Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:56 AM

Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers (15299 Views)

N649bn Bad Loans: Banks To Sell Over 1,000 Debtors’ Properties / Economic Downturn: Vacancies In Lekki, VI, Ikoyi Properties Rise 72% In 18 Month / Loans: Banks Put Up Chronic Debtors’ Property For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Adesiji77: 4:44pm On Aug 28, 2015
In what seems a desperate determination to recover their money from loan defaulters, some commercial banks in Nigeria have put up for sale, a number of houses, hotels, petrol stations, schools and other property used as collateral for the loans.

The sale of these property is the second leg of this desperation, coming after the banks had, a couple of weeks ago, published the names of debtors in the national dailies in a ‘name and shame’ strategy aimed at cajoling the defaulters to pay up their debts.

This present move is adding to the woes of the banks, as many of the foreclosed property cannot find ready buyers due to the slowdown in the economy which has kept the high end property market, where most of these property belong, struggling.

“Some of the creditor banks are coming informally to the market and they are bringing their property under forced sale. Most of these properties are high-end and the market here is struggling”, Rogba Orimolade, an estate surveyor and valuer, confirmed to BusinessDay in a telephone interview.

Orimalade explained that most of these property cannot find buyers because those who drive that segment of the market are mostly politicians and oil companies, adding that these buyers were being cautious, waiting for government’s policy direction on the economy.

A marketing manager with a major international property vendor, who spoke to BusinessDay on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that the market has been flooded by new assets.

“The situation we have now is such that supply has far outweighed demand and this is why some of the property are going for prices that are way below their market value”, the marketing manager affirmed.

Bismarck Rewane, the CEO, Financial Derivatives Company Limited, had earlier this month noted that the real estate market was experiencing downtimes resulting from over-supply and other factors that have pushed up vacancy rate at high-end locations in Nigeria to as high as 54 percent in July this year, up from 48 percent in June.

Confirming the supply glut in the market, Chudi Ubosi, an estate surveyor, however, expressed doubt that they were foreclosed properties as a result of bank debtors and sale of their collateral assets.

“The banks have consistently passed to us properties for sale and we have regularly worked on them. It is an on-going process. They hardly wait until the CBN forces them to”, he said, adding, “the interesting thing too is that many times, as soon as the debtors realise that the banks are serious about the sale of their collateral assets, they begin to take the issue a lot more seriously and enter into negotiations with them to reconcile the accounts and work out fresh terms of repayment”.

Other property vendors, mainly estate surveyors who spoke to BusinessDay on condition of anonymity, also confirmed receiving instructions from some of the banks to help them dispose of foreclosed property which are scattered in major cities of the country.

While some of these vendors disclosed that they had received the property lists directly or indirectly from the banks, others said some of the banks had contacted them to do same, even before the names of debtors were published, pointing out that the exercise started long before now.

Though majority of the agents/vendors were very protective of the identities of the banks that have approached them for the sale of their assets, BusinessDay checks reveal that almost all the 17 banks which have so far published names of their loan defaulters are in the market with foreclosed assets.
http://businessdayonline.com/2015/08/economic-slowdown-deepens-banks-woes-as-debtors-property-cant-find-buyers/ lalasticlala
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2015
TIME TO START WITHDRAWING ALL CASH FROM MY BANKS.... CAN'T TRUST THEM...

SAVANNAH MADE US LEARN THE HARD WAY..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2015
blame it on buharis administration

27 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by ladyF(f): 4:46pm On Aug 28, 2015
Chai....hard times are really here

Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by dunsman(f): 4:48pm On Aug 28, 2015
Hmmmm.... Wat do you expect to happen wen a/an bogot, illiterate, dull, no clear thinking man takes d wheel of control. All we hear is I will, buhari to, body language, probe!! Govt of photos and cameras!! No economic policy, no power policy, youth empowerment nbam, infrastructure development nop.. Even d core reson pple voted for I'm boko haram still dae terrorize.. All wat naija dae experience in terms of benefits are just transformation of Jonathan, but we are experience change in terms of appointments.. Let's bet it, a time will come wen buhari will ask jambites to write Integrity test!!

Meanwhile, buhari is a nymphomaniac--- el rufai

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by DickDastardly(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2015
cheesy
while the masai warrior in aso rock keeps hiring his tribes men.

more to come

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by otabuko(m): 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
Na so them go dey borrow the answer billionaire....

