Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:59 AM

Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets (2146 Views)

N.land Auto Dealers And Ridiculous Prices For Nigerian Used Cars / What Are The Pros, Cons And Costs Of Buying Salvaged Cars? / KNOW YOUR VEHICLE-STOLEN OR SALVAGED? CAVEAT EMPTOR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by viperman: 12:20am On Mar 30, 2009
Ok so over the while now we've been having so many VIN officers on here which i'm very appreciative of; But i want tos say something:

POTENTIAL BUYERS!, Please stop calling dealers to get you cars almost 10years old, and expecting these cars to still have mileages below 50-70000KM.
Or calling dealers to get you cars for ridiculous prices. We already are doing our best on here to beat the prices out there in the market by a good margin, so stop pushing us to the limit. we don't steal these vehicles for crying out loud.
For example, someone calls you asking for a 2004-2005 Honda accord EX full option with all the works.I then get one for this client as soon as possble, only for him to say his budget is 1.6M and that my price is too much at 1.9M( At this current exchange rate with the dollar!!!). This is not just one nairalander calling with this same attitude ,
I don't know, but i think there needs to be an attitude change both from dealers and buyers. If you want a car at a ridiculous rate don't complain if you're given a salvaged vehicle as that's the best you can get with such WONDERFUL BUDGETS!
You can't kill godzilla with a pebble, yes david killed goliath with a stone, but goliath wasn't godzilla.
If you want the best, be prepared to spend for it.
Stop calling dealers asking that you want, for exampli: a 2008 honda accord and you've got 2M for it, for goodness sakes we don't manufacture these cars.
Now on the issue of salvaged titles e.t.c I think soemthing has to be made clear here:
Some dealers here sell for people who import, some others import and sell themselves, some others just sell for people who aren't internet savvy, but need to display their cars on here. So when a dealer posts a car with the VIN, and one of our VIN-police on here checks it out and discovers it's been salvaged, just don't go about insulting the dealer/poster. You either buy or you ignore that car until you see one posted that you want to buy.
Some dealers have the time to check the VINs before posting(sometimes i personally do that, sometimes i don't depending on how busy i am) others don't.

In addendum, we all need to understand that there are different degrees of salvaged titles.
Some are total write offs, some are serious damages, while others are minors.
Inspired and co might be able to explain this further as i've said my two cents and anyone willing to have a say on this should, CONTRUCTIVELY I MUST ADD.

Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by viperman: 12:22am On Mar 30, 2009
FORGIVE MY TYPO, if any, it was because i was on d line between consciousness and sleep when typing this. smiley
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Brosgaby: 12:40am On Mar 30, 2009
This is nothing short of true at all. Insurance will brand some title salvage for such a trivial issue as bumper missing but because the owner want to claim his money back so the title will become salvage title or even worst a Junk title which could not be register in the USA again that is if it's Junk title.
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by showbobo(m): 1:59am On Mar 30, 2009
Well Noted undecided
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by promise72(m): 2:41am On Mar 30, 2009
viperman:

Ok so over the while now we've been having so many VIN officers on here which i'm very appreciative of; But i want tos say something:

POTENTIAL BUYERS!, Please stop calling dealers to get you cars almost 10years old, and expecting these cars to still have mileages below 50-70000KM.
Or calling dealers to get you cars for ridiculous prices. We already are doing our best on here to beat the prices out there in the market by a good margin, so stop pushing us to the limit. we don't steal these vehicles for crying out loud.
For example, someone calls you asking for a 2004-2005 Honda accord EX full option with all the works.I then get one for this client as soon as possble, only for him to say his budget is 1.6M and that my price is too much at 1.9M( At this current exchange rate with the dollar!!!). This is not just one nairalander calling with this same attitude ,
I don't know, but i think there needs to be an attitude change both from dealers and buyers. If you want a car at a ridiculous rate don't complain if you're given a salvaged vehicle as that's the best you can get with such WONDERFUL BUDGETS!
You can't kill godzilla with a pebble, yes david killed goliath with a stone, but goliath wasn't godzilla.
Stop calling dealers asking that you want, for exampli: a 2008 honda accord and you've got 2M for it, for goodness sakes we don't manufacture these cars.
Now on the issue of salvaged titles e.t.c I think soemthing has to be made clear here:
Some dealers here sell for people who import, some others import and sell themselves, some others just sell for people who aren't internet savvy, but need to display their cars on here. So when a dealer posts a car with the VIN, and one of our VIN-police on here checks it out and discovers it's been salvaged, just don't go about insulting the dealer/poster. You either buy or you ignore that car until you see one posted that you want to buy.
Some dealers have the time to check the VINs before posting(sometimes i personally do that, sometimes i don't depending on how busy i am) others don't.

