Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,879 members, 7,798,942 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:38 PM

Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures (12560 Views)

10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. / The Solar System And Its Waters And Oceans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:42am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]So lets have a very quick countdown of the planets in our planetary system... Maybe we can find one compatible enough to relocate if we start hearing stories that touch cheesy.... Oops sorry joking grin so back to business...

MERCURY:

This is literally the first son or should we say daughter of the system if you count from the sun downwards, this honey is hot.

Hugging the sun at almost a ridiculous distance of 35million miles , this baby leaves us breathless... Has an orbital period of 88days, i mean if we get to have one year in 88days how old am i gonna be by now angry Please Mercury is out of our relocation options, don't wanna get old grin

Named after the Roman God Mercury who served as the messenger of the Gods, little wonder the very first satellite to orbit Mercury was named MESSENGER.. cheesy

Mercury has no moon, weird right.. Yeah pretty much, it would be pretty intense though sitting that close to the father of our system, the sun.
I know you must be thinking mercury must be too hot shocked am so sorry to disappoint you but mercury lacks atmosphere so is just too lazy to retain heat... well sorry for the disappointment but Mercury has some really really cold regions and i mean too cold for any place found on earth.

The poles has a whooping sum of -173°C at night shocked.... It wouldn't take a second to get stuffs to freeze at that temp.. But mercury being as treacherous as it is boast of some very and really hot regions like areas close to the equator might boil up to 427°C shocked who needs roasted meat when you are the roasted meat if you land here grin

Anyway there we have it, our first planet venus...Pictures below
1)The earliest photo of mercury taken by MESSENGER
2)Grey scale close up selfie of mercury by messenger
[/b]

12 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:42am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]VENUS

This sweetheart is love, called earth's twin or sister is sweetly a very bright planet if close to the earth like our moon could make our nights look more like twilight because of it's brightness.

Comes second in the row, seats at 67million miles away from the sun.
an orbital period of 225days (approximated) .. It has no natural satellite (moon).. who dah hell needs a moon when you are that bright. In Rihanna's voice "Shine bright like a diamond" ...hehehehe Diamonds don't shine Dummy they reflect light grin

Anyway Venus was named after the Roman Goddess of love, beauty and sex (could do anything to date this Goddess grin) this love planet is visible in our night sky wink some of you probably wish on planets thinking they are stars no wonder those wishes don't come true cheesy

Even though Venus is synonymous to love, it's atmosphere wreaks of sulphur dioxide...that shiit doesn't show love angry anyway either way Venus is a beauty and a dear sister smiley

picture by satellite mariner10
[/b]

11 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:43am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]EARTH

Aaaaaaah yeah, the crown jewel... I can feel your sense of familiarity with this blue glory smiley Our home..Inside this little blue rocky planet a lot of shiit has been given and taken and a lot of annoying booty pics angry

This blue beauty seats at 92million miles away from the sun and a nice 365days orbital period which is one of the shiits we have to deal with all the time with the celebrations and new year chickens... A beautiful atmosphere and a gravitational force of 9.8km/s

Anyway as it stands is still the only planet in our system confirmed to contain living organism which is a hell of a problem to it most of the time grin

So do not freak out but Earth also was named after a Greek Goddess Gaia (ancient greek personification of the planet), this planet has one natural satellite whose gravitational force controls the ocean tides...

Inside this very little beautiful blue rock which fortunately for us seats directly in the Goldilocks zone (astronomical term for not too hot nor cold, zones that are conducive enough to support life in a planetary system)

On this little rock is everyone you love, everyone you know, every one you ever heard of, every human who ever was lived out their lives here the aggregate of of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter, farmer, great scientist or illiterate, heroes and cowards, good men as well as villains, inventors and super star, leader and politician, every saint and sinner in the history of species live here.

on this little piece of dust suspended in a sun beam... The earth is a very small stage in a very vast cosmic arena... make it count... smiley

Enough with the praises jooor undecided, it can only get better... grin

1)earth
2)Earth as seen from the moon
3)Earth and her moon in a cute selfie
[/b]

13 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:44am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]MARS

The red planet is a very interesting one because it's the only one man is at the moment exploring from the inside.

