Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,798,992 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17297 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 11:15am On Mar 29, 2009
I believe we can learn better from quotes, quotes are stricking and straight to the point. so my fellow freethinkers, lets share our favourite quotes here.
each and every quote is passin out a message and I hope you will learn something different. I advice that you read all quotes with immense concentration and I assure you that you must be able to fish out something very inspiring and educating for your enlightenment.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his (God)own mistakes."
      Gene Roddenberry

"If this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?"

Albert Einstein

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."

Abraham Lincoln

If one asks followers of one particular god why they do not believe in a different one, you will usually find that they argue much like atheists, citing the lack of evidence or reasons for belief. The difference is that they apply the rule only selectively, to rule out all other gods, except their own preferred one, although there is no empirical difference between them.                                                                                                                                                                Sam Harris

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Karl Marx

"Faith is good, reason is better.
Faith is blind, reason sees clearly.
Faith is an answer, reason needs a proof.
Faith is the comforter, reason is the truth."

Ascony
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mantraa: 2:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-Philip K. Dick-

Do you ever ask yourself: What if i'm wrong?
-Daniel C. Dennett-

Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder.
-Homer Simpson-

If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair colour.
-Mark Schnitzius-

Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.
-Chapman Cohen-

Since it is inconceivable that all religions can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong.
-Christopher Hitchens-
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 2:41pm On Mar 29, 2009
mantraa:

Since it is inconceivable that all religions can be right, the most reasonable conclusion is that they are all wrong.
-Christopher Hitchens-
YES! And which religion u worship depends on which part of the world u grew up in.

Ascony:

"Faith is good, reason is better.
Faith is blind, reason sees clearly.
Faith is an answer, reason needs a proof.
Faith is the comforter, reason is the truth."

Ascony
And all these Christian Apologists will claim to use reason when explaining all the inconsistencies in the Bible whereas its thier faith and emotions that guide thier reasoning.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 2:44pm On Mar 29, 2009
Should I be amused that atheist never have the guts to go after the Qu'ran the way they do about The Bible.

The vocal ones on NL always hide their necks when it comes to Islam (they believe in an "imaginary person" too BTW) but when it comes to the Bible they start shining teeth

Unless you can rant your gibberish about both religions, be quiet. Cowards.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 6:19pm On Mar 29, 2009
DeReloaded:

Should I be amused that atheist never have the guts to go after the Qu'ran the way they do about The Bible.

The vocal ones on NL always hide their necks when it comes to Islam (they believe in an "imaginary person" too BTW) but when it comes to the Bible they start shining teeth

Unless you can rant your gibberish about both religions, be quiet. Cowards.

99 percent of the athiest here were former christians and that is the only religion they understand. they are only showing how irrational it is to accept the beliefs they were forced to believe since when they were kids. . . . .
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 7:14pm On Mar 29, 2009
How come that's the only religion they always question? There are some things in the Bible that also show up in the Qu'ran, why dont they question that?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 7:16pm On Mar 29, 2009
They should just admit that they stay away out of FEAR
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:26pm On Mar 29, 2009
DeReloaded:

How come that's the only religion they always question? There are some things in the Bible that also show up in the Qu'ran, why dont they question that?
i come from a christian background everybody i know who practices religion come from christian backgrounds. So naturally i critisize christianity.

DeReloaded:

Mukina will delete your topic if u critisize her religion. Trust me!

1 Like

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 7:38pm On Mar 29, 2009
DeReloaded:

I doubt if most of the ex- christians i know have ever read the koran, all they know is that the koran and most of its stories were copied from the hebrew bible, that alone is enough for them to discard it completely. christians keep whinning that former christians do not attack or question islam, i was watching a debate between a former pastor(atheist) and a bible apologist and when the bible apologist was put in a very tight spot he asked if the former preacher also attacks islam the way he attacks the veracity of the bible. grin grin grin most of the athiest on NL and from western cultures know only christianity(most have never read or seen the koran ) and all they are doing is showing the inconsistenceis, fallacies of its teachings and assertions. simple.

DeReloaded:

sure that is also a reason, muslims are quick to shout "murder them" when ever people ridicule allah or his last prophet. grin grin grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 7:49pm On Mar 29, 2009
mazaje:

most of the athiest on NL and from western cultures know only christianity(most have never read or seen the koran ) and all they are doing is showing the inconsistenceis, fallacies of its teachings and assertions. simple.