In addendum, we all need to understand that there are different degrees of salvaged titles.
Inspired and co might be able to explain this further as i've said my two cents and anyone willing to have a say on this should, CONTRUCTIVELY I MUST ADD.

Damn! shocked A coke and a smile grin Sofry sofry o! cheesy
I feel ur pain!
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by tolu10: 4:34am On Mar 30, 2009
Also understand that car manufacturers are investors in Carfax and Autocheck.

Promise72. I can tell that you are very experineced in the Automobile Business.

I also appreciate that you are bringing to light the fact that a lot of people are not serious with their inquiries about cars posted.

They inquiries are illegitimate and unfounded.

Then you have the illegitimate callers. They just want to feel like they called someone to buy a car knowing fully well they can't even but a okada bike, not

to even mention car.

Some of their fears are valid because some salvaged cars may not be road worthy.But it is designed to discourage people from reapiring their cars and

making them buy a new one on credit.Part of the excessive spending that led to the credit crunch. This benefits these companies tremendously, but adds to the debst of the consumers.

I have seen cars branded as salvage that are in better operational condition than, non salvage cars.

I believe that if a car is salvaged the seller should inform the buyers and let them decide. In fact buyers can still conduct their VIN check. The report should

clue you in as to the level of damage the vehicle sustained.
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by rasmur5: 4:52am On Mar 30, 2009
As much as possible, buyers should try to get independent history checks from third parties.

As we have seen in the past, a seller providing the report can doctor it by altering odometer figures on Carfax and it's even possible to delete whole sections of the report and type in favorable information.
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Carshopper(m): 9:03am On Mar 30, 2009
@VIPERMAN

MEN I LIKE YOUR WORDS, YOU KNOW I ALSO WANTED TO TALK ABOUT THIS BUT YOU KNOW SAY PPLE DEY ALWAYS WATCH AS I DEY TYPE, FUNNY EVEN IF YOU GIVE THEM CLEAN TITLE CARS AT A GREAT PRICE, FAR BELOW MARKET PRICE DEM GO STILL PRICE AM TO ONE FUNNY AMOUNT, I KNOW SAY DEM GO SHOUT NOW grin cheesy , BUT IT IS THE TRUTH, I BELIEVE FOR POTENTIAL BUYERS ARMED WITH THE CARFAX REPORT AND ALSO ARMED WITH AN EXPERIENCED AUTO MECH YOU CAN ALWAYS INSPECT THE SAID SALVAGED CARS AND DISCUSS PRICE WITH THE SELLER/DEALER. I HAVE SEEN CARS CLASSIFIED AS SALVAGED BUT HONESTLY THE TITLE MAY JUST BE AS A RESULT OF A SIDE IMPACT OR AN IMPACT ON ONE OF THE DOORS, WHICH I BELIEVE IS NOT BAD IF YOU GETTING THE PRODUCT AT A GUD PRICE AND THE SELLER HAS MADE ALL THINGS ABOUT THE CAR KNOWN TO YOU, WITH THAT SAID, I AGREE WITH VIPERMAN AS TO A BUYER REQUESTING A CAR AT A CRAZY PRICE, DO YOU THINK WE STEAL THIS CARS , EVEN WHEN PRICE + COMMISSION grin cheesy IS GIVEN AT A GUD PRICE, WHAT WOULD I CALL A GUD PRICE, WHEN YOU CHECK THE MARKET PRICES YOU WOULD SEE THAT PRICES ON NAIRALAND ARE TOO GUD TO BE TRUE, I WILL STATE A FEW

MARYLAND/OPEBI SELL A CAMRY 2007 AT PRICE RANGING FROM 3.7 - 4.8MIL

MY CO-PARTNERS AFFORDABLE MOTORS AND PHILLY & MOOL LOCATED AT OPEBI SELL A 2007 HONDA ACCORD AT 3.2MILLION (YES MOST CARS ESP THOSE I ADVERTISE WITH FREE CAR REG AND 6MONTHS/1YEAR SERVICE ARE GOTTEN FROM THEM grin )

SO I BELIEVE EVERY ONE SHOULD BE FAIR AND RIGHT , DO NOT JUST INSULT US WHEN IT COMES TO CERTAIN THINGS FROM CARFAX CUS WE NO DEY INSULT YOU WHEN YOU PRICE , grin cheesy

