Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4366062 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2015
brabus:

Interesting! Unfortunately, the architect who drew the plan was the owners man. Likewise, the supervisor of the project wholly in charge of construction (excavation, blinding, reinforcement detailing, setting out, bricklaying, and sandfilling and even approval) till the alarm was blown was appointed by the owner.

The man who took the blame was the contractor who was somewhere in Lagos hoping things are going fine. He never had anything to do with the foundation until correction stage.

That's behind the scene sha. More like story for the gods.

Brabus Brabus I cannot believe that you would bring up this again. Sounds like the portHarcourt project which you totally goofed on. You continue to amaze me.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:23pm On Aug 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

That last sentence wouldn't apply in my case.

I think the issue with most Nigerian "professionals" that I've ran across so far is the air of superiority they attempt to pass off. Maybe it's because I'm Americana/Londoner and they assume we are dunces over here but what there is nothing structural about a building plan that "I" cannot decipher. This is not my first rodeo.

We shouldn't treat ALL clients the same. Some clients like me are intuned while some are not. We should not carry along any client that doesn't want to be carried along. Any contractor that wants to carry me along should recognize my heft grin

I want to work hand in hand with my chosen artisans (as partners, it's my site - not as an owner but as THE General Contractor), not to be carried along.

I think people over rate the word ' professional ' here a lot. before you build a house you have an architect that will design the house base on client taste, requirement and general building codes. The level of involvement of others like civil engineer ( for structural work) mechanical engineers ( plumbing, cooling device and heating system) electrical engineers ( wiring and lighting devices ) depend on the complexity of the work and design.

I have seen so many poorly done job on nairaland and off nairaland and the first thing that comes to mind is the little attention generally paid to structural work. most people build high end building of several floors ( 2- storey and above ) without something as basic as soil test which cost so much less compare to the cost of the finished building.

Building a bungalow is not rocket science and the owner ( where the money is coming from) can decide to be the general contractor , job progress will be down to proper communication and understanding between building owner and all others professionals involved

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2015
segcymoor:

I think it should be within range of 6k

Segcy baba thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 30, 2015
mufutau55:

Spyder880 used and posted some and the prices sometimes ago... fire him an email and he will respond and I will check my archives if I find it.
Have you inquired in all those Alade markets etc in Lagos. I am sure it's around somewhere there.

Hajji M.

I appreciate that bro.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 3:17pm On Aug 30, 2015
mufutau55:

Spyder880 used and posted some and the prices sometimes ago... fire him an email and he will respond and I will check my archives if I find it.
Have you inquired in all those Alade markets etc in Lagos. I am sure it's around somewhere there.

Hajji M.

I have bought that piece for N2,500 last year. We call it the rosette.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 3:24pm On Aug 30, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I think people over rate the world ' professional ' here a lot. before you build a house you have an architect that will design the base house based on client taste, requirement and general building codes. The level of involvement of others like civil engineer ( for structural work) mechanical engineers ( plumbing, cooling device and heating system) electrical engineers ( wiring and lighting devices ) depend on the complexity of the work and design.

I have seen some many poorly done job on nairaland and off nairaland and the first thing that comes to mind is the little attention we generally paid to structural work. most people build high end building of several floors ( 2- storey and above ) without something as basic as soil test which cost so much less compare to the cost of the finished building.

Building a bungalow is not rocket science and the owner ( where the money is coming from) can decide to be the general contractor , the level of progress will be down to communication and understanding between building owner and all others involved

The problem is that most people follow their gut instincts when in comes to building houses. The home owners who change plans and want the professional to add to the building without following due process is to blame, as much as the builder or contractor who carries out a building work without recourse to the building plans.

I think we should all pause and seek professional advice whenever we are not clear about what to do.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
spyder880:

To help Oga Spyder out... the designed type per my Oga.

Hajji M.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 4:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
erico2k2:

That is why we should try and get basic skilz of DIY ehe, why pay to tile a room if you can do it urself on saturday morning with a good bottle of non alchoholic rosey grin grin grin
Pls what do u mean by DIY
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 4:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
3strike:
Please anyone know how much this POP center design sells for and where I can get them?

That size? 1k. 2k max. You can get it anywhere POP products is being sold. I hope this isn't meant for bedrooms? Over the years, I've seen ceiling medallions being mis-used. Ceiling medallions and ceiling domes are ideally to be used where there will be chandelier. Not drop lights, not cover lights, not ceiling lights.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cconcept: 4:59pm On Aug 30, 2015
abdulwastecx:

German floor/Dpc/oversite concrete is not a must.... If you cant afford it, there are other ways you can prevent moisture from rising through the foundation.

