Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,014 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:29 AM

Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State (3486 Views)

Breathtaking Pictures Of Osogbo, Osun At Night / The Proposed MKO Abiola International Airport Osogbo, Osun State (Photo) / Arik Air Aircraft Loses Engine Mid-Air Between Lagos & Jos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 26, 2015
By Akintola Omigbodun

I have made a few journeys recently between Lagos and Osogbo, Osun State. The outward leg of the journey from Lagos has been on the Lagos to Ibadan expressway, the Ibadan to Ile-Ife expressway up to Gbongan, Osun State and then on the Gbongan to Osogbo road while the return leg of the journey has been in the reverse order.

However, on one of the journeys, the outward leg was from Lagos to Ikorodu to Itoikin to Ijebu-Ode to Ijebu-Igbo.
The journey then continued on the road from Ijebu-Igbo to Orile-Owu, Osun State and this road passes through a rural area and a forest reserve with a bridge across the River Osun. The journey was next from Orile-Owu to Apomu where we joined the Ibadan to Ile-Ife expressway and then onwards to Ikire, Gbongan and finally the Gbongan to Osogbo road.

The alternative route was chosen such that one could avoid any possible traffic delays on the Lagos to Ibadan expressway. The journey on the alternative route took one hour more than the typical time spent on the primary route through the Lagos to Ibadan expressway. Once the reconstruction of the Lagos to Ibadan expressway commenced about two years ago, journey times between Lagos and Ibadan have been unpredictable and the typical time for completion of the journey between Lagos and Osogbo has been about five and a half hours.

However, in recent times the contractor, Julius Berger Nigeria, for the Lagos to Sagamu portion of the Lagos to Ibadan expressway has stopped all work on the project.

The contractor, Reynolds Construction Company, on the Sagamu to Ibadan portion has been carrying out limited earthworks, concrete works for drainage and the crash barriers at the central road edge, placement of crushed stone base and finishing the asphalt pavement on certain stretches.

The contractors’ operations have not given any cause for delays and with the excellent road surface on the completed stretches, the journey time between Lagos and Osogbo has been about four hours.

The alternative route has an excellent road surface from Mile 12, Lagos to the roundabout at the centre of Ikorodu as reconstruction of this road was completed last year. However, there are several failed portions of the Ikorodu to Itoikin road and the Itoikin to Ijebu-Ode road thus making for longer journey times on these roads. The current Ogun State Government has constructed a bridge at Ijebu-Ode across the Sagamu to Benin expressway making for safe passage into and out of Ijebu-Ode on the Itoikin to Ijebu-Ode road. The Ogun State Government also has urban renewal projects at Ijebu-Ode and Ijebu-Igbo and has completed or has under construction fly-over bridges to ease traffic movement at some road intersections in both towns.

I have brought these to our attention so that we accept that it is within our means to provide some fly-over bridges across the Lagos to Ibadan expressway especially at the Mowe/Redemption Camp stretch and closer to Lagos at the Ibafo/Arepo stretch.

Funding for the completion of the reconstruction works on the Lagos to Ibadan expressway appears uncertain at the moment. We must find the funds for building these bridges now bearing in mind that there are consequential costs if we do not build them.

The Federal Ministry of Works should bring to President Buhari’s attention the need to conclude all funding arrangements for the reconstruction of the Lagos to Ibadan expressway. In particular, an early decision should be made on whether tolls would be charged for the use after reconstruction of the expressway and on the levels of tolls to be charged.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/recent-journeys-between-lagos-and-osogbo-osun-state/
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 26, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 26, 2015
It is no longer news that the work started on the Lagos-Ibadan road by the GEJ govt 2 years ago has come to a halt under the new govt of "change". However, what I find strange is the deafening silence of the Lagos-Ibadan press on this matter.

Anyway, at least the writer confirmed that portions done under the last govt are excellent

2 Likes

Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Nairadean(m): 7:05am On Aug 26, 2015
Okk
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Standing5(m): 7:41am On Aug 26, 2015
Buhari is no sleeping President. He will act timely.
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by koboko69: 7:42am On Aug 26, 2015
Sincere9gerian:
It is no longer news that the work started on the Lagos-Ibadan road by the GEJ govt 2 years ago has come to a halt under the new govt of "change". However, what I find strange is the deafening silence of the Lagos-Ibadan press on this matter.

Anyway, at least the writer confirmed that portions done under the last govt are excellent

I talk am....bastardnista went on leave, hiding under another moniker PROVACATEUR....you av been asked to take over in acting capacity with your weak propaganda.

