Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. (913 Views)

Oyedepo Reacts To Femi Adesina's "Giving Land For Ranching Is Better Than Death" / Best Acts During Friday / Daddy Freeze Reacts As Apostle Suleman Increases His Tithe From 10% To 30% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by quanternetz(m): 4:02pm On Aug 26, 2015
PROFESSOR IS-HAQ AKINTOLA

ISHAQ AKINTOLA: Professor of Islamic Eschatology, Muslim Activist, Human Rights Activist, Social Commentator, Advocate of Dialogue. MY PHILOSOPHY: I remain oppressed untill the hungry are fed, the naked clothed,the sick healed and the homeless sheltered... Website: www.ishaqakintola.com ... Twitter: ishaqakintola ... Facebook: facebook.com/ishaqakintola

Wednesday, August 26, 2015
WAEC EXAMINATION TIMETABLE IS AN INVITATION TO CHAOS

26th August, 2015
PRESS RELEASE:
WAEC EXAMINATION TIMETABLE IS AN
INVITATION TO CHAOS

The timetable of the November/December General Certificate Examination (GCE) of the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) which is expected to begin next week shows that some of the subjects will be taken between 1 pm and 3 pm on Fridays.

The implication of this is that Muslim candidates are likely to miss some of their papers unless they choose to skip the Jum’ah services on those days. This is tantamount to denial of Allah-given fundamental rights of those candidates. It is a flagrant breach of Section 38 (i) & (ii) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) rejects this anti-Muslim timetable released by WAEC. It is malicious, baseless, illegal, and unconstitutional. It is also most insensitive, parochial and provocative. This timetable is designed to cause chaos.

We invite the Nigerian authorities to visit WAEC’s website (registration.waecdirect.org) and click on the timetable link to confirm our allegation. WAEC has fixed its examinations between 1 pm and 3 pm of every Friday from 11th September to 2nd October as shown below:

1. Friday 11th September, 2015: Forestry 2 (Essay) 13hrs to 15 hrs
2. Friday 18th September 2015: Government2 (Essay) 13 hrs to 15 hrs
3. Friday 25th September, 2015: Further Mathematics 14 hrs to 15.30 hrs
4. Friday 2nd October, 2015: Applied Electricity2 13 hrs to 14 hrs
5. Friday 2nd October, 2015: Applied Electricity1 14 hrs to 15 hrs

We remind WAEC that Jum’ah service every Friday is not a design of homo sapien. It has divine and scriptural basis in Qur’an 62:9-11.

Any attempt therefore to circumspect it by any means constitutes a challenge to divine authority. This is bound to be counter-productive with its dire consequences for our country particularly at this crucial period when Nigeria needs prayers to survive.

We assert that WAEC’s sectional timetable is not likely to affect candidates alone as all service providers who happen to be Muslims are bound to be affected. We wonder why no examination subjects were fixed for Sundays if indeed WAEC is under any stress for time. This development has again underlined the justification for Muslims’ agitation for a workfree Friday.

It further exposes the social imbalance in the Nigerian system today. Everything is in favour of Christians because the colonial master was a Christian and he bequeathed a legacy of a pro-Christian and anti-Muslim culture to Nigerians on the eve of his departure in 1960. Justice demands that this system should have been reviewed long ago, at least to integrate Nigerian Muslims and give them a sense of belonging.

MURIC charges the Federal Government (FG) to do the needful. Nigerian Muslims have become endangered species hounded from pillar to post. There is no freedom of worship for them. Their rights are violated at will and nobody says or does anything about it. Muslim victims are called names and stereotyped when they try to resist. All these must stop if indeed we are serious about the change mantra.

FG should call WAEC to order. By the way, what is the role of the Federal Ministry of Education in matters such as this? Is it not expected to protect candidates from this kind of abuse? Didn’t the ministry have any input into WAEC’s timetable? Or did somebody somewhere fail to perform his/her duty?

We appeal to members of the National Assembly (NASS) to wade into the matter. WAEC must be invited to explain the raison d’etre for this Islam-bashing timetable. NASS is the voice of the voiceless and it should stand up to be counted on a matter which is capable of causing social pandemonium.

MURIC is a dialogue-loving human rights organization. Therefore we will not issue threats. It is hoped that FG and indeed WAEC will take this statement as an offer of dialogue.

MURIC will not be held responsible if aggrieved candidates, their parents and sympathizers hold peaceful protests in WAEC offices should WAEC go ahead with this abominable, archaic and contemptuous timetable which is designed to compel Muslim candidates to sit for examination during Jum’ah service.

