Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:44 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (378) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4295896 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) ... (3643) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jun 29, 2016
allCopacetic:

You just about summed it up.... same principle, different systems, different purposes

A building's grounding system
Protects occupants from mild shocks due to short circuit currents in the circuitry which could occur when a fault within an electrical device connects a live supply conductor to an exposed conductive surface. Such shocks could be experienced from touching kitchen sink, tiled walls, sockets and switches etc.

A lightning Protection system. Protects occupants from millions of volts of electricity (100-500)mill carried by lightning strike as a result of the potential difference between charged clouds (during a thunder storm) and the ground. That amount of electrical energy can turn a complete building to plantain chips or ...merely fry sensitive equipments, Depending on the magnitude.

The Good news is.... You could live in a location for 50 years And never experience a threat
The bad news is... you don't get a Memo when the shyyt is about to hit the fan

Bottom line, if you have a multi storey structure or built on an elevated ground, would be wise to do it... It's cheaper to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Excellent write up.

I'm adding to my bungalow because it sits on a hill and alone now until others build around it.

So my house is sitting there sticking it's tongue out at lightning grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 30, 2016
danowena:

Baba, Na for where?UK,USA , NAIJA?

Sorry, for USA.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:15am On Jun 30, 2016
Now letting

LEKKI
SEMI-DIRECT INSTRUCTION FOR LETTING

4 bedroom terraced duplex to let at ikota villa estate by lekki county estate Lekki #2m per annum.pics available on request

Semi Direct briefs to the principal :
Lekki 1,Oniru, Jakande environs

1. Partly fitted(A.c's, Generator etc) 4bed with study and bq in Agungi for 5m asking.

2. 4bed with a room bq in victory Park estate for 3.5m.

3. 3 bed with a room bq in prime water estate lekki for 3.5m.

4. Detached 5bed in Agungi lekki for 2.5m.

5. Brand new 4bed terrace with a room bq in osapa London for 2.9m.

6. 3bed with bq in Ilabere ikoyi Lagos for 6m.

4 Bedroom terrace duplex with a room Bq @Atlantic Estate, Alfa beach Lekki@ 2.5m x annum only

SURULERE
Newly built 3 bedroom with all rooms tilled and water treatment and carpark, back flat @ taoridi,Off babs Animashaun @900k x 2 years

3 Bedroom for showroom @Adelabu @800k x 2 years

Office. Spaces @ Adeniran Ogunsanya st as from 900k ,and 1.5m x 2 years

COSTAIN/APAPA ROAD
Newly built 2 bedroom with tiles @ Franklin street off Apapap road Costa in @700k x 2 years

Newly Renovated 3 bedroom with 2 toilets upstairs @ Ibidun st,SURULERE @ 700k x 1 year rent

3 Bedroom with 2 toilets @ Clegg @ 500k x 2 years rent only
3 bedroom with car park and facilities @ Adelabu st @ 1m x annum

Newly renovated executive miniflats with 2 toilets @350k x 2 years @ off. Cole street Surulere

Other available ones are in the apartment are 250k,and 200k all 2 years rent any tribe

Newly built No's of Miniflat @ Odubiyi st ikate Lawanson @ 250k x annum

Newly built Miniflat @ off Ekololu street, Surulere @ 400k x 2 years

Miniflat with minor repairs upstairs with carpark and water @ off Oseni st Lawanson @ 200k x 1 year rent only

EXECUTIVE 3 BEDRM; ITIRE LETTING
pay nd pack in neat and spacious, 3 Bedroom flat 3t2b,all round tiles, enough parking space, gated house wit security man, @ good side of Ashimowu bakare str, otun Oba, lawanson rd. surulere. #700k*1 year
Direct to d mandate.
Pictures available

OMOLE PHASE 1
5 bedroom duplex for office and Residence @Omole phase 1 @ 2.5m x annum only. Call Mike on 07086560323 07031972866
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:28am On Jun 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:
For those who might want to get into automating their homes, Samsung is having a 20% July 4th sale on their Smart things home automation stuff. If you register you also get an additional 10% off making 30% off.
Just a thought.

Good. I need to send a Samsung 4K SUHD 100inch TV to Kolashangone... smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:35am On Jun 30, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

He won't know what to do with that.

Kola probably thinks Redivision is still good enough grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:49am On Jun 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:

He won't know what to do with that.
Kola probably thinks Redivision is still good enough grin

You mean they still have those thing? "Asoro ma gbesin"

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:58am On Jun 30, 2016
mufutau55:

You mean they still have those thing? "Asoro ma gbesin"

Hajji M.

