Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (843) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4365231 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (840) (841) (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 7:53pm On Jan 17, 2018
Chekitaut:
Advantage of R
Dry faster, Curing is fast
fast construction work

Disadvantage of R
Require lots of water for concrete works
Tendency to have cracking.

Advantage of N
Watering is friendly any time before complete curing.
Hardly you experience cracking

Disadvantage of N
Slow construction work
Curing is slow

Between R and N which one is better for structure concrete work? My thought was that for structures like pillars and raft foundations, slow curing is preferred.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:07pm On Jan 17, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir do u mean 5500litre tank per 3bedroom flat or per 3 number of 2bedroom flat?

The plan is for 5500 litres per 3bedroom flat. That's the calculation for the tower capacity.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:11pm On Jan 17, 2018
Chekitaut:
Advantage of R
fast construction work

Disadvantage of R

Advantage of N

Disadvantage of N
Slow construction work
Curing is slow

Very good advice. I used R for internal plastering and cracking maps everywhere. Wall dried too fast. Had to discontinue.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:22pm On Jan 17, 2018
earthrealm:
pls i need estimate for the following.

1. pop cost per sq meter
2. tiling cost per square meter

if anybody can gimme labour cost persq meter separate, that would be great
Cost of labour may vary with location & ur negotiation power
1. POP 1k per sqm
2. Tile 300naira per sqm

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:39pm On Jan 17, 2018
ice4u999:

Between R and N which one is better for structure concrete work? My thought was that for structures like pillars and raft foundations, slow curing is preferred.
N most preferred mostly for concrete.

R was introduced when Dangote consultant observed High users are block producers so 2 things was done, increase the grade and fast dryness,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:41pm On Jan 17, 2018
diordaves:

Very good advice. I used R for internal plastering and cracking maps everywhere. Wall dried too fast. Had to discontinue.
Sand used can also brings about the cracking the Manson can also be reason, so many things can be involve.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 17, 2018
Question for astute folks.

Let’s say you’re developing a block of flats. Quick money is not the ultimate goal but actual livability for residents is a major goal.

Do Nigerians prefer all the living quarters on one floor or on separate floors?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 6:53am On Jan 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

Cost of labour may vary with location & ur negotiation power
1. POP 1k per sqm
2. Tile 300naira per sqm

thanks, am assuming this is labour cost.
my challenge is this...i intend to put pop in an area of about 15 sq meter, they r quoting abot 100k for the job, i am trying to know if its a good price or i am being cheated, they are buying everything+labour,

likewise tiles, though i know tiles is a bit different, as you can buy the tiles yourself and then get some1 to install them for you at the cost u put above. the pop, since i hv no clue about it..i want to leave them to buy everything n do the job, n lern from it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:04am On Jan 18, 2018
earthrealm:

my challenge is this...i intend to put pop in an area of about 15 sq meter, they r quoting abot 100k for the job, i am trying to know if its a good price or i am being cheated, they are buying everything+labour,

likewise tiles, though i know tiles is a bit different, as you can buy the tiles yourself and then get some1 to install them for you at the cost u put above. the pop, since i hv no clue about it..i want to leave them to buy everything n do the job, n lern from it
The prices i quoted are only for labour.
I think 100k is much
60k should do 15sqm both materials & labour

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:14am On Jan 18, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Let’s say you’re developing a block of flats. Quick money is not the ultimate goal but actual livability for residents is a major goal.

Thanks.
Well...i think it depends on the developer
Space is a serious consideration for one floor approach
But i believe there will always be people to occupy them as long as d building is okay, regardless of d number of floors.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:43am On Jan 18, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

A storey building will rent faster in the same location than two or three storey building as it is a challenge to access higher floors with shopping and furnishing without lift facilities. For a single storey building like the traditional four flats, the higher floor will rent faster than the ground floor due to security concern and better air flow and access is not too much of a challenge. So it is wise to assess the design process and possibly limit floors to just two if no lift facility is going to be installed and put the faster renting flats like one bedroom and two bedroom on the upper floor and three bedroom on the ground floor as renters looking for three bedroom sometimes do have elderly parents living with them and have cars so don't mind the ground floor. Sometimes also three bedrooms are sort after by neighbourhood hospitals so don't mind ground floor.