Lmao..... At least I dey feed well, subscribe,.... Manage the one wey i get..... Gracias!

Meanwhile na for Kom Kom I go dey put my money for now!

1 Like

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
How will their debtors' (politicians') property find buyers when 70% of the country is living on less than $1 per day? They loot money belonging to the nation and starve the masses, oya let their children start buying property from them... Since they didnt allow wealth to circulate abi...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by donholy28(m): 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
Buhari is involved

3 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by LOL247(f): 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
vv
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by YerYer: 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
I smell a recession.

8 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
NO POLITICIAN WILL BUY PROPERTIES NOW BECAUSE IT IS NO LONGER AS USUAL, THEY ARE EVEN SELLING THE AVAILABLE ONES OFF SO THAT UNCLE BUHARI WILL NOT CATCH THEM WITH HIS DOGS..

6 Likes

h
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Ephemmm: 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
Things will get worse before it will get better.

God bless Nigeria, my beloved country.

2 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by kennyman2000(m): 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
This one na gbege ooo.. Someone should ask them if swap is allowed.. If its allowed, make i swap one of the properties with this my papa useless boys quarter and add small change on top.. Na Godwin be that ooo..

3 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
Oil dependent economies are unstable economies.

Nigeria must get off oil.

Modified....

What is happening is as a result of a fall in oil money influx into the country. That....and tightening of the forex supply to buffer the naira...as well as an expectation of austerity (really....we have ho choice)...means no money.....and thus..no kudi to keep up the houses.

For Nigeria's economy to be stable...we must diversify. Not just talk about it...do it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by ylaa(f): 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
grin
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by eluquenson(m): 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
Bad time
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by mrLhanray(m): 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
Trouble looms.
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by braine(m): 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2015
Bad market.
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2015
Freemanan:
TIME TO START WITHDRAWING ALL CASH FROM MY BANKS.... CAN'T TRUST THEM...

SAVANNAH MADE US LEARN THE HARD WAY..

Savannah's collapse was pre Soludo. Won't happen now...thanks to tighter regulations.
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2015
I am interested in buying, if they have a twin duplex structure or a two storey building located at lekki, then I am willing to pay 2million naira, if any at maitama, then I wil make it 3million instanta! After all a politician once bought a govt suv, one of its latest models for less than 200k in dis same country......so @ banks, if alarm catch una too much, make una lemme knw cos I wil buy as many properties as my 10million can go, after all politician properties na stil govt property.

11 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by DickDastardly(m): 4:55pm On Aug 28, 2015
bushdoc9919:
Oil dependent economies are unstable economies.

Nigeria must get off oil
tell that to your idol

4 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Demmzy15(m): 4:56pm On Aug 28, 2015
grin
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Viktor1983(m): 4:56pm On Aug 28, 2015
YerYer:
I smell a recession.
You are still smelling? Stuff wey don dey table for long now..
The stock market has shelved trillions, Growth rate has slowed down....

2 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Melahou(m): 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
its going down...
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
DickDastardly:

tell that to your idol

1.PMB is not my idol.I am a Nigerian. My allegiance is to my country and its peoples....not to any politician, or party.

2.If any Nigerian leader cannot see the need to diversify now;...he is blind and he must be removed

3.Your idol GEJ did not do his job well..ie his job of diversifying the economy.....which is partly why we are here.

4.Whatever the cost...we must be prepared to switch from a resource dependent economy to an industrial economy. This might mean austerity....but it would get us to the point of prosperity.

5 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by godson99(m): 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
hmmmmm!
u guys should start withdrawing ur monies from this banks
Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by sammyj: 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
This is good opportunity for new investors to buy properties. I wish i had money to buy one of the properties !!! grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by atlwireles: 4:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
Many were over valued in the first case, they will all find buyers at the right price. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Economic Slowdown Deepens Banks’ Woes As Debtors Property Can’t Find Buyers by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
When dummies run an economy, this is the kind of shyt you end up with.

When you build a house and set a rent price of N5 million per annum in an economy where people can't eat a single square meal, na rat, cockroacj and lizards go live for your house, rent free.

Stupid fools grin

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anambra Youths Use Pure Water To Quench House Fire In Onitsha (Video) / 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria / For Your Exotic Interior And Exterior Architectural Designs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.