Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,118 members, 7,807,380 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni (2934 Views)

Emmanuella Ropo "I Am Not Ooni Ogunwusi's New Wife" / Oyinbo Man Excited To Meet Oba Akran: "Finally Got To Meet A Real King!" / Idowu Olaniyi Adediwura, Crowned As Obalufe Of Ife (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by walemagic(m): 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2015
Obalufe is the traditional king of ife while Ooni is the social king. That is why he is every where all over the world, ask a core ife indigene he will affirm this. When Oduduwa came to ife he overthrown Obalufe to become the second in command right now in view of the demise of the king he has been recognised once more as the real king pending a successor to the throne of Olubuse II Oba Sijuwade. Right now his palace is recognise and every visitor to ife goes there because the palace of Ooni has been locked up until a successor comes to the throne is decided.
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by experimentist: 1:23pm On Aug 26, 2015
k
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by macof(m): 12:43am On Aug 27, 2015
There seems to be some truth in this

Obalufe itself could mean King of the Nation of Ife

But prior to the unification by Oduduwa, Obalufe was already an established title restricted to Parakin...not the whole Ife

the Obalufe was a close associate of Oduduwa named Orunto

@9jacrip egbon mi, any inputs?
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by macof(m): 12:47am On Aug 27, 2015
However, the Government of Ife is like the UK
Obalufe is the prime minister running things as head of Government while the Ooni(Olufe) is the head of state with certain reserved powers

You see we began this separation of powers and Constitutional monarchy way before Britain
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by Nobody: 1:07am On Aug 27, 2015
Orunto, my paternal grandma's compound but of jaojo line.

Met the present Obalufe a few times even during my B.A research project which he helped with.

Thanks for the mention egbon macof.

Obalufe is like the prime minister. Obalufe was the head of Iremo Quarters, Obajio was the head of Moore Axis, Obaloran was of Ilode, Obalaaye was Iraye (now Modakeke), Owaasin of Ilare.

These were part of the political heads of Ife at the time of Oduduwa (I am still trying to get his actual name, I am tired of using this appellation).

They'd say Ife me'fa, Elu ni ikeje (there are 6 Ifes, Elu makes the 7th). Those chiefs were 'probably' the 6 Ifes.

Keep in mind Ife was divided into about 13 hamlets each operating independently. There were other rulers who were god-kings chiefs of Ife: the Oloja Iranje, the Araba, the Oramfe etc.

Each of the political heads were originally charged with receiving the duty of receiving guests from specific Yoruba towns as Ooni was invisible.

Obalufe duty was to receive all guests within Ife and prevent anyone from seeing the Ooni. He was what you would call the 'first shipmate' to the Ooni 'captain' of the Ife ship.

Overtime, this role morphed into him becoming the second in hierarchical chain with others taking position but not really above each other but playing their roles.

He was just the eyes, mouth and hands of the veiled Ooni who was not to be seen or spoken to by anyone outside the palace circle. Inclusive of the other chiefs, sometimes his wives/kids and even Emese except the Sarun.

4 Likes

Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by macof(m): 3:47pm On Aug 27, 2015
9jacrip:
Orunto, my paternal grandma's compound but of jaojo line.

Met the present Obalufe a few times even during my B.A research project which he helped with.

Thanks for the mention egbon macof.

Obalufe is like the prime minister. Obalufe was the head of Iremo Quarters, Obajio was the head of Moore Axis, Obaloran was of Ilode, Obalaaye was Iraye (now Modakeke), Owaasin of Ilare.

These were part of the political heads of Ife at the time of Oduduwa (I am still trying to get his actual name, I am tired of using this appellation).

They'd say Ife me'fa, Elu ni ikeje (there are 6 Ifes, Elu makes the 7th). Those chiefs were 'probably' the 6 Ifes.