WITH THAT SAID I NEED A 2004 HONDA ACCORD LEATHER SEATS BUDGET IS 2MILLION PLS NOTE THE BUYER WANTS ONE WITH A CLEAN TITLE CUS IT IS FOR , grin
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by ebuwa101(m): 12:45pm On Mar 30, 2009
IN THREE WORDS, GOD BLESS YOU
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by carlinks: 2:34pm On Mar 30, 2009
carshopper and viperman, i feel una, true talk

if not for nairaland, how many buyers dey go western avenue or bagger say dem wan check VIN first before dem buy if dem no go pursue them, buyers even buy worse cars than are placed for sale by those dealers are far higher prices than what we give them on niaraland, tell me what those dealers dont do from odometer roll back to respraying of cars and even some more shaddy things i dont want to mention, i believe all dealers on this site can do better though smiley
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Igwe9(m): 2:45pm On Mar 30, 2009
I no understand, i'd say that everybody wants to maximize his/her profit and bargain to the minimal attenable price as in for the seller and the buyer resp.
If one asks you for a low budget car,
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Igwe9(m): 2:50pm On Mar 30, 2009
In absence of modify button, here we go . . . . . provide him/her with the two if available, but don't fail to educate him/her on the implication on going for the either of them.
Simple!

Igwe
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by emeshot: 3:25pm On Mar 30, 2009
well done viper. smiley
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by jazzsoul: 4:19pm On Mar 30, 2009
Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets
« on: Today at 12:20:55 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Viperman, odometer rollback is a crime no matter how you attempt to rationalize it. You seem to imply that since customers are unrealistic in expecting 10 year old cars to have low miles, that is why dealers resort to odometer rollbacks. Why should your customers unrealistic expextattions lead you to commit a crime for which you will be sent to prison if you were in North America?
This is all about truth in advertising. Tell potential customers the true mileage, year and condition of your cars and set your price accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with a salvage title as long as the car has been repaired by a competent mechanic and certified road worthy by a competent jurisdiction. Insurance companies in America usually declare a car a total loss(salvage) based on a business case. That is, the cost to fix the car is more than it is worth. This does not mean that the car cannot be repaired by an independent and put back on the road after the required procedure.

It is not an excuse that you do not know the product you are selling because you are not the original importer. If you are a middleman, you have a responsibility to find out the truth about a car you are selling since you stand to make a commission on the sale. The potential buyer does not the owner and your name and reputation are on the line.
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 30, 2009
It's called DUE DILIGENCE. Being a middleman is no excuse, you put your name and reputation out there when you sell. If you are not sure about the vehicle history, make concerted efforts to get it - even Nigerian banks issue credit cards. All you need to obtain Carfax or Autocheck is a credit card, for crying out loud. If you proclaim yourself to be in the business of selling cars, consider cost of obtaining the report part of your business expenses. It's approx USD55 for unlimited reports for 30 days. If you can't/won't get the history, you can indicate that on your advert but be ready to experience buyers angst - not fair, but that's life.

Whether you are a professional middleman or dealer is beside the point, if you claim to be a professional whatsoever then the least you can do to build and protect your name is know your product. Being a middleman is no excuse for odometer rollbacks, nobody knows the lagbaja or tamedu who gave you the car, you are it!!

There continues to be a market for salvage vehicles, ask for the accident report prior to importation as that will detail what went on. The key to selling salvaged vehicles is to reflect their history/status in their price. A salvage vehicle could be a simple fender bender or it could be a lot worse. Salvage get level!!!
cool cool cool
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Carshopper(m): 7:31pm On Mar 30, 2009
wwheelz:

It's called DUE DILIGENCE. Being a middleman is no excuse, you put your name and reputation out there when you sell. If you are not sure about the vehicle history, make concerted efforts to get it - even Nigerian banks issue credit cards. All you need to obtain Carfax or Autocheck is a credit card, for crying out loud. If you proclaim yourself to be in the business of selling cars, consider cost of obtaining the report part of your business expenses. It's approx USD55 for unlimited reports for 30 days. If you can't/won't get the history, you can indicate that on your advert but be ready to experience buyers angst - not fair, but that's life.

Whether you are a professional middleman or dealer is beside the point, if you claim to be a professional whatsoever then the least you can do to build and protect your name is know your product. Being a middleman is no excuse for odometer rollbacks, nobody knows the lagbaja or tamedu who gave you the car, you are it!!

