Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,491 members, 7,801,263 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:04 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4349443 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (3655) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2015
abouzaid:
concrete is largely fire proof, a normal fire could easily be put out with fire a extinguisher from the kitchen store while a Fulani setting the house on fire(it's actually their favourite strategy) won't be too effective since the whole room is encapsulated in concrete with the roof been a six inches thick reinforced concrete slab. you need to understand that in Nigeria we don't design those things because of fire or tornados/hurricanes rather i want to develop the expertise in it due to the security challenges in this country especially here in the north.

Just to add an idea here, how about adding an escalator fan or two, probably battery powered from inside to help keep the safe room airy in case of a long siege?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:14pm On Sep 02, 2015
spyder880:

grin grin grin grin
Oga spider no laff of, these guys nearly chop my Timberland Ohh grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2015
spyder880:

Just to add an idea here, how about adding an escalator fan or two, probably battery powered from inside to help keep the safe room airy in case of a long siege?

Where is the air coming from?

Can the intake be sprayed with pepper spray?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I think one can conceal it,ie on top of the house or at the edge of the roof frame

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 02, 2015
erico2k2:

I think one can conceal it,ie on top of the house or at the edge of the roof frame

Excellent choice and I'll be having eaves vents installed. I don't see them used much.

I'll also be having auto spray masks inside the safe room.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:46pm On Sep 02, 2015
EgunMogaji:

erico2k2:

Yes, arrange to fit it up on the ceiling since the parapet prevents entry.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 12:08am On Sep 03, 2015
spyder880:

how can this be done in Nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 12:18am On Sep 03, 2015
abouzaid:
how can this be done in Nigeria?

I know an extractor fan they use in mostly stuffy rooms, or in industrial locations to drive away foul air, this could be inverted to provide ventilation, converted electrically to be powered from the inside of a safe room by battery.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 12:19am On Sep 03, 2015
spyder880:

I know an extractor fan they use in mostly stuffy rooms, or in industrial locations to drive away foul air, this could be inverted to provide ventilation, converted electrically to be powered from the inside of a safe room by battery.
I'll contact you later, thanks a million.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnetimeOnly: 4:54am On Sep 03, 2015
erico2k2:

Ok let's discus insulation. To insulate is to protect.in the case of building this applies to just to gain heat or reduce heat loss.we won't need that in Nigeria.cos we do not heat our houses. We only try to make our houses cooler.heat do not need any sort of circulation while cooling does.as regards to aircon.so basically all that is needed in the Nigerian home is good ventilation.

Insulation of some forms is needed in all climes

We actually need to insulate buildings in Nigeria so that heat does not get into the building during the day when it is hot outside. Insulation also makes the air conditioner not have to work more to make the internal temperature cooler because the temperature difference is less.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnetimeOnly: 5:47am On Sep 03, 2015
I really like this thread and i wanted to share some educational information on some work i did for a client.

The client wanted the same high pitch roof that is popular right now, and so i did some cost calculation to convince him otherwise.

The only reason to use such high pitch roof is for usually for insulation, attic space and snow loads so that the snow falls off quickly. High pitched roofs also spreads the weight of the snow. Even in dry areas like Arizona and Texas, at least the roof is used as an attic or storage space. We do not need that.if the snow does not fall off quickly, it puts extra weight on the roof causing collapse.even worse,it can turn to ice and cause the roof to collapse.

I had to make a case that if the high pitch roof is to make the house appear larger, that is a separate case, then we could talk about wood attic with extra storage room or even extra bedroom.

long story short i used these diagrams to make my case.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 5:51am On Sep 03, 2015
^^^
Nice illustration
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 03, 2015
OnetimeOnly:

Insulation of some forms is needed in all climes

We actually need to insulate buildings in Nigeria so that heat does not get into the building during the day when it is hot outside. Insulation also makes the air conditioner not have to work more to make the internal temperature cooler because the temperature difference is less.

You are absolutely right and it's what I've been trying to explain to my esteemed colleagues here.

The argument is that you won't be running ac in Nigeria but with a well designed building that has good ventilation from the start and not an afterthought and trees in front of windows that are sun facing then the house should be cool naturally.

Now if I can just get some heat reflecting paint for exterior walls grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 03, 2015
OnetimeOnly:
I really like this thread and i wanted to share some educational information on some work i did for a client.

The client wanted the same high pitch roof that is popular right now, and so i did some cost calculation to convince him otherwise.

The only reason to use such high pitch roof is for usually for insulation, attic space and snow loads so that the snow falls off quickly. High pitched roofs also spreads the weight of the snow. Even in dry areas like Arizona and Texas, at least the roof is used as an attic or storage space. We do not need that.if the snow does not fall off quickly, it puts extra weight on the roof causing collapse.even worse,it can turn to ice and cause the roof to collapse.

I had to make a case that if the high pitch roof is to make the house appear larger, that is a separate case, then we could talk about wood attic with extra storage room or even extra bedroom.

long story short i used these diagrams to make my case.

One of the constrains that I gave my Architect was no high pitched roofs, no roman pillars and arches. Oh yeah also no ensuite galore grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:40am On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

One of the constrains that I gave my Architect was no high pitched roofs, no roman pillars and arches. Oh yeah also no ensuite galore grin

The ensuite and ante room madness though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 6:50am On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Unless otherwise necessary. ..d span actually determined the height.
In modern Architecture ante room is actually functional
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:55am On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Serving what purpose if I may ask?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Unless otherwise necessary. ..d span actually determined the height.

