Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria (49780 Views)

12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (pics, Video) - Ovoko.com.ng / 10 Most Expensive Cities In Africa 2015 [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 29, 2015
davooX:
Enugu,Calabar ,Uyo,Aba, are all suburbs in need of a downtown business district.

if Calabar looked like this,then we're starting to talk about city.

Now let's assume you build a few high-rises at Ibeno beach in Akwa ibom. Ibeno has just become city.Nothing changed but the height.Unfortunately that's just how it works.

Oga sir please don't be offended but unfortunately you are propagating nonsense. A city is really nothing more than a large town with the following: significant population, significant commercial and economic activity, complex sanitation systems, transportation and housing. An entire city with all the above could be composed of bungalow's and it wouldn't make a difference; it would still be a city.

5 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 1:04pm On Aug 29, 2015
AncientJerk:

Oga I have spent time in at least 6 different countries including the US and UK so tell me something else. Nigeria is not perfect of course but let me tell you a lil secret no place on earth is!!

Most of what you allege in your post is trash. Criminality and illegality are embedded in the mind of the average Nigerian?? What an insult but i'll overlook it because from your usage of the word average there i can tell you never took a class in statistics(or you took it without paying attention) so it's not your fault.

It's no one's fault if you lack the mental strength to make it in Nigeria sir but there are plenty plenty and plenty success stories in Nigeria, people who made it through clean hard work and the grace of God.

You are right. I don't have the mental criminal sense to make it in Nigeria. I just can't do it. It's just not in me. I recently left Nigeria to go back to base. Needless to say it was a horrific experience. I experienced what i thought was impossible. Immigration officers asking for bribes in plain sight of everyone at the airport. AN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. Policemen asking for bribes in plain sight of everyone. Touts asking for money in plain sight of everyone. Military men beating people in plain sight of everyone. Policemen beating citizens in plains sight of everyone. And nobody saw a damn thing wrong with this. If this is normal to you then i'm really sorry. It's not to me.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
Bollinger:

You are right. I don't have the mental criminal sense to make it in Nigeria. I just can't do it. It's just not in me. I recently left Nigeria to go back to base. Needless to say it was a horrific experience. I experienced what i thought was impossible. Immigration officers asking for bribes in plain sight of everyone at the airport. AN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. Policemen asking for bribes in plain sight of everyone. Touts asking for money in plain sight of everyone. Military men beating people in plain sight of everyone. Policemen beating citizens in plains sight of everyone. And nobody saw a damn thing wrong with this. If this is normal to you then i'm really sorry. It's not to me.

You don't need a "mental criminal sense" (if there were such a thing) to succeed in Nigeria. Talking about "making it" though, might i point out to you that crime for the sake of economic gain exists everywhere just perhaps in different forms? You think the Bernie Madoff's of the western world are anomalies abi?? I laugh. Anyhoo!! I'd be happy to agree to to disagree.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ronald4lif(m): 1:09pm On Aug 29, 2015
valmunich:

Alobam, odika inwebero idea ife aluga. . . Otu is no longer the Otu you use to know. . . Otu na akwuzi better pay recently, Otu amago mma, Otu wuzi mmimi! not as touty as it used to be, as you portrayed it. Btw, how do you define disorganised? which city in Nigeria can be said to be organised in the supreme sense of the word

Haha! Odika ibu nwa otu? cheesy

I've heard of Onitsha being reformed but on visiting upper iweka last month I didn't notice much about the touted reformation there. The okadas and buses were just driving speedily without caution, the streets were untidy, road side hawkers hawking their wares very close to the motorway and everyone just blowing their car/cycle horn as if they're on some competition on whose horn is the loudest. Although this is the case with every city in Naija but Osha own is on another level. Only Aba can come close.

Maybe there have truly been a great change but my compulsive perception of the city couldn't let me see it.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by aameyah(f): 1:09pm On Aug 29, 2015
Which Ibadan is quiet and serene? Big lie! That is the past glory of Ibadan.

It has been infected by the Lagos spirit; full of rough drivers and uncouth touts. A city practically crawling with beggers.
You can't take a short walk without being besieged with beggers, young and old.

But met some nice peeps sha....

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by anonym0us: 1:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
IBADAN
no how u snap for ibadan you no go see brown zinc

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2015
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by GamaG(m): 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2015
This OP does not know what he's saying. How can you tell me that Calabar is more popular than Port Harcourt. Let me tell you, the three most famous cities in Nigeria are Lagos, Port Harcourt, and Abuja. Stop posting rubbish to deceive the populace.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by chino11(m): 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
Awka- the newest and most modern city with the finest architectural edifices out of Nigeria. The Dubai of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2015
AncientJerk:

You don't need a "mental criminal sense" (if there were such a thing) to succeed in Nigeria. Talking about "making it" though, might i point out to you that crime for the sake of economic gain exists everywhere just perhaps in different forms? You think the Bernie Madoff's of the western world are anomalies abi?? I laugh. Anyhoo!! I'd be happy to agree to to disagree.

