Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:00 PM

Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her (26362 Views)

Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me / My Boss Is Asking Me Out On A Date / My Boss Is Pushing Me To His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by AbiJr: 9:14am On Sep 04, 2015
U have to take it east
better still if u feel u gat so many skills in marketing, start a personal buzness.

so u display ur talent there. opinion
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by 9jatatafo(m): 9:15am On Sep 04, 2015
Toast that boss of yours and bleep the hell out of her kitty-cat, she will calm down. She is on heat!!!
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by Kings109: 9:16am On Sep 04, 2015
Carry her along & let her be truely the boss. Yes she might be applauded for those innovations & she'll be happy with you also but then, your colleagues & other superiors will surely know that you're her backbone & definitely you'll be rewarded in due time.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by Cutehector(m): 9:16am On Sep 04, 2015
Crap... In life, its just abt u.. If she feels challenged, den let her step up her game also.

U will forever remain in ur position if u let her ride on u.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by bidosko(m): 9:17am On Sep 04, 2015
Start sharing your ideas and strategy with her and don't have the "I initiated it" behaviour but if she continues to throw back your idea at you, it's time to leave there and move to another place where your ideas will be higly appreciated.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by bosunjohns(m): 9:20am On Sep 04, 2015
Nnaeb:
Dear JobTrends,

I am facing a very difficult time at my workplace. I landed a job fourteen months ago and the first eight months were the honeymoon period. My boss loved everything I did. I walked around feeling on top of the world. I was very innovative.

First I replaced our outdated newsletter publishing platform with a new one that is faster, cheaper and much easier to use. I cleaned out our newsletter subscriber database and used social media tools to double our newsletter subscription list.

Then I started including fun little quizzes and community discussion topics on our site and our newsletter. Our sales increased by fifteen percent. I created a “Get Started” kit for new customers. I’ve never had as much fun on a job as I had in my first eight or nine months here. Then things started to get ugly.

My boss said “You’ve made your point. Give the new ideas a break.” I was completely shocked. I thought my boss who happens to be of an opposite sex, the Head of Marketing, would want to keep moving forward fast. I thought that my new ideas would make my boss happy and they did at first, but then she said “e don do.”

I have a dozen more ideas ready to implement. The salespeople have asked me for an online customer training that they can use when they visit new customers.

Now I don’t know how to prove my value or even how to get through the day. I can’t even answer sales and customer requests intelligently because I can’t say “That’s a great suggestion, and we are working on implementing it.” I can’t say that because it isn’t true!

I haven’t spent a dime on my marketing initiatives. The only expense to the company is my salary which is not that big. I replaced a person who was paid a lot more than I get paid, because I heard it from the salespeople who were very dissatisfied with my predecessor, kemi.

Please I need your advice, what should I do? I’m completely frustrated. Can I get my boss, to let me keep doing my job or do I have to leave my job after less than a year and a half knowing how unfriendly the labor market is?

Thanks,

Christopher

Share your opinions!

http://jobtrends.com.ng/please-help-my-boss-is-scared-i-will-replace-her/
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by lordsbiz(m): 9:20am On Sep 04, 2015
Nnaeb:
Dear JobTrends,

I am facing a very difficult time at my workplace. I landed a job fourteen months ago and the first eight months were the honeymoon period. My boss loved everything I did. I walked around feeling on top of the world. I was very innovative.

First I replaced our outdated newsletter publishing platform with a new one that is faster, cheaper and much easier to use. I cleaned out our newsletter subscriber database and used social media tools to double our newsletter subscription list.

Then I started including fun little quizzes and community discussion topics on our site and our newsletter. Our sales increased by fifteen percent. I created a “Get Started” kit for new customers. I’ve never had as much fun on a job as I had in my first eight or nine months here. Then things started to get ugly.

My boss said “You’ve made your point. Give the new ideas a break.” I was completely shocked. I thought my boss who happens to be of an opposite sex, the Head of Marketing, would want to keep moving forward fast. I thought that my new ideas would make my boss happy and they did at first, but then she said “e don do.”

I have a dozen more ideas ready to implement. The salespeople have asked me for an online customer training that they can use when they visit new customers.

