Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,358 members, 7,780,977 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:43 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (778551 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kaykad: 5:23pm On Apr 29, 2016
Baba, yes i have SSN, do reconfirm is it transaction history or call history
slimmy2005:
Do you have social security card? Can you login into your phone bill and print it out. One proof of address should be fine. If it's not, they'll give you an afidavit form to fill there. Go with your I-20, your I-901 form ( you can print it online) and your international passport.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 5:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
kaykad:
Dear Team,

Am currently in Virginia in the United state and i need step in other to collect drivers license, i came here with Nigerian international Drivers license. Moving around in Virginia is very difficult without a car, will appreciate any contribution. Thanks

I recently converted my Nigerian drivers license to the US one and having a Nigerian license helps you to skip having a learner's permit first before the actual license if you didn't have your out of country license and you were applying as a fresh driver. I was actually in Virginia yesterday where I bought my new car from a dealership. I obtained mine in Maryland, and Virginia and Maryland being border states I guess the process will be similar. As one who's converting their out of country license, you would first take the 3 hour drug and alcohol class, take the test and pass it. You can take the class online at your convenience and whenever you're ready to take th test, go to the nearest drug and alcohol test center near you and take the test. They charge about $50 or so to take the test but you'll only pay after you've passed the test. You'll be given your certificate valid for 1 year from the date you passed.

Next you go to the nearest MVA near you for the online skills test. You'll need your original SSN card, proof of address here (if you have a bank account, you can print out one of the monthly account statements bearing your address, that should work), proof of lawful status (your I-20, I-94, etc.), proof of identity (your international passport) etc. Make sure you go with all required documents. Also, is your drivers license the original one? As in straight from Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) Nigeria that bears the embossed seal of FRSC? If not, it may be rejected because when it gets to your turn the official will check it for originality. So many Nigerians I know that tried to convert theirs got their cards rejected because their licenses were not original. They had to apply as new drivers. However, mine was accepted because it's the original one from FRSC. To prepare for the online test there's a driving manual which usually can be downloaded from online at the MVA's website which you'll need to study for the test. Here in MD, you'd need to get at least 22 questions out of 25 correct to pass. About 50% pass and 50% fail the test at first attempt. After you pass the online skills test, the final step would be scheduling your drivers road test appointment. Right there at the MVA you would schedule a date for the actual road test. There's also walk-in for the road test if you don't wanna book a date but getting tested on any given day you go to the MVA is not assured due long queues of other walk-in candidates.

Any which way, before your drivers road test, be sure to go to a driving school near you to have them brush you up on your driving skills. Driving in the US is totally different from driving in Nigeria. There's a lot that you won't know from driving in Nigeria that applies to driving here and small things like that can make you fail your road test. Some schools charge like $70 for 2 hours and they'll brush you up and prepare you on what to expect on that day and they can also drive you to the MVA on your test day assuming you don't have a car of your own. Note this: driving to the MVA in a driving school's car helps you a lot as it shows your examiner that you have gone through necessary US driving lessons. Or you can have a friend drive you to the MVA with their own car but you must have had someone brush you up on your driving skills for the US. This is very important. Please do not skip this critical aspect of the process. Some schools may be booked up for the entire month but you can always ask them to refer you to any of their drivers personally that could do the same for you. In case you're unable to get a school or driver, let me know and i'll refer you to the driver that prepared me for my road test. The guy is extremely good.

After you pass your road test, then you can pay for your drivers license back at the MVA and it is usually processed immediately right there and given to you. Or if it's going to be mailed to you, they give you a temporary one to use. Congratulations on getting your drivers license! Remember, driving in the US is a privilege not a right.

I passed all my tests at first attempt starting from the 3 hour drug and alcohol test to the online test to the road test. They are not hard once you prepare for them.

Safe driving in the US. Don't drink and drive! Watch out for those crazy drivers and make sure you get your car insurance with full coverage, not liability only, for a new driver to the US especially for your first 6 months of driving here.

I just confirmed at https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#eligibility.asp, scroll down to New Residents. The process for MD I just outlined above is the same for VA, except for the 3 hour drug and alcohol test part. Looks like you don't need it for a VA license, just go straight to the MVA/DMV. Let me know if you have any questions. Goodluck buddy.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2016
kaykad:
Baba, yes i have SSN, do reconfirm is it transaction history or call history
your SSN and Bank letter is ok.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 7:28pm On Apr 29, 2016
penroll55:

Thanks boss. Warriboy which one u dey use?