They should put more time in also reading the Qu'ran and pointing out the "inconsistencies/fallacies" or is it that atheist only have problem with Christianity? and NO, not everything in the Quran correlates with the Bible. Last I checked it should be arguing against any religion that believes in a higher spiritual being "in the sky". Until they stop cowering from other religions and going after the one they know wont ask for their blood, they will continue to look like pathetic cowards.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 7:50pm On Mar 29, 2009
i was watching a debate between a former pastor(atheist) and a bible apologist and when the bible apologist was put in a very tight spot he asked if the former preacher also attacks islam the way he attacks the veracity of the bible.

I bet he didnt have an answer.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 8:19pm On Mar 29, 2009
DeReloaded:

I bet he didnt have an answer.

his answer was that he has never read the koran at all. . . .
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 8:22pm On Mar 29, 2009
Lame excuse.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by huxley(m): 8:39pm On Mar 29, 2009
If you are a philosophical atheist, then you do not need to know about the finer points to refute or challenge them. I do not need to know the finer points of Islam, Christianity, Sihkism, or Sango, etc, etc to refute these religion. It is the more substantive claims (the claim of a deity and the existance of a supernatural realm) that the philosophical atheist targets. SO the atheist is not so much concerned with things like transsubstantiation, the trinity, virgin birth, sin, sacrifices to Ifa, Mohammed, etc, etc, etc. Atheism is concerned with the question of ontology of the deity.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 8:43pm On Mar 29, 2009
DeReloaded:

They should put more time in also reading the Qu'ran and pointing out the "inconsistencies/fallacies" or is it that atheist only have problem with Christianity? and NO, not everything in the Quran correlates with the Bible. Last I checked it should be arguing against any religion that believes in a higher spiritual being "in the sky". Until they stop cowering from other religions and going after the one they know wont ask for their blood, they will continue to look like pathetic cowards.

ok let me tell you why former christians attack only christianity and not any other religion. . .

christianity is the only religion they are familiar with, its core teachings and doctorines are the only teachings they know, ask duduspace to tell you the 5 pillars of islam and i bet you he won't be able to list one. if you find out that the people who you taught were you parents were not really your parents after all, but people that stole you as a baby from your original parents and lied to all your life, will you go around attacking other people's parents even if what they are doing to their children is wrong or will you attack the people who spent all their time lying to you that they were your original parents when they were not? most former muslim atheist attack only islam,  is here.]=http://www.ex-muslim.org.uk/indexMembers.html] here.  you'll find atheists who use Islam when rejecting the idea of a god god,reason is because they were ex- muslims and islam is the only religion they know.

1 Like

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 9:22pm On Mar 29, 2009
Statistics have shown that the more educated an individual, the less likely they are to be religious or believe in a god. 72% of the National Academy of Sciences members have a 'personal disbelief in god' and another 20% claim 'doubt or agnosticism'.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 10:54pm On Mar 29, 2009
an atheist from an hindu household would attack hinduism. an atheist from a sikh household would attack sikh. It's not that hard to understand. It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of having no interest.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 11:27pm On Mar 29, 2009
It's all fear

bawomolo:

an atheist from an hindu household would attack hinduism. an atheist from a sikh household would attack sikh. It's not that hard to understand. It's not a matter of fear, it's a matter of having no interest.

Um Not true, sorry.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 12:26am On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

It's all fear

Um Not true, sorry.

pls can you show me where ex-hindu who are presently atheist attack christianity? can you show me a post or writing from any former worshiper of buddah who attacks christianity?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 12:31am On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

I thot i was the only one who noticed these hypocrites. The flimsy excuse is always that 99% of them were "former christians" as if that makes a shred of difference. If, as mazaje claims, he is only revolting against a religion he was forced to accept as a child then why is he here foaming in the mouth at us? Where we the ones who forced him to read the bible? Why is the hypocrite not pointing out these flaws in the bible to his father and mother?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 12:34am On Mar 30, 2009
manmustwac:

Statistics have shown that the more educated an individual, the less likely they are to be religious or believe in a god. 72% of the National Academy of Sciences members have a 'personal disbelief in god' and another 20% claim 'doubt or agnosticism'.

urgh these stupid and desperate attempt to link atheism with intelligence.
That 72% of the members of the NAS are atheists is NOT because they are intelligent, they are simply a reflection of the increasingly godless society that produced them. I would think "intelligent" people shld be able to deduce that by now.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 12:51am On Mar 30, 2009
davidylan:

