Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4365159 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 4nobody4every1: 5:59pm On Apr 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Who knew?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2290166/Hong-Kongs-ultra-modern-skyscrapers-built-scaffolding-BAMBOO.html

Learnt something new today.
This is scary, how do they go about this with such a height shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:19pm On Apr 25, 2016
Empiree:
Na so my bruv. We asked him this time "can you do it or not?". He said "I need to remind you again that your docs are saved. Your father worked hard on your docs".

That Lawyer is probably scared of the Papa juju or something.. Just go get the papers already...

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:55pm On Apr 25, 2016
mufutau55:

That Lawyer probably scared of the Papa juju or something.. Just go get the papers already...

Hajji M.
We told him to get a deputy along with him this week. If however we notice sign of cowardice, we will employe Donald Trump and Vince McMahon to fire him. We will get aggressive one. See, if my friend was in nija, i am sure he will recover his docs forcefully one time. He would have employed godogodo and papa would have been submissive sharp sharp

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Miscellaneous(m): 8:00pm On Apr 25, 2016
I have come to realize that one major problem facing the engineering profession is the lack of political will of the engineers. We are non challant in matters of politics. In a sane country, how can a lawyer be minister of works? how can political science or whatever be minister of transportation? it sucks..... the profession has been bastadardized by quacks...it's getting worse everyday. Go to other professional course like medicine... they are well organized. they can go on strike... can engineers do that ? why? they have their fixed pay when they get employed but for engineers it is a different ball game. Until we stand to make the wrongs right, the wrongs will remain wrongs & they will hunt down our future & our future engineers will always suffer... there need to be a rude awakening. ….

those in high places tell your friends to tell his friends that they should tell their friends that the engineering profession should be respected.... & they should appoint engineers in their rightful offices. But are the engineers in politics? chai !!!! shame on me! It has been a waste of time.....

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 9:53pm On Apr 25, 2016
Miscellaneous:
I have come to realize that one major problem facing the engineering profession is the lack of political will of the engineers. We are non challant in matters of politics. In a sane country, how can a lawyer be minister of works? how can political science or whatever be minister of transportation? it sucks..... the profession has been bastadardized by quacks...it's getting worse everyday. Go to other professional course like medicine... they are well organized. they can go on strike... can engineers do that ? why? they have their fixed pay when they get employed but for engineers it is a different ball game. Until we stand to make the wrongs right, the wrongs will remain wrongs & they will hunt down our future & our future engineers will always suffer... there need to be a rude awakening. ….

those in high places tell your friends to tell his friends that they should tell their friends that the engineering profession should be respected.... & they should appoint engineers in their rightful offices. But are the engineers in politics? chai !!!! shame on me! It has been a waste of time.....

I disagree with you sir.
Minister of power can be a lawyer if he has the management skill to run the ministry, you don't have to be an engineer to run a ministry.

Engineers should be in consultancy office and research Institute solving problem and getting solutions to our problem. People don't ask for respect they earn it.

We have bad roads, we lack pipe borne water, bad housing etc, how many products have we created to solve this problem? How many solutions have Nigerian engineers find solutions to?

A south Africa company developed hydraform as an alternative building materials, they developed stabilized clay brick and so many other cost effective means of making life easier for people, how many of such inventions have we done here.

Chinese engineers are researching everyday to developed new products, all we do is demand for more political participations without solving any problems.

Nigerian engineers should go back to the rudimentaries, they should go an learn how to impact positively to the society

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:25am On Apr 26, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I disagree with you sir.
Minister of power can be a lawyer if he has the management skill to run the ministry, you don't have to be an engineer to run a ministry.

Engineers should be in consultancy office and research Institute solving problem and getting solutions to our problem. People don't ask for respect they earn it.

We have bad roads, we lack pipe borne water, bad housing etc, how many products have we created to solve this problem? How many solutions have Nigerian engineers find solutions to?

A south Africa company developed hydraform as an alternative building materials, they developed stabilized clay brick and so many other cost effective means of making life easier for people, how many of such inventions have we done here.

Chinese engineers are researching everyday to developed new products, all we do is demand for more political participations without solving any problems.

Nigerian engineers should go back to the rudimentaries, they should go an learn how to impact positively to the society

You're both right to some extent.