There continues to be a market for salvage vehicles, ask for the accident report prior to importation as that will detail what went on. The key to selling salvaged vehicles is to reflect their history/status in their price. A salvage vehicle could be a simple fender bender or it could be a lot worse. Salvage get level!!!
cool cool cool

i would challenge my friend on some points he raised, i will flag them in red

number one red flag - selling on nairaland the rules of engagement says post your vin for potential buyers, even the moderator i blieve has talked about this. so it is not compulsory i make efforts to get it, but wherein i do all gud it is a plus to my reputation.Even in the US carfax reports are not given, but the vin numbers are, if you nid to get the report you go and pay for it, simple, grin cheesy

second red flag, not all cards issued by banks in nigeria are accepted worldwide

now we have shouted upon on this, from the day i came on nairaland to the day i would leave, i would kip saying it , if a seller inputs his vin he should be given a right of way, cause the rules says advertise with your vin and damn he has done that, if by chance the car does not check out leave the seller and his potential buyer if any, move on, there are many ads coming up each moment and day, wherein the seller gives you a follow detail of the car history. problems and all . it is still left to the POTENTIAL buyer (note KEYWORD - POTENTIAL) to make his arguments and observations known, yes you all can contribute, but always be constructive, if there were laws backing certains things we would not be experiencing high infux of salvaged or bad cars or the cars would have gone thru a routine of checks to make sure it is road worthy, do we knw blame the govt or the importers of such , NO we dont , WE MOVE ONE TO ANOTHER PAGE.

THANKS FOR READING THRU

WWHEELZ MY FRIEND, I LIKE WHAT YOU WROTE OOO, BUT, wink cheesy grin, YOU KNOW SAY WE HAVE LOVE FOR EACH OTHER grin
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Nobody: 9:10pm On Mar 30, 2009
Already addressed the question of Naija dealers ordering Carfax, this is from my conversation with Jesarmy yesterday on the locked thread:

Quote from: Jesarmy on Today at 01:12:01 AM
@wwheelz,
I am not sure if a naija based car seller can register an account with carfax,I am talking zipcode and a us based address,let me know if you have an information regarding this.

In that case, I stand corrected. So, for the Naija-based car dealers, what's the way forward? My suggestion above was:

If you can't/won't get the history, you can indicate that on your advert but be ready to experience buyers angst - not fair, but that's life.
i.e buyers may automatically assume the worst. Please understand me clearly, I'm not saying (and have never said) don't sell salvaged vehicles. Most budgets for purchase on this site are afterall, in the salvaged car region because money is hard to come by for the average Nigerian. All I'm saying to sellers is know your product by checking the history. "I didn't know" is only good for one try, not multiple incidents. It's simply about taking ownership.

Having said that, I'm sure most people would agree that you're not into wayo yourself. As you said (or maybe it was someone else), a seller can make a mistake. The frequency of occurence is the issue, two times is one too many but three, four, five??

Sorry carshopper, the rest of your post is gibberish to me cool cool cool

As I've stated on numerous occasions, I believe in the right of every person to make a honest living. I have also said in the past that I have no stomach for magomago. All the best with your clean business but I still have my eyes on you sha grin grin grin grin
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Nobody: 9:12pm On Mar 30, 2009
This is the locked thread I referred to above:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-254465.32.html#msg3660695
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Igwe9(m): 9:26pm On Mar 30, 2009
I see no case here, sell whatever car you want as long as it's well categorized else sheriff will help you do that,
Oops . . . .  How interesting would one be selling sick fowl at home and still have the guts to challenge it. . .  Egbeeee!!!(Gunfire) grin grin grin grin
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by rebony(f): 8:41am On Mar 31, 2009
Someone is just trying to create attention to himself!

i thought that over and over and over again this issue of salvage had been discussed on this forum

please wwheelz define the term "Salvage Title","Total Loss"

cause it seems you just going round and round on one issue,when there is no issue!

LETS PUT THINGS STRAIGHT,IF A DEALER PROVIDES A VIN ON A CAR HE/SHE WANTS TO SELLER,THNE THAT ALONE IS HONESTY.

The rules on this forum is simple and does not need an explanation, ALL POSTS SHOULD COME WITH A VIN!

AND IF THAT IS DONE THEN WHATS THE NOISE FOR

Is there a case of "WAYO" if VIN is provided?

If a buyer needs a car the best he can do is to get quotes/vin reports from as many dealers as he wants,and then make his/her choice.

Even in the US salvage cars are not sold at the same price,even if it is rolled over!!!

For a buyer you have to be able to negotiate,haggle,price and get a good deal if you think the car is not worth up to the said amount.