This red beauty shows evidence of ancient oceans and also still has frozen methane water and is suspected to probably contain life beneath some dark deep craters or something close to that..either way you get the gist so lets just keep our fingers crossed till someone comes up with real evidence..

This rocky dude stands at 141million miles in the row and an orbital period of 686days... imagine what we could do with that grin...We'd probably get bored waiting for the new year cheesy

My guy has 2 moons named Phobos and Deimos...Has the record of hosting the tallest mountain in the solar system, almighty Olympus mons which makes our own Everest look dwarvish at almost 3times it's height, that's an insult, take that everest angry grin

this planet is also visible to the naked eyes from earth.

One look at this planet shows you it's a mean dude and must not be messed with cus it doesn't give a fucck, why because as you guessed right is also named after a God, in this case the Roman God of War, little wonder it doesn't smile.. grin

So currently man has a robotic machine on mars "the curiosity rover" exploring every inch of the red planet and with many plans on going man probably will land on mars hopefully before or after 2030 grin expanding our colony things wink

Give me a raised hand if you are interested in the one way trip to this red world, will save you a seat

1)Close range pic of mars
2)Inside by the curiosity rover..
[/b]

9 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:44am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]JUPITER

Hhmmmm my favourite and bestest buddy for real smiley This monstrous gas giant is the largest planet in the solar system and obviously the king of the planets little wonder she was named after the Roman King of the Gods Jupiter..

This gigantic body is enormous in every angle...483million miles away from the sun, annoyingly enough this guy takes a whooping 11 approximately 12 earth years to finish one revolution around the sun..who is supposed to wait that long to eat new year chicken angry

an enormous size that gets earth jealous because imagine what we could do with all that space, people won't even need fight over lands angry If the earth was a lawn tennis ball, Jupiter can easily pass for a basketball if not more.

Meanwhile this planet has a ring system just like Saturn but it's barely visible and wait for it ..... grin

Ridiculously 67 moons identified (still counting) shocked Jeeeeez thats a lot of moons and the most famous of them being the largest of them which are the four Galilean moons Io, europa, Ganymede, callisto.. These moons e.g Ganymede show evidence of water and is counted as candidate for possible life.

Wonder what jupiter is doing with all these moons sef.. cheesy Greedy bastard. grin Also this planet is visible to the naked eyes from earth, i told you most of you are really wishing on planets grin

The eye spot (see pic) jupiter is famously known with, is actually a hurricane that has been battering the planet for like hundreds No no Thousands, naaah ..Mill.. aaah forget it, just know for a very loooong time now ?

1)Jupiter
2)Jupiter shown here with it's 4 largest moons..
3)pictured with its moon ganymede
[/b]

8 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:45am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]SATURN

Aaaaawww the famous ring man cheesy This planet is known for it's outstanding beauty and the rings too and she loves posing a lot for selfies, if saturn was a girl on earth, she really will give us guys a tough time cus of her remarkable beauty.

If i am to pick a girl friend, it surely must be this beauty... She gracefully seats at 890million miles away from the sun with her beautiful ring acting like a kind of self heat generator..another long new year chicken awaits us here with this biatch taking up to 29years to complete one orbital journey around the sun, seriously ?undecided

Thats why i said Saturn must be a girl cus i know girls who would take that long to complete one make up revolution undecided

This gas giant as usual was named after a Roman God of agriculture Saturn. It's been explored and orbited by a man made satellite Cassini

Saturn is another ridiculous greedy planet when it comes to moons hoarding as of now identified 62moons of which i will mention only few Titan , Enceladus , Rhea , Iapetus , Dione , Mimas, tethys.. chances more will be discovered soon

