Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,665 members, 7,801,919 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

My Job Loves Me..... Do You Love Yours? Share Your Career Story Here - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Job Loves Me..... Do You Love Yours? Share Your Career Story Here (695 Views)

Why I Lost My Job At An Airtel Shop Today / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month / Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Job Loves Me..... Do You Love Yours? Share Your Career Story Here by bukkytroni: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
CAREER DIARIES....

My Job Loves Me... Do You Love Yours?

Ever so often, I think of my career journey and in deep reminisce, forced to agree with Steve Jobs that you can only connect the dots in hindsight. Its intriguing that though the jigsaw puzzle isn't fully formed, I can categorically say with both political and non-political correctness, that I love what I do and in reciprocity, my job seems to love me too.

I studied Physics.... Honestly I don't know what was running my head when I chose the course.

I veneered into computer programming... I remember my friends Joseph Jones and the visionary Dan Fat who will make sure we go hungry so we can order for C++, C#, Visual Basic, and most significantly MS Visual Studio with almost 25CDs. That was how Explorers started in the oven of our youthful imagination of this Trinity. Regrettably, that was where I acquired the evil habit of perennial hours of staring at the computer screen. Our inner circle grew wider when people like Dayo Ayeni, Tosin prof and Emeka Awagu came into our lives, these are men whose brains work at the speed of light. We could have built the biggest software company out of Africa. Unfortunately, the dream was betrayed by our own lack of business skills. Of course, blame the fact that we had academics to juggle with and other vicissitudes of growing up. On the sides, we all became businessmen in our own rights and today, I can say over 90% of these bunch of friends of mine did set up there businesses right from school, except a few exceptions for which I am first on that roll call who didn't have the guts to launch into the deeper end of the ocean.

Many years through the journey, I began to self discover.... I am not exactly wired to write codes for a living, rather as a pastime. Meanwhile, mention investment opportunities and my Alladin lamp catches fire.... Who owns the project? How much does it cost? What is the return potential? When will we make money? Who can we talk to? Have you done enough research?.... You are sure to be hit with a barrage of questions.

Could this be my TRUE NORTH? I began to take as many personality tests I could find online. I studied Biographies and Autobiographies. I remember stumbling on a particular book... worn, old and tattered in my school library... Title? HARD DRIVE. An expose on Bill Gates, who he was, where he was born, how he got started, how and where he slept (often at weird positions from exhaustion, lol), how he became a millionaire, a billionaire, raising many other millionaires in the process etc.

I was electrified. I had no option than to do what will make my lifetime worthy, meaningful, exciting and fulfilling. From thence, I expanded my scope of study to sales, marketing, performance management, administration, contracts, business laws, Nigerian Constitution, business strategy, change management, technology and innovation, multinational operations, and of course Physics... lol.

My desire to become an investment banker was gradually unfolding like the lights rays of the early morning dawn...

.....*ToBeContinued
Re: My Job Loves Me..... Do You Love Yours? Share Your Career Story Here by Nobody: 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2015
The poster above me is a physicist, Investment Banker and a Writer.

(1) (Reply)

Customer Care Training / IMT 2015/2016 Second Admission List Will Be Out soon. 07013984084 / Urgently Needed For Immediate Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.