MURIC will not stand akimbo while Nigerian Muslims are being humiliated and treated with contempt. We are all equal partners in the Nigerian project and we will employ every available constitutional means to resist the intimidation of Muslims in this country.

Unless it is a deliberate assault on the collective body of the Nigerian Muslim Ummah, WAEC is seriously advised to review the timetable before the commencement of examinations. A stitch in time saves nine.

In the meantime MURIC appeals to Muslims nationwide to eschew violence, to remain law abiding and tntly await FG’s reaction to this highly combustible issue.

Professor Ishaq Akintola,
Director,
Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC)

mod front page please its important!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:03pm On Aug 26, 2015
that On Your Own moment when u leave ur exam(s) & go 2 mosque for prayers but, u found out etaf pass be sey etaf pass..
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by SeverusSnape(m): 4:04pm On Aug 26, 2015
Mtcheeww...wetin concern me?

If you like, don't go and write your exams, Who cares if it's a Friday?... Must you pray... All the prayers you've done all your life, Is your country any better?.

Cc: Muslim students.

To WAEC : Any student or group of students who fail to show up for the exam should be given F9. Thanks

(I reserve the rest of my comment)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by ladyF(f): 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
Hmmmm....lemme reserve my preconceived comments, it may be termed harmful. They should try and compromise sha
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 26, 2015
WAEC should be a bit more sensitive......

Looks like poor Nigerian planning strikes again.

Basic problem in Nigeria....we do not plan well for anything at all. Exams inclusive.

I guess WAEC would fix the mess.....eventually.

By the way.....I think we should even get rid of this Nov/Dec things.
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by TI1919(m): 4:16pm On Aug 26, 2015
cheesy
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by Ayindesegun10(m): 4:17pm On Aug 26, 2015
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by IamOpemipo(m): 4:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
Igbos and Muslim? Who dey threaten/react pass?
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by davien(m): 5:07pm On Aug 26, 2015
So again Islam is against western education because it threatens the beliefs' custom, it's no wonder groups like boko harm, ISIS,etc exist...
It's not a must for anybody to write the exam..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 26, 2015
davien:
So again Islam is against western education because it threatens the beliefs' custom, it's no wonder groups like boko harm, ISIS,etc exist...
It's not a must for anybody to write the exam..
against western education, how does that go against western education? if exams are scheduled for sunday(i'm assuming you are a xtian) around 8am to 2pm maybe maths on that day, will you be happy? please dont be parochial!

7 Likes

Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by davien(m): 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2015
lexiconkabir:
against western education, how does that go against western education? if exams are schedued for sunday(i'm assuming you are a xtian) around 8am to 2am maybe maths on that day, will you be happy? please dont be parochial!
I wouldn't have a problem...and I'll be happy.. . Because I'm an atheist.

1 Like

Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by Rilwayne001: 5:43pm On Aug 26, 2015
lexiconkabir:
against western education, how does that go against western education? if exams are schedued for sunday(i'm assuming you are a xtian) around 8am to 2am maybe maths on that day, will you be happy? please dont be parochial!

He is not a christian. He is an atheist; a fake atheist.
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 26, 2015
davien:
oh!
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by johnydon22(m): 6:15pm On Aug 26, 2015
Rilwayne001:

He is not a christian. He is an atheist; a fake atheist.
am really curious please pray tell. . . What makes someone a fake atheist exactly?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by quanternetz(m): 9:52pm On Aug 26, 2015
[quote author=SeverusSnape post=37358511]Mtcheeww...wetin concern me?

If you like, don't go and write your exams, Who cares if it's a Friday?... Must you pray... All the prayers you've done all your life, Is your country any better?.

Cc: Muslim students.

To WAEC : Any student or group of students who fail to show up for the exam should be given F9. Thanks

(I reserve the rest of my comment)[e]

no worry dem go soon fix Sunday for exam
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by quanternetz(m): 9:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
who go help me beg mod so that my post will enter front page its very important
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by freeDR(m): 5:32am On Aug 28, 2015
quanternetz:
who go help me beg mod so that my post will enter front page
its very important
It is not so important.
Re: Muslims Reacts As Waec Fixed Exam During Friday Prayer. by yetunsbay(m): 8:53am On Aug 28, 2015
davien:
then u need not to comment here

(1) (Reply)

How Regular Should We Tithe? / .. / Averting Untimely, Sudden Death.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.