Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:14 AM

Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria (42268 Views)

4 Popular Cultural Festivals In Africa / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates Alafere, Oya & Ijugbe Festivals (Photos) / 5 Largest Annual Festivals In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by andreernest28(m): 6:27pm On Aug 26, 2015
2. SHARO/SHADI FESTIVAL

Each participant is flogged by another and they are expected to endure the pain for as long as the exercise lasts, to demonstrate and prove their manhood. However, not all the young men are able to endure the excruciating pain; which at times leaves permanent scars on their bodies. Those who do endure to the end are certified mature and free to choose a girl to marry.
..............This is the most interesting of all,i just pity who will be the last man standing.all becos of one woman,someone you don't know from Adam.if i am to am to aparticipatr in dis kind of festiva,only God knows people will will go home or rather leave the stage becos of me.
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 26, 2015
stinggy:

I thought you wouldn't include this.
God save you grin

The annual festival is on, for those that wanna attend.
*gives him a side-eye* undecided
I jes dey luk yhu angry
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by maluyi77(m): 6:37pm On Aug 26, 2015
and u didn't include Igue festival, incomplete list
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 26, 2015
New yam festival is the popular one here
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by rhames(m): 6:44pm On Aug 26, 2015
Mariecakes:
SHARO/SHADI FESTIVAL cheesy all young men on Nairaland should participate grin grin grin

make you volunteer first and the rest of us go run from your back. After you sir.
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by trapQ: 6:46pm On Aug 26, 2015
the writer listed the most famous ones. you should appreciate peoples efforts. a festival need not have historical values. calabar festival is also a source of revenue to the state too. tho very minimal.moreover
scholes0:
* There is nothing like Onitsha Ivory festival, the proper name is "OFALA"

* Where is the IGUE festival of the Benin/Edo people?

* You didn't even pick at least ONE of the beautiful DURBARS from the northern emirates, and you are picking some random silly carnival from Calabar, that has no historical value....

* There is nothing like Rivers "water festival", what they have is boat "REGATTA", and even the picture is not of the event, but an Asian event.

* New Yam festival is NOT an Igbo festival, various groups in Nigeria celebrate new yam festival. Yorubas call it "IJESU", Igbos call it 'IRIJI"

* The picture of the Sharo/Shadi festival is obviously a picture of something else. See a picture of REAL Nigerian Fulanis celebrating sharo below:

* Where is the "IGOGO" Festival of Owo people? it is very popular, but you omitted it. I know you copied directly from wikipedia, and IGOGO was there.

* Where is the ''OLOJO" Festival, of the people of Ile-Ife? That can be pardoned sha, since it is connected to the Ogun festival.
read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olojo_festival
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:49pm On Aug 26, 2015
trapQ:
the writer listed the most famous ones. you should appreciate peoples efforts. a festival need not have historical values. calabar festival is also a source of revenue to the state too. tho very minimal.moreover
If I hear.
The cross River state government probably spends more oney organizing that soul lacking meaningless event and inviting foreign guests, than it earns from it. And who told you all the festivals on that list are famous, or the most famous?

1 Like

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by akudinaobi(m): 6:51pm On Aug 26, 2015
scholes0:
* There is nothing like Onitsha Ivory festival, the proper name is "OFALA"

* Where is the IGUE festival of the Benin/Edo people?

* You didn't even pick at least ONE of the beautiful DURBARS from the northern emirates, and you are picking some random silly carnival from Calabar, that has no historical value....

* There is nothing like Rivers "water festival", what they have is boat "REGATTA", and even the picture is not of the event, but an Asian event.

* New Yam festival is NOT an Igbo festival, various groups in Nigeria celebrate new yam festival. Yorubas call it "IJESU", Igbos call it 'IRIJI"

* The picture of the Sharo/Shadi festival is obviously a picture of something else. See a picture of REAL Nigerian Fulanis celebrating sharo below:

* Where is the "IGOGO" Festival of Owo people? it is very popular, but you omitted it. I know you copied directly from wikipedia, and IGOGO was there.

* Where is the ''OLOJO" Festival, of the people of Ile-Ife? That can be pardoned sha, since it is connected to the Ogun festival.
read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olojo_festival
You are foolish
Onitsha has ivory festival not ofala , ofala is meant for the obi to mark his happiness or whatever to his throne each year sometimes they double the year because of the distance of their sons and daughters that are in diaspora to prepare well for it ,it sopouse to be yearly

And if the poster happens to mention many festivals here the page won't contain it
In anambra alone we have
Afia uli (nnewi)
Nri day (nri)
Imu awka (awka)
Ede aro (abagana)
Eri day (aguleri)
Many more that I can remember all these atracts tourists from different countries

In imo state the have theirs too (age grade) thing
In enugu they have too
Likewise ebonyi and abia

He mention calabar because he said top ten popular ,I believe calabar carnival is popular

Walkout from thread here bugs

1 Like

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by kuntash: 6:51pm On Aug 26, 2015
Probably the word "famous" might require a redefining

2 Likes

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Ihuomadinihu: 6:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
What's all these New yam Festival is not only Igbo. It may not be only Igbo but it is fiercely promoted and celebrated by Igbo people all over Nigeria and the World.
Call New Yam Festival in Nigeria and people will point at Igbos. Goggle New Yam Festival and it will take you back to Igbo culture.
The Yam crop is a sacred crop in Igboland and Igbo people don't play with this festival. .
If you want to be noticed,promote your own version.

I don't get the excessive attack on anything that is related to igbo.
New yam festival is synonymous with Igbos,period!
P.s Igbos in London will celebrate the New Yam Festival in October. You are all welcome!

