Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (811) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4366221 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (808) (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ceelog(m): 8:00pm On Nov 11, 2017
diordaves:
PHOTO CRITIQUE

What do you think is right with this living room (parlour)? Take a look at the picture.

All I see is a very busy parlour: from the busy wall tile to the badly put together PVC ceiling. No character, no ambience. Looking at the picture what comes to mind is a poorly put together beer parlour instead of a cosy living-room. On a scale of 1 - 10, how satisfied are you with the design of the parlour where 1 is completely dis-satisfied and 10 is completely satisfied? I will rate it a 4. For me is that bad. Solid house, poor finish.

3. I wonder why tile the siting room at all? Maybe wallpaper, stones or simple screed and paint would have been better.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 10:27pm On Nov 11, 2017
mank1234:
You've been looking for this company? Where?
You registered on 23rd September and your only post is to recommend an entity.

If I were a client, I'll be suspecting that you're linked to the company. You can clear doubts by posting evidence of your previous dealings with the company.

Seconded! grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:32am On Nov 12, 2017
balqees004:

Wow, have Been looking for this man's page, Admat Engineering Limited.
Am pleased with this company's services. My husband met this man on nairaland and gave him project worth 10million naira and he executed it successfully, he even gave useful advice and professional touches to the project. It a joy to work with such dedicated, trustworthy, talented company.
This company is real and it's No Scam at all.
Mrs Adeniran(08037758423)
And this is your only post on NL,so you mean to tell us that you registered just to tell us about this your company angry angry

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oduncojamaica(m): 5:55am On Nov 12, 2017
[b]Pls house i have on going project presently, i need advise on putting overhead thank on the building or i should just use stansion separately. Some people said it can be water percolation into the building.
Pls advise advantage and disadvantages.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:46am On Nov 12, 2017
writejhn27:
Pls I just decked a room self contain and my fence where mark X sign today. I don’t wanna make mistake or be rip off. Where is the best place to rectify this? At Local Government or Lasbca

Thanks

LABSCA, ofc.

But what are you "rectifying" sef?

Is it not cheaper to get your Building Permit, that to allow those guys to keep milking you for "rectification"?

or even if you "rectify" small now, please start the process of obtaining your own documents otherwise, if they post that your contact out of the place and another one replaces him/her, you will need to start the rectification again since he will mark his own 'X'.

Govt needs to make the cost of obtaining a building permit more affordable and less tedious.
They cant fulfill their promise of providing houses for their citizens, yet they wont allow private builders to build in peace!
Thunder fire all these Politicians

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 10:03am On Nov 12, 2017
diordaves:
PHOTO CRITIQUE

Lets go on some academic jingoism. I say academic because I'm about to critique some projects on Nairaland but as we may well know, the projects might all have been completed and in full bloom and the home owners are already enjoying the fruit of their labour so any critique is just academic. But we should learn a thing or two for future project.

I kick-off with the first kitchen (Photo). What do you think is right with the layout of the kitchen? I think the wall tile is well done and I also like the POP work. The worktop is also half decent. But things go down hill from there. The layout of the first kitchen can be better designed:

1) there is scope for the window to be bigger to let in more light and ventilation.

2) the wall unit is too high, reaching items on the unit without a stand will be a problem even if the user is tall. All height should reach wall units without over reaching themselves.

3) the kitchen zinc looks like an after thought. More could be done in this area by working the zinc on the worktop. It is an L design layout but poorly done.

4) the most miffed aspect of the kitchen is the position of the Gas cylinder. Obviously there was no provision for the cylinder in the design of the kitchen. Cylinders as a safety recommendation should be outside and the connection pipped through the walls into the kitchen. This is not the case with this kitchen. This is a huge fire hazard. Cylinder gas heads are notorious to leak a lot. Imagine one is cooking and the gas head is leaking; there is real danger of gas explosion.

