Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,797 members, 7,806,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits (36786 Views)

Addax Plans $5bn Investment In Nigeria / How To Recharge From Various Banks In Nigeria / CBN Bans Deposits Into Domiciliary Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by warrior01: 7:39am On Aug 26, 2015
LAGOS — Indications emerged, yesterday, that banks in the country are now in a dilemma on what to do with an estimated $5 billion that is currently idle in their vaults.

1000-naira-notesBanks, it was gathered, have their vaults full of dollars that they do not know how to dispose them. It is funds they can neither lend to other banks nor sell to CBN, and the only option open to them is to sell.

Bank foreign exchange officers, who spoke to Vanguard. said that as of today, no bank will buy dollar from anybody. The source said it is not for any other thing but the fact that the banks have more than enough in their vaults.

The dollars being sold by banks for BTA and PTA, they say, have no direct relationship with the foreign reserve, hence the marginal increase in the nation’s external reserve despite continued downward trend in crude oil prices.

Vanguard gathered that banks have been pleading with the CBN to allow them sell off their dollar holdings when the apex bank could not supply enough dollars to fund customers’ request for BTA and PTA. It was learnt that when the CBN finally gave its nod recently, the banks immediately called on their customers and the public to buy Basic Travelling Allowance from designated banks.
Vanguard learned that there is more than $5 billion within the economy that are still in the hands of individuals outside the banking system.

It also learned from top bankers that before the general elections, there was scarcity of foreign exchange in the banking system and that banks were allocated about $30,000 for sale to customers that requested for BTA, which was grossly inadequate for most banks.

He said immediately after the election, banks started receiving dollar deposits in millions per day. This, he said, was done mainly by politicians, who got dollars during the electioneering campaign, which resulted in banks’ vaults stocked with dollar deposits that can neither be given out as loans nor transferred as it would be regarded as money laundering.

A bank customer, who used funds from a domiciliary account to support his ward’s visa application before the glut of the dollar in the system, said the bank made it clear it could not transfer the fund from the child’s domiciliary account to the parent’s account after the visa was secured.

The parent said the bank added that if the child travels abroad, the fund cannot be withdrawn by the parent even if the child had already signed a withdrawal form for the parent’s use when the money is needed.

Banks refuse to accept dollar cash deposits
Banks are now refusing to accept any form of dollar cash deposits and even insist that transfer from one domiciliary account to another in the same bank will be regarded as a form of cash deposit that regulators will frown at.

According to them, the rules are now very stringent and no bank wants to be on the wrong side of the law. In one of the banks, Vanguard learned that no local bank will undertake to do transfer for Nigerian parents whose wards are in schools abroad which accommodation are not directly linked to the school.

Nigerian banks, they added, will also not do a third party transfer. Unfortunately for many Nigerian parents whose wards are enrolled in masters’ programmes in the United Kingdom, many universities in the UK do not provide direct accommodation for second degree students and such students have to contract accommodation with property owners.

Situation worrisome

The situation has become worrisome to many as those who attempted to change huge sums at the unofficial market were given rates they considered ridiculous.

A roadside forex dealer told Vanguard that they do dollar exchange transactions for desperate Nigerians at the rate of between N198 and N203 to the dollar whereas they sell at N225 to the dollar.
Vanguard gathered that many parents with genuine need of transfer to pay for student accommodation in London are desperately looking for alternative means.

A parent, who spoke to Vanguard, said the new policy has created a new form of business for some Nigerians living abroad who are now exploiting the situation. He said that those who have pounds and are living in London sometimes do agree to help pay for student accommodation but ask for an exchange rate of N358 to the dollar.

It will be recalled that the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, recently proscribed acceptance of forex cash deposits by banks operating in the country.

Forex market now segmented into four layers
Reacting to the ban, Managing Director, Financial Derivatives Company Limited (FDC), Mr. Bismarck Rewane, in his monthly economic news and views entitled, “Market versus Economy,” presented at the Lagos Business School’s executive breakfast meeting, said: “The forex market is now segmented into four layers. The differential between the segments will widen as the ability to move between segments becomes more difficult and risky.

“The desperation for electronic dollars will push that market to N250. Cash dollars will be at N240. The magnitude of the currency value adjustment will be dependent on when the subsidy is removed.”
He listed them to include the interbank foreign exchange market (IFEM), the BDC rate, rate at which exchange proceeds are converted into Naira and electronic transfer rate.

He said: “The electronic transfer rate and the cash rate were the same before. But now, banks will not accept dollar cash again. When I get dollars, for me to transfer it is going to be too costly.”

