Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? (33462 Views)

NTA And AIT Now Praising GMB!!! / Nigerian Commercial Adverts Of 80's And 90's / Who Remembers This Children's Tv Program From The 80's/90's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by cescjay(m): 5:37pm On Apr 11, 2009
tales by moon light
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Lax75(m): 5:56pm On Apr 11, 2009
Kai!!! The NTA of the 80's, where do I even start

Tales by Moonlight, God bless u aunty Nkem
Newsline, Frank Olizie, lol
DANGERMOUSE!
BirdMan
VOLTRON!!! Never missed an episode, my favorite team member was Sven
Behind the Clouds
Bassey and Company
I can't believe someone actually mentioned the Kessingsheen Show, lol, too funny!! E be like say AC no work for that studio oo!
Fawlty Towers, man I loved this show
Andrew no check out oooo! Stay and build your country, Nigeria go survive, lol

Could go on and on.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by MAURI: 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
May the almighty continue to bless everyone who has contributed to this thread.
GOOD FCKING OLD DAYS!
@Soloreal. Thank you very much for the list, brought tears to my eyes. Tears of joy and misses. Also realising in hindsight what wonderful childhood we had back then! Does anyone remember:
- Adio's family
-  Art Alade show (on saturdays)
- Morning ride anchored by Danlandi Bako? I am sure you guys do.

Nice one guys and happy easter!
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by joxiri: 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2009
@ poster
 i must admit you have a very good memory, rentaghost was very funny back then
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by AjanleKoko: 6:58pm On Apr 11, 2009
Funny enough, the many many TV stations of nowadays have nothing to air, asides, Mexican soaps, endless naija music videos, and Nollywood movies!
That's even with their 18 hour a day broadcast time.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 11, 2009
Same topic was discussed by my colleagues in office via forwarding emails a couple of weeks ago and people were recalling the programmes with nostalgia.
Quite young in the eighties, but I think most of those programme were still on by very early 90's, then I can come in.
-Hearing that 'dindindin. . . . ' sound before network news used to annoy me. Before they finished the news by 9.45 I would have slept.
-Liked tales by moonlight, 6.30 pm Sundays
-Anytime that OMO jingles was being shown, all of us(my peers-youngies-in the family) used to rush to the parlour and sang along.Very interesting advert.
-I did not watch Village headmaster, but I wish I watched it, given the way oldies talk about it
-Found willie-willie very scaring. . . too afraid to watch it
-There was a programme they used to do on NTA in the night then, I think on weekends, where these oyinbos will be laughing kekeke. Don't know the title of that programme but should be a comedy.
-Watched 'No one but you' and 'wild rose' simply to be able to participate in discussions about it in school teh next day.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by hackney(m): 7:12pm On Apr 11, 2009
I'd pay money to go back in time to the 80's for 1 month if it was possible.
There were numerous ,very intelligent TV programs then very unlike now (r we going backwards or what? )
Remember willie-willie; couldn't sleep afterwards each time.

Also the Govt just wasn't greedy then too in the early 80's. cool cool cool
Billions of  what? no way.
It must have felt weird embezzling even rice then.

Also things like white teachers in public primary schools, oh!!!
Imagine having to move back from london to get proper primary ED
Those were the days
Oh nostalgia! why temptest thou me?? smiley smiley
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by sholasys: 7:13pm On Apr 11, 2009
It was fun up north during 80's with  Mo gana jari che( Hausa cinema), Voltron, samanja etc NTA saturday Magical show, forgotten the name of the magician but used to say " Abraca da bra, bichi la bichi la , the more u see the less u understand, ohhh phero when shall i see my home, , " Kia, this thread made me to shed tears and remember my old days. This shows that nairalander are matured pple.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by 4peace(m): 7:27pm On Apr 11, 2009
I looked years back and i laughed and say thank God for Technology
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by pappilo(m): 7:33pm On Apr 11, 2009
Some strange ones bring back the years for me;

Festac 77 : Anyone one remeber the theme song? It reminds me of stealing VIP from my dads room.

KiddieVision 101: It is time for kiddievision 101, it is time for me,

Tom Grattons War.

Tom Sawyyer.

Voltron: Honestly, I didnt see may episodes of it cos my bloody school was miles away from home and by the time we arrived it was finished so had to make do with Thundersub or Terrahawks. This period also reminds me of the smell of the food that was prepared and left in a food flask by my mom. There was always this plastic smell to it but loved it still.

Top of the Pops: Olisa Adibua, Damn that man is old!