I thot i was the only one who noticed these hypocrites. The flimsy excuse is always that 99% of them were "former christians" as if that makes a shred of difference. If, as mazaje claims, he is only revolting against a religion he was forced to accept as a child then why is he here foaming in the mouth at us? Where we the ones who forced him to read the bible? Why is the hypocrite not pointing out these flaws in the bible to his father and mother?

thou hypocrite has any moslem ever told you to convert to islam? why do you have uncountable post pointing out the flaws of the koran and the islamic assertions to the moslems here on nairaland? grin grin grin grin you are a complete idiot
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 12:51am On Mar 30, 2009
What is new with mazaje? Same old senseless words.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 1:56am On Mar 30, 2009
mazaje:

thou hypocrite has any moslem ever told you to convert to islam? why do you have uncountable post pointing out the flaws of the koran and the islamic assertions to the moslems here on nairaland?

Goes to show he's not a coward like the rest of you. "Lets just attack the one that wont ask for my head"
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 2:10am On Mar 30, 2009
mazaje:

ok let me tell you why former christians attack only christianity and not any other religion. . .

christianity is the only religion they are familiar with, its core teachings and doctorines are the only teachings they know, ask duduspace to tell you the 5 pillars of islam and i bet you he won't be able to list one. if you find out that the people who you taught were you parents were not really your parents after all, but people that stole you as a baby from your original parents and lied to all your life, will you go around attacking other people's parents even if what they are doing to their children is wrong or will you attack the people who spent all their time lying to you that they were your original parents when they were not? most former muslim atheist attack only islam, is here.]=http://www.ex-muslim.org.uk/indexMembers.html] here. you'll find atheists who use Islam when rejecting the idea of a god god,reason is because they were ex- muslims and islam is the only religion they know.

this is dishonest bull. You are not familiar with christianity (beyond the atheist websites you plagiarise), you dont understand its core teachings neither are you familiar with its doctrines.
What if i asked to explain to me in concrete terms the doctrine of water baptism?
What if i asked you to explain the spiritual meaning of the breaking of the bread?
What if i asked you the bible's theological position on faith?

Do you know any of those?

You hypocrites and spawns of satan attack christianity because it is the truth, it is the only faith that actively questions your morals and pricks your consciences. Islam has no power, buddhism is simply idol worship in disguise . . . you HATE christianity because it condemns you for living in sin, you despise it because it shuts you out of heaven even though you claim you dont believe it exists.

You also hate christianity because most christians would turn the other cheek when you slap the first. If Christians were 50% as violent as muslims, none of you wimps would dare open your gob here.

Islam is trying so hard to get the UN to outlaw criticism of the quran and the name "mohammad", tolerance and freedom do not exist in muslim circles . . . AND YET you have more problems with christianity?

Stop howling like pigs you fools . . . we are not the ones who pushed the bibles into your laps as little kids . . . if any of you had any ounce of spunk in you why have you not confronted your parents about your stance on christianity? why do you cowards hide from your family and friends only to come here blowing hot air?

You all pretend to be intelligent, accuse us of being blind followers of emotions and worship the gods of science YET you cannot answer me one simple question - how did we get here and were are you going when you die?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 2:28am On Mar 30, 2009
you HATE christianity because it condemns you for living in sin, you despise it because it shuts you out of heaven even though you claim you dont believe it exists.

the concept of morality and sin isn't exclusive to Christianity. You Christians are sinners if graded by the laws of other religions (including your jewish and muslim cousins). Christians who eat pork are considered to be living in sin by muslims.

Why would atheists be concerned about heaven if atheist means a disbelief in the supernatural?

Must the loch-ness monster, bush babies, leprechauns have to exist before we talk about them?

Anyway in honor of the thread.
[center]
A cult is a religion you disapprove of
A religion is a cult that has gained acceptance.

A myth is somebody else's belief
A belief is a myth taken seriously

so many gods, so little reason

The difference between science and religion:
When Knowledge is inadequate,
science poses a question,
but religion proposes a belief

Great minds think alike
Small minds think all kind things

Old gods don't disprove
They get forgotten[/center]

The last quote is the most revealing one. Did Zeus and Horus cease to exist?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 2:34am On Mar 30, 2009
bawomolo:

the concept of morality and sin isn't exclusive to Christianity. You Christians are sinners if graded by the laws of other religions (including your jewish and muslim cousins). Christians who eat pork are considered to be living in sin by muslims.

