Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,140 members, 7,780,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:15 AM

5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria (49686 Views)

12 Most Beautiful Cities In Africa 2018 (pictures) / 10 Most Beautiful Cities In Nigeria (pics, Video) - Ovoko.com.ng / 10 Most Expensive Cities In Africa 2015 [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
Ibadan is not underrated... after Lagos in the south west, Ibadan is next.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ronald4lif(m): 2:09pm On Aug 29, 2015
valmunich:

Lol, I was born and raised there ohh, though we've switched location.

Urban administration in Nigeria is quite poor, I agree but for Onitsha, trust me, there has been a significant change and it all commenced when obi held sway before handing over to the contemporary governor who I think is still upholding the significant change

Before these two administrations, you'll agree with me that the vices in Onitsha then was starkly sickening. Crime rate was it it's peak, touting was the order of the day, infrastructural development was backsliding laced with a host of other vices but since Obi's encompassing change, there has been a U-turn, albeit, not an utterly positive turn anyway but at least, there was a change, the vices are at their minimal level, insecurity is no longer trendy, urban administrators has "uped" their game.

Even if you failed to notice any of these changes, at least you should've noted the good, motor-able roads. perhaps it's your prejudices shaa.

True the roads were truly great and quite expansive from what it used to be. Learnt the incumbent governor and Obi took significant measures to tighten the security of Osha and it environs and it appears it's been effective as kidnappings and arm robbery have drastically reduced. That was a massive stride to obtain in a place like Onitsha which had become a safe nest for all kinds of criminal activities. Let's hope they do more in the areas of traffic management, banning of okada for keke. Any city that want change must completely bar the use of okada. That thing is a disaster.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by chino11(m): 2:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
A Policeman seizing a motorcycle from the owner, in Lagos.
The Anambra Government on Wednesday banned the operation of private and commercial motorcycles and tricycles from major highways in the state with effect from June 1. This is contained in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Dr Uju Nwogu, in Awka.
“All motorcycle and tricycle operators in the state will from next week Monday, June 1, be barred from plying the Enugu-Onitsha highway, as well as Arthur Eze Avenue and Zik’s Avenue in Awka.
“Similarly, it will be illegal for all motorcycles, either private or commercial, to ply the Onitsha-Owerri expressway, Awka Road, Borromew-Upper Iweka-Bridge Head road, Old and New Market Roads and Oguta Road, all in Onitsha. “In Nnewi, they are prohibited from the Nnewi-Nnobi road and Nnewi-Oba road.

File photo: Okada riders
File photo: Okada riders
“All commuters who must ply these restricted roads are by this announcement advised to use tricycles or the taxis and buses provided by the state government and other commercial vehicle owners,” the statement read.
While noting that the law enforcement agencies would ensure strict compliance to this directive, the statement warned that operators caught violating the directive would have their motorcycles or tricycles impounded.
It, however, said that a fine of N5,000 for motorcycles and N10,000 for tricycles, for first offenders, would be paid to retrieve such impounded motorcycles or tricycles. It warned that subsequent arrest for a second violation of the directive would attract outright confiscation of the motorcycle or tricycle by the state government. The statement further warned motorcycle operators in the state to desist from carrying more than one passenger on a trip.

ronald4lif:

True the roads were truly great and quite expansive from what it used to be. Learnt the incumbent governor and Obi took significant measures to tighten the security of Osha and it environs and it appears it's been effective as kidnappings and arm robbery have drastically reduced. That was a massive stride to obtain in a place like Onitsha which had become a safe nest for all kinds of criminal activities. Let's hope they do more in the areas of traffic management, banning of okada for keke. Any city that want change must completely bar the use of okada. That thing is a disaster.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ronald4lif(m): 2:14pm On Aug 29, 2015
chino11:
Yes Nigeria as a whole needs a lot work to be done but Onitsha but Onitsha is fast expanding due to the influx of multinationals and massive white and blue collar jobs emerging in the city. Okada was banned several months ago on the major roads and cities.

