Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (985) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4365543 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 13, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Hi sir
Its epic_ceramics here
Vitrified tiles is the best for floor tiles cus the same colour at the surface penetrates through the entire thickness of the tile,so no matter the traffic at the area it remains for a long time. Most banks use vitrified tiles .

On braking the bank grin
It all depends on who you buy from and the places you want use them for. Its quite affordable here in Lagos.
There are vitrified tile in Nigerian,China and Spanish products .

My Advice: If you are buying enough tiles you can come to Lagos or let us deliver them to you in Ibadan. I believe it would be cheaper that way. cool

Below is a sample of Spanish vitrified tile
Is our regular nigeria ceremics like times ceramic tiles an example of vitrified tiles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 9:54pm On Jun 13, 2018
skelefish:

Is our regular nigeria ceremics like times ceramic tiles an example of vitrified tiles?

Hi
It depends on the one you are talking about
While some are,some are not
Others are porcelain and ceramic tiles

Below is a Nigerian Vitrified tile,a product of Royal

However TIMES CERAMICS don't produce vitrified tiles,if they do I have not seen it

2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:08am On Jun 14, 2018
abbeycial:

So am I safe to use it for decking slabs for a two storey building with 4 units of 2 bedroom flats? am really tempted due to finacial constraints.

I would also appreciate if I can be enlightened on any additional fortification required for the above.

P-L-E-A-SE ...DONT BE TEMPTED! DONT USE GRAVEL!! DONT DO IT!!!
HOLD-ON AND SAVE MORE.

YOU WILL ALWAYS BE WORRIED, EACH TIME YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOU DID.
THIS IS A TWO STOREY, NOT A BUNGALOW!
ITS BETTER TO SPEND EXTRA AND HAVE PEACE OF MIND, THAN TO BE SORRY!
IT IS VERY EAASY FOR DECKS TO COLLAPSE, BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT THEY HAVE TO SUPPORT! undecided
REMEMBER, LIFE HAS NO DUPLICATE.
LET THOSE THAT HAVE EARS.........HEAR. undecided undecided
MAY GOD GIVE YOU WISDOM.

NB: I was 'shouting' intentionally (All Caps), because l want youto hear me. angry
Something in me is ringing an alarm bell right now and over time, my hunch rarely goes wrong!
PLEASE, l take God beg you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:14am On Jun 14, 2018
bixton:

Is the bold an idiom or some form of typo?

b-r-e-a-k-i-n-g the b-a-n-k

It is a "coded message" Saraki uses to communicate with "empowered' boyz . shocked shocked undecided undecided

***quickly ducks under the nearest flyover before bricks start flying uppandan***** grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 14, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Hi
It depends on the one you are talking about
While some are,some are not
Others are porcelain and ceramic tiles

Below is a Nigerian Vitrified tile,a product of Royal

However TIMES CERAMICS don't produce vitrified tiles,if they do I have not seen it
thanks for ur time sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:59am On Jun 14, 2018
Daboomb:

HOLD-ON AND SAVE MORE.

IT IS VERY EAASY FOR DECKS TO COLLAPSE, BECAUSE OF THE WEIGHT THEY HAVE TO SUPPORT! undecided
MAY GOD GIVE YOU WISDOM.

NB: I was 'shouting' intentionally (All Caps), because l want youto hear me. angry
Something in me is ringing an alarm bell right now and over time, my hunch rarely goes wrong!

Are you saying the use of gravel is what caused this building's collapse?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sameniceguy(m): 9:39am On Jun 14, 2018
Good morning house. I want to pit up a bedroom duplex some where in phc on a 100 x 50 plot of land
I need sample of good designs with quotations if possible.
Downstairs- sitting room with dinning and small bat, living room, kitchen, store, lundary, staircase inside the sitting room. Sitting room will have small void

Upsatirs- 3 rooms, small children sitting room small library
Note all room ensuite

mcarthurgeo@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:35am On Jun 14, 2018
sameniceguy:
Good morning house. I want to pit up a bedroom duplex some where in phc on a 100 x 50 plot of land
Downstairs- sitting room with dinning and small bat, living room, kitchen, store, lundary, staircase inside the sitting room. Sitting room will have small void

Note all room ensuite

mcarthurgeo@yahoo.com

I think the guest room should be on the ground floor while u take two to upper floor....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sameniceguy(m): 11:20am On Jun 14, 2018
Rubbiish:

I think the guest room should be on the ground floor while u take two to upper floor....

