Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4353395 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (3657) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 10:14pm On Sep 01, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Teach your kids about guns so they'll respect it.

I want my child, when of age, to be able to shoot and very well.
my dad is a gun enthusiast and thought me how to operate gun at a very young age, funny enough i don't i don't know how to do that now. i would really like to learn how to hunt with guns and those large local species of dogs but I'm too conscious of what people would say.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by podosci(m): 10:43pm On Sep 01, 2015
I am also a gun enthusiast but my enthusiasm is more of military action than hunting.....I have not had the opportunity to service in the military due to the beuracrasy involved in getting into the Nigerian Military.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by podosci(m): 10:54pm On Sep 01, 2015
There is already a cheaper and better material alternative to wood, and that's polysterine material.Its used for partition and non load bearing walls....The polysterine can also be used for rib slab. A company in Abuja is into polysterine production
Another alternative is Bamboo which can be found in abundance in the SW and part of the SE....The is a great material advocate for cheap affordable housing.
Countries around the world evolve to solve their needs based on available resources, Its time Nigeria evolves to solves it's needs based on our most abundant natural elements
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
podosci:
There is already a cheaper and better material alternative to wood, and that's polysterine material.Its used for partition and non load bearing walls....The polysterine can also be used for rib slab. A company in Abuja is into polysterine production
Another alternative is Bamboo which can be found in abundance in the SW and part of the SE....The is a great material advocate for cheap affordable housing.
Countries around the world evolve to solve their needs based on available resources, Its time Nigeria evolves to solves it's needs based on our most abundant natural elements

I don't really like a wall plastered with sand and cement. An interior wall done with dry-wall/sheet-rock/cement board look a lot better than a cement plastered wall. I need another option to metal-framed partitioning. Why not treated wood partitioning as against metal partitioning? Like in the U.S, no one uses metal to partition interior walls except in an industrial buildings. We use treated wood here and they can last more than 100 years.

I am looking at this options below:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 11:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
Treated wood partitioning as against metal partitioning.

I didn't see any piping for electrical wiring. The electric wires were passed through the drilled woods.

Dominionng should look into this possibility.

cc: Dominionng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by podosci(m): 11:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
What about holow blocks... this equipment seems suited for solid blocks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Danileinado(m): 12:02am On Sep 02, 2015
Pls, what is the total cost of building a complete 3 flats bungalow: one 4-br flat at front then d remainin two 2-br flat at d back?...i wuld be glad if i cn also get d estimate...thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:08am On Sep 02, 2015
Okay so I've built using wood, not metal studs. You only need treated wood for ground contact and they are more expensive.

No proof but I think if there're no insulations in the steel framed walls then they'll resonate.

I'm going to cut and plane Nigerian wood into 2x4 when I do my theatre room.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by palserltd: 12:25am On Sep 02, 2015
For your Aluminium & Glass systems (windows, doors, roofing, shower stalls, partitions, etc.) see our profile here https://www.nairaland.com/2547536/aluminium-glass-systems-windows-doors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:20am On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

I am looking at this options below:

Too much insulation with those materials, not good for Naija weather in my opinion.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 1:32am On Sep 02, 2015
mufutau55:

Too much insulation with those materials, not good for Naija weather in my opinion.

Hajji M.

No insulations needed in Nigeria just like in Arizona or Nevada.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 1:37am On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

Yea, I agree! Though it doesn't serve any acoustical purpose, wood framing is meant to be a cheaper alternative for partitioning. Availability down here is another ball game! For it seems getting a straight wood here is like searching for a honest politician! Cc HslBroker

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 1:58am On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

I didn't see any piping for electrical wiring. The electric wires were passed through the drilled woods.

cc: Dominionng

This na moimoi! 99% of the partitions in Silverbird Mall and The Palms Mall and most most malls in Nigeria are constructed this way. The space are usually open floor plan and the partitions are constructed using plasterboard. All wires are passed through cable tray in the ceiling, well labelled and colour coded. I still saw one of the guys handling the maintenance and installations yesterday.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 2:12am On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

This na moimoi! 99% of the partitions in Silverbird Mall and The Palms Mall and most most malls in Nigeria are constructed this way. The space are usually open floor plan and the partitions are constructed using plasterboard. All wires are passed through cable tray in the ceiling, well labelled and colour coded. I still saw one of the guys handling the maintenance and installations yesterday.

I believe he meant the framework not the cladding material.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:14am On Sep 02, 2015
Dominionng:

Yea, I agree! Though it doesn't serve any acoustical purpose, wood framing is meant to be a cheaper alternative for partitioning. Availability down here is another ball game! For it seems getting a straight wood here is like searching for a honest politician! Cc HslBroker

We need to get out act together in Nigeria. Why should getting straight wood be a problem? I could get 200 straight wood out of Home Depot or Lowes on daily basis without a problem.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 2:16am On Sep 02, 2015
Dominionng:

I believe he meant the framework not the cladding material.

Treated woods right? Haa! Passing a camel through needle eye is easier than this. Sorry I just jumped on the thread.

Though, there are wood processing factories in ondo where you can get those straight wood but most of the places I know, they export their woods.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:18am On Sep 02, 2015
FastShipping:

No insulations needed in Nigeria just like in Arizona or Nevada.