The ministerial position is largely ceremonial. The daily grunt work is handled by senior staff.

Those senior staff/leads should have strong experience in the ministry type.

Obama didn't have experience as a President after all and when asked the key to his success he credits the smarter than him people that he has with him.

The sum is part of the whole.

Nigerias problem is foresight and continuity.

When Fashola exits, the new minister will dismantle the policies and start fresh and we would have lost 4 to 8 years of planning.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:12am On Apr 26, 2016
kopell:
The age is not to young to own a house. Anyone can do the same, if our young onces can focus stop spending there money on drinks and woman.

Definitely not too young. By 26, "yours truly" has completed a block of 6 flats of 2 bedrooms cheesy cheesy

Used to feel shy when people shower multiple greetings each time I visit the place so I stopped going there and allowed others collect my rent for me.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:24am On Apr 26, 2016
abdulwastecx:

I disagree with you sir.

Good points, I remember the fights we had in my former company where position was the only things we fought for, while the job suffered. The real engineers were not even the ones that provided the solutions, they fight to sit on top, then push the technicians to complete complex tasks. So many people think that being an engineer confers on them the right to stay clean, while others do the tough work.

But I believe engineering will assume it's rightful position if the practitioners solve more engineering problems of the society. A lot of attention should also be given to engineering education, with a view to turning out more quality graduates.

Practical work should form the bulk of engineering education. On site tours and hands-on training should take more time than classroom theories which should be reduced after the second year.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 1:54pm On Apr 26, 2016
Perils of a polygamous home. Personal experience with my dad. He died in hospital and those who knew first, came home and without telling anyone at home that he has gone, no remorse, no distraught went into his room got what they were looking for, took it to their house before coming back to tell other wives and children that he is gone.

If just for this kind of scenario, your friend should have his docs with him.

Empiree:
Na so my bruv. We asked him this time "can you do it or not?". He said "I need to remind you again that your docs are saved. Your father worked hard on your docs".

Friend said that's understandable and that's why I credited 100k into his account few days before you went to him for job well done but my docs are saver with me. Now can you do it or not? " {papa didn't disclose100k egunje to nobody} grin grin

He said " certainly, your docs are saver with you and will get it done but I don't want you to get it with fight".

Friend said "leave that for later. ..we will fight now to set things straight and reconcile later".

Now his mom, sisters and brothers who against attny initially now support the move. His docs cant be save knowing that only pop and his last wife live together and she knows everything about him including the man's Will. So this week, we want to see another drama.

This is where western countries beat silly cultures in Africa.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by osarodon(m): 2:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
KolaShangOne:

The thickness of all the items depend on the thickness you bought from the factory. Commonly used thickness for residentials are 0.45mm (for bungalows) and 0.55mm (storey buildings). We also have 0.7mm for factories.

1) cladding is done on the facial board of the house. Usually 225mm breadth.
2) ceiling cladding sheet. I refer to this as external ceiling. It is the space between your external block work and roof. Usually 500mm breadth.
3) eaves angle. flat sheet. Cut and bent.
Used to tape the out-shoot of the Aluminium from the roof. To make it look neater.4-6inches
4) ridge angle. Ridge cap is the name. Used to cover where Aluminium sheets meet. Pic attached. Usually 24inches
5) Gutter trimming: Used to cover the top of the gutter. Flat sheet cut to size.2-3inches

Thanks for your response and I didn't see the pix attachment as there was no attachment.
I will appreciate if you can reattach it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:25pm On Apr 26, 2016
gabbytabby:
Perils of a polygamous home. Personal experience with my dad. He died in hospital and those who knew first, came home and without telling anyone at home that he has gone, no remorse, no distraught went into his room got what they were looking for, took it to their house before coming back to tell other wives and children that he is gone.

If just for this kind of scenario, your friend should have his docs with him.

Wow. You see, this is not even polygamous issue. It is this man that makes it sounds or looks like that. All his children get along very well. However papa doesnt want that. He wants them to fight each other in order to maintain control over them. At some point it worked well for him but now they all are aware of his petty antics. Matter of fact, my friend's younger brother who is giving him infos and helping him with other stuff are not even same mother. Because of that, papa thought my friend doesn't talk to them that's why he reveals lots and lots of things to lil brother and he relays everything back to my friend. Silly world.