The second kitchen (photo) is a better designed "L" layout kitchen though I'm not sure with the choice of units colour of green and the busy wall tile. Having said that, the design layout is spot on.

The first kitchen is not bad but the occupier is just an untidy person.
Everything is strewn, everywhere!

The second Kitchen is horrible, the colour combination can wakeup a dead person.
Generally, l think people should colour-march their Wall Tile and Kitchen Cabinets, to produce a blend that is aesthetic.
Too many colours is like shouting inside a small room. Not Cool, at all..

That living Room, Hmmmm.... No Comment sef.

What caught my attention mostly, was the Gas Cylinder.
People are brave o!
Or are they just reckless with their lives?
please, go and advice the occupier of this house to PLEASE move that Cylinder outside, since like yesterday!

If l may ask, how safe is this other method whereby people put the Gas Cylinder inside one of the Cupboards, ususally under the Kitchen Sink?
I see a lot of people do this and l am just scared.

There is an item l saw online which detects gas leak in the Kitchen and automatically shuts the gas supply, using a Valve.
I think every Kitchen where gas is used, should have such item.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:56am On Nov 12, 2017
Daboomb:

The second Kitchen is horrible, the colour combination can wakeup a dead person.
Generally, l think people should colour-march their Wall Tile and Kitchen Cabinets, to produce a blend that is aesthetic.

People are brave o!
please, go and advice the occupier of this house to PLEASE move that Cylinder outside, since like yesterday!

If l may ask, how safe is this other method whereby people put the Gas Cylinder inside one of the Cupboards, ususally under the Kitchen Sink?

There is an item l saw online which detects gas leak in the Kitchen and automatically shuts the gas supply, using a Valve.
Gbam, well said and succinctly put cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:24pm On Nov 12, 2017
Daboomb:

People are brave o!

It is not safe to put the Gas Cylinder inside one of the cupboards. This is even more dangerous as gas leak may build-up in the enclosed area fast. It only need an ignition to course an explosion. Even a gas detector needs attention to details with respect to constantly monitoring the battery life. Such detectors need batteries and in Nigeria with fake batteries everywhere, the detector might fail when needed as the battery may have ran out without the occupants knowing. So it's good advice to keep gas cylinders outside.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:51pm On Nov 12, 2017
PHOTO CRITIQUE

What is wrong with this building (photo)?

This is a case of severe rising damp. Look at the foot of the building and the "black" build-up of algae as a result of damp. The case is even more peculiar as the compound is floored with concrete already so the building should not be experiencing such severe case of rising damp really. So what's the usual culprit of rising damp? Simple: No DPC.

We've had this discussion in the past with the need for German Floor or Damp Proof Course (DPC). Some homeowner would do German Floor, others would not. But let it be made clear that ALL foundations as best civil engineering practice should have a DPC in one form or the other. Any building without a German Floor (DPC) is susceptible to rising damp. Concreting the rooms and tiling over is just papering over the crack. The sandcret blocks without the DPC would still absorb water and moisture from the ground causing damp walls.

Another cause of external rising damp which is so often overlooked is doing your interlocking or concrete compound flooring ABOVE the DPC. By doing this, you've inadvertently breached your DPC especially when you did not bevel your interlocking or concrete flooring AWAY from the foundation. This may also be one of the causes of the severe case of rising damp with this building.

NOTE: your interlocking/compound flooring should be BELOW your DPC. Rising damp is a serious problem; the odour in the rooms alone can be off putting.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 6:39pm On Nov 12, 2017
Please, i need info about this ceiling board i got an offer for.

I have checked Nigerite range of Kalsi ceil ceiling boards which are similar but not same colour or pattern. I wonder what this actually is. I also want to know the company producing it, its durability and market value.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:04pm On Nov 12, 2017
adanny01:

I have checked Nigerite range of Kalsi ceil ceiling boards which are similar but not same colour or pattern. I wonder what this actually is. I also want to know the company producing it, its durability and market value.

