Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,441 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4364076 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (3661) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 8:34am On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
In details kolnel, how can we achieve that?

Just like brabus mentioned
Open up gulleys round the house to keep the water away
Palliative measure tho
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 8:42am On May 04, 2016
Ok, can you show a picture? Let me see from an example. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:46am On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
This how is set for demolition. Can someone dictate the error and how it can be corrected?

Front beam level in same level as rest of the lintels, makes it so low for a front porch. They should have set that beam a level higher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 8:52am On May 04, 2016
@ spyder880 can it still be corrected?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:03am On May 04, 2016
kolnel:

Just like brabus mentioned
Open up gulleys round the house to keep the water away
Palliative measure tho

This is exactly how I did it at my chateau

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:08am On May 04, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 9:08am On May 04, 2016
@n3xt, I was thinking of raising the door a little bit to increase the front dp, can land scaping help? Via attached pic.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:18am On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
@n3xt, I was thinking of raising the door a little bit to increase the front dp, can land scaping help? Via attached pic.

Sure you can raise the porch and the entrance door, then lower it with two-gentle step in to the ante or living room as the case may be.

Another important thing is you need to cut/reduce the arc lintel underneath the concrete fascia (parapet).

Landscaping will also work but you need to slope it away from the building wall to prevent capillary action.

Another good way to achieve more headroom is to discard the conventional noggins in selected areas and anchor your POP directly to the roof trusses.

I just like doing my things maintenance free.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 9:25am On May 04, 2016
Ok n3xt, so I can get this accurately? Because they said it must demolished and they are demanding ransom from me. Is thier any other thing I will need to do to increase the dpc?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:38am On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
Ok n3xt, so I can get this accurately? Because they said it must demolished and they are demanding ransom from me. Is thier any other thing I will need to do to increase the dpc?

Demolish! grin grin

1. Cut the front arc lintel. You need concrete saw to do this and use the rubbles to fill up the porch.

2. Cut the entrance door lintel to whatever height that suit you

3. Raise the porch area by one coach, 6" Slab and 2" - 3" finished floor (tiles or whatever you choose)

4. Check if you can adjust the noggin in the porch area. A recessed POP design won't be bad in such area. Don't use chandelier but nice ceiling light fittings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:39am On May 04, 2016
Our Engineers & everyone in the house, I greet you all.

I have some questions around interlocking, I have a lot of utilities buried underground and I am strongly considering interlocking as I feel its flexible and easy to maintain/fix/isolate specific areas in some respect.

1) Is it better to buy it ready made or buy the materials and cast it on site (value for money and quality wise)
2) What is the best mix ratio to guarantee that the finished interlocking stones will be strong and durable (during my research I know its good to mix it with stone dust)
3) Are there any special precautions when doing interlocking, or things that one should be careful with ?
4) Is there a difference in quality between the interlocks that Julius Berger use to build roads and the ones for residential buildings ?
5) Is it still necessary to use DPC nylon to line the base to prevent weed from growing.
6) Are there any other steps that one can take to prevent weed infestation on interlocking.
7) In the Western world, its possible to buy special sand that is used to fill what we call block paving stone, this special sand prevents weed from growing between the interlock stones. Is such needed or applicable in Nigeria ?
cool Is it a good idea to fill underneath with rubble, my concern is that rubble is suspect to movement unlike compacted sand at the base of a filling, and where there is movement, this will disrupt the movement and setup of the interlock stones.

Any other tips.

Thanks in advance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:19am On May 04, 2016
@ n3xt, won't that affect the roof? Or better still demolish to get what they want? Do you have few pictures to help?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:51am On May 04, 2016
N3xt can I call you? Can you give me your number? Are you on whatsapp?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:02am On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
@ n3xt, won't that affect the roof? Or better still demolish to get what they want? Do you have few pictures to help?

I don't know where you get this demolition idea wey you dey talk bro. Even when you demolish the frontal part, are you going to lift the roof?

You can consider having a glass at the porch area and use side as the entrance into the porch.

Nothing will affect the roof.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:09am On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
N3xt can I call you? Can you give me your number? Are you on whatsapp?

Whatsapp 08023429122
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 11:21am On May 04, 2016
Thanks @ n3xt do you have the full pics of that house? Do you know how much aluminium people will use to build that for me?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:25pm On May 04, 2016
AZUH:
Please can you help with pictures? I don't really know what tunnel is.