Now I don’t know how to prove my value or even how to get through the day. I can’t even answer sales and customer requests intelligently because I can’t say “That’s a great suggestion, and we are working on implementing it.” I can’t say that because it isn’t true!

I haven’t spent a dime on my marketing initiatives. The only expense to the company is my salary which is not that big. I replaced a person who was paid a lot more than I get paid, because I heard it from the salespeople who were very dissatisfied with my predecessor, kemi.

Please I need your advice, what should I do? I’m completely frustrated. Can I get my boss, to let me keep doing my job or do I have to leave my job after less than a year and a half knowing how unfriendly the labor market is?

Thanks,

Christopher

Share your opinions!

have u seem to notice that the people who have the best ideas and smartest are not likely the richest or most excelling in life? To be a huge success that i believe u r aspiring for, there are other things u need to imbibe apart from your so thought wonderful ideas, something like respect, team work, and lots more, these are the things that will help ur talent of ideas, else if u go to a million organisation to work, what awaits u is an aile of frustration. Wisdom is key to life.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 04, 2015
All you need do is Swindle her Fanny. She will trouble you no more. cool
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ChelseaDotCom: 9:21am On Sep 04, 2015
Firstly, from your write-up, it's obvious that you are ignorant of company politics, organizational diplomacy and effective team playing. Even though you are more creative, don't always wants to prove a point that you have better ideas or more intelligent than those who had been doing the job b4 you joined...you'll only create enemies for yourself.
So, what should you do?......
Thread softly. Let ask people for their suggestion. Let the idea be aa team work, even though you know that it emanates from you. For instance, remember Tuface in Plantation Boyz group and Beyonce in TLC. These two were the ones doing most of the singing during the reign of their groups, but, they made it looks like a team work. Now, we've been able to see that without them, the group is s good as gone!
Do always wants to take the credit. If you have an idea, approach and suggest it to her and how it'll be good to your organization. Give her the room to take it up as if it was her idea, I believe, before long, she'll starts to credit you and the initiation of the idea.
Please, don't discuss her or other staffer with any of your colleague, because, if someone discuss others with you, he/she may discuss you with other people.

I wish you a successful work experience. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ogawisdom(m): 9:22am On Sep 04, 2015
Nnaeb:
Dear JobTrends,

Thanks,

Christopher

Share your opinions!

ITK better slow down on intimidating your boss with ur ideas or u may b sacked before u kw it. from ur write up and hw u sound u r nt a team player n seem to take d whole credit for ur ideas without creditin d support of ur boss and coworkers. ur type will irritate any boss.
ur ideas were implemented bc ur boss accepted it so she deserves some credit n u didnt give her any in ur post showin u r selfish
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by victorazy(m): 9:22am On Sep 04, 2015
NairalandDotOrg:
Rule number one
# never outshine the master.

48 LAWS OF POWER

Mmmm I never knew about this law but I implemented it when I was having similar problem. I used common sense.

Simple;
* Carry your boss along
* Pretend he/she is the brain behind the. innovations.

In my own case, I used to forward my finished job to him to submit it even as he never contributed anything on it.

Delete too much gara gara
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ephi123(f): 9:24am On Sep 04, 2015
NairalandDotOrg:
Rule number one

48 LAWS OF POWER

People keep using this quote everywhere but I still don't think this addresses the poster's need. How he should he handle the situation without dumbing himself down? We need creative suggestions please rather than simply saying never outshine the master.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by oluseke(f): 9:27am On Sep 04, 2015
PLEASE I WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME OF YOUR MARKETING IDEAS ON REAL ESTATE. THANK YOU
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by victorazy(m): 9:27am On Sep 04, 2015
ephi123:

People keep using this quote everywhere but I still don't think this addresses the poster's need. How he should he handle the situation without dumbing himself down? We need creative suggestions please rather than simply saying never outshine the master.

Outshining a master is a very dangerous thing to do.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ephi123(f): 9:30am On Sep 04, 2015
herrdeustch:

Please give our guy here a soft landing.Dont misinterpret people because people are different and God gave us all different capabilities.Some people are game changers and innovators who constantly make powerful contributions to their organization,society etc.Unfortunately many nigerians see them as oversabi or a threat which is unfortunate and one of the reasons why nigeria is not moving forward.If the boss was a wise person, instead of feeling intimidated,she will groom the young man,menthor him,repackage him,utilize him, and make him her loyalist as well as develop him .By doing so, value has been added to everyone involved especially herself and the company.So far I see passion in the young man and not pride,but this experience will give him much needed experience in working with people which is like a school of its own.