Now his contemporary just passed away yesterday. A very close friend of his about same age. We are waiting to see if he learns from that. God forbids, if he pass just now, the only threat is his last wife that lives with him. His brothers will conveniently get the docs and hand it over but his wife will not. Poly homes arent that bad if head of the household is upright.

Well, he called papa this morning to let him know lawyer is coming back to get the docs. He said "I did give him the docs but he returned it to me". That's lawyer's professional negligence right there. He shouldn't have done that. Now tomorrow is another showdown.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:04pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empiree:
Wow. You see, this is not even polygamous issue. It is this man that makes it sounds or looks like that. All his children get along very well. However papa doesnt want that. He wants them to fight each other in order to maintain control over them. At some point it worked well for him but now they all are aware of his petty antics. Matter of fact, my friend's younger brother who is giving him infos and helping him with other stuff are not even same mother. Because of that, papa thought my friend doesn't talk to them that's why he reveals lots and lots of things to lil brother and he relays everything back to my friend. Silly world.

Now his contemporary just passed away yesterday. A very close friend of his about same age. We are waiting to see if he learns from that. God forbids, if he pass just now, the only threat is his last wife that lives with him. His brothers will conveniently get the docs and hand it over but his wife will not. Poly homes arent that bad if head of the household is upright.

Well, he called papa this morning to let him know lawyer is coming back to get the docs. He said "I did give him the docs but he returned it to me". That's lawyer's professional negligence right there. He shouldn't have done that. Now tomorrow is another showdown.
hun this na serous matter Oooo, papa with him son.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:11pm On Apr 28, 2016
Thanks Guys. We Got The Docs Back. The whole package called "Homeowner's Charter". But C/o not therein. Said it still in process. Takes that long to obtain in Ogun State?. I think it's been submitted since 2012/13. What could be the delays?.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:42pm On Apr 28, 2016
Empiree:
Thanks Guys. We Got The Docs Back. The whole package called "Homeowner's Charter". But C/o not therein. Said it still in process. Takes that long to obtain in Ogun State?. I think it's been submitted since 2012/13. What could be the delays?.

Docs with no CofO = battle won but war is still on.

Lawyer needs to verify that CofO is 1) In process and 2) In whose name.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 5:49pm On Apr 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Docs with no CofO = battle won but war is still on.

Lawyer needs to verify that CofO is 1) In process and 2) In whose name.
Everything in the package is in his name (pix sent to us). But I dont think c/o is out yet sincerely.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 28, 2016
Empiree:
Everything in the package is in his name (pix sent to us). But I dont think c/o is out yet sincerely.

There were some posts on here previously that were lamenting about the slow pace of Ogun state CofO, so you may be right.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:18pm On Apr 28, 2016
Empiree:

I was one of the first batch to file for the "Homeowner's Charter" procedures too... until now, no response. I have paid all the money requested.
God help us in Naija o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:32pm On Apr 28, 2016
mufutau55:

I was one of the first batch to file for the "Homeowner's Charter" procedures too... until now, no response. I have paid all the money requested.
God help us in Naija o.

Hajji M.
I am just talking to same lawyer now. He said the necessary things for homeowners are:

*Deed Of Assignment

*Survey plan approval

*Building plan approval

He said if you submit application of Cof O you have to follow up. He said however that we should not waste money on it cus Ogun state currently reluctant to grant c of o. He said what do you need it for. Save your money.

But these 3 things are included in Homeowner's charter. My friend has them all
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:36pm On Apr 28, 2016
EgunMogaji:

There were some posts on here previously that were lamenting about the slow pace of Ogun state CofO, so you may be right.
That's messed up. If C of O is not that important i wont bother with it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:48pm On Apr 28, 2016
I encourage anybody Abuja is the cheap place to build, materials are cheap for Carcass the choice of your finishing determine your final cost..

A room self(one room, toilet, kitchenette) goes for N400k on a service apartment. Quite alarming
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Justbusiness: 9:14pm On Apr 28, 2016
Chekitaut:
I encourage anybody Abuja is the cheap place to build, materials are cheap for Carcass the choice of your finishing determine your final cost..

