Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

Oracle 10g Newbies Forum - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Oracle 10g Newbies Forum (2122 Views)

Need A Direct Link To Download Oracle 10g Tutorial In Pdf / Oracle Development: Jdeveloper 10g – Java, J2ee, Ejb, Mvc, Xml - Overview / Oracle 10g On Solaris Os (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 10:53am On Mar 30, 2009
Hello Database Newbies, Gurus & Guruettes kiss

I'd like us to use this forum to educate ourselves & discuss issues

concerning ORACLE Database Administration. I know there's already a

thread on Oracle, but it's packed full of Professionals and some of

the discussion points are way beyond the scope for us Newbies. We

really need to pick up on the very basics of being a DBA like for

instance

- What's the job of a DBA like?

- Would you be going to work every morning to issue SELECT statements?

- Is it an interesting job besides high paying?

- What professional ethics are associated with being a DBA?

- What professional Certifications are attainable for ORACLE?

- Which are the best Institutions to study Oracle in Nigeria?

- What's the demand for Oracle DBA's like in Nigeria?

- What are the risks involved if something goes terribly wrong?

- , and so on!

Here we'll be seeking help and advice from those who have gone far,

and those possibly through with their Oracle Certification.

As time goes on, we'll also practice revising some codes and SQL

statements which may be familiar or strange to us (Professional help

required here pls).

Please, let's respond to this topic positively in our best interests.

Cheers
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 30, 2009
Having recently been certified, I can only answer ur question on certification, the Oracle DBA certification track are as follows in sequence SQL Fundamentals (recently introduced), Oracle certified Associate(OCA), Oracle Certified Professional(OCP) and then other expert tracks and of course the baba OCM.
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 12:04pm On Mar 30, 2009
@jabbok
Thanks man, I actually didn't know about the OCA & OCP till I was about a month old doing the course. I'm only hearing of OCM from you, thanks.

If I may ask, does the OCA expire after a while if you don't upgrade to OCP? (as is the case in CCNA & CCNP) undecided
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 30, 2009
Looking @ the letter that comes with the OCA certificate, there is no mention of expiration date. However, Oracle encourages that u always try to upgrade your knowledge in other to stay in touch n b updated
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by azum: 6:37pm On Mar 30, 2009
Kemjisuper:

Hello Database Newbies, Gurus & Guruettes kiss

I'd like us to use this forum to educate ourselves & discuss issues

concerning ORACLE Database Administration. I know there's already a

thread on Oracle, but it's packed full of Professionals and some of

the discussion points are way beyond the scope for us Newbies. We

really need to pick up on the very basics of being a DBA like for

instance

- What's the job of a DBA like?

The link below will help in addressing some of the tasks of a DBA.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/getting-started/coredba.html

- Would you be going to work every morning to issue SELECT statements?

Not necessary. Except when you're a Developer DBA, your use of SELECT statement is very minimal. Your use of this is restricted mainly for exploring the database for information. There is this wrong conception here that being a DBA is all about SQL and PL/SQL. Please there is far more to being a DBA than knowing PL/SQL and SQL.

- Is it an interesting job besides high paying?

It a fun job. Being in it for a few years now and cant see myself giving it up for anything.

- What professional ethics are associated with being a DBA?

This is one of those unwritten rules of being a DBA. As a DBA you have access to sensitive information stored in the databases you manage. So as a DBA a high standard is expected. That is why these days in the US after 9/11 certain DBA jobs require not only being a US citizen but also having a Secret Clearance.

- What professional Certifications are attainable for ORACLE?

There are just so many. Here is a link to help you.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=141

- Which are the best Institutions to study Oracle in Nigeria?

Unfortunately cant help here. More or less a visitor to Nigeria these days.

- What's the demand for Oracle DBA's like in Nigeria?

I believe the demand for those with relevant experience is high. That i know for sure going by what my contacts on ground tell me. But like everywhere else in the world, there is this apathy towards beginner. Employers seem to forget there the guru of tomorrow needs somewhere today to cut his teeth.

- What are the risks involved if something goes terribly wrong?