Enjoy the serenity of Onitsha hoods

Chino, but I saw okada at upper iweka just last month. When were they ban? Isn't upper iweka considered a major area/road
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by 247notire(m): 2:17pm On Aug 29, 2015
Freemanan:

Illorin is not a state... Onitsha is not, Ibadan is not... Sokoto and Enugu are cities inside the main state... They are all cities...
And she has over a hundred followers... Smh.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
247notire:
And she has over a hundred followers... Smh.
LOL.... Meaning? grin
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by 247notire(m): 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
ronald4lif:

Chino, but I saw okada at upper iweka just last month. When were they ban? Isn't upper iweka considered a major area/road
It is evrywhr bro. That it's banned doesn't mean u can't find it.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by chino11(m): 2:19pm On Aug 29, 2015
It was banned few months ago and the law enforcement agencies are enforcing the law. It will take some time before they are completely removed on our roads. Penalties are there for anyone that is caught breaking the law banning bikes. Its being done already. Even in Lagos where it was banned, okada still ply there though they are being chased every day.

ronald4lif:

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ronald4lif(m): 2:21pm On Aug 29, 2015
chino11:
It was banned few months ago and the law enforcement agencies are enforcing the law. It will take some time before they are completely removed on our roads. Its being done already. Even in Lagos where it was banned, okada still ply there though they are being chased every day.

Good then. They should keep chasing them until it's complete barred off the city. Onitsha will be great without it. Their horns alone is sickening.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by 247notire(m): 2:22pm On Aug 29, 2015
Sandydayz:

I thought dey were called states
Hey wat primary school did you go through? Didn't u recite "states and capital?"
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by 247notire(m): 2:23pm On Aug 29, 2015
Freemanan:
LOL.... Meaning? grin
U knw nw... Hehehe
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by 247notire(m): 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
Freemanan:

LOL.... Meaning? grin
U knw nw cheesy. I cudnt believe my eyes shocked
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by chino11(m): 2:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
BRT/Cabs/Keke are gradually replacing them as bikes fades away into the rural areas where they are really needed.

ronald4lif:

Good then. They should keep chasing them until it's complete barred off the city. Onitsha will be great without it. Their horns alone is sickening.

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by UnimkeAk(m): 2:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
davooX:
Enugu,Calabar ,Uyo,Aba, are all suburbs in need of a downtown business district.

if Calabar looked like this,then we're starting to talk about city.

Now let's assume you build a few high-rises at Ibeno beach in Akwa ibom. Ibeno has just become city.Nothing changed but the height.Unfortunately that's just how it works.

Is Washington DC a city or a suburb since you using high rise buildings as ur yard stick

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ronald4lif(m): 2:27pm On Aug 29, 2015
247notire:
It is evrywhr bro. That it's banned doesn't mean u can't find it.

That's it. It's not about making laws but enforcing it and penalising offenders. Anyone who float the laws must be brought to face strict retribution if we expect compliance and law enforcement officers who collects bribe to free offenders should equally be punished.

Okada was completely off the streets of Enugu within two months of it barring because the then governor Chime ensure there was strict compliance to the ruling. Obiano should implement same measures.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2015
UnimkeAk:

Is Washington DC a city or a suburb since you using high rise buildings as ur yard stick
you are a slowpoke.Washington DC is an administrative city just like Abuja. don't worry ,I removed all my comments because intelligence and progressive thinking are not a norm here. goodluck
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by fleexee(m): 2:30pm On Aug 29, 2015
Vithouston:
I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH ONITSHA IN THE LIST.
HEAVY CRIME ABOUND THERE AND AMENITIES IS A MINUS.
I PREFER OWERRI TO ONITSHA IN THE EAST.
owerri hmm. Expensive to live in, aggressive hustlers. BUT *their babe ehnnnn. Check 40/40, IMSu, world Bank area, Douglas. This people no carry last. Conclusion : if u have ur money, u go enjoy owerri, especially if u like woman and flexing lifestyle. Na only club and hotel them get. No company at all. As a corper is not easy here
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by TheTruth618: 2:51pm On Aug 29, 2015
Freemanan:

Illorin is not a state... Onitsha is not, Ibadan is not... Sokoto and Enugu are cities inside the main state... They are all cities...