Honestly, as much as I'm into DIY, I think you need to hand over to a pro now to protect your investment.

I will not demolish that house because of that flimsy reason. Houses are built below grade all the time here, heck we even have basements.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MysticZeus: 1:49pm On May 04, 2016
Architects in the House, please, do You have vacancies for interns in Your firms please?.

Please, don't tell Me No. sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 04, 2016
goodday fellow nairalanders...I would like 2 know the estimated cost to construct each of d following on dry land in lagos

*2000 seater ultra modern auditorium
*350 seater lecture theatre
*a 3 storey block of 400 self contain rooms as hostel each with toilet and bathroom
* 3 storey block of 30 three bedroom apartments
*3 storey block of 25 four bedroom apartments
* a hall (cafeteria) that can accommodate 1300 people dining at a time
*a 3 storey building with 80 offices on each floor
*a 10 storey building with 3 small offices on each floor (a very narrow but tall building)

thanks in advance
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:33pm On May 04, 2016
@ ultron1234,

This is beyond online forum. Project like this needs to be discussed in details.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 04, 2016
@n3xt.....pls, I just need a rough estimate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 2:54pm On May 04, 2016
What makes or qualifies a land "commercial land" in residential area in nigeria?.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 7:47pm On May 04, 2016
Hello Nairalanders, is anyone here familiar with ibeju Lekki area as regards to drilling bore hole (how much one would have to drill to reach good water with no form of contamination) and how much one should estimate for foundation for 6 blocks of flat on a standard plot. Area is before the land proposed for new university. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 7:47pm On May 04, 2016
Hello Nairalanders,
is anyone here familiar with ibeju Lekki area as regards to drilling bore hole (how much one would have to drill to reach good water with no form of contamination) and how much one should estimate for foundation for 6 blocks of flat on a standard plot. Area is before the land proposed for new university. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:03pm On May 04, 2016
ultron1234:
@n3xt.....pls, I just need a rough estimate

Bro, I really wish I could help but it's rather too unfortunate I don't have X-Ray vision to perform a surgery without dissection.

Your document will be needed for proper and improper (if there's anything like that) estimation or guesstimates.

_______
Meanwhile, I'm looking for my Johnny!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 8:13pm On May 04, 2016
n3xt:

_______
Meanwhile, I'm looking for my Johnny!

Question
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 04, 2016
ice4u999:
Hello Nairalanders, is anyone here familiar with ibeju Lekki area as regards to drilling bore hole (how much one would have to drill to reach good water with no form of contamination) and how much one should estimate for foundation for 6 blocks of flat on a standard plot. Area is before the land proposed for new university. Thanks

We could help you if u send the designs to us at info@saelimited.com , samuelajoseengineers@gmail.com and saeltd14@gmail.com
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 9:27pm On May 04, 2016
ice4u999:
Hello Nairalanders,
is anyone here familiar with ibeju Lekki area as regards to drilling bore hole (how much one would have to drill to reach good water with no form of contamination) and how much one should estimate for foundation for 6 blocks of flat on a standard plot. Area is before the land proposed for new university. Thanks
To sink borehole for most Ibeju axis naa 30k. No let person decieve you with grammer when no dey book.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:33am On May 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:42am On May 05, 2016
back2sender:

To sink borehole for most Ibeju axis naa 30k. No let person decieve you with grammer when no dey book.

What ever do you mean Sir?

The capillary conducive properties of the sub strata must certainly be judiciously evaluated and adequate research that is proportional to both the foreseen and unforeseen usage of any liquid master that eminates from as such must be considered.

One just doesn't drill without proper technical training that cumulates in an engineering accumen from a suitable institution of pedigree grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 12:59am On May 05, 2016
EgunMogaji:

What ever do you mean Sir?

The capillary conducive properties of the sub strata must certainly be judiciously evaluated and adequate research that is proportional to both the foreseen and unforeseen usage of any liquid master that eminates from as such must be considered.

One just doesn't drill without proper technical training that cumulates in an engineering accumen from a suitable institution of pedigree grin

E never reach fight naa... grin

I no get dictionary eeehhh

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:55am On May 05, 2016
I need infos for polystyrene facial companies in nija. Anyone know of any to give?

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (3661) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kkonsults, Rany4all(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.