The cables are all cut off now but I saw a well-preserved unit at my family house in Ibadan. I want to put it on eBay, but ai thought that would be a bastard thing to do grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:28am On Jun 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The cables are all cut off now but I saw a well-preserved unit at my family house in Ibadan. I want to put it on eBay, but ai thought that would be a bastard thing to do grin
lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:31am On Jun 30, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

I love this.. Remember when you pick the one with 220/240v rating
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:12am On Jun 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:
@Erico2K2 here's a cheaper wireless combo fire/co2 alarm.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert-Battery-Operated-Carbon-Monoxide-and-Smoke-Detector-Works-with-Iris/4780109

I may still go with Nest but will look closely at this one since its 50% cheaper.
U kno with carbon monoxide I will say we should get a stand alone detector since they are cheap but very important if you going to have any thing that utilises refrigerant.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:19am On Jun 30, 2016
twinskenny:
lol

Abi Baba ikoko, ki olorun ma so wa di akotileta.

At least in Nigeria anyways, because here in the US I sell the shyte out of garage sales grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:21am On Jun 30, 2016
erico2k2:

U kno with carbon monoxide I will say we should get a stand alone detector since they are cheap but very important if you going to have any thing that utilises refrigerant.

Connectivity to a network is important though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 7:25am On Jun 30, 2016
erico2k2:

@Egunmogaji & Erico2k2Stand alone battery operated photoelectric smoke detectors and heat detector is nice. It can programmed in such a way that the u will get notification on your gsm phone is there is fire outbreak and cheaper than the addressable type or conventional type in the market
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 7:27am On Jun 30, 2016
glogirl:
please where is brabus?
is he banned?
I miss him.

It seems he has taken the advise of people that he should go and actually and practically be a 'building solution provider on the ground' instead of being a 'internet based google building solution provider'. grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:46am On Jun 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Abi Baba ikoko, ki olorun ma so wa di akotileta.

At least in Nigeria anyways, because here in the US I sell the shyte out of garage sales grin
amin ooo in as much as you will replace with a newer model... They shdnt be an issue sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by addforcemachine: 8:37am On Jun 30, 2016
how about self loading concrete mixer? will you think it's a good machine for building?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 30, 2016
addforcemachine:
how about self loading concrete mixer? will you think it's a good machine for building?

No, not for the types of builds that we discuss on here.

I see your adverts all over the place, you should focus your energy on profession building sites. Take your machines to their sites and demo it, show them the value.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:04pm On Jun 30, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Connectivity to a network is important though.
M but why would I want to network it? I will just stick it behind the fridges infact on the wall be hi d the fridge cos that the only source of carbon monoxide in a residential home. Of on comercial building where there might be multiple source of it then yeah.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2016
topsy23:

@Egunmogaji & Erico2k2Stand alone battery operated photoelectric smoke detectors and heat detector is nice. It can programmed in such a way that the u will get notification on your gsm phone is there is fire outbreak and cheaper than the addressable type or conventional type in the market
Noted
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:10pm On Jun 30, 2016
topsy23:

I get that.I was on about carbor monoxide detector. The colourless and odourless gas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
erico2k2:

M but why would I want to network it? I will just stick it behind the fridges infact on the wall be hi d the fridge cos that the only source of carbon monoxide in a residential home. Of on comercial building where there might be multiple source of it then yeah.

erico2k2 it may not be a good idea to stick a carbon monoxide detector behind the fridge. The manufacturer instruction is to stick on the ceiling.

In the western world, the fridge is normally on face value not a source of carbon monoxide but CFC gas. The heating system/boiler is the usual culprit. In Nigeria it's generators placed outside home windows with fumes filtering inside. How often have we seen on the news where a family is wiped out in their sleep because they left the Gen running overnight just behind the bedroom window.

So the optimal place to stick a carbon monoxide alarm in Nigeria is at the point inside closest to the Gen-Set outside.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 12:47pm On Jun 30, 2016
@addforcemachine.....I recall once asking you the cost of your machines and you couldn't write it on the thread. i don't think it should be a hidden business. Your machines are not even in Nigeria so i can classify your scheme as a potential scam.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 2:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
Just to chip in on this.
Carbon monixide detector is mainly useful when used indoors, generator etc produce a lot of carbon monoxide, thats the reason why if you read on the label/manual, they will say "SHOULD ONLY BE USED OUTDOORS AND NOT INDOORS"

If used in a place not well ventilated or indoors, it could lead to death.
As long as your generator location is well ventilated and placed outside, I dont see a problem and I dont think you need a detector either, otherwise it will probably be coming on every now on then. In western countries, its only advisable near a gas boiler, so that if there is a problem with the combustion, and the carbon monoxide is not going out through the flue, then the alarm will come on. I have never heard of it being used near a fridge, unless the fridge burns fuels to operate i.e open fires or petrol, gas etc.

diordaves:

erico2k2 it may not be a good idea to stick a carbon monoxide detector behind the fridge. The manufacturer instruction is to stick on the ceiling.