Which kind sandywatever be this one?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by skondo09(m): 2:56pm On Aug 29, 2015
Goodboiyy:
Were Warri 4 that List ?

Freeman talk well o, shuo, y u 4get my city na

Sum dudes just fight for everything without understanding subject matter. Wat of if Warri is not tag 'underrated city'
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by hausaboi: 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2015
Op Bauchi has good road networ k and affordable housing with serene environment.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by hausaboi: 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2015
Op Bauchi has good road network and affordable housing with serene environment.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by UnimkeAk(m): 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2015
you are a slowpoke.Washington DC is an administrative city just like Abuja. don't worry ,I removed all my comments because intelligence and progressive thinking are a norm here. goodluck

intelligence my foot;
It is your father who is a morron --

you just called Washington DC a city dumbazz

you called Enugu and the rest suburbs

You had better go and check the definition of a city and a suburb.

high rise buildings isn't a criteria in calling an urban area a city

bastard

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by DONOCHAS(m): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2015
Mtchew, dat list no complete Aba no de dia
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by bee444: 3:50pm On Aug 29, 2015
There is something about that Ilorin that I don't like. The people behave like the Hausas. Infact, everything about them is hausa, yet they tried claiming to be Yorubas or people from the west.

Not that I have anything against them, but in terms of regional or zonal war, whose side would they be on?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Tahtah: 3:57pm On Aug 29, 2015
[quote author=bolaji3071 post=37431854]Nawa for dis op o. Of all Ibadan pics na dat one u see upload.

[/quot
He has never been to Ibadan. D pix uploaded sent to him from the Archives. So, just be looking @ him. You can hear his response " doesn't want to hype any city"
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by asha80(m): 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
UnimkeAk:

intelligence my foot;
It is your father who is a morron --

you just called Washington DC a city dumbazz

you called Enugu and the rest suburbs

You had better go and check the definition of a city and a suburb.

high rise buildings isn't a criteria in calling an urban area a city

bastard
dont mind the pathetic kid..i am sure in his mind Pretoria is not a city because it is the administrative capital of south Africa..i am sure if 4 skyscrapers are built in my hometown of a population of 45000 it will now be a city..such moronic kids of today

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by ojosegun2011(m): 4:54pm On Aug 29, 2015
The author of this story is definitely biased against the Largest city in Africa that has virtually the first of every good things of life in Africa and Nigeria with the poorest picture ever to represent Ibadan city in this picture. If you are not a stranger to Ibadan city you must be intentionlly aiming to ridicle Ibadan and its descendants to have used the picture of an outdated market as your picture to represent Ibadan.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by tpiander: 4:56pm On Aug 29, 2015
bee444:
There is something about that Ilorin that I don't like. The people behave like the Hausas. Infact, everything about them is hausa, yet they tried claiming to be Yorubas or people from the west.

Not that I have anything against them, but in terms of regional or zonal war, whose side would they be on?

another daft.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2015
I don't see any of these as cities...except ibadan
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by tpiander: 4:58pm On Aug 29, 2015
ojosegun2011:
The author of this story is definitely biased against the Largest city in Africa that has virtually the first of every good things of life in Africa and Nigeria with the poorest picture ever to represent Ibadan city in this picture. If you are not a stranger to Ibadan city you must be intentionlly aiming to ridicle Ibadan and its descendants to have used the picture of an outdated market as your picture to represent Ibadan.

when I ask if the site owner is Yoruba, people wonder why I'm asking.

where in Yorubaland do people make it a habit to constantly attack and insult other Yorubas the way they do on nairaland?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria by yinkuscious(m): 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2015
Op, why did u now use bodija market for ibadan and used beautiful places for oda cities ? Chai

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Gets Deported From The U.S Because Of Weaves / A Photo Thread Of My Relocation / Preparing For TOEFL, Already Taken TOEFL Come In Let's Discuss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.