Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,240 members, 7,807,810 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

Why Snakes Don't Die Of Their Venom - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Snakes Don't Die Of Their Venom (635 Views)

US Scientist Becomes Immune To Snake Venom After Allowing Deadly Snakes Bite Him / Some Scary Facts We Probably Don't Know About Snakes. / Snakes That Bit Off More Than They Could Chew. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Snakes Don't Die Of Their Venom by nkemdirim104(m): 5:05pm On Aug 25, 2015
I know if animals like
ourselves ate food that had been poisoned, it would have an adverse effect on us but it doesn’t seem to on snakes. I know they’re not immune to their poison because they don’t use it on each other when they fight for their territory battles.
I just wondered why that was really.

The reason is that the venom snakes use is a
protein. Proteins are made up of building blocks of what’s called amino acids. They’re the same stuff, effectively, as your Sunday roast meat.
That means that if you were to eat them – say I ate a snake and ate the poison sacks – if I just ate it and
it went into my digestive system the acid and the enzymes in my stomach would just be able to break down the protein so it would fall apart and it would be harmless. It’s
only actually toxic if it gets beyond the gut and it gets into the circulation of the body.

That’s why one snake could, for instance, eat another snake, and it wouldn’t
be poisoned by it. In the same way, a person who has diabetes and needs to inject the hormone insulin. Insulin is a protein and if you were to eat it by mouth, the
digestive tract would break it down. That’s why people have to inject insulin to make it work.

So why don’t snakes poison
themselves given they have the same toxin in their bodies. It’s exactly the same reason if for instance your pancreas makes
a deadly cocktail of digestive juices which, if they got into your bloodstream, would
kill you very rapidly.

People who get a condition called acute pancreatitis do have a very high mortality rate. It does
kill people because they literally eat themselves from the inside out. The reason that they don’t do that normally when you’re healthy is because the enzymes are made in cells in an inactive state.

They’re exported from the cell into a duct which is
lined with specially protecting cells that
stop it going back in to the body’s own tissues and do any damage.
The only place it can go is down the duct and then out
into the digestive tract.

If you put that into the context of the snake, it’s got a gland which knows how to make the proteins in the venom. They get exported into this duct which is a special holding
bay, protected from the venom.
It can’t go back the wrong way. When the snake bites
you there are tiny muscle cells around those ducts and it squirts the venom down the fang (there’s a duct in there) and in to
the holes that the teeth have made in you.

That’s why the snake doesn’t die from its
own venom because it keeps it in a specially adapted part of the body so it can’t get into the circulation.

Source: www.sciencezone12..com
Re: Why Snakes Don't Die Of Their Venom by 3kay945(m): 12:18am On Aug 26, 2015
Cool, I hate snakes.
Re: Why Snakes Don't Die Of Their Venom by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 26, 2015
Nice to know.

I've always wondered the same thing too.
Re: Why Snakes Don't Die Of Their Venom by Dekatron(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
I hate snakes

(1) (Reply)

HTC Photos Recovery For Mac: Recover Photos From HTC One On Mac / Locky Ransomware: How To Protect Yourself / Forget Apple Vs The Fbi: Whatsapp Just Switched On Encryption For A Billion Pple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.