Well..I guess we can file semi flat roofs under necessary regardless of span.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:21am On Sep 03, 2015
Our architectural designs in naija is such a sham. Theres no interplay between the outdoor and indoor living spaces. We need to start designing structures with patios, gardens, natural platforms, decks, pools, turfs and hardscapes.

I grew up in hilltop residential estates and I would say "outdoor spaces" is more important to me. I want to have a place to sit in the sun and sip my morning coffee. I'm not prepared to do so at my kitchen table every morning. Maybe if I'm still renting I would. But definitely not when I build a multi-million naira house.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:28am On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:
Our architectural designs in naija is such a sham. Theres no interplay between the outdoor and indoor living spaces. We need to start designing structures with patios, gardens, natural platforms, decks, pools, turfs and hardscapes.

I grew up in hilltop residential estates and I would say "outdoor spaces" is more important to me. I want to have a place to sit in the sun and sip my morning coffee. I'm not prepared to do so at my kitchen table every morning. Maybe if I'm still renting I would. But definitely not when I build a multi-million naira house.

Outdoor space is cool, however, there are many times I can stay in my ante room and read or browse without being forced to sit at the dining table, especially at night. I will love to be close to my kids while they watch telly in the main lounge, overhearing their chatter from the ante room is better for me that climbing to the first floor private lounge.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 03, 2015
This is one of the material I used in selecting my plan.

It's basically a study that shows where families spent the most time in a house. They did the study in a 1,000 square foot house but estimated that the family only used 400 square feet on a consistent basis.

[img]http://www.lifeedited.com/wp-content/themes/artisan/img_resize/timthumb.php?src=http://www.lifeedited.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Life-at-home-in-21st-century.jpg&w=583&zc=1[/img]

http://www.lifeedited.com/residential-behavioral-architecture-101/

"The activity on this floor, which measures around roughly 1000 sq ft, is concentrated almost exclusively in three rooms: The dining, kitchen and family rooms; the latter room’s activity focused around the TV and computer. We estimate that around 400 or so square feet of those 1000 are actually used with any regularity."
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 03, 2015
A question for Nairalands Architects and builders.

“How would you design a home if based on your behavior, not architectural convention…for singles, couples, families, etc.?”
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 9:03am On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

And thanks to @egunmogaji I now abhor the idea of having an all room en-suite house... I really saw reason after working on his designs... I now advice my clients to either opt for the jack and Jill system.. or bathroom space sharing where only both rooms can have access to the bath/toilet from the inside...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 03, 2015
darenyx:

And thanks to @egunmogaji I now abhor the idea of having an all room en-suite house... I really saw reason after working on his designs... I now advice my clients to either opt for the jack and Jill system.. or bathroom space sharing where only both rooms can have access to the bath/toilet from the inside...

Thanks Dude.

I too learned from you. Despite the fact that I was adamant that the courtyard was enough space but I now realize the value of a kitchen patio from a Nigerian cooking perspective.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 03, 2015
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PropTrader: 9:35am On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

The ensuite and ante room madness though.

The ensuite rooms i can understand, although having this now means you have to also have a separate visitors toilet. Its the ante room and high roof that completely befuddles me. undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PropTrader: 9:38am On Sep 03, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I can't stop laughing...i feel you about the roman pillars and arches. grin. it drives me nuts sometimes.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 10:31am On Sep 03, 2015
brabus:

Serving what purpose if I may ask?
Oga. U are the least person I am expecting this question fromangry
In Morden duplex, Just a definate answer we suffice.
Do you expect every visitors to ve direct answer to ur living room? .I think ur personal project is a duplex.

If I can count at least I ve built and design nothing less than 15 duplex in the course of my practices. Besides, we are not responsible for all the design.

Non without an ante room!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:45am On Sep 03, 2015
segcymoor:

Oga. U are the least person I am expecting this question fromangry
In Morden duplex, Just a definate answer we suffice.
Do you expect every visitors to ve direct answer to ur living room? .I think ur personal project is a duplex.

If I can count at least I ve built and design nothing less than 15 duplex in the course of my practices. Besides, we are not responsible for all the design.

Non without an ante room!
But I think houses are built to requirement from my personal point of view I think the room a visitor will sit down in my house will be the living room.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 10:56am On Sep 03, 2015
erico2k2:

But I think houses are built to requirement from my personal point of view I think the room a visitor will sit down in my house will be the living room.
Absolutely! D word ante here literally means before. A small space or lobby is required before the main living room.

It's the beauty of Architecture! It wouldn't ve being introduced in the world of Architecture if not necessarily in the first place
However, one may decided to skip it in his personal project . After all, it's not structural affected. But the fact remains that it does makes sense!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TLAX: 11:11am On Sep 03, 2015
Some ante rooms I see are after thoughts.....when design creativity is absent and you don't know what to do with that extra space...either because you are already set on how other rooms in the house should be and their respective locations.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hcsproperties: 11:22am On Sep 03, 2015
Are you looking for house in Lagos?
To BUY or RENT?
We have Flats/duplexes at these locations :
- V. Island
- Lekki
- Magodo
-Anthony
- Festac
- Maryland
-Ikeja and more
Contact us today for a Convenient, Affordable apartment.
Call: 08172045475 – Mr. Wright 08172042898 – Mr Kosile
HCS GLOBAL PROPERTIES [http://facebook.com/hcsproperties ?]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (3655) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.