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Redman44(m): 7:48pm On Apr 11, 2009
I have this belief that any one or a consortium of companies, that can bring back all the programmes and shows mentioned on this thread will make a lot of money via adverts and public interest. We need to be very innovative in Nigeria. I hope some people will be inspired by this thread to start thinking about children's programming in Nigeria. NTA is now a caricature of its former self. A time is coming [ in the near future ] when many of the TV stations we have presently in Nigeria will begin to close shop, because of the emergence of new stations with innovative, educative and eye catching prohramming. We all know what Google did and is still doing to Yahoo, MSN, Altavista and the remaining search engines. I am someone that believes in fixing problems with deep thinking. Cheers.

www.toluihidero..com
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by mommamia: 7:53pm On Apr 11, 2009
Remember guys NTA was originally called NTV---Channels 2,3,4,5 and 7. Anyone remember the programme WINDS AGAINST MY SOUL by Laolu Ogunniyi, that was my best followed by Village Headmaster. The man from the atlantic we enjoyed, what about combat, great programmes them days guys
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 11, 2009
Remember those rainbow colours just before 4pm!
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Pataki: 8:50pm On Apr 11, 2009
I miss that 9:00pm wall clock that NTA usually shows just before NTA news.

I remember, I used to wait for that wall clock to appear so that I can set my wristwatch properly. Does anyone remember it? cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by ElRazur: 8:51pm On Apr 11, 2009
Well done guys. Here are the unmissable for me.

Voltron:

My favourite moment is when every one is downstair playing football. Then, friend will shout from upstairs down to us "NEPA ti mu ina de and Votron ti bere" [Nepa don bring light back, Voltron have started]. I remember from this point on ward, every one of us will just drop everything and head upstairs for the tv room. grin

SuperTed.

Speed Racer.

Let's speak french [ this may be unique to NTA illorin]

Tale by moon light.

Igbo eledumare [a play by Jimoh aliu]

Newsline [presented by frank olize]

Koko Close

Behind the clouds.

Things fall apart

Also anyone here remember the popular cultured that filtered down to Nigeria from America back in the 80s? I'm taking about Breaking Dancing. Gosh it was the best thing ever, every one doing "Back slide" and breaking, 80s was the best decade ever man!! grin

Anyone ever tried to do a head spin and back spin? I did, lol!
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by mazaje(m): 9:11pm On Apr 11, 2009
Samanja. . . . . grin grin
atom ant. . . . . grin grin
talking parrot. . . . .
jagwa. . . . . . . . . grin grin grin
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by ElRazur: 9:21pm On Apr 11, 2009
mazaje:

Samanja. . . . . grin grin
atom ant. . . . . grin grin
talking parrot. . . . .
jagwa. . . . . . . . . grin grin grin

Samanja was awesome man. He can speak english that do not exist and make it sound good. I wonder where he is today. I heard of Jagwa, but never got to watch him lol.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 11, 2009
Was watching NTA yest. . . .The good friday celebrations were on, waited for them to show my state, they didn't. angry angry

But the TALE BY MOONLIGHT was interesting sha grin
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by debosky(m): 9:43pm On Apr 11, 2009
What is there to show in Ekiti? Pounded yam 24-7, after that some idiots come out and threaten/kill each other. grin

NTA is living in the stone age - their picture quality and presentation is so archaic, it hurts to watch it at times.

NTA of the 80's was ok, but not that fantastic. I guess you tend to reminisce and idealise things in hindsight. Some good shows though - I liked Things Fall Apart.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by deekseen(m): 9:44pm On Apr 11, 2009
No one mentioned allo allo, madam kofo (forgotten the name of dat comedy show), this very popular yoruba show where they sing (tanmo o ko wa so, tanmo o kowa so, kia kia kowa so, ), abijah, fadeyi oloro, orisabumi, those yoruba plays, i didnt understand them then, but i watched along anyways.
When i remember more, i'll let u know.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 11, 2009
debosky:

What is there to show in Ekiti? Pounded yam 24-7, after that some idiots come out and threaten/kill each other. grin
angry angry angry Your joke is sooooooooooo not funny.

I saw your state sha, the abokis were busy chasing after cows tongue grin grin cheesy
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by ElRazur: 9:48pm On Apr 11, 2009
deekseen:

No one mentioned allo allo, madam kofo (forgotten the name of dat comedy show), this very popular yoruba show where they sing (tanmo o ko wa so, tanmo o kowa so, kia kia kowa so, ), abijah, fadeyi oloro, orisabumi, those yoruba plays, i didnt understand them then, but i watched along anyways.
When i remember more, i'll let u know.

Fadeyi olooro afi "shu keeh" cool

Madam kofo have a phrase of "Madam the madam, it is a matter of cash" grin and she then swaggers when she says that.

debosky:

NTA is living in the stone age - their picture quality and presentation is so archaic, it hurts to watch it at times.

NTA of the 80's was ok, but not that fantastic. I guess you tend to reminisce and idealise things in hindsight. Some good shows though - I liked Things Fall Apart.