This is one of the method we developed to aid people who cant afford german floor.
The steps to follow are listed bellow :
1. after the foundation block work has been completed, filled the foundation and fully compacted the foundation with any available soil free from debris.
2. cut any non permeable materials like plastic carpet, Polystyrene or pvc ( carpet is most preferable), all the materials to extend out the block area by a minimum of 450mm both ways......then you can build your wall without any stress

Please can you put more light on point 2?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 30, 2015
spyder880:

Thanks bro for the heads up. Its appreciated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 30, 2015
Dominionng:

That size? 1k. 2k max. You can get it anywhere POP products is being sold. I hope this isn't meant for bedrooms? Over the years, I've seen ceiling medallions being mis-used. Ceiling medallions and ceiling domes are ideally to be used where there will be chandelier. Not drop lights, not cover lights, not ceiling lights.

Thanks bro for the info.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:21pm On Aug 30, 2015
nabiz:

Do It Yourself "DIY"
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 30, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I think people over rate the world ' professional ' here a lot. before you build a house you have an architect that will design the base house based on client taste, requirement and general building codes. The level of involvement of others like civil engineer ( for structural work) mechanical engineers ( plumbing, cooling device and heating system) electrical engineers ( wiring and lighting devices ) depend on the complexity of the work and design.

I have seen some many poorly done job on nairaland and off nairaland and the first thing that comes to mind is the little attention we generally paid to structural work. most people build high end building of several floors ( 2- storey and above ) without something as basic as soil test which cost so much less compare to the cost of the finished building.

Building a bungalow is not rocket science and the owner ( where the money is coming from) can decide to be the general contractor , the level of progress will be down to communication and understanding between building owner and all others involved

Not just professional but the word engineer is misused. Even Taofeek that repairs "ero ilota" considers himself an engineer.

Building a bungalow is not rocket science and why I chose to build a bungalow, not just for me but for my builder. It's far mor complex than a story building for sure. I also chose to build and supervise a bungalow because of my capability. Just like a choose to restore classic LBC (Little British Cars like Austin Mini, MG B and Triumphs for their simplicity, so I did chose to build aa bungalow. You've seen my floorpan (which mush remain confidential by the way), I could have saved so much plan if I just stacked it but I have no interest in supervising a story building as it's outside of my scope of confidence. At least for now.

"A man needs to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 30, 2015
Empiree:
Do It Yourself "DIY"

A term I have now found that escapes most Nigerians and that some, not all for the love of God, Nigerian builders are intimidated by grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 30, 2015
spyder880:

The problem is that most people follow their gut instincts when in comes to building houses. The home owners who change plans and want the professional to add to the building without following due process is to blame, as much as the builder or contractor who carries out a building work without recourse to the building plans.

I think we should all pause and seek professional advice whenever we are not clear about what to do.

I couldn't agree more.

This is why I took time to finalize my plans and do many many changes on the drawings (poor Darynex can testify to that and I'm eternally indebted to his professionalism for indulging me). Clients that makes structural impacting changes are dooming their projects either safety wise or financial wise, but it can be done as you said by consulting the pro's.

This is another reason that I'm warming up to pillars, with pillars and proper beams then my walls are non load bearing and I can make changes in the future willy nilly.

I'll like to convert my courtyard walls to glass like in the picture in the future once I can afford the amount gorilla glass that will be required. I've planned for this ahead of time in my design and I can do it without having to engage pros again grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:15pm On Aug 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Not just professional but the word engineer is misused. Even Taofeek that repairs "ero ilota" considers himself an engineer.

Building a bungalow is not rocket science and why I chose to build a bungalow, not just for me but for my builder. It's far mor complex than a story building for sure. I also chose to build and supervise a bungalow because of my capability. Just like a choose to restore classic LBC (Little British Cars like Austin Mini, MG B and Triumphs for their simplicity, so I did chose to build aa bungalow. You've seen my floorpan (which mush remain confidential by the way), I could have saved so much plan if I just stacked it but I have no interest in supervising a story building as it's outside of my scope of confidence. At least for now.

"A man needs to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood.

I like your passion for creativity...we need more people who can actually appreciate building construction you do sir.

I don't really like any title and I' m of the opinion that access to the internet has given us unlimited access to information. you can learn about interior design, specialized softwares, videos of construction by just downloading them online.

I can use so many specialized softwares in structures like sap, orion, RCD by oyenuga etc, architectural softwares like revit architecture by downloading the tutorials online

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:48am On Aug 31, 2015
I copied this picture from YTechConst website

http://www.yemtechconstruction.com/uncategorized/the-making-of-7-bedroom-mansion-in-east-legon-accra-ghana/

Shows some sort of pulley/craning system.