Very high. That's why the job interviews are always very demanding. You tend to e grilled on practical aspect of the job that even the exams dont cover. Employers put a lot of emphasis on ability to demonstrate hands-on capability than anything else. I remember sometimes in 2004 when i nearly ran into trouble for refreshing a listener on one of my environments that the client can not afford to go down for a minute. It takes something like less than the twinkle of an eye lid for a listener to be refreshed. Believe me, i hardlylogged out of the listener command line when the phones starting ringing and questions were being asked.
But all in all, even the strictest employers give room for mistakes. Most Oracle shops are segregated. DBAs are assigned job and duties based on their experience and comfortability. In such environments, junior DBAs are expected to ask questions from the senior DBAs. But in some one DBA environments, then you have a jack of all DBA. Here the margin for error is very minimal. It is more important for a DBA to know where to look for solution to a problem than to claim to know it all. As such employers these days are incorporating questions on the Internet Search engines like google and metalink as part of drill for DBAs being interviewed for a job.
Generally though, Oracle database is so robust that the possibility of a DBA doing something grave is very minimal. Unless for someone masquerading as a DBA. What is common though i DBAs being slow or unable to solve a problem. For example while it may take an experience DBA a short time to recover and restore a lost control file, it may take a beginner DBA like forever to do it.
All the above being said, its easier for a DBA to be fired for incompetence just like in other jobs than for a DBA to be fired for doing something stupid. It will really take a stupid DBA to go and delete all his control file.

- , and so on!

Lastly, let me add here being a DBA requires a lot of hardwork and lots and lots of continous education. Thank God for the internet. There are so many resources out there for one to access. Nearly any possible problem a DBA will encounter must have been encountered by someone before. So to succeed as a DBA you need to know where to look for for help. This key. And be ready to read wide.

Please note what i have written here can be aid to be global in nature. I wish i can give more Nigerian specific situations.

Here we'll be seeking help and advice from those who have gone far,

and those possibly through with their Oracle Certification.

As time goes on, we'll also practice revising some codes and SQL

statements which may be familiar or strange to us (Professional help

required here pls).

Please, let's respond to this topic positively in our best interests.

Cheers

I hope you find my post useful. If you have further questions please dont fail to post them and time permitting i will try my utmost best to address your concerns.

Goodluck.
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 1:23pm On Mar 31, 2009
@Azum
Thanks a million, you've been most helpful - far beyond my expectations.

Reading your post has been really inspiring, re-assuring me that I'm on the right path for choosing to be an Oracle DBA. I'll keep chipping in one or two questions every now and then as I progress in my study, hoping you guys will still be around to assist us newbies.

Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by A40(m): 1:08am On Apr 01, 2009
The sore point is there are not that many DBA jobs in Nigeria its still a growing field definitely and the experience thing is another issue people expect you to have been on the job for donkey years so its still a bit hard out there for most of us that are still pretty new to it
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by azum: 1:09pm On Apr 01, 2009
A-40:

T[b]he sore point is there are not that many DBA jobs[/b] in Nigeria its still a growing field definitely and the experience thing is another issue people expect you to have been on the job for donkey years so its still a bit hard out there for most of us that are still pretty new to it

Are you really sure about the bold part. Yes it is a growing field just as it is anywhere in the world. Yes the experience matters. But believe me these two are not limited to Nigeria alone. But i dont quite think it is right to say there are not many DBA jobs in Nigeria. I know for sure that 5 of the following banks: GTB, First Bank, Union Bank, UBA, Intercontinental, Oceanic and Zenith run various versions of Oracle RDBMS server. Many of the second tier banks do. Infact i used to work for one of them before i left Nigeria in the late 1990s. Even as at then many other banks run Oracle environments.
I also know for a fact that all the major Oil companies including most of the local ones have complex Oracle environments requiring DBAs. Not to talk of most of the major companies in Nigeria. These i know for a fact. Then quite a number of State Govts have various ERPs running on the Oracle Database. Then there are various software houses all undertaking one Oracle project or the other.
Also note Oracle Corporation has a Nigerian office since 2001/2002: Oracle Corporation that i know of will not have an office in Nigeria unless it is revenue generating.
So definitely there are Oracle DBA jobs out there but the key thing is the experience. And then the issue of these banks and companies wanting to recruit Nigerians living abroad to come and work for them.
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 7:51pm On Apr 02, 2009
Hey! Just curious to know. If a DBA is leaving one company job for another, what processes are involved? Will all passwords known to him be changed? Must all previous backups of data by him be destroyed? Talk about walking out the door with sensitive info straight to a competing firm.
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by A40(m): 5:07am On Apr 03, 2009
azum:

Are you really sure about the bold part. Yes it is a growing field just as it is anywhere in the world. Yes the experience matters. But believe me these two are not limited to Nigeria alone. But i dont quite think it is right to say there are not many DBA jobs in Nigeria. I know for sure that 5 of the following banks: GTB, First Bank, Union Bank, UBA, Intercontinental, Oceanic and Zenith run various versions of Oracle RDBMS server. Many of the second tier banks do. Infact i used to work for one of them before i left Nigeria in the late 1990s. Even as at then many other banks run Oracle environments.
I also know for a fact that all the major Oil companies including most of the local ones have complex Oracle environments requiring DBAs. Not to talk of most of the major companies in Nigeria. These i know for a fact. Then quite a number of State Govts have various ERPs running on the Oracle Database. Then there are various software houses all undertaking one Oracle project or the other.
Also note Oracle Corporation has a Nigerian office since 2001/2002: Oracle Corporation that i know of will not have an office in Nigeria unless it is revenue generating.
So definitely there are Oracle DBA jobs out there but the key thing is the experience. And then the issue of these banks and companies wanting to recruit Nigerians living abroad to come and work for them.
Yeah i know but what i simply mean is there is quite a bit of a gulf when you compare the jobs available to the number of prospective DBA's around that's simply what i meant and the experience is a big issue especially for some of us just rounding up with university they all seem to demand for work experience when the new and upcoming DBA's don't even have any work to gain that experience from in the first place
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by LeMoor(m): 4:39pm On Apr 03, 2009
Azum,
You are right, a number of the large companies run Oracle in their environment. But with that said, it is not unsual to see DBA's sit tight at most jobs. When a company has more developmental/QA environments than production, then you have more fluidity in the DBA industry, but when what you have for the most part is production support, then most of the available jobs are taken up without new jobs been necessarily added.

I thinkthis might account for why there seems to be a dearth in Oracle DBA jobs in Nigeria
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 03, 2009
Le Moor:

Azum,
You are tight, a number of the large companies run Oracle in their environment. But with that said, it is not unsual to see DBA's sit tight at most jobs. When a company has more developmental/QA environments than production, then you have more fluidity in the DBA industry, but when what you have for the most part is production support, then most of the available jobs are taken up without new jobs been necessarily added.

I thinkthis might account for why there seems to be a dearth in Oracle DBA jobs in Nigeria

Thanks for the wonderful insight. I just found out now that I cannot really define a production or development database, and thus, understanding the difference. Please I will like to know the technical difference between the two Database enviroments. ?
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by LeMoor(m): 6:58pm On Apr 03, 2009
This distinction is not a very clear one and mostly differs from shop to shop.
The larger organisations make a clear distinction between the environments and it isnt uncommon to see very clear distinctions - Dev, Test, QA and Production.
Smaller shops (most likely because of budgetary constraints or sometimes business needs) will have the environments broken down in 2 usually (Test and Dev), and some will merge Test and QA environments and call that 'Staging'. Some organisationa have fully dedicated QA's that require they have trheir own environments for full testing, compliance, performance, and simulations before signing off on it and handing it over to production support.

Based on this, most environments that are project based, implementation (technology or otherwise) consider themselves to be developmental environments. In such environments, depending on the set up, you have a few developers working on e.g an application with a limited number of dba's supporting this development work. Typical tasks here are normally - refreshes (schema level or full database, data or structural etc), code release support, objects (synonyms, tables, indexes etc) creation etc., and performance tuning (of a differnt kind). By using this phrase, i meant the performance tuning is usually the pro-active type, to get the best out of the database, as opposed to the reactive type where you first hear about sub-optimal performance from a user that has cc'd half the organisation in a email. Also, this environments also have less user interface.

In production environment, all the dirty work has been done, and there is little or no room for errors (as databases are a very visible part of any org. if something goes wrong, everyone will know). This environments usually require off hours on-call support, and might require carrying a pager or whatever notification methods the organisation uses. This environments support the end user (end users could range from internal customers within the org to external users, also depending on the nature of the business.)