Look like abestors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 7:18pm On Nov 12, 2017
diordaves:
PHOTO CRITIQUE

What is wrong with this building (photo)?

This is a case of severe rising damp. Look at the foot of the building and the "black" build-up of algae as a result of damp. The case is even more peculiar as the compound is floored with concrete already so the building should not be experiencing such severe case of rising damp really. So what's the usual culprit of rising damp? Simple: No DPC.

We've had this discussion in the past with the need for German Floor or Damp Proof Course (DPC). Some homeowner would do German Floor, others would not. But let it be made clear that ALL foundations as best civil engineering practice should have a DPC in one form or the other. Any building without a German Floor (DPC) is susceptible to rising damp. Concreting the rooms and tiling over is just papering over the crack. The sandcret blocks without the DPC would still absorb water and moisture from the ground causing damp walls.

Another cause of external rising damp which is so often overlooked is doing your interlocking or concrete compound flooring ABOVE the DPC. By doing this, you've inadvertently breached your DPC especially when you did not bevel your interlocking or concrete flooring AWAY from the foundation. This may also be one of the causes of the severe case of rising damp with this building.

NOTE: your interlocking/compound flooring should be BELOW your DPC. Rising damp is a serious problem; the odour in the rooms alone can be off putting.

I have seen homes with DPC having same problem. Roof gutter would have solved most of the issue of the dampness. The amount of water dropping from the roof directly to the base of the foundation is so enormous and causing the water to rise. If owner of the house can eliminate water coming from the roof and channel it elsewhere, most of the dampness can be eliminated. Don't underrate the water dropping from the roof and sinking into the foundation base. Think about amount of water that can be channelled away from the roof dropping to the foundation base if owner can just introduce roof gutter and funnel.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
twinskenny:

Look like abestors

Yes, it looks like it but not as brittle as abestos and the colour isnt close light brown vs grey. I poured water on it and it held water for about 5 mins without showing on the other side.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 9:58pm On Nov 12, 2017
adanny01:

Looks like POP ceiling Boards
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 11:37pm On Nov 12, 2017
DUNKA:
Looks like POP ceiling Boards
We learn everyday. Bro, what is POP ceiling board. Can you shade more light and pictures of it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 5:00am On Nov 13, 2017
Truthinlife:

We learn everyday. Bro, what is POP ceiling board. Can you shade more light and pictures of it.
they are manufactured pop ceiling boards which are bought ready made instead of moulded on site

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:22am On Nov 13, 2017
FastShipping:

I have seen homes with DPC having same problem. Roof gutter would have solved most of the issue of the dampness. The amount of water dropping from the roof directly to the base of the foundation is so enormous and causing the water to rise. If owner of the house can eliminate water coming from the roof and channel it elsewhere, most of the dampness can be eliminated. Don't underrate the water dropping from the roof and sinking into the foundation base. Think about amount of water that can be channelled away from the roof dropping to the foundation base if owner can just introduce roof gutter and funnel.
cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smallsmall: 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2017
hello
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 1:06pm On Nov 13, 2017
smallsmall:

Not Asbetos but Gypsum material.
Some call it POP Ceiling sheets
Around 2K/SqM (+/-)
Said to be fire resistant
Water resistant properties very poor (imagine a roof leak dropping on your Bed grin )
Comes in 2ft x 2ft suares.
Comes in various colors and design as well (see another below)

Never used it myself but l am considering giving it a go, very soon.

Possibly gypsum quite alright but it is 4x4ft.

It didnt absorb water. On handling, it leaves a you with a dusty hand.

Looks like POP.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oscarXXX: 3:49pm On Nov 13, 2017
@ daboomb. Pls I urgently need your phone number. I saw your post on chiropractor doctor in Nigeria and I am in urgent need of one. I am in pains.

Pls call or send text to 08060200254.