Hhmmmm all in all saturn is a very cool planet to chill with, unfortunately it's a gas giant otherwise i would have been typing this from there grin

Looks beautifully calm and serene and beautiful when viewed from a distance but in the real sense the wind speed in saturn will blow both you and your mind away!!! cheesy So better get a grip cheesy
[/b]

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:47am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]URANUS

This is got to be one of the most uneventful planets i know, i mean if this was an earthling we would classify it as deaf and dumb... angry

Doesn't quite make much noise like Saturn that is always showing off to be noticed angry

Ok Uranus is an Ice-giant ok yeah a gas giant but also termed an ice giant by scientists, a very cold world with a lot of ice, but don't worry achim sweater grin Pinging you from Uranus...This planet is mainly made up of ice and rocks.

Uranus is 1.7billion miles away from the sun and takes 84years to complete it's orbital journey around the sun...WTF!!!

Uranus boast of 27 moons and like other planets was also named after a God..a Greek God of the sky, actually this one predates most Greek Gods you are familiar with cus Uranus with his consort Gaia are the parents of the titans... so even mother earth has a boy friend heheheheh grin no be only us sabi that thing naa...grin

Uuhm so there folks...

Uranus as photographed by voyager 1
[/b]

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:47am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]NEPTUNE

I mostly call this dude the twin brother of Uranus cus they are mostly alike in many ways..Neptune is also a Gas giant, sorry Ice giant and is the last main planet in the solar system.. smiley

The roman God of the sea is no joke, no wonder this planet is beautifully bluish in color.

This guy is at 2.7billion miles away from the sun and an orbital period of an astonishing 164years, who dah fvck is gonna stick around to see one new year on this guy undecided

Neptune at least is not that selfish with moons claiming only 14 as we know it now, out of the 4 gas giants this is the most dense of them all and the most blue grin

Just like Uranus Neptune is made up of ice and rocks and frankly more ice than Uranus..

its atmosphere still similar to that of Uranus, composed primarily of hydrogen and helium, along with traces of hydrocarbons and possibly nitrogen..

Neptune am sure makes a really good vacation spot grin

so guys if you wanna blow her mind, take her to Neptune for vacation or girls when your man asks tell him you will like to go to Neptune for vacation grin either way "I no follow" cheesy
[/b]

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 8:53am On Aug 25, 2015
[b]PLUTO

Ok this is not really classified as a main planet by the astronomical body, they are still deliberating on that and seriously they are wasting a lot of time on that angry Anyway pluto as of now is identified as a dwarf planet along with 4 approved others but just for the record i wouldn't miss this pretty gold dwarf in my list for anything

So unless you live somewhere outside the solar system, you should have heard when this small sweetheart was trending all of over the news and net not too long ago because the space craft New Horizons finally reached this planet after years of tireless journey and it provided us first hand pictures of this wonder world... smiley

This baby stands at 3.6billion miles away from the sun with an orbital period of 247years shocked.... Forget New year chicken angry

Named after the God of the underworld, Pluto really isn't that bleak if you ask me, it even shows to have heart shaped contour in the pictures ...Aaaaw so cute grin

Ok so apart from the annoying fact that this planet doesn't want us to eat the new year chicken with the type of ridiculous orbital period it has, what else are we to watch out for in this planet...

Uuuhm i think you may have guessed right, Pluto is primarily made up of Ice and rocks..and ooh yes Pluto has some moons too.. 5 of them actually still beats earth hands down in the moon race grin

and for the record, it takes light (from the sun) 5.5hours to reach Pluto...so imagine if we achieve the speed of light (a bit off the chat) we could travel to Pluto and back within hours...hehehehe what a dream grin

So there you have it, small but important celebrity Pluto cheesy
[/b]

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by menesheh(m): 9:35am On Aug 25, 2015
This must be front page bound or i will sue some niggaz here, Seun, lalasticlala and many more grin for being against anything science. At least the humorous way you presented it will interest any lay or uninterested peeps on the topic of our dear planetary body.

