Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (133) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4365952 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'm building in a village with typical Nigerian roads and I hate vehicle break downs grin

Baba stop this coding na....Spend this money. na one life o. instead of that dont you think this will do too ?

A befitting SUV for rough roads and for a masquerade grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:21pm On Feb 04, 2016
Excuzeme:
@Maverick:
I am trying to remain seriously anonymous due to my "exposure"...... most people will like to know who l am in "real life" (I am also curious to know some other people in real life....... like Hajji, Egungun my friend, Spyder, Gabby-Mama, e.t.c but l know thats never gonna happen!

Oga mi. I will love to meet other Nairalanders offline too, though I already met several either offline or in person.
My identity is not a secret to many of them here... but I will keep people identity secret whenever they required me to do so.
If you want to know me, send me an email thru Nairaland email request and I will in turn send you my offline email account.
Too many SPAM for me to put my email address here. Thank you.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:21pm On Feb 04, 2016
3strike:

Baba stop this coding na....Spend this money. na one life o. instead of that dont you think this will do too ?

Seriously though I don't see anything rewarding in that vehicle, nothing.

I'm a classic car autoist. I hate modern cars with a passion.

If you have time, peruse my QuickSilverCars.VillageHeadMaster.Com site to gauge my interests.

If you give me that vehicle you posted, i'll quickly sell it and buy older ones grin

Pictured below are the kinds of cars that I admire.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:24pm On Feb 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Oga mi. I will love to meet other Nairalanders offline too, though I already met several either offline or in person.
My identity is not a secret to many of them here... but I will keep people identity secret whenever they required me to do so.
If you want to know me, send me an email thru Nairaland email request and I will in turn send you my offline email account.
Too many SPAM for me to put my email address here. Thank you.

Hajji M.

My oga you of course know me wella.

Life too short to play 007 to the inner circle grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 04, 2016
3strike:

Do know the true meaning of baba ijebu?

Answer:Baba ijebu is a wo/man that has billions of monies under his/her pillow,but drinks garri three times a day.

Egunmogaji abi I lie?
Egun nor wan those witches and wizards to know how much is his true worth.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 04, 2016
euromilion:

Answer:Baba ijebu is a wo/man that has billions of monies under his/her pillow,but drinks garri three times a day.

Egunmogaji abi I lie?

You guys no go kill pessin with laff for this place grin

My lips are permanently formed to say "Esowo" = there's no money. Even if I whistle it comes out as esowo cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:36pm On Feb 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My oga you of course know me wella.
Life too short to play 007 to the inner circle grin

Of course.

Egungun senu jeje mu Baileys, senu jeje mu non-Alcoholic Hennessy, oko Afusa oni kaba.

Abi wetin remain, abi make I continue your "oriki"... Nah who know you that much?

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by beedam(f): 8:25pm On Feb 04, 2016
euromilion:

Egunmogaji abi I lie?

Lol @ your definition of Baba Ijebu.

Maybe Egunmogaji is from Ijebu sef.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by beedam(f): 8:28pm On Feb 04, 2016
mufutau55:

Of course.

Egungun senu jeje mu Baileys, senu jeje mu non-Alcoholic Hennessy, oko Afusa oni kaba.

Abi wetin remain, abi make I continue your "oriki"... Nah who know you that much?

Hajji M.

I don't think anyone does except you, as you are his best friend. Both offline and online
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 9:12pm On Feb 04, 2016
Anytime Sir..... cheesy cheesy cheesy
crisisng:
Ah OK. then it is mine then. Just checking. Do good job for me oo

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Arnoldfish(m): 9:19pm On Feb 04, 2016
Sir Excuzeme, you are the king.
I will always be loyal to your Govt. thank you so much
Excuzeme:

Below is a 'rough estimate", from a thread which l cant lay my hand on, at the moment.

I also dont know the Multiplying Factor (MF) for Island but its simple to get, if you go to their office to inquire.
A friend told me Mainland is 64, as of last year whenhe went to inquire but it hardly ever change.

So, do the substitution and do the Maths.

Cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 9:30pm On Feb 04, 2016
Arnoldfish:
Sir Excuzeme, you are God is the king.
I will always be loyal to your Govt. thank you so much

Abeg, dont put "sin" on my head o!

Give any and all glory to God almighty.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:41pm On Feb 04, 2016
crisisng:
I will like to see how this goes. Cost wise and final outcome.

Our naija builders in the house. Take note oo. If you don't step up your game and bring your A game to the table your jobs will go to mexicans oo grin grin

Maybe some of Nigerian developers can't really pay much.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Maybe some of Nigerian developers can't really pay much.

Builders should have a basic quality level.

We're not talking about Corian counter tops or Egyptian marble floors.

Just give us razor straight walls, splash free painting on windows, doors, etc doors not opening into doors, squeezing mouse sized restrooms into every nook and corner, properly sloped floors, proper foundations, etc We shouldn't be discussing the properness of Egbosas foundation in Ajjah. The owner shouldn't be asking on a forum if what his builder did is right.

This is not directed at you.