The CBN in an advertorial in several newspapers had, however, reiterated that all legitimate requests for foreign currency for eligible transactions, normally referred to as “invisibles,” such as remittances for school fees, student maintenance allowances, BTA, PTA, medical and other eligible transactions, shall be fully met at the official/interbank exchange rate. A statement from the CBN stated that already all the legitimate demands for such transactions through recognised channels have been fully met by CBN.

According to the statement, “the CBN hereby directs all authorised dealers in foreign exchange in Nigeria to henceforth treat as top priority all legitimate demand for foreign exchange for eligible transactions.

“The CBN once again advises individuals that wish to source foreign currency for such eligible transactions to approach their banks with their legitimate demand as the CBN has made adequate provisions of foreign currency for all such legitimate and eligible purposes.

“Furthermore, holders of Naira-denominated debit and credit cards shall continue to have access to the use of their cards at ATM machines in any part of the world but subject to the annual limit of $50,000. ATM withdrawals shall continue to be a maximum of $300 per day.”

In a related development, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc (GTBank), informed its customers of its decision to reduce the daily international spending limit on their Naira MasterCard to $300.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/banks-in-dilemma-over-idle-5bn-deposits/#sthash.npoK1F5t.dpuf

3 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 26, 2015
THESE FIGURES SCARES ME....

MISNOMER EVERYWHERE

2 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by ignis: 7:42am On Aug 26, 2015
k

1 Like

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Imortal001: 7:47am On Aug 26, 2015
Ok
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by resty4(m): 7:51am On Aug 26, 2015
Within konsy poor man in ds mata

21 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by madridguy(m): 7:52am On Aug 26, 2015
Lol.
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by dejt4u(m): 7:53am On Aug 26, 2015
they cn use it for xmas gifts for their customers.. Rubbish

5 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by naijaclinic: 7:56am On Aug 26, 2015
Anyone with issues on where to deposit his dollars should call me. I have a vault in my backyard.

24 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by DaGC(m): 8:03am On Aug 26, 2015
I feel sorry for the foreign students and international business enterprises.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 26, 2015
5 Billion Dollars?? That is a lotta dough!
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by nnachukz(m): 8:16am On Aug 26, 2015
$5b that is money. Punching my calculator now.

1 Like

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by kokoA(m): 8:41am On Aug 26, 2015
Wetin consine me consine dis kind story undecided I hustle in naira and kobo..

7 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by kliq(m): 9:09am On Aug 26, 2015
Transfer to my account cool
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by koladebrainiac(m): 9:09am On Aug 26, 2015
UR

SIMPLE CALL ROBBERS TO COME AND STEAL IT AND INSURANCE WOULD PAY FOR IT...

JUST KIDDING OOO

7 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Nobody: 9:09am On Aug 26, 2015
I honestly hope these policies have been week thought of. The only thing we feel is the strain on our spendings.

Me I don't know too much economics but Emefiele should be a guru

3 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by fpeter(f): 9:10am On Aug 26, 2015
let them give me some cash wink
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by jimfend: 9:10am On Aug 26, 2015
Hmnnn
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 26, 2015
I can help them put the money to a good use... Let me have access to it smiley
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by jamb20s: 9:10am On Aug 26, 2015
[img]http://exc.10khits.com/surf?id=125046&token=2551fa95f0e59617812fff67927af4fa[/img]

Download any youtube videos directly to your android phone , download videocrat at www.videocrat.com
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Ephemmm: 9:11am On Aug 26, 2015
ok
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Sylvarresta(m): 9:12am On Aug 26, 2015
And we go de shout say we no get money for country, abeg transfer the money to my acct asap....thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by HomoSapiien: 9:13am On Aug 26, 2015
They should please give me atleast 5%
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by MistaHumble(m): 9:14am On Aug 26, 2015
Let them give me just small to use for my wedding ooo

1 Like

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by tunergy(m): 9:15am On Aug 26, 2015
Please just Read the BODY LANGUAGE

1 Like

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by vickylala239: 9:16am On Aug 26, 2015
Story for the gods

6 Likes

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Ybnm4life(m): 9:16am On Aug 26, 2015
They should just forward it to my account if the money is generating such problem Because

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by bukynkwuenu: 9:18am On Aug 26, 2015
kai...$5bn...
n hunger dey wire me diz morning
Re: Banks In Dilemma Over Idle $5bn Deposits by Louislewis: 9:19am On Aug 26, 2015
[size=16pt]If dem nor no wetin dem go use dem do, make dem kuku dey replace naira inside ATM machine wit d dollars. Simple![/size]

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Signs That You Would Financially Successful / How Do I Recover My Money From Union Bank? / 1 - Deleted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.