I mean those foamy stuffs being installed on the exterior wall... that foam is like insulation, No?
I prefer those small exterior bricks that needs no painting.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 2:28am On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

Though, there are wood processing factories in ondo where you can get those straight wood.

Oh! Really? That's a new one. Please do help with the ad, link or any additional info so as to check them out this morning. I'm presently in Ondo. Thanks..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 02, 2015
Hajji and FastShipping I'm surprised that you both are saying that insulation is not needed in Nigeria.

Please do some or more research on why you insulate.

My houses in Texas and California are all insulated, heavily, and for good reasons.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:30am On Sep 02, 2015
Dominionng:

Oh! Really? That's a new one. Please do help with the ad, link or any additional info so as to check them out this morning. I'm presently in Ondo. Thanks..

The power of the Internet strikes again.

Please share any and all information you get.

I'm seating at the edge of my seat with bated breadth in wild anticipation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:43am On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Hajji and FastShipping I'm surprised that you both are saying that insulation is not needed in Nigeria.
Please do some or more research on why you insulate.
My houses in Texas and California are all insulated, heavily, and for good reasons.

I know well why houses are insulated. But I will not insulate my house in Nigeria... because I won't be leaving my AC on 24/7.
I am sure you have central AC in your house in Texas and Calif.

http://www.naima.org/insulation-knowledge-base/residential-home-insulation/reasons-to-insulate-your-home.html

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:14am On Sep 02, 2015
mufutau55:

I know well why houses are insulated. But I will not insulate my house in Nigeria... because I won't be leaving my AC on 24/7.
I am sure you have central AC in your house in Texas and Calif.

http://www.naima.org/insulation-knowledge-base/residential-home-insulation/reasons-to-insulate-your-home.html

Hajji M.

Okay, we'll agree to disagree then.

My house in Texas was modern custom built so yes it had 3 A/C systems but I visited many homes of friends and coworkers with no HVAC systems.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 5:31am On Sep 02, 2015
podosci:
call me when you know a company making a cheaper and better alternative to roofing timber.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:34am On Sep 02, 2015
segzy14:

my oga don enter acoustic.

Oga Segzy..

Lool.. Na my elementary physics still dey ring for my head..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:39am On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

Treated woods right? Haa! Passing a camel through needle eye is easier than this. Sorry I just jumped on the thread.

Though, there are wood processing factories in ondo where you can get those straight wood but most of the places I know, they export their woods.

Hmm Straight Wood Wahala. I taught I was the Only one having sleepless Night Over this Issue. Its my everyday Prayer Point. Infact Look and the Possibility of Importing a Machine that will be solving that Problem for me.

Had to do a Living room Design for a Client Of recent and my carpenter guy traveled the whole town looking for Straight wood, which he eventually had to go machine it himself to ensure the accurate Straightness.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:41am On Sep 02, 2015
The idea is that if these woods used for the FRame works of the Designs aren't Straight, then our Ply-board and finished Product will look terrible and hence defeat the Idea of the Design

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:14am On Sep 02, 2015
Dominionng:

Bros, did you say link? No o but I'll try get the details of the contact and post it here.

Oga Skimanski,
They normally air-dry the woods for several weeks before selling/using them. Apart from that, I've seen some 18ft logs that are very straight in ondo and Benin. I didn't take cognizance of this at all. I would have kept a very good record of their contact.

Sometimes in 2013, I posted this pic below from a project I did in diamond estate, sangotedo. The woods are cedar and they were air-dried (according the installer) in Mushin.

Give me some time to get the contact details.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:56am On Sep 02, 2015
brabus:

Bros, did you say link? No o but I'll try get the details of the contact and post it here.

Oga Skimanski,
They normally air-dry the woods for several weeks before selling/using them. Apart from that, I've seen some 18ft logs that are very straight in ondo and Benin. I didn't take cognizance of this at all. I would have keep a very good record of their contact.

Sometimes in 2013, I posted this pic below from a project I did in diamond estate, sangotedo. The woods are cedar and they were air-dried (according the installer) in Mushin.

Give me some time to get the contact details.

I would really appreciate That a Lot. I need their contact this period Got a lot of Interior Design works coming Up
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:47am On Sep 02, 2015
skimanski:

I would really appreciate That a Lot. I need their contact this period Got a lot of Interior Design works coming Up

Bros, haven't you considered using pallet case? I'll suggest them to you since you're not a heavy user of seasoned woods. When I have small project like a small backyard deck, thats what I use.

They come in different sizes and will sufficiently meet your need. There's a very big market for it in Amu. You can also get from Apapa Wharf area.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 1:16pm On Sep 02, 2015
Talking pallet case architecture...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 1:23pm On Sep 02, 2015
Unless it is wet areas or areas with high traffic, I personally won't use tiles for any of my project.

Reasons:

1. Expensive
2. Boring when overly used in a project.
3. Just don't like it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:36pm On Sep 02, 2015
I nor fit use wood ooh.these termites in my village dem harsh and dem no dey hear word. grin grin.if dem give them chance dem go chew 16mm rebar lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (3657) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Smattad, doncafu(m), akeme1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.