A room self(one room, toilet, kitchenette) goes for N400k on a service apartment. Quite alarming

please tell us more and how can one get a very good land?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:29pm On Apr 28, 2016
Am guessing that you mean building up till say just before roofing is cheap, but once you do roofing and finishing, is it safe to say that its almost on par with Lagos ?

Chekitaut:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
Empiree:
I am just talking to same lawyer now. He said the necessary things for homeowners are:
*Deed Of Assignment
*Survey plan approval
*Building plan approval
He said if you submit application of Cof O you have to follow up. He said however that we should not waste money on it cus Ogun state currently reluctant to grant c of o. He said what do you need it for. Save your money.
But these 3 things are included in Homeowner's charter. My friend has them all

The Lawyer is right. But it's good for those who do not have those 3 others documents.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:43pm On Apr 28, 2016
In Lagos you cant get building plan approval without consent or C of O. what does one do
mufutau55:

The Lawyer is right. But it's good for those who do not have those 3 others documents.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 11:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
mavverick:
In Lagos you cant get building plan approval without consent or C of O. what does one do
That's messy and complicated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:54pm On Apr 28, 2016
mavverick:

More reason I ran away from Lagos. It's for the tough people. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:59am On Apr 29, 2016
Justbusiness:

please tell us more and how can one get a very good land?
I was call by a client I gez he is a guest on nairaland his site ia at Mabushi, hectares of land. My part is Granite only after awhile on site I told him I will deliver Sharp Sand and Cement he accept to issue them to me. Perhaps on Land I cant say much on it but buying land at FCT you can buy from two sources Government and owners(first buyer). No trace of land grabbers(Omonile) in the town.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 1:08am On Apr 29, 2016
mavverick:
Am guessing that you mean building up till say just before roofing is cheap, but once you do roofing and finishing, is it safe to say that its almost on par with Lagos ?

Most foubdation in Abuja are PAD foundation which is cheap, Cement at present is 1400 to site, iron rod is 90k - 115k/ton, granite 30tons from 90k - 110k, sharp sand 30tons is 70k- 80k, stone dust is most expensive reason is that is the specification for producing vibrated blocks at that 9" is 160 & 6" is 150.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:28am On Apr 29, 2016
Chekitaut:
I was call by a client I gez he is a guest on nairaland his site ia at Mabushi, hectares of land. My part is Granite only after awhile on site I told him I will deliver Sharp Sand and Cement he accept to issue them to me. Perhaps on Land I cant say much on it but buying land at FCT you can buy from two sources Government and owners(first buyer). No trace of land grabbers(Omonile) in the town.

Omonile no dey abuja at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:07am On Apr 29, 2016
Chekitaut:
Most foubdation in Abuja are PAD foundation which is cheap, Cement at present is 1400 to site, iron rod is 90k - 115k/ton, granite 30tons from 90k - 110k, sharp sand 30tons is 70k- 80k, stone dust is most expensive reason is that is the specification for producing vibrated blocks at that 9" is 160 & 6" is 150.

You can say most foundation are pad but generalizing all foundation to be pad is not true.. .. In the same contest most foundation in Nigeria are pad (about 90%).

The choice of foundation in abuja also depend on the soil properties and the loading intensity of the building (soil test is compulsory for approval of building plan in abuja).

30 tons of gravel is N75,000 ( the last time I bought it)
30 tons of river sand is N35, 000 - N40,000
30 tons of stone dust is N60,0000
Vibrated block prices vary from N150 - N250 depending on the strength of the block
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:12am On Apr 29, 2016
mavverick:

It depend on the part of Abuja he is talking about
In the satellite town like gwagwalada, kubwa etc or outskirts (marababa or suleja) it is cheaper to build a house you to carcass but inside the city you pay a lot of money to fcda people at every stage of the work.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:37am On Apr 29, 2016
Empiree:

I will ask, where is the land agreement deed?

If you have the original land agreement in he guys name, and homeowners charter in his name, it will be difficult for the dad to do the C of O in his (dads) name as we fear. There must be a change from the son to the father before the dad can have the C of O in his name if he so plan. Anything asides this will not stand in a court of law.

But then, this is Nigeria where everything is possible, including a parcel of land standing up and walking away to another location grin

Let the lawyer chase the trail of the C of O.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (203) (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.