Mtn indiana..... ; grin

I use ultramobile.. 19$/month.... 3dollar free international calls.. Unlimited sms and 500mb...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kaykad: 7:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
Thanks boss you nailed it
bigfrancis21:

I recently converted my Nigerian drivers license to the US one and having a Nigerian license helps you to skip having a learner's permit first before the actual license if you didn't have your out of country license and you were applying as a fresh driver. I was actually in Virginia yesterday where I bought my new car from a dealership. I obtained mine in Maryland, and Virginia and Maryland being border states I guess the process will be similar. As one who's converting their out of country license, you would first take the 3 hour drug and alcohol class, take the test and pass it. You can take the class online at your convenience and whenever you're ready to take th test, go to the nearest drug and alcohol test center near you and take the test. They charge about $50 or so to take the test but you'll only pay after you've passed the test. You'll be given your certificate valid for 1 year from the date you passed.

Next you go to the nearest MVA near you for the online skills test. You'll need your original SSN card, proof of address here (if you have a bank account, you can print out one of the monthly account statements bearing your address, that should work), proof of lawful status (your I-20, I-94, etc.), proof of identity (your international passport) etc. Make sure you go with all required documents. Also, is your drivers license the original one? As in straight from Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) Nigeria that bears the embossed seal of FRSC? If not, it may be rejected because when it gets to your turn the official will check it for originality. So many Nigerians I know that tried to convert theirs got their cards rejected because their licenses were not original. They had to apply as new drivers. However, mine was accepted because it's the original one from FRSC. To prepare for the online test there's a driving manual which usually can be downloaded from online at the MVA's website which you'll need to study for the test. Here in MD, you'd need to get at least 22 questions out of 25 correct to pass. About 50% pass and 50% fail the test at first attempt. After you pass the online skills test, the final step would be scheduling your drivers road test appointment. Right there at the MVA you would schedule a date for the actual road test. There's also walk-in for the road test if you don't wanna book a date but getting tested on any given day you go to the MVA is not assured due long queues of other walk-in candidates.

Any which way, before your drivers road test, be sure to go to a driving school near you to have them brush you up on your driving skills. Driving in the US is totally different from driving in Nigeria. There's a lot that you won't know from driving in Nigeria that applies to driving here and small things like that can make you fail your road test. Some schools charge like $70 for 2 hours and they'll brush you up and prepare you on what to expect on that day and they can also drive you to the MVA on your test day assuming you don't have a car of your own. Note this: driving to the MVA in a driving school's car helps you a lot as it shows your examiner that you have gone through necessary US driving lessons. Or you can have a friend drive you to the MVA with their own car but you must have had someone brush you up on your driving skills for the US. This is very important. Please do not skip this critical aspect of the process. Some schools may be booked up for the entire month but you can always ask them to refer you to any of their drivers personally that could do the same for you. In case you're unable to get a school or driver, let me know and i'll refer you to the driver that prepared me for my road test. The guy is extremely good.

After you pass your road test, then you can pay for your drivers license back at the MVA and it is usually processed immediately right there and given to you. Or if it's going to be mailed to you, they give you a temporary one to use. Congratulations on getting your drivers license! Remember, driving in the US is a privilege not a right.

I passed all my tests at first attempt starting from the 3 hour drug and alcohol test to the online test to the road test. They are not hard once you prepare for them.

Safe driving in the US. Don't drink and drive! Watch out for those crazy drivers and make sure you get your car insurance with full coverage, not liability only, for a new driver to the US especially for your first 6 months of driving here.

