Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now (1371 Views)

Should I Stop Work And Do A Masters Programme? / Is It Advisable To "INSULT" Your Wicked Boss When Quitting? / Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by maestro09: 12:11pm On Aug 28, 2015
With all that is happening in the oil and gas industry worldwide caused by the falling oil price leading to mass layoffs in some companies,is it advisable to still enroll for a master in petroleum engineering. Will applying to a top petroleum university like university of Texas at Austin guarantee me a job in any of the multinationals in the US.i have a very strong 2.1 in mechanical engineering.Thanks.
Re: Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by kfrosh: 7:54am On Aug 29, 2015
I believe personally that 'petroleum Engineering' is a course that limits you in terms of flexibility because you u can only work in the petroleum industry unlike Mechanical Engineering which has a broad scope, but since it's a Masters and not a first degree you can go for it cos you still have your 1st degree has back up.
Re: Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by davide470(m): 1:56pm On Aug 29, 2015
maestro09:
With all that is happening in the oil and gas industry worldwide caused by the falling oil price leading to mass layoffs in some companies,is it advisable to still enroll for a master in petroleum engineering. Will applying to a top petroleum university like university of Texas at Austin guarantee me a job in any of the multinationals in the US.i have a very strong 2.1 in mechanical engineering.Thanks.
O' Yeah. Oil prices fall and rise again. That's the cycle. With all the massive layoffs now, so would come the re-recruiting when the price stabilises, as such, now is actually a good time to go for a Masters in Petroleum or Subsea Engineering.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by Nobody: 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
kfrosh:
I believe personally that 'petroleum Engineering' is a course that limits you in terms of flexibility because you u can only work in the petroleum industry unlike Mechanical Engineering which has a broad scope, but since it's a Masters and not a first degree you can go for it cos you still have your 1st degree has back up.
You're right. . Petroleum Engineering isn't flexible unlike Chem, Mech and EE....
Re: Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by maestro09: 9:39am On Sep 07, 2015
But as it stands, will oil price still rise soon?
Re: Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by kobonaire(m): 12:26am On Apr 02, 2016
I would say stick to Mechanical Engineering as it gives you more jobs options like folks above me said. Also there will be some flexibility at UT I'm sure and you can take 1-2 electives in Petroleum Engineering courses if that is your interest.
Good luck @maestro09
Re: Is It Advisable To Enroll In A Masters In Petroleum Engineering Now by engineerjimmy: 12:27pm On Apr 02, 2016
Are you an aspiring or praticing technician/engineer who is looking for fellow technicians/engineers to share knowledge with,share and gain from job and contract opportunities,and also participate in different on going projects,you can message 08170697723 on whatsapp and be part of the engineeringforum group. Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Please Advice On This New Skill. / Which Is Better Mechanical Or Elect Elect Engineering / My IT Career Is Dying. Save Me Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.