But you do have a point because I think Skimanski can deliver something that I would accept but I can't afford his service so I went with Baba Biliki. The quality of work that Skimanski does should be the standard if we actually had a government inspection agency that took pride in their work.

I went through phases of inspection on some of my builds here with a hired 3rd party Inspector and we're always shocked to see what the mandatory city inspector still sees and ask the builder to correct. I'm talking things that are out by 1/8 of an inch, or wrong wood or something built different from what was approved, something as simple as carving out a closet in a free space.

We should stop blaming the clients and instead focus on an industry standard.

I think.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 10:23pm On Feb 04, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Just give us razor straight walls, splash free painting on windows, doors, etc doors not opening into doors, squeezing mouse sized restrooms into every nook and corner, properly sloped floors, proper foundations, etc We shouldn't be discussing the properness of Egbosas foundation in Ajjah. The owner shouldn't be asking on a forum if what his builder did is right.

But you do have a point because I think Skimanski can deliver something that I would accept but I can't afford his service so I went with Baba Biliki. The quality of work that Skimanski does should be the standard if we actually had a government inspection agency that took pride in their work.

I went through phases of inspection on some of my builds here with a hired 3rd party Inspector and we're always shocked to see what the mandatory city inspector still sees and ask the builder to correct. I'm talking things that are out by 1/8 of an inch, or wrong wood or something built different from what was approved, something as simple as carving out a closet in a free space.

I think.

I am not really blaming the client but I believe all the stake holders have a role to play.

As was stated in your comments, there should be a minimum standard every builders/ architect /engineers etc should achieved in a building construction but the client will need to provide the minimum resources in place.

I believe all building are divided into this two broad category
1 . structural members.
2. Architectural
3. Servicing

1. How do you build a big structure without soil test?
I am sure most clients will not agree to carry out soil test before commencing a big project (one storey duplex and above).

2. How do you build any suspended floor ( one storey and above) without structural analysis and a detailed design of structural members. I am also aware that most client don't really consider that as important.

3.how many client can afford to all hollow sancrete block in a typical building with weak concrete.

4. How many can pay for a leveling operation to be carried out before building construction.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by befto: 10:26pm On Feb 04, 2016
Totally agree

EgunMogaji:

I think.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I am not really blaming the client but I believe all the stake holders have a role to play.

I agree, to an absolute level.

As was stated in your comments, there should be a minimum standard every builders/ architect /engineers etc should achieved in a building construction but the client will need to provide the minimum resources in place.

Yes and the builder needs to be able to say, "no Mr. Client, we charge N500 per square meter in order to provide the exceptional building quality that our company prides itself on".

I believe all building are divided into this two broad category
1 . structural members.
2. Architectural
3. Servicing

1. How do you build a big structure without soil test?

I am sure most clients will not agree to carry out soil test before commencing a big project (one storey duplex and above).

If government agency requires it and every single builder declines to accept jobs unless there's a soil test then you'll see more of that.

2. How do you build any suspended floor ( one storey and above) without structural analysis and a detailed design of structural members. I am also aware that most client don't really consider that as important.

Here's where I digress. I think only an unprofessional builder will put shovel to the ground to build an elevated structure without that in place.

3.how many client can afford to all hollow sancrete block in a typical building with weak concrete.

Again, if that's the basic requirement for a company to guarantee the end result then that is what needs to be done.

4. How many can pay for a leveling operation to be carried out before building construction.

Again, if that's the basic requirement for a company to guarantee the end result then that is what needs to be done. I was going to do just that but the Omo Onile wahala caused me to act much quicker to place a structure than I intended.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 11:31pm On Feb 04, 2016
agarawu23:
good morning egunmogaji and all builders in the house.

Oko Afusa I finally became the owner yesterday o. Tell afusa to cook jollof rice come here, I will pay later cheesy

You know in life, we just need to make good use of opportunities and get things we never expected or planned (if we have the power).

I repeat, God shouldn't make us face financial problem that will make us sell our properties (Amen)

Cc brabus

Congrats bro.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by florest(m): 12:35am On Feb 05, 2016
ikp120:

I get you. But is german floor a must after sand filling foundation?
No,not a must!. once your sand filling is well compacted, and have sank, a good sand screeding will do the job. It will also reduce the Density of iron and granite that bore dawn on your building
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 1:47am On Feb 05, 2016
@ Excuzeme and the whole house,

Thank you all. You are a breath of fresh air in a smog of confusion. As always the Elder really do provide excellent advice as we proceed with this journey we call life. However, I am going to take some time to try and solve this, and I'll put my dreams and wants on the forefront. Don't ask me what they were - you'll soon realize grin

Appreciate all your time and understanding!

Most appreciations goes to numerous callers from the overseas (just can't believe the number) and my biggest Bros Hajji Mufutau55 and EgunMogaji for your time.

You continue to inspire us to do more. Meanwhile, let the learning continue. Agarawu23 is our host for the week.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 2:37am On Feb 05, 2016
Opinion Takers

I want to ditch the tiles. I wanna consider the alternatives (vinyl, laminated floor, carpet tiles, custom rugs, hardwood flooring, hardscape, etc). What are the drawbacks?