I just confirmed at https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#eligibility.asp, scroll down to New Residents. The process for MD I just outlined above is the same for VA, except for the 3 hour drug and alcohol test part. Looks like you don't need it for a VA license, just go straight to the MVA/DMV. Let me know if you have any questions. Goodluck buddy.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by kaykad: 7:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
Thanks Boss Appreciated
slimmy2005:
your SSN and Bank letter is ok.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cseejhay: 11:23pm On Apr 29, 2016
bayocanny:
Cc: amanze
thanks alot bros.....God bless u!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 11:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
imperiouxx:

Fine. How are you?
bros of life I am loyal o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 1:52am On Apr 30, 2016
Where is Walspring? It's been a while...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bartino: 4:10am On Apr 30, 2016
Abeg how safe is ping express? Anybody had any issues? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by olenime(m): 6:23am On Apr 30, 2016
aadeyi:
Where is Walspring? It's been a while...
Thanks Adeyi for d swift payment you helped me with, I called Walspring today, he'sdoing good, he promiised to be back fully by next month.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 6:37am On Apr 30, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 6:38am On Apr 30, 2016
Hey guys, here is my post from almost 3 years back on GPA conversion from Nigerian 5-point scale to US 4-point scale. I have seen some people ask about how this is done recently and my post below aptly captures the GPA conversion process, as done by WES, which you can do quickly by yourself and know where you're at on the US scale. Knowing your GPA on the 4-point scale can be helpful as as you can be sure of which school (s) you can apply to. Goodluck!

bigfrancis21:

Yea. Sure I'm getting set for classes. Can't wait to show 'em indians Naija pepper. grin

I see this CGPA conversion thing is really confusing. Each 5 point-scale GPA has its own equivalent on the 4-point scale. As the 5-point GPA reduces so does the 4-point GPA. And no, the credit units are not reduced or increased during conversion. The only things changed are the grades and grade units.

For eg, FOR WES translation,
our A is their A = 4 points.
Our B is their B+ = 3.5 points.
Our C is B = 3.0 points.
Our D is C+ = 2.5 points.
Our E is their C = 2.0 points and
Our F is F = 0.

For WES' conversion list, there are no Ds and Es on their US 4-point scale. All our Ds and Es are converted to C+ and C respectively thus adding extra points to the person's equivalent new CGPA. That's why WES is considered the best.

Now, the higher the CGPA, the lower the add in extra points to the final because the 5-point GPA is likely to have more As, Bs and Cs than Ds and Es(the very two which add extra points to the overall). And the lower the CGPA the more the add in possible points from Ds and Es because the person's transcripts is likely to have more Ds and Es than the first example, thus adding a little more points to the person's 4-point CGPA since the many Ds and Es will be converted to higher C+ and C.

I'll give you a quick break down of Naija GPAs I've seen converted by WES to the 4-Point scale so you can quickly place for yourself where 3.08/5.0 will land.

Nigeria. US
4.10/5.0. 3.53/4.0
4.08/5.0. 3.52/4.0
3.73/5.0. 3.37/4.0
3.68/5.0. 3.29/4.0(Your own conversion. wink
3.20/5.0. 3.06/4.0(Kunle's conversion)
3.12/5.0. 3.05/4.0
2.99/5.0. 2.99/4.0
2.33/5.0. 2.50/4.0

Look above and see the linear relationship. Notice the falling pattern of the 5-point scale and its equivalent falling pattern on the 4-point scale. Its a linear relationship. Now look at the scale and estimate the range 3.08/5.0 on 4-point scale will fall on? Your guess is as good as mine.

@Kunle: remember when you sent in your transcripts to WES for evaluation and you were waiting for it to come out, I told you on bbm that your new CGPA will between 3.05 to 3.10? And when it came out and it was 3.06? You told me when it came out and remember I told you I wasn't surprised that knew it would fall within that range. This was because before then my friend who had 3.12/5.0 had converted his own and got 3.05/4.0. And because your own 5-point scale CGPA, 3.20/5.0 was higher than his 3.12/5.0, I definitely knew your 4-point equivalent will be higher than the 3.05/4.0 which my friend got.

Likewise, 3.08/5.0 will be lower than 3.05/4.0 but won't fall below 3.0/4.0 since 2.99/5.0 fell on 2.99/4.0. The range will be between (3.0 to 3.05)/4.0.

Observe that its a linear ratio thing. I guess the confusion comes from the fact that the CGPA 3.08/5.0 is second class lower and its 4-point equivalent, 3.0/4.0 is considered second class upper on the 4-point scale. That's how it is. Kunle's 3.20/5.0 is second class lower but also turned out to be 3.06 which is higher than 3.0/4.0 and which is second class upper on the 4-point scale.

