Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,487 members, 7,781,461 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:49 PM

Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor (25103 Views)

Ooni Enitan Adeyeye With Oba Sijuwade In Throwback Photo / Oba Sijuwade When He Arrived For His Coronation / Ooni Of Ife’s Last Photo Alive: Oba Sijuwade Rides Rolls Royce Car With Sons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by honeywealth75(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2015
The search for a successor to the late Ooni of Ife, Okunade Sijuwade, is taken a controversial dimension, as a clan in the Ogboru ruling house has rejected plans by the kingmakers to restrict their selection to the Giesi family.

Although it hitherto appeared settled that the Giesi house would produce the next Ooni, being next to the Ogboru ruling house in the succession order established by government declaration on the Ooni chieftaincy title of 1977, a clan in the Ogboru royal family is also now jostling for the position.

The Ogboru family is contending that the Giesi ruling lineage should blame itself for conceding its turn to produce an Ooni to the late Oba Sijuwade, saying the concession to the late king was to him as an individual and not to the Ogboru clan as a whole.

There are four ruling houses in Ile-Ife – Lafogido, Giesi, Ogboru, and Oshikola.

Oba Sijuwade, who reigned between 1980 and 2015, is of the Ogboru royal lineage.

The Giesi ruling house last produced an occupant to the position – Ooni Derin Ologbenla – between 1880 and 1894.
The other royal houses have also taken turns to produce Obas for the ancient town at various times.

The Ogboru lineage produced Oba Adelekan Olubuse I, who reigned between 1894 and 1910, with the Lafogido ruling house producing his successor, Oba Ademuluyi Ajagu (1910-1930).

Oba Sijuwade’s predecessor, Adesoji Aderemi, who reigned between 1930 and 1980, came from the Oshikola ruling house.

But the Adetipe family from the Amodo clan of the Ogboru ruling house said it has already submitted an expression of interest for the Ooni stool, saying Oba Sijuwade’s time on the throne should not be counted for the Ogboru ruling house.

The development has raised the tempo of the contest for the traditional stool, with fears that getting a new traditional ruler for the ancient town may not be tension and crisis-free after all.

The Giesi Ruling House is however insisting that it is its turn to produce the next Ooni to succeed Mr. Sijuwade, who joined his ancestors on July 28.

On the other hand, the Adetipe family of the Ogboru clan is laying claims to an alleged agreement between Giesi and the last Ooni to trade its turn.

At a press conference Monday, the princes of the Giesi ruling house, namely, Adelowo Ogunleye, Ropo Ogunwusi and Moses Awogbade insisted that it was their clan’s turn to produce the next Ooni.

Mr. Ogunleye, who spoke on behalf of the family, said it was the turn of the ruling house based on the government declaration on the Ooni chieftaincy title in 1977.

He said another memorandum issued by the old Oyo State Government dated September 16, 1980 on the appointment of the Ooni provided for four ruling houses: Osinkola, Ogboru, Giesi and Lafogido in that order.

“We want to seize this opportunity to tell the whole world especially the people of Ile-Ife and government of the State of Osun, ably headed by our amiable and indefatigable governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, that the normal rotation to the succession to the throne of Ooni which is in vogue in Ile-Ife presently, has ascertained the fact that it is now the turn of Giesi Ruling House Moore Ile Ife to produce the next Ooni of Ife by the special grace of God almighty,” Mr. Ogunleye said.

“It is on record as indicated by the government declaration captioned ‘ The Ooni of Ife Chieftaincy Declaration’ reference no CB141/7/1/540 dated 22nd August, 1977 addressed to the then Executive Secretary of Oranmiyan Local Government Ile-Ife from the office of Military Governor of Oyo State of Nigeria and duly signed by the then Secretary to the Military Government and Head of Service.”
He further stated that Paragraph A of the letter stated that the order of rotation among the ruling houses should be as follows: “( 1) Osinkola (2) Ogboru (3) Giesi (4) Lafogido.”

“We want all and sundry to please note that the Osinkola House produced our father Oba Adesoji Aderemi who ruled for 50 years in Ile-Ife and was immediately succeeded by Oba Okunade Sijuwade from Ogboru House who has just transited,” he said.

“It then follows that the next ruling house to produce the next Ooni of Ife should automatically and normally come from Giesi Ruling House as the government approved rotational arrangements.”