Thank you. This seems peculiar to Nigeria / a Nigerian thing. Here at work we are constantly challenged to bring up new ideas as individuals and as a team, it is encouraged and nurtured. My naija people would rather sit down and be blowing grammar "never outshine the master" and we wonder why the nation does not progress lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by adino(m): 9:32am On Sep 04, 2015
The labour market is not the way forward. Do everything you can to keep your job/salary even if you must be less creative. Never, I mean never let your knowledge out without any reciprocal. Continue to make your boss happy and keep your job. Develop yourself further at the speed of light, search for where your talents are required and rewarded and Finally, GET THE HELL OUT OF THAT PLACE.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by victorazy(m): 9:32am On Sep 04, 2015
oluseke:
PLEASE I WOULD LOVE TO GET SOME OF YOUR MARKETING IDEAS ON REAL ESTATE. THANK YOU

Is very simple.
Pray 3 time in mid-night by 1, 2 and 3
Maintain quiet moments at least 1hrs
Pay ur tithe
God will answer you, gudluk
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ephi123(f): 9:33am On Sep 04, 2015
victorazy:

Outshining a master is a very dangerous thing to do.

That is the problem with the Nigerian workplace. People would rather have their egos massaged than for the business to move forward. People are more comfortable with the status-quo, they don't want challenges neither do they want to grow. This is not helping us as a country at all.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by adino(m): 9:38am On Sep 04, 2015
NairalandDotOrg:
Rule number one

48 LAWS OF POWER

This is a dumb quote if I may say. This is a firm for Christ sake and the lady boss is even a staff just like the OP. The only thing the OP should do is to play along with his boss and tone down on his creativity. Quoting a book and law does not make any sense.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by U2ice(m): 9:43am On Sep 04, 2015
Na I too knw wan kill u so....she's d head of dept if u av any idea discuss it wiv her...

My 2cent...dnt take my advice cos am jobless
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by sweetrace(f): 9:44am On Sep 04, 2015
Please let me be candid. Your write up is full of how fantastic you are. How you're better than your predecessor. How you're better than your boss. How your ideas are the best. I know you didn't explicitly state these. But, please read what you wrote again and you might see it.

Please note that NOT every single idea of yours may be great. All your ideas don't need to be accepted. All your ideas may be great and accepted by your boss but may not be implemented. May not be implemented because there are better ideas from others or because it just isn't the right time or... Understand that your boss has the overall picture. You don't.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by victorazy(m): 9:45am On Sep 04, 2015
ephi123:

That is the problem with the Nigerian workplace. People would rather have their egos massaged than for the business to move forward. People are more comfortable with the status-quo, they don't want challenges neither do they want to grow. This is not helping us as a country at all.

That is not what I meant sister.
I mean he should apply wisdom by carrying his superior along. Involve her in your ideas even when she has nothing to contribute.

Am an architect and I ones faced the same problem and I used sense.

We have our CEO and he is in UK but I have my senior architect who is also a pastor. During our project with CBN Kano, I was the one doing all brain works here and sometimes our CEO will contribute via Skype but my MD here who have to be pastor never contributed cuz of no time as a pastor and I understood him. After everything, I will send the drawing to him (pastor) also brief him of what I did so he can forward it to CEO in UK as if he is the main brain behind all and we lived peacefully.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by NwaliE01: 9:47am On Sep 04, 2015
you are overwhemly selfish.prove read your writting to see how many "I" you used.You only wanted to outshine your boss and now you are getting reaction from her. I have made so many innovations in my office but no one know who is the brain behind it. All praise goes to my boss and I always smile to the bank after month end.
let your boss take the lead,be the back-up.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ephi123(f): 9:47am On Sep 04, 2015
victorazy:

That is not what I meant sister.
I mean he should apply wisdom by carrying his superior along. Involve her in your ideas even when she has nothing to contribute.