It was the best thing ever, it was all we knew then. grin
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 11, 2009
i miss the NTA of d 80's real bad. The Masquurade and sesame street especially, it comes back hitting my memmories like an avalanche. In my view, our TVs of today tend 2 be efficient, but sterile and dehumanized, revealing a culture which is very businesslike, but artistically stagnant!
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by saddik(m): 10:24pm On Apr 11, 2009
Na so.

I miss d 80s so bad, then evertything was sweet, no problem to worry about.

TV was sweet, no DSTV.

Now, wahala, everyday, from house rent, NEPA fees, job search, girl frinds, fuel 4 car etc.

such is life.

1 Like

Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by seemama: 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2009
i miss frank olize of newsline
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by blackmann(m): 11:16pm On Apr 11, 2009
monday - voltron
tuesday - king arthur
wednesday - thundersub
thursday - dangermouse
friday - superted

then u have hotcash, checkmate(wednesdays), tales by moonlight(sundays 6-6:30pm), jimi sholanke's program, Mr. B, omoarayele, etc. . . . .i truely miss those days
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by mazaje(m): 11:19pm On Apr 11, 2009
does any body remember new masquerades (zebodaya and gringori) grin grin grin

Maggi family menu. . . . . .

behind the clouds. . . . .

blurry 9pm transmition of the NTA network news. . . grin grin grin grin grin. . . . back in the days. . . .
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:50pm On Apr 11, 2009
Drama and comedy:
1. Cock Crow at Dawn - I miss Bitrus (Sadiq Daba) and Zamaye (Ene Oloja)
2. Village Head Master - Chief Eleyinmi, Amebo, etc.
3. New Masquerade - the theme song is beautiful; miss Apena, Chief Zebrudaya, Natti, Jegede Shokoya, Clarus, Gringory and Ovularia
4. Robin of Sherwood
5. Howards' Way
6. Matlock
7. CHiPs
8. Hawaii Five-O
9. Jemima Shore Investigates
10. CI5 (The Professionals)
11. The Avengers
12. The Love Boat
13. Charlie's Angels
14. Doctor Who
15. Starsky and Hutch
16. The Invisible Man
17. Sanduka
18. Moonlighting
19. Bigfoot and Wildboy - http://www.70slivekidvid.com/bfwb.htm
20. 'Allo 'Allo!
21. Fawlty Towers
22. Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em - Frank Spencer is sick!
23. Mind Your Language
24. Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)
25. Good Times
26. The Jeffersons

Educational:
1. Pronto Brain Match
2. Young Brains - hosted by Peter Okebukola
3. Mastermind - anybody remember the name of the host?
4. Funny Company - learnt a lot!
5. 3-2-1 Contact - really inspired me
6. Wild wild world of animals
7. Cosmos - may God bless Carl Sagan!
8. The Africans: A Triple Heritage - thank you Ali Mazrui!
9. One Northern Summer - introduced me to the word "tundra".
10. Kiddie Vision 101

2 Likes

Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Ndipe(m): 11:51pm On Apr 11, 2009
Absolutely, miss it. Do they still have this program, "Tales by moonlight"? It was quite a popular program in Lagos when I visited.
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:53pm On Apr 11, 2009
jabbok:

i miss the NTA of d 80's real bad. The Masquurade and sesame street especially, it comes back hitting my memmories like an avalanche. In my view, our TVs of today tend 2 be efficient, but sterile and dehumanized, revealing a culture which is very businesslike, but artistically stagnant!

Wonderful! Wonderful expression! Thanks for putting it so well! smiley
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by Ndipe(m): 12:02am On Apr 12, 2009
soloreal:

mighty mouse,
things fall apart,
Checkmate, 
frank spenser, 
Behind the Clouds,
mirror in the sun,
  koko close,
  fortunes,
bassey and company,
jagua,
mind your grammar ,
the rich also cry,
Telematch{team b my fav},
omo advert,
blue band advert,
close up advert,
SUNDAY RENDEZVOUS{HAHAHA},
nasco biscuit advert,
Vitalo commercial{hahaha hot or cold},
Ripples,
chocomillo advert,
kessingsheen show,

1980's NTA COMMERCIALS ARE LISTED BELOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPXAqzCqFMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6WyYyufuI&feature=related

I bumped the adverts on youtube, memories,had me in stitches , good ol days,omo costs 68 kobo!
[/quote

Mighty mouse? Wao, I had completely forgotten the cartoon until you mentioned it. Thanks. I miss the 80's
Re: Does Anyone miss NTA Of The 80's? by promise72(m): 3:32am On Apr 12, 2009
Does anyone remember the VW ad that almost 20 people got in/out of the vehicle? I think its VW igala grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

BBNaija: Fan Makes A 'Bring Back Avala' Shirt (Photos) / It's Hard For Me To Sleep At Night Without Nini - Saga / BBNaija S6: Beatrice, Peace Squabble During Task Preparation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.