No computer chip, nor engineering degree needed grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 9:31am On Aug 31, 2015
Thank u so much EgunMogaji for inviting me to this school-like thread. Am into modern decorative stamped concrete floor and will like to educate people about stamped concrete. Before you ask me any question please click on the below link and take a look at the picture of my completed jobs.
https://www.nairaland.com/2278774/call-me-increte-decorative-stamped

Humbly waiting to answer your questions
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 31, 2015
nabiz:
Thank u so much EgunMogaji for inviting me to this school-like thread. Am into modern decorative stamped concrete floor and will like to educate people about stamped concrete. Before you ask me any question please click on the below link and take a look at the picture of my completed jobs.
https://www.nairaland.com/2278774/call-me-increte-decorative-stamped

Humbly waiting to answer your questions

Two burning questions in regards to my intended use of sealed uncolored concrete floor throughout the inside of my house:

1) On a german floor, can the floor be made smooth righten or do we have to smooth the floor after the german floor has cured?

2) I haven't seen you do an uncolored concrete floor, can you team do as such for the interior?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:52am On Aug 31, 2015
spyder880:

well said..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 9:57am On Aug 31, 2015
@ Dominionng
Thanks a lot for this.
apart from decorative purpose is there any other reason (supportive/structural) for its use with chandeliers?
Thanks

Dominionng:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 10:17am On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Two burning questions in regards to my intended use of sealed uncolored concrete floor throughout the inside of my house:

1) On a german floor, can the floor be made smooth righten or do we have to smooth the floor after the german floor has cured?

2) I haven't seen you do an uncolored concrete floor, can you team do as such for the interior?
(1) You don't need to smooth the already casted concrete. What we need to do is to add extra four cm like thickness to ur already casted slab, which will depend on how proper u slop and reinforce the already casted german concrete and the general landscape of ur compound.
(2) Yes there ar special once we do for indoor. Would have love to post the pics but lost my phone and the memory card
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 31, 2015
nabiz:
(1) You don't need to smooth the already casted concrete. What we need to do is to add extra four cm like thickness to ur already casted slab, which will depend on how proper u slop and reinforce the already casted german concrete and the general landscape of ur compound.
(2) Yes there ar special once we do for indoor. Would have love to post the pics but lost my phone and the memory card

Interesting. Seems like double work to me.

How about this height, this is like .1 foot, how can this be strong at all and withstand indoor traffic?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 10:53am On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

How about this height, this is like .1 foot, how can this be strong at all and withstand indoor traffic?
LoL. No sir, it is not too much. 4cm in height is on average the height of the fifth and smallest finger of a man.

To be strong, lay iron mesh or 8mm iron rod
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 10:55am On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

LoL. No sir, it is not too much. 4cm in height is on average the height of the fifth and smallest finger of a man.

In order be strong,we lay iron mesh or 8mm iron rod on the floor before pouring the concrete
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 31, 2015
nabiz:

In order be strong,we lay iron mesh or 8mm iron rod on the floor before pouring the concrete

Again Sir, my question is strictly about the interior of the house, not the outside.

So are you really going to use 8mm iron and pouring new concrete inside the house?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:56am On Aug 31, 2015
nabiz:

DO IT YOURSELF.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:59am On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

A term I have now found that escapes most Nigerians and that some, not all for the love of God, Nigerian builders are intimidated by grin
U dey find trouble Ohh,U know, if the ammount you pay to change ur tyre is the amount you earn at work for 2 hours,Im sure loads of people will DIY grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bimsbims1: 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
please help people!! I am looking to do some internal doors for my house and confused between iroko, mahogany or flush doors? Which is which please advice? i want input on price, durability, quality and aesthetics. thanks. all opinions welcome.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nabiz(m): 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Again Sir, my question is strictly about the interior of the house, not the outside.

So are you really going to use 8mm iron and pouring new concrete inside the house?

Oh am very very sorry sir now understand what u need. For interior u don't need any iron at all. U only grind the existing german floor as far as the level of the german floor is ok. But if the german floor is not ok, u still need a light casting on the existing german floor especially as u will add color. To be sincere with u I don't do that type of job because of the cost of the grinding equipment. U can call this number 07057693925 this is the contact of the company that does d job
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:56pm On Aug 31, 2015
nabiz:

Oh am very very sorry sir now understand what u need. For interior u don't need any iron at all. U only grind the existing german floor as far as the level of the german floor is ok. But if the german floor is not ok, u still need a light casting on the existing german floor especially as u will add color. To be sincere with u I don't do that type of job because of the cost of the grinding equipment. U can call this number 07057693925 this is the contact of the company that does d job
where do you get ur cast from? I mean teh dial you use to print those design on the wet concrete?

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dangoteinlaw, bolseas(f) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.