Thank you..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uppa(m): 7:11pm On Nov 13, 2017
writejhn27:

Bro this not a good advice. I don’t have power and resources to fight this APC Government
good day bro....been along time.....didnt see you on my whatsapp contact again, I want to reconnect........hope to hear from you soon
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:13pm On Nov 13, 2017
Obeseke:

Thanks Shegman; I appreciate.
Sir how much did u do it?
& your first dimension was incomplete
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 13, 2017
Daboomb:

LABSCA, ofc.

But what are you "rectifying" sef?

Is it not cheaper to get your Building Permit, that to allow those guys to keep milking you for "rectification"?

or even if you "rectify" small now, please start the process of obtaining your own documents otherwise, if they post that your contact out of the place and another one replaces him/her, you will need to start the rectification again since he will mark his own 'X'.

Govt needs to make the cost of obtaining a building permit more affordable and less tedious.
They cant fulfill their promise of providing houses for their citizens, yet they wont allow private builders to build in peace!
Thunder fire all these Politicians

Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 3:13am On Nov 14, 2017
oscarXXX:
@ daboomb. Pls I urgently need your phone number. I saw your post on chiropractor doctor in Nigeria and I am in urgent need of one. I am in pains.

Pls call or send text to 08060200254.

Thank you..

Check ur Email, pls.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 7:32am On Nov 14, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/do_share?post=62354360&redirect=%2F4078397%2F7-day-going-promo-5days-bungalow%2362354360&session=7F060847068DDA17332988F7B95CED38C9D2F6201A45E84971BAB516F6B5B8B8
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Obeseke: 7:49am On Nov 14, 2017
Rubbiish:

Sir how much did u do it?
& your first dimension was incomplete

Paid, N90,000 for 3m x 2.5m x 3m and the 2nd does not have a clear dimension but expected to be about same dimension.

@Twinskenny was very helpful and instrumental to brokering the deal
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:24am On Nov 14, 2017
Obeseke:

Paid, N90,000 for 3m x 2.5m x 3m and the 2nd does not have a clear dimension but expected to be about same dimension.

@Twinskenny was very helpful and instrumental to brokering the deal
90k JUST FOR DIGGING 3m length, 2.5m width & 3m depth
That was too much!
Where is your location?
They just rip u off....

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Obeseke: 9:58am On Nov 14, 2017
Rubbiish:

90k JUST FOR DIGGING 3m length, 2.5m width & 3m depth
That was too much!
Where is your location?
They just rip u off....

Thanks my brother. The job is almost reaching completion as we speak and we have moved on on that.
The site is somewhere in Pedro through Charlie Boy (Gbagada Phase I)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:04am On Nov 14, 2017
Obeseke:

Thanks my brother. The job is almost reaching completion as we speak and we have moved on on that.
The site is somewhere in Pedro through Charlie Boy (Gbagada Phase I)
Okay sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spiceeamiee(f): 1:28pm On Nov 14, 2017
Good afternoon good people. I tried reading a few pages back but then decided to just go ahead and ask my question. What quality of a three bedroom bungalow will N4m give me? If I raise my budget to N5m, what advantages will I get? I would like to know what I can get in terms of interlocking (half plot of land), PVC ceiling for the sitting room, tiles for the bedrooms, water tank, lighting, etc. Your input will be highly appreciated. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:49pm On Nov 14, 2017
spiceeamiee:
Good afternoon good people. I tried reading a few pages back but then decided to just go ahead and ask my question. What quality of a three bedroom bungalow will N4m give me? If I raise my budget to N5m, what advantages will I get? I would like to know what I can get in terms of interlocking (half plot of land), PVC ceiling for the sitting room, tiles for the bedrooms, water tank, lighting, etc. Your input will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Do u have a drawing i can give a rough estimate on electrical
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 1:51pm On Nov 14, 2017
For interested clients

(1) (2) (3) ... (808) (809) (810) (811) (812) (813) (814) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ojoboak(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.