If you are about to rent a house and during inspection you find out that it is dirty, one of three things will happen;

1. You will clean the house because you are not a dirty person

2. You will leave that environment and never come back.

3. You will leave the house dirty because you yourself are a dirty people
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2015

1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by corektchic: 1:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
davooX:
Enugu,Calabar ,Uyo,Aba, are all suburbs in need of a downtown business district.

if Calabar looked like this,then we're starting to talk about city.

Now let's assume you build a few high-rises at Ibeno beach in Akwa ibom. Ibeno has just become city.Nothing changed but the height.Unfortunately that's just how it works.

thats not true pls, an area or a place is not called a city because it has beautiful buildings or skyscrapers. A city is made of people from various walks of life, cultures and origins who live dere to look for their daily bread (I.e do business), when its so the place becomes developed and busy because of the population and the diverse lifestyles. Do u know there were cities wayback in this world that were not even as developed as some villages in Nigeria yet they were called cities because of the nature of activities and varied lifestyles u find dere. maybe u know better than dose who called ph the garden city or enugu the coal city.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by asha80(m): 1:21pm On Aug 29, 2015
davooX:

Let's assume this is Aba or Warri.Even if the roads are not tarred and the population is 30,000 ,this looks more like a city than Calabar,Uyo or Enugu with good roads. high-rises or skyscrapers are a status symbol of a 21st century city . Enugu,Uyo,Calabar,warri,etc are slums,I mean towns
is this guy a kid?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by chino11(m): 1:22pm On Aug 29, 2015
Okada has been banned in Onitsha among other cities in Anambra. Upper Iweka has been transformed. Onitsha is the New York of the East. Below are the regular hoods in Onitsha.

ronald4lif:

I've heard of Onitsha being reformed but on visiting upper iweka last month I didn't notice much about the touted reformation there. The okadas and buses were just driving speedily without caution, the streets were untidy, road side hawkers hawking their wares very close to the motorway and everyone just blowing their car/cycle horn as if they're on some competition on whose horn is the loudest. Although this is the case with every city in Naija but Osha own is on another level. Only Aba can come close.

Maybe there have truly been a great change but my compulsive perception of the city couldn't let me see it.

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by plentybash: 1:22pm On Aug 29, 2015
Ibadan realy make senceooo,but op sokoto is n percived as unsafe except to the misinformed.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
davooX:

Let's assume this is Aba or Warri.Even roads are bad and the population is 20,000 ,this looks more like city than Calabar or Enugu.

That's not how it works boss... You are making a common logical error. Most developed cities have sky scrapers yes but that is not why they are cities. Rather they have sky scrapers because they are cities. Inn other words you could say sky scrapers are always found in cities but cities do not always have sky scrapers.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by sukkot: 1:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
AncientJerk:

Honestly. I mean you're promoting a city that you say is underrated and all you can do is pull up a very stereotypical picture that fits very nicely with the very image that you say underrates the city!
OP is a tribalist igbo guy. he is being mischievous and disingenuous

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ronald4lif(m): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
chino11:
Okada has been banned in Onitsha among other cities in Anambra. Upper Iweka has been transformed. Onitsha is the New York of the East. Below are the regular hoods in Onitsha.

Since when were they banned? What's great about these pictures that were taking during last Xmas. Don't get me wrong. I love Onitsha as the best city in my home state as I'm from Anambra but there's a lot of work to be done there.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 29, 2015
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 29, 2015
Bollinger:

If you are about to rent a house and during inspection you find out that it is dirty, one of three things will happen;

1. You will clean the house because you are not a dirty person

2. You will leave that environment and never come back.

3. You will leave the house dirty because you yourself are a dirty people

Allow me to make an amendment: you would clean the house because you realize that the house itself is not bad but it is just dirty and if you have the mental strength[b][/b] to stay and clean it up, you would have a very nice house.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by sukkot: 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2015
all4naija:
Nigeria cannot boast of a standard city. Lagos is like a squatter town with dilapidated buildings. There is no central sewage system, no metro system, no good public spaces, no good cab system, no good power supply, no constant treated water supply, poor security, etc. Jeez! That country is really the hell fire on earth. I wonder how any reasonable human being can survive there. angry lipsrsealed cry cry cry cry cry
nigeria is the biblical hell. thats why swallow birds travel to manchester in april and then to nigeria in september. april is spring ( just after the march equinox ) when things blossom. september is the equinox ( september equinox when darkness becomes greater than the light. darkness overpowers the light ) when all things start to die. nigeria is the valley of dry bones. the home of purgatory for the southern country below the equator

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2015
davooX:

Let's assume this is Aba or Warri.Even if the roads are not tarred and the population is 30,000 ,this looks more like a city than Calabar,Uyo or Enugu with good roads and 200,000 Pop. high-rises or skyscrapers are a status symbol of a 21st century city . Enugu,Uyo,Calabar,warri,etc are slums,I mean towns
Eko ni baje ooo grin grin

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by valmunich(m): 1:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
ronald4lif:

Lol, I was born and raised there ohh, though we've switched location.