So if livability is your priority, do a mix mode block of flats and try to limit the floors to two: ground floor and upper floor.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:24am On Jan 18, 2018
earthrealm:

Some do 3k per sqsm materials inclusive some do 3300....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CharlesAA: 11:18am On Jan 18, 2018
Hi Superstars,

we are doing the ironworks for a foundation, its about 2m in height, being that its a waterlogged area of magboro, lagos ibadan road.

now the panel supplier is charging 1k/sqm, calculation for sqm for the framing is about 355sqm.

is this a fair price?

where else can I get a panel for use, so i can do a comparison of the prices.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 18, 2018
diordaves:

A storey building will rent faster in the same location than two or three storey building as it is a challenge to access higher floors with shopping and furnishing without lift facilities. For a single storey building like the traditional four flats, the higher floor will rent faster than the ground floor due to security concern and better air flow and access is not too much of a challenge. So it is wise to assess the design process and possibly limit floors to just two if no lift facility is going to be installed and put the faster renting flats like one bedroom and two bedroom on the upper floor and three bedroom on the ground floor as renters looking for three bedroom sometimes do have elderly parents living with them and have cars so don't mind the ground floor. Sometimes also three bedrooms are sort after by neighbourhood hospitals so don't mind ground floor.

So if livability is your priority, do a mix mode block of flats and try to limit the floors to two: ground floor and upper floor.

Thanks for the detailed response.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 3:12pm On Jan 18, 2018
Chekitaut:
Advantage of R
fast construction work

Disadvantage of R

Advantage of N

Disadvantage of N
Slow construction work
Curing is slow
Nice info. R grade is also good for raft beam and concrete work in jobs like piles etc.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 2:53am On Jan 19, 2018
earthrealm:
pls i need estimate for the following.

1. pop cost per sq meter
2. tiling cost per square meter

if anybody can gimme labour cost persq meter separate, that would be great

100k for the POP is too expensive for 15m². For materials, it shouldn't take more than 7 bags of white cement and 5kg of sponge. Get them to tell you how much they would take per m², which usually is 1k while you purchase the materials. Alternatively, 3k per m² seems fair for both materials and labour. I have just finished almost 200m² of pop

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by timifakay(m): 3:59am On Jan 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

It depends on the location
Mega city (Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja) multi storey.
City- state capitals- (Ibadan, Abeokuta, Osogbo, Akure and the likes) single or 2 storey will sell, single preferably.
Town (Ogbomoso, Ilesa, Ago Iwoye and the likes) bungalows are advisable.

In a place like Lagos or Port Harcourt, the worst place to live is the ground floor. The compounds are hardly ever large enough to allow for adequate space between fence and building, and when there's enough space it serves as parking lot for residents- therefore high chance of windows being blocked by cars (especially SUVs), high likelihood surrounding houses are storey buildings, noise of all power generators in the compound and neighboring compounds are most audible on ground floor, ground floor apartments are most accessible to neighbourhood thieves or burglars and rodents... So alot of people in Lagos avoid ground floor due to heat, noise, high burglary rate. So the first and second floors are preferable, first floors even cost 50k to 100k more than ground floor in some cases.
City: there's still enough land for the city to expand so compounds are usually large, people are still very particular about ease of accessing their flat and frequent going out and coming in, playground for kids... than things people in mega cities consider. Living on ground floor doesn't pose extra discomfort. I've never heard of price difference in floors in Ìbàdàn.

Towns, people hardly build for the purpose of letting out here as demand is low, except in places there's a government owned tertiary institution, people build hostels around as pthe school never has enough hostel facilities, in this case storey building of self contained apartments (a room with its own kitchen, toilet and bathroom) is the most desirable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:15am On Jan 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

Separate floors o, to avoid the eyes of busy body neighbours who will be monitoring you like secret service and counting the number of times you import different babes grin Just joking.