How many dealers here import their own cars personally??most of the dealers here if not all sell from the "street" that is not wrong,but i agree with you a little Mr wwheelz,negligence is not an excuse,if you go to the pains of taking pictures and also the agony of uploading the pics,then try go through putting up a report just to show a difference.Be a proper SALESMAN! be innovative and provide full report for your clients that makes a Difference! But lets not castigate anyone or try to make a seller look dubious,lets be constructive and try to write our words out in a manner that does not look as if we are trying to make good look bad and bad look worse.

Thanks
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by viperman: 11:24am On Mar 31, 2009
rebony:

Someone is just trying to create attention to himself!

i thought that over and over and over again this issue of salvage had been discussed on this forum

I guess that's what you do regularly to stay alive, Fortunately for me, we're not of the same kind smiley

rebony:

please wwheelz define the term "Salvage Title","Total Loss"

cause it seems you just going round and round on one issue,when there is no issue!

LETS PUT THINGS STRAIGHT,IF A DEALER PROVIDES A VIN ON A CAR HE/SHE WANTS TO SELLER,THNE THAT ALONE IS HONESTY.

The rules on this forum is simple and does not need an explanation, ALL POSTS SHOULD COME WITH A VIN!

AND IF THAT IS DONE THEN WHATS THE NOISE FOR

Is there a case of "WAYO" if VIN is provided?

If a buyer needs a car the best he can do is to get quotes/vin reports from as many dealers as he wants,and then make his/her choice.

Even in the US salvage cars are not sold at the same price,even if it is rolled over!!!

You should have stopped right here as you met a middle point between the two 'parties' involved in this issue,

rebony:

For a buyer you have to be able to negotiate,haggle,price and get a good deal if you think the car is not worth up to the said amount.

When you're negotiating for a commodity in the market place do and have the following in mind when pricing:

1. The seller bought that property with money and it's not stolen.
2. Find the current going worth(price range) of that commodity in the market place.
, you can add more
These will help you, as a buyer, sound reasonable when pricing with the seller, and this applies not only to the car purchasing, but to everything that involves buying & selling.

rebony:

How many dealers here import their own cars personally??most of the dealers here if not all sell from the "street" that is not wrong,but i agree with you a little Mr wwheelz,negligence is not an excuse,if you go to the pains of taking pictures and also the agony of uploading the pics,then try go through putting up a report just to show a difference.Be a proper SALESMAN! be innovative and provide full report for your clients that makes a Difference! But lets not castigate anyone or try to make a seller look dubious,lets be constructive and try to write our words out in a manner that does not look as if we are trying to make good look bad and bad look worse.

Thanks

Some of us check these vins before we post them. And even if we see that they're salvaged cars we still post them as we would have test driven them and ensured they drive and sound well. We then post the VIN as requested and leave the decision to the buyer. it's as simple as that.
That doesn't mean you'd now start pricing , for instance a non nigerian used 2005 honda accord car at half the price of a nigerian used one.
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by ziontrain: 1:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
Nairalanders,

I thought we have settled this issue of salvaged cars and VIN number a while ago. Anyway, if you are a dealer and don't have access to register with CARFAX or Autocheck for VIN number, you can easily post your VIN on the forum here and one of our many helpful dealers on nairaland will help you check it out for FREE. It's as simple as that. If you don't want potential customers to ask for VIN number then maybe this forum is not the best place to advertise your car. The internet has given people access to a lot of information that they otherwise will not have.

I do understand @viperman's point that Naija dealers obtain cars from importers and it could sometimes be cumbersome checking every single VIN number but unfortunately, we all have to do our due diligence particularly because of access to information on the internet. Unfortunately, the internet is a two-edged sword, on the one hand, it makes information available and on the other it makes doing business a bit more cumbersome for those who intend marketing cars imported by someone else.
Re: Odometer Rollback: Salvaged Cars: And Ridiculous Budgets by Nobody: 5:20pm On Mar 31, 2009
Couldn't have said it better myself!!

For the alien that keeps panting after wwheelz - If you have something to say to wwheelz, go ahead and create a thread for that purpose so you can party all day and night. Don't forget to invite your friends and make sure the music is good. If you party hard enough, I might even post a reply to you tongue tongue tongue

Incredible, 24/7 Nairaland members. No work, no other interests, how absolutely pathetic sad sad sad

(1) (Reply)

Leaking ATF For Power Steering, Pls Help / What's This "Full Option" People Talk About? / Toyota Corolla 2004

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.