The same punch newspaper you people call compromised is what you are quoting now. PDP was there for 16 years 6 years for Jonathans government, but he only remembered the road 2 years ago. It has taking a whole 2 years to complete that road and its not yet complete. Jonathab Promised you 2nd Niger bridge several times. Only made concrete move few months to election. But u want Miracle performer Buhari to fix everything in 100 days...cos according to this article, I see praises of APC lead ogun state and the failure of PDP in the last 16 years. No immediate reason for the slow pace of work now....why not relax and stop wailing over nothing.

4 Likes

Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by enitiObanke(m): 7:45am On Aug 26, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Abeg no be dis same you be the writer in question?
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by sainty2k3(m): 7:53am On Aug 26, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Gej awarded contract for Lagos to Ibadan. so if work has stopped now whatever is the cause of that will be between GEJ and ministry of works. may be he didn't pay them as much as he claimed or someone has diverted the money like they did with the railway project fund

1 Like

Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Femolacaster(m): 8:02am On Aug 26, 2015
"FRESH AIR" crew have no option than to wail.
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Nobody: 8:56am On Aug 26, 2015
sainty2k3:

Gej awarded contract for Lagos to Ibadan. so if work has stopped now whatever is the cause of that will be between GEJ and ministry of works. may be he didn't pay them as much as he claimed or someone has diverted the money like they did with the railway project fund
Let me cure your ignorance. When you award major contracts like Lagos-Ibadan road, you pay the contractors as the work progresses. You don't give the contractor all the funds at once because that will be subject to abuse
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2015
koboko69:

I talk am....bastardnista went on leave, hiding under another moniker PROVACATEUR....you av been asked to take over in acting capacity with your weak propaganda.

The same punch newspaper you people call compromised is what you are quoting now. PDP was there for 16 years 6 years for Jonathans government, but he only remembered the road 2 years ago. It has taking a whole 2 years to complete that road and its not yet complete. Jonathab Promised you 2nd Niger bridge several times. Only made concrete move few months to election. But u want Miracle performer Buhari to fix everything in 100 days...cos according to this article, I see praises of APC lead ogun state and the failure of PDP in the last 16 years. No immediate reason for the slow pace of work now....why not relax and stop wailing over nothing.

Your masters have also been in charge of Lagos for 16 years, so tell us, have they fixed all the roads in Lagos?

GEJ was president for 5 years, and he started work on that road 2 years ago. Only tribal bigots and hypocrites will have an issue with that

Meanwhile, no one is asking your master to perform magic in 100 days. Rather we're asking why he can't do things as simple as CONTINUING the work he inherited from the last administration. Is that too much to ask of the dullardd?
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by koboko69: 9:05am On Aug 26, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Your masters have also been in charge of Lagos for 16 years, so tell us, have they fixed all the roads in Lagos?

GEJ was president for 5 years, and he started work on that road 2 years ago. Only tribal bigots and hypocrites will have an issue with that

Which PDP state have done better than lagos?

1 Like

Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by sainty2k3(m): 9:30am On Aug 26, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Let me cure your ignorance. When you award major contracts like Lagos-Ibadan road, you pay the contractors as the work progresses. You don't give the contractor all the funds at once because that will be subject to abuse
And from ur fake and incomplete knowledge how much ND when last did GEJ pay them
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by shaddoww: 9:45am On Aug 26, 2015
E b like sey dem want to tell us another story again oo
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by erunz(m): 10:13am On Aug 26, 2015
koboko69:

Which PDP state have done better than lagos?
AWKA IBOM IS BETTER THAN LAGOS, I KNOW YORUBAS HARDLY TRAVELS IF U SEE THE ONE'S THAT TRAVELS THEY WILL TELL U. LAGOS I OVERHYPED, 2 HOURS RAIN YOU WILL SEE THE REAL LAGOS.
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by koboko69: 10:24am On Aug 26, 2015
erunz:
AWKA IBOM IS BETTER THAN LAGOS, I KNOW YORUBAS HARDLY TRAVELS IF U SEE THE ONE'S THAT TRAVELS THEY WILL TELL U. LAGOS I OVERHYPED, 2 HOURS RAIN YOU WILL SEE THE REAL LAGOS.

Yes everybody is Yoruba once he is not igbo on NL
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by alaoeri: 10:30am On Aug 26, 2015
erunz:
Uyo township or the whole of Akwa Ibom state? Pls specify & let us take it from there.
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by seunny4lif(m): 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
grin grin
Re: Recent Journeys Between Lagos And Osogbo, Osun State by seunny4lif(m): 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2015
shocked shocked
erunz:

grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian In Serbia Or Neighbouring? Share Your Experience / Should He Move To Turkey Or Trinidad And Tobago / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.