But if quick profit is not the ultimate goal, go for floors on the same level like ground floors.

People of the east always like to build high because of the cost of one land here in urban settings, renters book houses more than 6 months before its completion. Forms are sold, non refundable N2,000 to stand a chance to be considered to pay for the house. The picture is Onitsha, and yes, there's no lift on the 5 storey building you see. A good way to exercise daily, that's why they all look fit to hustle grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:26am On Jan 19, 2018
Chekitaut:
N most preferred mostly for concrete.

R was introduced when Dangote consultant observed High users are block producers so 2 things was done, increase the grade and fast dryness,

You're the Cement expert but i think R is best for concrete works. According to my experience, you will achieve needed strength in half the time an N-cement would. The 7-day, 21-day, stength etc is always double the R.

Also, when you need a strength of more than 30N/mm~2 you use the R which the N cannot give.

Just wet continuously.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:28am On Jan 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

Except you're building for the young and restless, one floor will be okay.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:29am On Jan 19, 2018
diordaves:

True. Never use R for plastering.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:43am On Jan 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:
@KolaShangOne can you educate the house on this? If anyone knows you will.

http://structuracasa.com/Structuracasa/property/legacy-estates/

http://legacyestatesib.com/buy-a-home/

Once bought land for a client here some years ago.. It's an estate within an Estate (Kolapo Ishola GRA). It's a really nice place to build or own a home. They share a fence with Carlton Gate estate. The labd then was about 10million naira though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 9:04am On Jan 19, 2018
Thank you @Chekitaut for this post.
I had a serious fight with my bricklayer over several cracks (tiny funny lines all over the place like spider web).
My initial thought is that he did not use enough cement; he tried to prove he did and then i blamed the sand and him that with his years of experience should have known the sand is not suitable (which was the sand he advised we get anyway).
Now I am thinking I might have been a bit unfair because i know we used the R (although he still should know the nexus between R & cracking anyway)
Now his position is that this can be corrected if i screed the walls; i really do not want to screed anything (cost factor)
my questions are:
1-can screeding help?
2-what other options are available aside from screeding?
thank you

Chekitaut:
Advantage of R
fast construction work

Disadvantage of R

Advantage of N

Disadvantage of N
Slow construction work
Curing is slow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 9:56am On Jan 19, 2018
peaceland:
I had a serious fight with my bricklayer over several cracks (tiny funny lines all over the place like spider web).
My initial thought is that he did not use enough cement; he tried to prove he did and then i blamed the sand and him that with his years of experience should have known the sand is not suitable (which was the sand he advised we get anyway).
Now I am thinking I might have been a bit unfair because i know we used the R (although he still should know the nexus between R & cracking anyway)
Now his position is that this can be corrected if i screed the walls; i really do not want to screed anything (cost factor)
my questions are:
1-can screeding help?
thank you

After being assured by the expert in the house that the cracks are superficial, then I could say you either screed the wall or apply a primer coat of thick emulsion in multiple coats.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 10:45am On Jan 19, 2018
Thank you @ gbadexy.
to qualify my post - I noticed this only on external (i.e open to weather) walls, rare inside.
This was actually why i am thinking I may have been a little unfair in my judgement. saw only 1-2 inside but quite a lot outside so thinking weather made the drying up a bit faster or something like that.
screeding appears a costly venture. is it possible to screed only sections and not all? (dont mind my questions o)
Thanks

gbadexy:

After being assured by the expert in the house that the cracks are superficial, then I could say you either screed the wall or apply a primer coat of thick emulsion in multiple coats.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:07am On Jan 19, 2018
peaceland:
Thank you @ gbadexy.
to qualify my post - I noticed this only on external (i.e open to weather) walls, rare inside.
This was actually why i am thinking I may have been a little unfair in my judgement. saw only 1-2 inside but quite a lot outside so thinking weather made the drying up a bit faster or something like that.
screeding appears a costly venture. is it possible to screed only sections and not all? (dont mind my questions o)
Thanks

It's not impossible for the weather to be the cause as plasters would naturally dry faster than inside but only the experts could give the verdict as there are other conditions that may make cracks appear on a wall.
If you were to screed sections of a wall, the wall would no longer be level, except If you intend to screed a separate side of the wall completely.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:14pm On Jan 19, 2018
peaceland:
my questions are:
1-can screeding help?
thank you

Sir, if you do not want screeding due to cost ignore it, paint will cover up, you can actually screed with Portland cement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:33pm On Jan 19, 2018
KolaShangOne:

You're the Cement expert but i think R is best for concrete works. According to my experience, you will achieve needed strength in half the time an N-cement would. The 7-day, 21-day, stength etc is always double the R.