Let's discuss!

My Concern: I'm just sick and tired of doing things the conventional way. Why must it be tiles? What happened to paladina, terrazzo, marble flooring? What happened to stone works? Are we so lazy now? Could dearth of skilled professionals be the reason?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:32am On Feb 05, 2016
mufutau55:

Of course.

Hajji M.

lol baileys ati red wine
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:10am On Feb 05, 2016
euromilion:

Egunmogaji abi I lie?
oga no let me use police arrest u with this your definition of baba Ijebu grin

Representing Ijebu but our own dey spend Money like person wey no go wake tomorrow.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:14am On Feb 05, 2016
beedam:

Lol @ your definition of Baba Ijebu.

Maybe Egunmogaji is from Ijebu sef .
you mean say oko afusa na Ijebu man? shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by agarawu23(m): 5:17am On Feb 05, 2016
brabus:
Opinion Takers

I want to ditch the tiles. I wanna consider the alternatives (vinyl, laminated floor, carpet tiles, custom rugs, hardwood flooring, hardscape, etc). What are the drawbacks?

Let's discuss!

My Concern: I'm just sick and tired of doing things the conventional way. Why must it be tiles? What happened to paladina, terrazzo, marble flooring? What happened to stone works? Are we so lazy now? Could dearth of skilled professionals be the reason?
later in the evening, I will show pictures of what I noticed Arabs used in their house and the thickness will shock u cos I never see am for naija before.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 6:08am On Feb 05, 2016
I wanted to build this on a 50 x 50ft but due to cost, decided to build a Bungalow

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 05, 2016
mufutau55:

Of course.

Hajji M.

Now what kind go Egun would I be if I go off and drink all those Oyinbo stuff grin

I always have ogidi emu in the fridge.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:09am On Feb 05, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Now what kind go Egun would I be if I go off and drink all those Oyinbo stuff grin

I always have ogidi emu in the fridge.
How did you get this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 05, 2016
twinskenny:
How did you get this

At the Nigerian grocery store in downtown LA.

In reality theres nothing you can buy at Oja Oba that you can't find here but it will cost you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Excuzeme: 8:46am On Feb 05, 2016
brabus:
@ Excuzeme and the whole house,

Thank you all. You are a breath of fresh air in a smog of confusion. As always the Elder really do provide excellent advice as we proceed with this journey we call life. However, I am going to take some time to try and solve this, and I'll put my dreams and wants on the forefront. Don't ask me what they were - you'll soon realize grin

Appreciate all your time and understanding!

Most appreciations goes to numerous callers from the overseas (just can't believe the number) and my biggest Bros Hajji Mufutau55 and EgunMogaji for your time.

You continue to inspire us to do more. Meanwhile, let the learning continue. Agarawu23 is our host for the week.

@Brabus:

I am with you on anything that brings Peace, Justice and Fair-play to ALL.

Like it is said, you win some, you lose some but the most important thing is to "Learn the Lesson".

We are all "Learners" and we all learn from our mistakes .... but we must man-up and rise above them so that they dont distract us as we move onwards in the journey of life.

Lets put this matter to bed, once and for all ....... NOW.

@Elders in the house, thanks for wading-in. Elders cannot be in a city ....while the new-born suffers malformation of head. undecided

Fingers crossed...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:15am On Feb 05, 2016
Once again, a big thank you to all that have waded in with constructive feedback, to all the elders and the new elderstatesman/woman. I am in for peace, however I do not know if Brabus has good intentions on this matter, I am yet to hear from Brabus nor have seen any alert, at least before I can get an alert he ought to have my account number first. As we can all see, I have offered him an olive branch and have been left hanging in the past.

This matter was brought to him over 3 months ago, I think everyone would agree with me that I have been patient enough.

Excuzeme:

@Brabus:

I am with you on anything that brings Peace, Justice and Fair-play to ALL.

Like it is said, you win some, you lose some but the most important thing is to "Learn the Lesson".

We are all "Learners" and we all learn from our mistakes .... but we must man-up and rise above them so that they dont distract us as we move onwards in the journey of life.

Lets put this matter to bed, once and for all ....... NOW.

@Elders in the house, thanks for wading-in. Elders cannot be in a city ....while the new-born suffers malformation of head. undecided

Fingers crossed...

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:23am On Feb 05, 2016
brabus:
Opinion Takers

Let's discuss!

Two major factors I see are MONEY and TIME.. Aeons ago, Rich men used Terrazo. Now, its only used for govt projects.. Schools, hospitals etc..

Apart from rubber tiles, Terrazzo should be d next cheaper option. Had it done for about 1900 naira for black n white and 2500 for coloured per sqm. Labour n materials inclusive. Obviously stronger than tiles too..

I like hardwood flooring too on suspended floors since it will be free from moisture or frost, termites, as d case may be. Rugs on a staircase is lovely too

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) (136) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Scrap, Boreholedrillin, waley007(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.