Is only in Nigeria cum Africa that amongst other things we are deaf and dumb about anything "outer space" and "space exploration"

Nice one prof Jonny.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by hahn(m): 10:00am On Aug 25, 2015
Nice post Johnnydon22.

Nigerians are still busy fighting each other over tribalistic and religious issues. We know so little of our own history it would be seen as ridiculous to even bother about other planets.

And before anyone comes here and claims their god is responsible for these beauties, kindly state the verse where other planets were mentioned in your holy book

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 10:14am On Aug 25, 2015
nice one!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 10:51am On Aug 25, 2015
menesheh:
This must be front page bound or i will sue some niggaz here, Seun, lalasticlala and many more grin for being against anything science. At least the humorous way you presented it will interest any lay or uninterested peeps on the topic of our dear planetary body.

Is only in Nigeria cum Africa that amongst other things we are deaf and dumb about anything "outer space" and "space exploration"

Nice one prof Jonny.
Lol.. am innocent... let me call more peeps .. Queed, pr0ton, FrancisTony, 5minsmadness, Teempakguy, RobinHez, Delsusiongirl20, dekatron, OgundeleT
Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by joywendy(f): 12:36pm On Aug 25, 2015
Love this! smiley funny to read! Brought back the good old days of geography...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Penuelseun(m): 2:42pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lovely write up, keep it up my guy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by llaykorn: 3:06pm On Aug 25, 2015
Haha. I love the humor in this; it makes the planets all brighter! grin

Well done, Johnnydoncome22

Cc:
Ishilove
Lalsticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
llaykorn:
Haha. I love the humor in this; it makes the planets all brighter! grin

Well done, Johnnydoncome22

Cc:
Ishilove
Lalasticlala
Hahahahahaha na so yo take rebaptize my name from Johnydon22 to come22.. lol...
Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Emmyk(m): 4:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nice one. But aging "system" in Pluto and other planets might differ from Earth's. So, that 247 years for 1 years, you might still look pretty young... Say, Earth's equivalence of a 10year old cheesy cheesy
Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Blakjewelry(m): 6:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
@johnydon you did not mention that mercury is the most densest planet in the system

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 6:46pm On Aug 25, 2015
menesheh:

Nice one prof Jonny.
I think the mods has an issue with scientific topics. . .No wonder the so called front page is filled with jokes ....
Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by menesheh(m): 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2015
johnydon22:
I think the mods has an issue with scientific topics. . .No wonder the so called front page is filled with jokes ....

Internet traffic. Science topics don't generate traffic.
Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Pr0ton: 10:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
johnydon22:
Lol.. am innocent... let me call more peeps .. Queed, pr0ton, FrancisTony, 5minsmadness, Teempakguy, RobinHez, Delsusiongirl20, dekatron, OgundeleT

Nice one. Interesting and funny. I sincerely hope it makes front page. Seun Lalastical(?) Ishilove. Una biko

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
Pr0ton:

Nice one. Interesting and funny. I sincerely hope it makes front page. Seun Lalastical(?) Ishilove. Una biko
Lalasticlala, actually.

Nice one, Johnydon22!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin master johnydon22 has finally found his sense of humor!.