Keep in mind Ife was divided into about 13 hamlets each operating independently. There were other rulers who were god-kings who now occupy the 'isoro' (right hand) chiefs of Ife: the Oloja Iranje, the Araba, the Oramfe etc.

Each of the political heads were originally charged with receiving the duty of receiving guests from specific Yoruba towns as Ooni was invisible.

Obalufe duty was to receive all guests within Ife and prevent anyone from seeing the Ooni. He was what you would call the 'first shipmate' to the Ooni 'captain' of the Ife ship.

Overtime, this role morphed into him becoming the second in hierarchical chain with others taking position but not really above each other but playing their roles.

He was just the eyes, mouth and hands of the veiled Ooni who was not to be seen or spoken to by anyone outside the palace circle. Inclusive of the other chiefs, sometimes his wives/kids and even Emese except the Sarun.

grin grin 9jacrip always bringing new things

Ewo ni Elu? I only know the "6 Ifes"

how do the Obalaaye and Ogunsua coexist then?
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2015
macof:

grin grin 9jacrip always bringing new things

Ewo ni Elu? I only know the "6 Ifes"

how do the Obalaaye and Ogunsua coexist then?

Ah you've never heard it?

'Elu' is a core ife name, a prefix added to any other word.

You can ask around though or research the line.

Elu is almost evenly distributed in all core compounds of Ife in variants.

Elugbaju is my surname.

There are other variants of Elu

Elugbadebo
Elufowoju
Eludoyin

and so on.

I do not understand how Obalaaye and Ogunsua get along but Obalaaye is part of the folks who decide who becomes Ogunsua which the Modakeke have problem. Also, Obalaaye to the Ife and his family compound people own Modakeke lands and he is one of the inner chiefs, hence he is an Oba in the real sense and the Ogunsua a Baale but seen as an Oba by his own people who know the Oba iraye is the actual king but on the Ife side.

Somehow, they have been able to manage through.
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by walemagic(m): 9:56am On Aug 28, 2015
Thanks for τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ thought provoking contributions which is an eye opener τ̅O°˚˚˚ τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ matter bε̲̣̣̣̥ε̲̣̣̣̥n discused but I sτ̅ΐll insist τ̅haτ̅ prior τ̅O°˚˚˚ τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ emergence of Oduduwa Obalufe was τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ only recognised king in ife. Τ̅hτ̅s article was posted after I met wΐτ̅h a core ife indigene who's is a returnee from UK and @ Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ same time a cousin τ̅O°˚˚˚ Omisore. He returned just because of τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ kingship issue. Thanks!!!
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by macof(m): 4:16pm On Aug 28, 2015
9jacrip:

Ah you've never heard it?

'Elu' is a core ife name, a prefix added to any other word.

You can ask around though or research the line.

Elu is almost evenly distributed in all core compounds of Ife in variants.

Elugbaju is my surname.

There are other variants of Elu

Elugbadebo
Elufowoju
Eludoyin

and so on.

I do not understand how Obalaaye and Ogunsua get along but Obalaaye is part of the folks who decide who becomes Ogunsua which the Modakeke have problem. Also, Obalaaye to the Ife and his family compound people own Modakeke lands and he is one of the inner chiefs, hence he is an Oba in the real sense and the Ogunsua a Baale but seen as an Oba by his own people who know the Oba iraye is the actual king but on the Ife side.

Somehow, they have been able to manage through.

I see so it's as if Elu is another quaters?
Re: Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni by Nobody: 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
macof:

I see so it's as if Elu is another quaters?

No, a name of another autochthonous group in Ife but came much later after the 6 Ife group to which makes it the 7th.

They do not have a separate quarters, rather almost each quarter or compound has at least one line of Elu variant - apart from the Royal Houses.

(1) (Reply)

The Coronation Of OBA EREDIAUWA Of Benin Kingdom / Are The Yorubas The Wisest in terms of Adages/proverbs And Wise-sayings? / Ndi Be Anyi, dem-people Na-ekele Unu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.