In the western world, the fridge is normally on face value not a source of carbon monoxide but CFC gas. The heating system/boiler is the usual culprit. In Nigeria it's generators placed outside home windows with fumes filtering inside. How often have we seen on the news where a family is wiped out in their sleep because they left the Gen running overnight just behind the bedroom window.

So the optimal place to stick a carbon monoxide alarm in Nigeria is at the point inside closest to the Gen-Set outside.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2016
mavverick:
Just to chip in on this.
Carbon monixide detector is mainly useful when used indoors, generator etc produce a lot of carbon monoxide, thats the reason why if you read on the label/manual, they will say "SHOULD ONLY BE USED OUTDOORS AND NOT INDOORS"

If used in a place not well ventilated or indoors, it could lead to death.
As long as your generator location is well ventilated and placed outside, I dont see a problem and I dont think you need a detector either, otherwise it will probably be coming on every now on then. In western countries, its only advisable near a gas boiler, so that if there is a problem with the combustion, and the carbon monoxide is not going out through the flue, then the alarm will come on. I have never heard of it being used near a fridge, unless the fridge burns fuels to operate i.e open fires or petrol, gas etc.

I agree with you when you say Gen Set should be outside in a ventilated space. True. But in reality in Nigeria, to most folks, well ventilated space is a luxury more so with renters living upstairs in a four flat set up. So the only well ventilated space is either the front balcony or back which may be right behind the bedroom, hence the call to locate any carbon monoxide alarm in these areas to monitor any breach of fumes into the living area.

In Nigeria, apart from Gen-Set and possibly cars packed in home garages (EgunMogaji I'm talking to you), there is little danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 30, 2016
diordaves:

I agree with you when you say Gen Set should be outside in a ventilated space. True. But in reality in Nigeria, to most folks, well ventilated space is a luxury more so with renters living upstairs in a four flat set up. So the only well ventilated space is either the front balcony or back which may be right behind the bedroom, hence the call to locate any carbon monoxide alarm in these areas to monitor any breach of fumes into the living area.

In Nigeria, apart from Gen-Set and possibly cars packed in home garages (EgunMogaji I'm talking to you), there is little danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

I respectfully disagree with you, Ericko2K2 and Mavverick.

Regardless of situation (garages and generators), there should be a working smoke detector at the entrance of each sleeping area.

Carbon Monoxide sensors should be located at an approved diameter.

In my city it's the law, for a purpose, and I actually have a detached garage.

Combining both detectors to me is the benefit of technology, which I cuddle.

There's a reason why we have one of the shortest life expectancy in the world.

Oh I'm also adding a radon detector but that might just push you guys off the ledge so I'll STFU about that grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:03pm On Jun 30, 2016
twinskenny:

I love this.. Remember when you pick the one with 220/240v rating

Yes Sir. I will surely remember, or we can get step-up / step-down. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:39pm On Jun 30, 2016
diordaves:

the gen set is usualy outside and not in an enclosed space, howver with people running thier I betta pass my neighbour on coridors then thats dangerous.
In Nigeria I made reference to the fridge as its the only highly consumable to produce the highest concentration of CO2 in the house when it gets faulty and develop a fire cos of whats inside.
Now the next source would be your AC, this can draw in CO2 from outside, fumes from car or Gen running close to it.We do not use gas boilers i n Nigeria so its not applicable.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:50pm On Jun 30, 2016
mufutau55:

Yes Sir. I will surely remember, or we can get step-up / step-down. Thanks.

Hajji M.

a client bought a samsung curve from the state and its came with stepdown... he told them he is shipping to Nigeria... (stepdown for free) advantage america
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 8:36pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hello bosses

How do one install lightning arrestor on a church/mosque that has cross/crescent high up in the towers. You know the sentiment attached to those stuffs.

@hajji mufutau55 @egunmogaji @freeworld23 @abdulwastex @kolashangone @spyder880

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:58pm On Jun 30, 2016
twinskenny:

a client bought a samsung curve from the state and its came with stepdown... he told them he is shipping to Nigeria... (stepdown for free) advantage america

Exactly Sir. They don't tell you "Go and Die" like in Edo State. They want a repeat customer so they have to be good to them.
That is what I call good Customer service.... not "Oga, make you de go, if you no wan buy joor".

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 9:02pm On Jun 30, 2016
NLresidentQS:
Hello bosses
How do one install lightning arrestor on a church/mosque that has cross/crescent high up in the towers.
You know the sentiment attached to those stuffs.

That is a good one... enquiry mind want to know too o. Oya all my Ogas in the house... theories...

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 30, 2016
NLresidentQS:
Hello bosses

How do one install lightning arrestor on a church/mosque that has cross/crescent high up in the towers. You know the sentiment attached to those stuffs.

The cross itself can be designed to be the spike, at least here in the US.

But I defer to my ogas at the top there and I'll add RichYoungRuler who has actually built a radio station with a tower.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (375) (376) (377) (378) (379) (380) (381) ... (3643) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: topsy23 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.