I absolutely love this! I was recently arguing with girl that scientists were dry and humorless,

Well, taiwo . . in your face biatch!!! angry

Even the site itself contributed to the joke by changing naked to unclad. grin

Anyway, it's a really nice article. I love the humor, originality, and lalasticlala . . . Na beg we dey beg you. Drop this on the frontpage. Abeg. sad

And where is robinhez? angry

Perhaps you should do another article based specifically on dwarf planets. Eris, Pluto and Ceres would rule that one. Also, you could do another one on space landmarks such as the oori cloud, these comets, asteroids, saggitarius B2/w3(OH) and nebulas.
I love your fascination with space and you totally handle it while I stick with radioactivity and robin sticks with . . . . solar power. grin grin

TEEHEE!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
menesheh:

Internet traffic. Science topics don't generate traffic.
this one will.
I can guarantee that this one will attract more than most topics on front page. People are getting tired of most topics on front page. Those lists and divorce cases have started getting boring.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nice one! But this would never make front page with that heading! Rather use something like: "which of the 8 planets has the biggest curve?" Then the mods would consider it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 11:21pm On Aug 25, 2015
theAtheist101:
Nice one! But this would never make front page with that heading! Rather use something like: "which of the 8 planets has the biggest curve?" Then the mods would consider it.
Lol...or maybe Uranus dike is unclad or pluto buhari went to saturn...seriously i dont even visit nairaland front page... the only comments you get are "FTC" it LadyF again, Daura President... what type of simpletons full nairaland exactly

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by menesheh(m): 11:22pm On Aug 25, 2015
Teempakguy:
this one will.
I can guarantee that this one will attract more than most topics on front page. People are getting tired of most topics on front page. Those lists and divorce cases have started getting boring.

I pray so but i doubt.

Statistically, young people are the most visitors on nairaland thus, they are more concern about sex hormones busting inside them (romance) and celebrity threads.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by johnydon22(m): 11:29pm On Aug 25, 2015
Teempakguy:
Hahahahahahahaha grin grin grin grin master johnydon22 has finally found his sense of humor!.

I absolutely love this! I was recently arguing with girl that scientists were dry and humorless,

Well, taiwo . . in your face biatch!!! angry

Even the site itself contributed to the joke by changing naked to unclad. grin

Anyway, it's a really nice article. I love the humor, originality, and lalasticlala . . . Na beg we dey beg you. Drop this on the frontpage. Abeg. sad

And where is robinhez? angry

Perhaps you should do another article based specifically on dwarf planets. Eris, Pluto and Ceres would rule that one. Also, you could do another one on space landmarks such as the oori cloud, these comets, asteroids, saggitarius B2/w3(OH) and nebulas.
I love your fascination with space and you totally handle it while I stick with radioactivity and robin sticks with . . . . solar power. grin grin

TEEHEE!
You are right i think i will write another on nebulas, dwarf planets, galaxies, blackholes, asteriods, stars and other astronomical wonders..

Astronomy is a beauty bro, will marry her if I can..... Where dah fvck is RobinHez and Queed...we don't need fp to make this as long as our home that seun closed down grin
Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 25, 2015
Wow!....this is very interesting, i so much love d way u took ur time to explain those things, especially d funny way u did it, i actually thought all scientist have lost their sense of humor or something.....grin

But i think i'm gonna have a rethink now cool

Nice one op kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 11:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
johnydon22:
You are right i think i will write another on nebulas, dwarf planets, galaxies, blackholes, asteriods, stars and other astronomical wonders..

Astronomy is a beauty bro, will marry her if I can..... Where dah fvck is RobinHez and Queed...we don't need fp to make this as long as our home [b]that s.eun closed down grin
[/b]
seems they are having their beauty sleep. cheesy it is not easy to have fresh face. cool
I trust them to comment as soon as they see the thread.

Ah yes, freemanan. tongue

@bolded . . .Lolz, after closing that, we had to keep squatting from thread to thread. grin
#funtimes

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Solar System Planet Count Down With Pictures by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 25, 2015
Teempakguy:
seems they are having their beauty sleep. cheesy it is not easy to have fresh face. cool
I trust them to comment as soon as they see the thread.

Ah yes, freemanan. tongue

@bolded . . .Lolz, after closing that, we had to keep squatting from thread to thread. grin
#funtimes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Youverify Launches Youid, An All-in-one Security And Lifestyle App / Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality / Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.