I am at work and i had to type this off from memory. The above is by no means authoritative or even near exhaustive, and is open to corrections, additions amendments or suggestions. I havent had time to really settle down to give an answer you might like, but feel free to ask any questions. I am sure others would answer them correctly and chip in. I am not very regular on the site, and only log in when I have the time and I remember,

Thanks
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 10:41am On Apr 04, 2009
@Le Moor
Very informative analysis there. I'd just like to ask (as a newbie) - Having completed the Oracle DBA courses, will I be qualified to operate in any of these mentioned sections of Database Admin (Development, Test, QA and production) or do you require specific skills for each?

In other words, if you don't mind, can you or anyone please breakdown those departments into their specific tasks for me? cry I'd appreciate! grin
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 12:36pm On Apr 20, 2009
Hey Guru's and Newbies - which of you can help me out in deciphering this Oracle code? I mean, an explanation of what exactly it's meant to achieve. Thanks

Here's the code:

SELECT first_name ||' '|| last_name ||', who was employed as '||job_id ||' has been granted a salary increase of '|| salary ||' . His New Salary is =N='|| (Salary + 10000) as "SALARY INCREASE" from employees where salary < 3000;
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Nobody: 1:18pm On Apr 20, 2009
Kemjisuper:

Hey Guru's and Newbies - which of you can help me out in deciphering this Oracle code? I mean, an explanation of what exactly it's meant to achieve. Thanks

Here's the code:

SELECT first_name ||' '|| last_name ||', who was employed as '||job_id ||' has been granted a salary increase of '|| salary ||' . His New Salary is =N='|| (Salary + 10000) as "SALARY INCREASE" from employees where salary < 3000;

Looking at the code, it simply gives a report generated from the employees table with the condition of where salary is less than 3000. However, the use of concatenation symbol (||) and sentences quoted in single quotes will give the report some decriptions/explanations as the quoted words will come out as literal strings against d variables. The "as" of course is used to give the long column a more understandable alais of "SALARY INCREASE"
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 1:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
jabbok:

Looking at the code, it simply gives a report generated from the employees table with the condition of where salary is less than 3000. However, the use of concatenation symbol (||) and sentences quoted in single quotes will give the report some decriptions/explanations as the quoted words will come out as literal strings against d variables. The "as" of course is used to give the long column a more understandable alais of "SALARY INCREASE"

Gee - Thanks a mil. It's like you guys have Oracle running in your veins. That's understandable now!

That means the code would likely read: "Kemjisuper, who was employed as IT_PROG has been granted a salary increase of 20,000"
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 20, 2009
Yes, something like that. But mind u that u'll have two different salary values (d original and the increment) in each row because u selected the original salary also from your code. Find below part of the actual results of your query/code:

SALARY INCREASE
Shelli Baida, who was employed as PU_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2900 . His New Salary is =N=12900
Sigal Tobias, who was employed as PU_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2800 . His New Salary is =N=12800
Guy Himuro, who was employed as PU_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2600 . His New Salary is =N=12600
Karen Colmenares, who was employed as PU_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2500 . His New Salary is =N=12500
Irene Mikkilineni, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2700 . His New Salary is =N=12700
James Landry, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2400 . His New Salary is =N=12400
Steven Markle, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2200 . His New Salary is =N=12200
Mozhe Atkinson, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2800 . His New Salary is =N=12800
James Marlow, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2500 . His New Salary is =N=12500
TJ Olson, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2100 . His New Salary is =N=12100
Michael Rogers, who was employed as ST_CLERK has been granted a salary increase of 2900 . His New Salary is =N=12900
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 3:12pm On Apr 23, 2009
Hey, can anyone help me straighten out this code cry I've been trying to figure out what's wrong and I left class in a bad mood cause of it. Could it be something I left out? undecided

Oracle Gurus, Pls help!

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW emp80
(name, minsal, maxsal, avgsal)
AS SELECT d.department_name, MIN(e.salary), MAX(e.salary), AVG(e.salary)
FROM employees e JOIN departments d
ON (e.department_id = d.department_id)
GROUP BY department_name;
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by dmz(m): 12:49am On May 06, 2009
I am interested in learning oracle, just dont no the best place to do it. NIIT, KarRox, etc. can someone help? must be on the island. thanks
Re: Oracle 10g Newbies Forum by Kemjisuper(m): 8:38am On May 06, 2009
Hey man,
Try NIIT. I'm not nased in Lag so I'm not sure if there's any on the island. They're ok though!

(1) (Reply)

Hesgoal Football Streaming Links / Full Stack Developer Needed / for beginner C++ Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.