But a section of the Ogboru ruling house is raising questions about the order in which the families produce the Ooni.

While calling on the kingmakers to respect traditions and imbibe fairness in their appointment of a new Ooni, a prince of the Ogboru extraction, Adeniran Adetipe, said the Adetipe family from Amodo had submitted an expression of interest for the stool.

He explained that the Ogboru family, which produced the last Ooni, has seven clans, which are Molodo, Amodo, Alaka, Adejokun, Odogbon, Ooni/Ilare and Olubuse/Olodo.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/188964-crisis-in-ile-ife-as-ruling-houses-battle-over-oba-sijuwades-successor.html
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by bettercreature(m): 2:48pm On Aug 25, 2015
No wonder,i saw smoke everywhere when i woke up this morning

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Unsad(m): 2:51pm On Aug 25, 2015
You guys must Sha fight, I thought ifa was in charge of choosing. Smh.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by mannobi(m): 3:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
We are watching
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
Not that i care shaa but i think it is only fair for the Giesi house to produce the ooni in the spirit of fairness!!! Those Ogboru guys are mischievious!! They should be used for the abobaku

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 25, 2015
oh boy. Ogboru alone has 7 clans!
...it is well, It's gonna be a battle.....They should just let the oracle solely decide to avoid trouble.

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Volksfuhrer(m): 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2015
chukwudi44:
Not that i care shaa but i think it is only fair for the Giesi house to produce the ooni in the spirit of fairness!!! Those Ogboru guys are mischievious!! They should be used for the abobaku

LOL.

2 Likes

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by akoraye(m): 4:21pm On Aug 25, 2015
Anyway! I'm here in my source (Modakeke) watching! abeg make una mind the boundaries oooo!

6 Likes

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Hayorstimmy: 4:48pm On Aug 25, 2015
Na wen una wn select king una dey remember Ile-Ife....I knew smtin lyk dz was gonna happen
U guyz hv bn away fr a while ooo
Ife looks jaga jaga since 1702

3 Likes

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by ferhyntorlah(f): 4:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
chukwudi44:

Based on what I read above, it is the turn of the GIESI family to produce the next Ooni.

The Ogboru family should take a chill pill jor.

3 Likes

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 25, 2015
The Ogboru guys are just trouble makers.

Isn't it crystal clear from this article that the Giesis are next?

I support the guy above, let the Ogborus settle for the vacant Abobaku stool.

12 Likes

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Dcaliphate(m): 5:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
oya make una start to kill unaselves with juju na abi wetin remain? yeye blackheads

1 Like

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by LMAyedun(m): 5:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
The love of power!
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Olalekanbanky1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
Ok I'll do something about it.... Meet me in ma house for a meeting
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by jogsman01(m): 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
game of thrones........ SEASON 6
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
I knew it would come to this. Every position that attracts excessive wealth and opportunity to milk its citizens must always be fought for here in naija, a position that sensible people could use to change lives of his/her people
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by chymystique(f): 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
I Don't Care Who Emerges As The Next Oba undecided

Its obvious the Ogboru family are the ones making trouble... Nigeria has a long way to go when it comes to leadership.
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Funjosh(m): 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
I just pray for the safety of foreigners especially students.
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by okooloyun1(m): 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
Ok
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by thefakestan: 5:58pm On Aug 25, 2015
This is no news please.

ThefakeStan
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by bqlekan(m): 5:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
Make them come choose me.. m the missing prince
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by alcmene: 6:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
what do you expect in a place where the elders that are supposed to speak out are either flirting with women or busy doing this

3 Likes

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Biggybogo(m): 6:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
Wetin concern me. Siping my kunu.
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by bro4u: 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
f
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 25, 2015
Make them kil theirselves na, how is it our business
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by TheMainMan: 6:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
.. Thought their are Rules they follow now.. They wont fight for the post of abobaku buh will be fighting for the throne.. undecided..
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by petuniaevents(f): 6:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
smiley
Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by happney65: 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2015
Something that does no happen in Ibadan..The next Olubadan already knows himself after the current one..No need for any hullabaloo of sort..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor by Fesomu(m): 6:10pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kk

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers Wedding (opobo N Kalabari) / 5 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About The Efik People / Benue Bans Men From Spending More Than N100, 000 On Traditional Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.