3 Likes

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by scholes0(m): 6:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
akudinaobi:

You are foolish
Onitsha has ivory festival not ofala , ofala is meant for the obi to mark his happiness or whatever to his throne each year sometimes they double the year because of the distance of their sons and daughters that are in diaspora to prepare well for it ,it sopouse to be yearly

And if the poster happens to mention many festivals here the page won't contain it
In anambra alone we have
Afia uli (nnewi)
Nri day (nri)
Imu awka (awka)
Ede aro (abagana)
Eri day (aguleri)
Many more that I can remember all these atracts tourists from different countries

In imo state the have theirs too (age grade) thing
In enugu they have too
Likewise ebonyi and abia

He mention calabar because he said top ten popular ,I believe calabar carnival is popular

Walkout from thread here bugs

Congratulations, You just made absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by wexyee: 6:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
bulldoza:

Shut da fùck up retąrd

Senseless son of a whòre and a drunkąrd old foól.
if ur mom is tht bold to open her leg for chibuzo the baby puter.. to produce another imbicile in nigeria why should I take the product serious?

4 Likes

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by TI1919(m): 7:00pm On Aug 26, 2015
grin
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Aitee1: 7:09pm On Aug 26, 2015
DrWise:
G

Come and edit your G -wagon oh you don land fp undecided
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by stinggy(m): 7:14pm On Aug 26, 2015
chimkaire:
*gives him a side-eye* undecided
I jes dey luk yhu angry
Sweerie why the side eye?
I'm only spreading a good news here grin grin

Not too late, you can still make it down. Will be waiting to host you tongue
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 26, 2015
wexyee:
if ur mom is tht bold to open her leg for chibuzo the baby puter.. to produce another imbicile in nigeria why should I take the product serious?
Why are you retąrded?

Is because your mother is a whòre
Your father is a drunkąrd old foól
And
You are a bastąrd miserable son of a whòre cool
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Awaye20(m): 7:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
What of Guiniko and Egungun festival in Abeokuta Ogun state?

Also Lisabi Day festival for the Egba son and daughter all over d world in Abeokuta Ogun state?
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Aug 26, 2015
datkaind:
Osun oshogbo is number one
ur jonzing
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Dapsynzeal(m): 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2015
Where is Osun/Osogho festival...recognised by the UN

1 Like

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by tonimenia: 8:16pm On Aug 26, 2015
Nigeria has a very rich Cultural Heritage!

Meanwhile,

See 100 Most Powerful

Business Opportunities,

Free Financial Assistance /

Free Loans Without Collateral

And Latest Money Making Ideas

In Nigeria Now Without Delay

Immediately By Clicking On
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Mariecakes(f): 8:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
rhames:

make you volunteer first and the rest of us go run from your back. After you sir.
i wudda but i am a "ma'am" sir

1 Like

Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by omokoladele(m): 8:31pm On Aug 26, 2015
What about Agbasa juju of warri
Igbu festival of effurun
Ojuju calabar of mmmmmm cheesy grin
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 26, 2015
stinggy:

Sweerie why the side eye?
I'm only spreading a good news here grin grin

Not too late, you can still make it down. Will be waiting to host you tongue
...maybe, if U had included monetary rewards... grin

Don't come back cosmeticizing Ur earlier assertion lipsrsealed
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by OdenigboAroli(m): 8:37pm On Aug 26, 2015
I guess Igba Odu is what they refer to as ivory festival.
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by samueld0(m): 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2015
Ladunwo of Okemesi festival. U will never want to mise it when u attend first
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by slam7000(m): 8:42pm On Aug 26, 2015
Radoillo:

I never heard of this Ivory Festival - is it a new thing?

And the picture you attached to it seems to depict a different festival alltogether - the Ofala Festival, perhaps.

Picture was culled from that of an Ofala festival. I think the festival is called Igbu Odu or Odu festival and it's for women.
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by stinggy(m): 8:44pm On Aug 26, 2015
chimkaire:
...maybe, if U had included monetary rewards... grin

Don't come back cosmeticizing Ur earlier assertion lipsrsealed
Sweerie I'll include monetary reward if you can make it down.

Which assertion could that be?
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 26, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
What's all these New yam Festival is not only Igbo. It may not be only Igbo but it is fiercely promoted and celebrated by Igbo people all over Nigeria and the World.
Call New Yam Festival in Nigeria and people will point at Igbos. Goggle New Yam Festival and it will take you back to Igbo culture.
The Yam crop is a sacred crop in Igboland and Igbo people don't play with this festival. .
If you want to be noticed,promote your own version.

I don't get the excessive attack on anything that is related to igbo.
New yam festival is synonymous with Igbos,period!
P.s Igbos in London will celebrate the New Yam Festival in October. You are all welcome!

The female who stated that never attacked Igbos. Step back and stop amping damn.
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 26, 2015
Very rich cultural traditions. It's a shame that Christianity has demonized some of these festivals.
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 26, 2015
stinggy:

Sweerie I'll include monetary reward if you can make it down.

Which previous post cheesy could that be?
...how about me coming along with my friends? We won't inconvenience you, wallahi but the monetary reward is upfront, you know naa wink cos my friends can over-react cheesy lipsrsealed
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by stinggy(m): 9:09pm On Aug 26, 2015
chimkaire:
...how about me coming along with my friends? We won't inconvenience you, wallahi but the monetary reward is upfront, you know naa wink cos my friends can over-react cheesy lipsrsealed
To pay upfront won't be a problem, but you know this is a Sango event sha? Olukoso doesn't take near-fraud lightly embarassed embarassed
Re: Ten Famous Festivals in Nigeria by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 26, 2015
stinggy:

To pay upfront won't be a problem, but you know this is a Sango event sha? Olukoso doesn't take near-fraud lightly embarassed embarassed
...I'll be right back lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / The Somali/ethiopian People / Masquerade Climbing Electric Pole In Kogi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.