But i never see any of you cowardly hypocrites cry about muslims no? Why are you bothered solely about christian principles?
True that the concept of sin isnt exclusive to christians but you people seem to worry more about what the bible has to say concerning sin no?

bawomolo:

Why would atheists be concerned about heaven if atheist means a disbelief in the supernatural?

thou hypocrite, if indeed atheists didnt believe a God existed, why do they spend so so so much time here wasting spittle over Him?

bawomolo:

Must the loch-ness monster, bush babies, leprechauns have to exist before we talk about them?

How many times do you waste energy on the loch-ness monster? how many threads has huxley made struggling desperately to prove that bush babies only exist in the cobwebs of the mind?

Foolish hypocrites.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 3:58am On Mar 30, 2009
You also hate christianity because most christians would turn the other cheek when you slap the first. If Christians were 50% as violent as muslims, none of you wimps would dare open your gob here.

Islam is trying so hard to get the UN to outlaw criticism of the quran and the name "mohammad", tolerance and freedom do not exist in muslim circles . . . AND YET you have more problems with christianity?

This is exactly my point. They keep dodging the question and wont accept the fact that they're merely cowards.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by dayokanu(m): 4:35am On Mar 30, 2009
Karmamod,

You can only criticise what you know about. How can you know about some writings encoded in Arabic language unless you are well versed in the Language. That is one of the beauties of xtianity and I would rather 100million atheist criticise it than for the bible to be encoded in Hebrew or Aramaic.

A typical Moslem has to go to Quranic school to cram the Quran how many people actually can do this? Several Moslems dont even understand the Quran thats why they depend on scholars to define and explain to them. Have you not heard of people who come out of Mosque of Friday and are fired up cos the preacher/Imam just explained somethings to them.
Not to talk of an ordinary non moslem How do you understand the message before you start criticizing it?

How many Yorubas can criticize Ifa when most people dont know wat its about rather things you hear from Ifa priests and its not even documented

secondly xtianity is the religion in most free societies where there is freedom of speech
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 5:06am On Mar 30, 2009
It's all fear

how does fear/Bravery come into criticizing Islam when you have the anonymity of the internet
or do you really think davidlyan would say all the things he says about muslims to the face of hiis muslim colleaguse( do you really think he would call a muslim lecturer a 'son of the devil' to his face? if davidylan, brave crtitic of Islam were really brave, he'd put up his real name and address.

there is no herosim/bravery in participating in online debates

a child could criticise his parents on an online form right to their face and they would not know.

thou hypocrite, if indeed atheists didnt believe a God existed, why do they spend so so so much time here wasting spittle over Him?

they are like you, only with a different obsession.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-246524.96.html

The definition of "adult" is subject to bias. As long as a 9yr old girl can get pregnant and deliver a healthy baby, i accept an 11 yr old is an adult and HAS A RIGHT to consent to sex.

You cant spin try to spin this away . . .

this was from davidylan on the homosexual thread, in the end, i think what he really stands for is winning online arguments at any cost, , not 'Standing Up to evil Islam' from the sanctuary of anonymity
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 5:10am On Mar 30, 2009
dayokanu:

Karmamod,

You can only criticise what you know about. How can you know about some writings encoded in Arabic language unless you are well versed in the Language. That is one of the beauties of xtianity and I would rather 100million atheist criticise it than for the bible to be encoded in Hebrew or Aramaic.

A typical Moslem has to go to Quranic school to cram the Quran how many people actually can do this? Several Moslems dont even understand the Quran thats why they depend on scholars to define and explain to them. Have you not heard of people who come out of Mosque of Friday and are fired up cos the preacher/Imam just explained somethings to them.
Not to talk of an ordinary non moslem How do you understand the message before you start criticizing it?

How many Yorubas can criticize Ifa when most people dont know wat its about rather things you hear from Ifa priests and its not even documented

secondly xtianity is the religion in most free societies where there is freedom of speech

kindly stop talking out of your behind. . .there are Qurans with translations . one could make the very same arguments about christians, so may of you are led by the nose by your preachers, doesn't nairaland show you that?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 5:35am On Mar 30, 2009
You can only criticise what you know about.

Quite a number of the Christians on the board do it ie osisi, david, etc and I doubt they are "fluent" in Arabic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Atheists Unwind!!!! + Lots Of New Memes!!! / Things You Never Thought God Can Do / Mike Bamiloye Shares Story On His 33rd Marital Engagement Anniversary (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.