3.08/5.0 isn't much different from 3.20/5.0 and should give something close to Kunle's 4-point 3.06/4.0 in accordance to the law of linearity and mathematics. Hence, I don't expect such a huge downward plunge in the new CGPA equivalent, such as 2.5/4.0 to 2.60/4.0 as Kunle projected.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bayocanny: 6:45am On Apr 30, 2016
cseejhay:

thanks alot bros.....God bless u!
your head is massively valid sir, you can shoot the guy a pm. He live in missouri, I suppose
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 7:59am On Apr 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This dude is always on-point. There's something different about the guy called bigfrancis. Onyi ishi,idi bad!!!

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 9:22am On Apr 30, 2016
fizzile:
This dude is always on-point. There's something different about the guy called bigfrancis. Onyi ishi,idi bad!!!

Baba o...oga mu...I'm loyal sir...I doff my hat for you sir. cool cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oluphy: 10:15am On Apr 30, 2016
Hello every1,
Av a lil challenge with SEVIS payment, some1 is paying via western union from the UK and he's says the "sevisfee" is not a registered company name. Any1 that has used western pls help confirm.
Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 2:39pm On Apr 30, 2016
oluphy:
Hello every1,
Av a lil challenge with SEVIS payment, some1 is paying via western union from the UK and he's says the "sevisfee" is not a registered company name. Any1 that has used western pls help confirm.
Cheers

Tell him to go to somewhere else..... everyone here pays with western union but am not sure what the WU system looks like in the UK though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 2:40pm On Apr 30, 2016
olenime:

Thanks Adeyi for d swift payment you helped me with, I called Walspring today, he'sdoing good, he promiised to be back fully by next month.

Your head is valid bro.... Aiit tell him we miss him oo

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 30, 2016
aadeyi:

Your head is valid bro.... Aiit tell him we miss him oo
pastor Walspring. Let's thank God
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 5:18pm On Apr 30, 2016
Hello everyone,
I might be making a trip to the east coast in couples of days please if you live at least within 25 miles radius of Washington dulles international airport, dulles Virginia, Abeg pm me abeg. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by brightify: 8:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
Hello gurus in the House, please can my uncle make my SEVIS fee payment with credit card in US
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Fesobi92: 8:49pm On Apr 30, 2016
Hello brothers, anybody writing his TOEFL or GRE soon? Hoping to see someone prepare together with...#TEAM MATHEMATICIAN#Spring2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 9:07pm On Apr 30, 2016
done with ds 160 form. booking on tuesday for interview. an6body booking soon make we meet fot abuja.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by warriboy21(m): 9:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
bartino:
Abeg how safe is ping express? Anybody had any issues? Thanks

Lol guy afa u na.... D stuff safe na..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 9:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
brightify:
Hello gurus in the House, please can my uncle make my SEVIS fee payment with credit card in US

Western Union does not transact on credit cards.... he can only use debit card or cash.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by brightify: 9:45pm On Apr 30, 2016
aadeyi:

Western Union does not transact on credit cards.... he can only use debit card or cash.
ok thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by sofadj(m): 10:17pm On Apr 30, 2016
Help me thank @aadeyi, he made the SEVIS payment for me.

God bless you bro

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by mrego: 11:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
i will go straight to the point and not bore you guys with unnecessary details. i had to open a new account so not to draw unnecessary attention from those that know me with my username either from the office or otherwise

i work in a federal establishment earning about 100k per month. my establishment is about to send some people to the US for a convention though they wont be footing the bills. All they will do is make you get your papers easily by presenting you as their own. fortunately, i am among the few selected interested ones.

now my dilemma is that i think it is not wise to use my years savings in footing a trip which i wont benefit from economically considering my financial status. using all my savings in going to the State just to stay for about a month and come back to the country broke. i am actually interested in going and disappearing and try to make a life there. but my parents have advised me that it is not wise to leave my job to an uncertain future. To make matters worse i don't know anyone there who can accommodate me and put me through. No contact whatsoever to take shelter with.

i am torn between taking the risk and staying back entirely and hustling it out in Nigeria as a civil servant but i don't see myself making it big in civil service except i get the opportunity to dasukigate some funds from our government. lol

please i need the best advice i can get and i trust my nairaland family.
lalasticlala and the mod here abeg help my ministry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 11:43pm On Apr 30, 2016
Gurus,in terms of admission decisions...how can a high pgd gpa affect a low undergraduate gpa? Do they tend to consider it? Can it in any way supplement or boost in admission decisions?

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (401)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.