Yes the guest room will be the only room downstairs then upstairs will ne 3 rooms
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 1:08pm On Jun 14, 2018
sameniceguy:

Yes the guest room will be the only room downstairs then upstairs will ne 3 rooms
make a smart move
create a master bedroom downstairs. If you don't use it today
It will be there for you to use at your old age
Age is a bitch and good
we all pray to get old

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 2:37pm On Jun 14, 2018
bixton:

Are you saying the use of gravel is what caused this building's collapse?

No.

The pix is for illustration purposes. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Yemibrilliant(m): 7:31pm On Jun 14, 2018
shams040:

It possible the building approval is 50k it all depends on the l * b *h of the building. Although if it Lagos it not possible.

The beat you can do is get the drawing and move to the town planning office then get your assessment and other required documents to process the approval. Which includes your survey, title document, tax, passport etc.
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2018
Gravel for building is not bad, depending on what we call gravel. But I must admit granite is better. Can we have a sample of the gravel in question?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:22pm On Jun 14, 2018
spyder880:
Gravel for building is not bad, depending on what we call gravel. But I must admit granite is better. Can we have a sample of the gravel in question?
It's been long i saw someone use gravel, those who can't afford granite, now use stone base in place of granite.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 9:41pm On Jun 14, 2018
sameniceguy:

Note all room ensuite

mcarthurgeo@yahoo.com

Hello,
You can reach me on whatsapp to have that.
A similar/relation to a duplex design @Lagos with d bill of quantities.
+234-810-045-2977(whatsapp)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:58pm On Jun 14, 2018
Rubbiish:

It's been long i saw someone use gravel, those who can't afford granite, now use stone base in place of granite.

Gravel is spherical in shape and in different sizes.

This is what they look like so far the ones I've seen in aba and makurdi.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 10:02pm On Jun 14, 2018
A very important thing to note is compacting it very well to avoid voids why using stones.

Just to throw a little contribution....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:31pm On Jun 14, 2018
Timtol:
A very important thing to note is compacting it very well to avoid voids why using stones.

Just to throw a little contribution....

The problem of gravel is beyond compaction even though the actual definition of gravel has more to do with particle size than anything.

The problems has to do with the rock parent material, size and surface texture.

Granite is the most prefered rock. A rough surface texture is prefered to smooth. Size of 5-20mm is suitable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:57pm On Jun 14, 2018
adanny01:

The problem of gravel is beyond compaction even though the actual definition of gravel has more to do with particle size than anything.

The problems has to do with the rock parent material, size and surface texture.

Granite is the most prefered rock. A rough surface texture is prefered to smooth. Size of 5-20mm is suitable.

Right. That is what matters in aggregate selection and not if its gravel or granite. In the part of the country I come from, we have been building medium high rises of 4 -5 floors high since the early seventies and we had zero granite in all the buildings till around 2005 when few individuals started using them. And no building collapsed since then on only the reason of the stone type used. Most 1970 - 99 houses in Enugu and Onitsha were built with only gravel.

Care should be taken while selecting stones, washed gravels are much better, followed by chipped or crushed gravel. But we all use granite in Enugu and Anambra these days, even as they are brought in from neighbouring states.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:01pm On Jun 14, 2018
The granite stone, cleaner, purer and of course costlier than gravel.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 4:21am On Jun 15, 2018
spyder880:

Right. That is what matters in aggregate selection and not if its gravel or granite. In the part of the country I come from, we have been building medium high rises of 4 -5 floors high since the early seventies and we had zero granite in all the buildings till around 2005 when few individuals started using them. And no building collapsed since then on only the reason of the stone type used. Most 1970 - 99 houses in Enugu and Onitsha were built with only gravel.