Am an architect and I ones faced the same problem and I used sense.

We have our CEO and he is in UK but I have my senior architect who is also a pastor. During our project with CBN Kano, I was the one doing all brain works here and sometimes our CEO will contribute via Skype but my MD here who have to be pastor never contributed cuz of no time as a pastor and I understood him. After everything, I will send the drawing to him (pastor) also brief of what I did then will forward it to CEO in UK as if he is the brain behind all and we lived peacefully.

Okay, I get your point now and understand what you are saying. I do agree with you that wisdom is key.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by Forward1(m): 9:49am On Sep 04, 2015
Nnaeb:
Dear JobTrends,

Thanks,

Christopher

Share your opinions!

firstly, you have to understand the fact that you & ur boss are both employees in an organisation.
Secondly, you're not working directly with d owner of the organisation. Its only the owner(ceo) that can fully appreciate ur ideas because he wants the advancement of his business.
Lastly, ur boss will never be comfortable with ur ideas when she has a superior that knows the source of the ideas(from u). Her job may be on d line.
In conclusion, never outshine ur master. Relate ur ideas to her before any other person gets to knw.

Note: keep being innovative, you may have to work for me soon.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by timay(m): 9:52am On Sep 04, 2015
phyllosilicate:
LAW1: NEVER OUTSHINE THE MASTER
Always make those above you fell comfortably superior. In your desire to please or impress them, do not go too far in displaying your talents or might accomplish the opposite-inspire fear and insecurity. Make your master appear more brilliant than they are and you will attain the heights power.
ROBERT GREEN

This is definitely the answer to ur question OP

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by victorazy(m): 9:58am On Sep 04, 2015
ephi123:

Okay, I get your point now and understand what you are saying. I do agree with you that wisdom is key.

I thank God you got something out of it.
Is a common sense stuff.

Even our CEO is an intelligent man cuz sometimes he will suspect our game but the isue remains that I always let my senior architec know of everything am doing and he was proud of me.

OP is the gra gra type of a guy, maybe this is his first job
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by kachnov(m): 10:00am On Sep 04, 2015
Tricky,Pass your ideas through her. Make it look like she's the one churning out the innovations,that way its a win win scenario.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by Patented: 10:03am On Sep 04, 2015
@ AbiJr, the second and third paragraphs of your story would look amazing on ur linkedin page and your cv so put them there. If you are bursting with creativity the way you described, then my opinion is that your boss or your company is getting to small for you and cramping your style. Time to move.

1)start looking for another job and your current experience and success wld be attractive to anyone.

2) register a BIZ name or a company (company is more expensive but preferable in the long run) and start an IT or marketing consulting biz. U can thank me later and holler for more consultation grin

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by victorazy(m): 10:09am On Sep 04, 2015
Patented:
@ AbiJr, the second and third paragraphs of your story would look amazing on ur linkedin page and your cv so put them there. If you are bursting with creativity the way you described, then my opinion is that your boss or your company is getting to small for you and cramping your style. Time to move.

1)start looking for another job and your current experience and success wld be attractive to anyone.

2) register a BIZ name or a company (company is more expensive but preferable in the long run) and start an IT or marketing consulting biz. U can thank me later and holler for more consultation grin

Bad man grin
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by ephi123(f): 10:15am On Sep 04, 2015
victorazy:

I thank God you got something out of it.
Is a common sense stuff.

Even our CEO is an intelligent man cuz sometimes he will suspect our game but the isue remains that I always let my senior architec know of everything am doing and he was proud of me.

OP is the gra gra type of a guy, maybe this is his first job

Haha cheesy
Some things come with time. I am sure he will learn from the experience. I feel he should continue to put in his best, whilst learning how to manage his work environment.
Re: Please Help! My Boss Is Scared I Will Replace Her by Nicepoker(m): 10:20am On Sep 04, 2015
Op imaging ur self in her position. How will u feel. Share ur smart ideas with her. Simple. In case one of ur smart ideas goes wrong someday, she will not lay all the blames on u that will tarnish ur cool smart previous ideas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Female Molestation In One Of The Big Companies In Lagos. Must Read / Ican Vs Anan / Nigeria Institute Of Management"s Result Is Out,what Next?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.