Urban administration in Nigeria is quite poor, I agree but for Onitsha, trust me, there has been a significant change and it all commenced when obi held sway before handing over to the contemporary governor who I think is still upholding the significant change

Before these two administrations, you'll agree with me that the vices in Onitsha then was starkly sickening. Crime rate was it it's peak, touting was the order of the day, infrastructural development was backsliding laced with a host of other vices but since Obi's encompassing change, there has been a U-turn, albeit, not an utterly positive turn anyway but at least, there was a change, the vices are at their minimal level, insecurity is no longer trendy, urban administrators has "uped" their game.

Even if you failed to notice any of these changes, at least you should've noted the good, motor-able roads. perhaps it's your prejudices shaa.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Rotimi47: 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2015
Freemanan:

Illorin is not a state... Onitsha is not, Ibadan is not... Sokoto and Enugu are cities inside the main state... They are all cities...
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by chino11(m): 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
Yes Nigeria as a whole needs a lot work to be done but Onitsha but Onitsha is fast expanding due to the influx of multinationals and massive white and blue collar jobs emerging in the city. Okada was banned several months ago on the major roads and cities.

Enjoy the serenity of Onitsha hoods

ronald4lif:

Since when were they banned? What's great about these pictures that were taking during last Xmas. Don't get me wrong. I love Onitsha as the best city in my home state as I'm from Anambra but there's a lot of work to be done there.

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
AncientJerk:

Allow me to make an amendment: you would clean the house because you realize that the house itself is not bad but it is just dirty and if you have the mental strength[b][/b] to stay and clean it up, you would have a very nice house.

Like i said bro's. One of three things would happen. you have stressed option one while it think it's more of option three. And if you insist on option one; how is the clean up working out for you all. I know what you are going to say next. "it's going to take a while to clean up the dirty house and you can't do it alone". My answer is how do you clean with others when everyone has a dirty constitution/mindset?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 29, 2015
Bollinger:

Like i said bro's. One of three things would happen. you have stressed option one while it think it's more of option three. And if you insist on option one; how is the clean up working out for you all. I know what you are going to say next. "it's going to take a while to clean up the dirty house and you can't do it alone". My answer is how do you clean with others when everyone has a dirty constitution/mindset?

And why do you think we voted Buhari? regardless of whether he performs or not, people voted for him because they believe-no-they hope, he can clean out corruption which means that the majority of this country would actually like to see corruption cleaned out. Not everyone has a dirty mindset sir. Emphatically no!! In fact i would say that the majority of people in this great nation are the victims, in a way or another, of crimes that are committed by a minority. if my personal observation will not suffice then note that Pareto's law(the 80:20 principle) certainly supports this assertion.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2015
AncientJerk:

And why do you think we voted Buhari? regardless of whether he performs or not, people voted for him because they believe-no-they hope, he can clean out corruption which means that the majority of this country would actually like to see corruption cleaned out. Not everyone has a dirty mindset sir. Emphatically no!! In fact i would say that the majority of people in this great nation are the victims, in a way or another, of crimes that are committed by a minority. if my personal observation will not suffice then note that Pareto's law(the 80:20 principle) certainly supports this assertion.

Is this the same Buhari that you'all have started crucifying before he has even began working? You all say you want change but the criminal minded always want the status quo to remain the same. Always.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by bqlekan(m): 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2015
Born in Ib, schooled at Ilorin, served in Onitsha, played in Enugu... Sokoto is the only odd one here grin op actually is right...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Bollinger(m): 1:55pm On Aug 29, 2015
AncientJerk:

https://www.nairaland.com/2561511/bad-state-oau-halls-residence#37455475
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 29, 2015
Bollinger:

Is this the same Buhari that you'all have started crucifying before he has even began working? You all say you want change but the criminal minded always want the status quo to remain the same. Always.

Thank you,it seems you are reading. My mind,they want the status quo to continue..and yet want nigeria to progress...talk about repeating same thing all over again and expecting the country to change

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See The First 3D Zebra Crossing In Nigeria (Photos And Video) / Policeman fights bus conductor who insisted he pays his transport fare. / Plane Forced To Make Emergency Landing After Passenger Refused To Stop Farting (

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.