fence, placed every 10ft apart, btw using block as spine and using iron rod and concrete, which is better or preffered?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sprumbaba: 1:14am On May 26, 2017
skimanski:

Haaaaaa!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked My Oga i don work for you. and I no know who you be !!!! shocked shocked shocked Ewo oooh!! Thank God say I respect my self ooo.

Anyway Lets leave it like that ooo. Always here to serve you and all the guys that have contacted me from Nairaland.

For that matter I don rest for this topic. I no fit dey follow my Oga dey argue.

na Parable for our side say, he who wants to have a prolonged argument with the king should be prepared to remain on his knees for the duration of the Argument.

Thanks sir for the Patronage!!! its our pleasure.

Skimanski, your own dey different now grin grin grin grin grin. In fact new design job is coming soon.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:57am On May 26, 2017
Sprumbaba:

Skimanski, your own dey different now grin grin grin grin grin. In fact new design job is coming soon.
I doubt if this guy is for real...u seem fake to me...I doubt if u can pay or even hire a contractor with the way u talk...

I beg u in the name of anything that is dear to u to stop posting rubbish if u have nothing reasonable to say. A lot of us have benefited from NL contractors, if u haven't pls don't generalize. These days architects & engineers hardly attend to questions because of statement like yours. Incompetence is not limited to NL contractors alone, it's everywhere. It is left for u to do your research before entrusting any project with any contractor, be it online or offline. Someone just posted some questions as regard fencing above me, that is how we learn on here. pls don't come here to spoil the minds of our contractors.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by wazobiaman: 8:35am On May 26, 2017
Buddy's , can u give me a rough estimate of list of materials including no of planks to use for roofing of,

L= 50ft

B= 30ft

I will really appreciate

The roof style is Hip Roof
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:00am On May 26, 2017
wazobiaman:
Buddy's , can u give me a rough estimate of list of materials including no of planks to use for roofing of,

L= 50ft

B= 30ft

I will really appreciate

The roof style is Hip Roof

With this vague description, you may not get a good estimate.

1. Is the house completely rectangular or are there projections or recesses?

2. What is the planned height of your king post?

3. What type of roofing sheet do you plan to use?

4. Does this house have a parapet?

These are some of the questions which you will need to answer to get a quote closer to what the real figures night be.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by leumas2009: 11:31am On May 26, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have dabbled in buildings (hostels and private apartments) myself in the past and i still need quality builders and other types of workmen from time to time. One thing i struggle with is how to get reputable people, people whose previous work can speak for them. Do you guys think if we had a platform where people can bid for projects, provide estimate, update their clients, show progress of work with pictures would help.

My background is in IT and i can easily build such a platform. I would gain by also having access to a pool of workers and also the app would be monetised in some way or form.

I know there are some popular people on nairaland, but information such as previous works can be difficult to track easily. Also feedback from clients would help so that we can all make an informed decision. I am committed to build this platform to completion if enough interests is shown.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 12:00pm On May 26, 2017
leumas2009:
Hi Guys,

I have dabbled in buildings (hostels and private apartments) myself in the past and i still need quality builders and other types of workmen from time to time. One thing i struggle with is how to get reputable people, people whose previous work can speak for them. Do you guys think if we had a platform where people can bid for projects, provide estimate, update their clients, show progress of work with pictures would help.

My background is in IT and i can easily build such a platform. I would gain by also having access to a pool of workers and also the app would be monetised in some way or form.

I know there are some popular people on nairaland, but information such as previous works can be difficult to track easily. Also feedback from clients would help so that we can all make an informed decision. I am committed to build this platform to completion if enough interests is shown.
We don't need all these to know how to select a good contractor. Just click on the moniker of any builder u find interesting & read through his works & comments, so u can get feedback from persons he has worked for....for me i think that will do...incompenent contractors can still penetrate the said platform u intend creating...

(1) (2) (3) ... (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.