Also, when you need a strength of more than 30N/mm~2 you use the R which the N cannot give.

Just wet continuously.
Accept you can never get the quantity of water need in a stable concrete mixture, and if you agree with me water application before curing is very important. if excess it has no side implications

Remember the cement is 42.5 it can never exceed it grade. R or N are 42.5. processing & aplication with precautions are what should be consider.

Am not campaigning or advertising N. do u consider why marine board & polythene is used for concrete, is simple to stop water from escape so as to allow water used take care of the curing process..

N can be handle in any form, while R can not.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 3:17pm On Jan 19, 2018
spyder880:

Separate floors o, to avoid the eyes of busy body neighbours who will be monitoring you like secret service and counting the number of times you import different babes grin Just joking.

But if quick profit is not the ultimate goal, go for floors on the same level like ground floors.

People of the east always like to build high because of the cost of one land here in urban settings, renters book houses more than 6 months before its completion. Forms are sold, non refundable N2,000 to stand a chance to be considered to pay for the house. The picture is Onitsha, and yes, there's no lift on the 5 storey building you see. A good way to exercise daily, that's why they all look fit to hustle grin

I guess you cannot have a Lift in a 5-storey building if there is no steady Power, as it is in U.S. or U.K. May not even be cost-effective for the landlord to provide a gen and install a Lift(powered by a gen) in a 5-storey building

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 4:19pm On Jan 19, 2018
Greetings my Ogas in the house.

I have been following many threads here in properties section and I enjoy seeing so many constructions going on and I wish everyone both the clients, the contractors and us onlookers good luck in all our endeavors.

But, while we embark on this construction journeys, I ask for us to be aware of site safety. I have seen pictures from different sites where workers are working without shoes(ten toes), in some sites workers are wearing bathroom slippers.

Abeg, site engineers, architects, contractors please lets try and reinforce workers safety on site. It starts with simple PPE.

Thank you!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:31pm On Jan 19, 2018
Chekitaut:
Accept you can never get the quantity of water need in a stable concrete mixture, and if you agree with me water application before curing is very important. if excess it has no side implications

Remember the cement is 42.5 it can never exceed it grade. R or N are 42.5. processing & aplication with precautions are what should be consider.

Am not campaigning or advertising N. do u consider why marine board & polythene is used for concrete, is simple to stop water from escape so as to allow water used take care of the curing process..

N can be handle in any form, while R can not.
Why u no talk say u na engineer nau...U con dey deceive us
You are right sir, R may attain maximum strength faster than N, but i believe they will eventually attain same strength, since they are same grade.
I only see R to be suitable for projects with limited time, say one is concreting a floor to be used by vehicles next week, just maybe it will be more suitable to use R.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 5:33pm On Jan 19, 2018
Badgers14:
Greetings my Ogas in the house.

I have been following many threads here in properties section and I enjoy seeing so many constructions going on and I wish everyone both the clients, the contractors and us onlookers good luck in all our endeavors.

But, while we embark on this construction journeys, I ask for us to be aware of site safety. I have seen pictures from different sites where workers are working without shoes(ten toes), in some sites workers are wearing bathroom slippers.

Abeg, site engineers, architects, contractors please lets try and reinforce workers safety on site. It starts with simple PPE.

Thank you!!!
All these our rugged labourers we get for naija go even gree wear protective clothing lol cheesy
One labourer once told me him no dey feel comfortable if him wear those clothes...

(1) (2) (3) ... (840) (841) (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.