Care should be taken while selecting stones, washed gravels are much better, followed by chipped or crushed gravel. But we all use granite in Enugu and Anambra these days, even as they are brought in from neighbouring states.
Cool idea
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:09am On Jun 15, 2018
bixton:

Gravel is spherical in shape and in different sizes.

This is what they look like so far the ones I've seen in aba and makurdi.
What u described is pebble, gravel is chunky and jagged.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:21am On Jun 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

What u described is pebble, gravel is chunky and jagged.

Except probably each region has different types.
As a growing teenager in port harcourt, that is what I know to be called gravel.
My technical drawing teacher, a graduate of civil engineering doing his nysc , cannot be wrong.

During my nysc days in the middle belt, in the ministry I served, that is what I was told is, gravel.
My director, head of engineering services department and the rest engineers in the department can't be also wrong.

Do you know the aggregate called 3/8 coarse sand; its also referred to as 3/8 gravel.

They are all stones or rock deposits in different forms mined from different locations.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:08am On Jun 15, 2018
bixton:

My technical drawing teacher, a graduate of civil engineering doing his nysc , cannot be wrong.

@bold...No one is a paragon
Except u haven't gone wrong for once in ur field of practice
Even professors do go wrong....

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 1:51pm On Jun 15, 2018
Daboomb:

HOLD-ON AND SAVE MORE.

MAY GOD GIVE YOU WISDOM.

thanks a lot bro...I have ordered for granite.
I sincerely appreciate your guide.

thanks a lot.

but seems the granite varies cuz I have seen them with different sizes(small Powdery and a little big ones almost the size of gravel)

abeg which one is the best.
cc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:12pm On Jun 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

@bold...No one is a paragon
Except u haven't gone wrong for once in ur field of practice
Even professors do go wrong....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravel
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 2:23pm On Jun 15, 2018
abbeycial:

thanks a lot.

but seems the granite varies cuz I have seen them with different sizes(small Powdery and a little big ones almost the size of gravel)

cc

Just tell them 3/4".
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 2:39pm On Jun 15, 2018
bixton:

Just tell them 3/4".
okay..thanks alot
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 2:49pm On Jun 15, 2018
abbeycial:

thanks a lot.

cc

God will provide more funds for you by enriching the good work of your hands.

Yes, they come in different sizes and the size you buy should be guided by what you intend using it for or as specified in your archy drawings.
3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, e.t.c.

My own rule of thumb is that the larger/thicker the Concrete, the bigger the size of granite l use.
Decking? I'll buy 1/2..... so l can use it for tother things as well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 4:45pm On Jun 15, 2018
abbeycial:

thanks a lot.

cc
Sir regardless of the information u garner from here, i will still advise u engage a professional to physically coordinate this decking phase to avoid possible site errors. This shouldn't stop u from asking questions, so u can query him should incase he goes wrong. But it is very important u have a professional on ground to oversee the decking stage.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 6:52am On Jun 16, 2018
Daboomb:

God will provide more funds for you by enriching the good work of your hands.

Yes, they come in different sizes and the size you buy should be guided by what you intend using it for or as specified in your archy drawings.
3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, e.t.c.

My own rule of thumb is that the larger/thicker the Concrete, the bigger the size of granite l use.
Decking? I'll buy 1/2..... so l can use it for tother things as well.

Baba, so whats the recommended size to do german floor of a bungalow?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dejavus: 2:04pm On Jun 16, 2018
GoodFaith:

make a smart move
create a master bedroom downstairs. If you don't use it today
It will be there for you to use at your old age
Age is a bitch and good
we all pray to get old

if properly designed from the start, i don't see any issue in adopting the bedroom on the ground floor for your own use in the future.

(1) (2) (3) ... (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) (987) (988) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.