Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,583 members, 7,809,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview (19397 Views)

How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? / Some Questions Google Asks Potential Employees During Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:49pm On Oct 09, 2015
T. Why should we hire you?

This question sounds quite intimidating and the interviewers can often sound as if
they doubt your ability. But answering this question successfully only requires you to
summarise the most important skills and qualities that you have and that the employer
is looking for.

"I've already mentioned the skills that I believe I have in terms of growing
existing accounts and winning new ones. I also have an extensive network of
contacts throughout the industry, which allows me to keep abreast of ideas and
developments in the field. In addition to that, I'm determined to become a partner in
a business within the next 18 months, so you know that I'll be dedicated and hardworking in order to achieve that. "
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:53pm On Oct 09, 2015
U. Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

I have heard so many candidates stumble at this hurdle because they have not
prepared an answer to it! The truth is that you probably don't know what you want to
be doing in five years’ time – but you can't say that to interviewers as they may take it
as a sign of lack of forethought.
Five years is conceivably long enough to say that you want to be doing
something outside of the company – such as setting up your own business. But the safer
bet is to say that you are looking for some form of career progression within the
company.

"Given that your company has just announced plans to open a third office in the
Oxfordshire region, I assume that there will be opportunities for progression within
the business. Within a couple of years I hope to be promoted to an assistant
merchandiser and then sometime after that to a merchandising manager. So I could
easily see myself working for you in five or even more years’ time. "
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
Part 4- Questions about Money
Here, you tend to know all what you need to know about money; how to deflect it or negotiate it. The golden rule is to delay negotiation about money till they have offered you the job. If they insist, you may give them a range. And, of course, you would have done your homework by now.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 12:01am On Oct 10, 2015
A. How much are you earning at the moment?

This is a fairly straightforward factual question. Answer the question by telling
the interviewers exactly how much you are currently earning.
Don't price yourself out of the market by implying the interviewer must
automatically match your salary. You may want to say something like: My salary is
only one part of the equation. What is most important to me is finding the right role
that will challenge and develop me. You may currently be earning more than the
interviewers are expecting to pay, but they may conceivably raise their offer if you're
the right person for the job.

Bear in mind the relative scarcity in the market of people with your skills and
experience. For example, fewer executives with ten years’ experience of running an
advertising agency are out there than advertising trainees with only a year's
experience. The more certain you are that your skills are in short supply, the more
bullish you can probably afford to be with your answers.

Consider the following two example responses:
"I'm earning £18,500 with up to a 10 per cent bonus plus benefits at the moment.
However, as I said earlier, I'm more interested in finding the right organisation
that will help me to achieve my long-term career goal of becoming a store manager
than earning a few pounds more at this moment in time."

"My basic salary is £85,000 and I'm entitled to a bonus and profit share, which
could be as much as £40,000 this year. But I'd rather not get bogged down in talk
about money because I think we should probably spend this initial discussion
establishing whether I'm the right candidate to turn around your business."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 12:04am On Oct 10, 2015
B. How important is money to you?

Most employers like to believe that they hire people who would continue to work
for them even if they won the lottery.
Consider these two good responses:

"Of course I need to earn enough to live on, but money isn't a major factor in
deciding where I should work. It's more important for me to work for a business
that has a solid reputation and good prospects for development and progression.
Money isn't important in its own right. It's more important to me that I'm doing a
good job and receiving recognition for my hard work and achievements. I suppose
that my salary and bonus are financial indicators of how well the business thinks
I'm doing. If I'm doing a good job, I want the business to recognise that by
awarding me a fair bonus."

The main exception to the rule is sales people, employers of whom are
sometimes sceptical of candidates who do not think that money is terribly important.
Below is a good response for this situation:

"I must admit that I want the things in life that money can buy – such as a big
house, a fantastic car and two or three holidays a year. But I realise that you don't
get anything for nothing, so I'm prepared to work incredibly hard to get what I want
out of life."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 12:06am On Oct 10, 2015
C. How much do you think you are worth in a job?

If the organisation has yet to make you a firm offer, resist the temptation to reply
to this question with too specific a number. Your best bet is to dodge the question by
saying that finding the right job and organisation to work for is more important than
getting a big wad of cash (even if that isn't necessarily true!).
Read up on job adverts and talk to head-hunters, recruitment agencies and
other people in your profession and industry to get a rough idea of your worth in case
the interviewers press you for a more specific figure.

"Having looked at other similar opportunities, it seems that managers with my
kind of background and experience are being made offers in the region of £30,000
to £35,000. But, as I said earlier, my primary consideration is finding the right
company to join"
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 12:10am On Oct 10, 2015
D. What would you consider adequate remuneration for this
role?

Even though the question sounds like a request for a precise number, the same
rule applies as for any other question regarding pay: unless you have already received
a firm offer, avoid pricing yourself out of the market by stating a number that may be
too high for the company to afford.

Avoid the tawdry topic of money by reiterating that finding a job that allows
you to develop your skills and further your career ambitions is your primary goal.

"Obviously I'm looking for more than I'm currently earning. But that's not the
only factor that will decide my next career move. I'm more anxious to ensure that I
feel I can add real value and that the management team will take my ideas and
opinions seriously."

Sales people are the exception to the rule. Sales people are typically very motivated by money, and interviewers expect sales people to want to talk about money.

"At the moment I'm on a basic salary of £12,000. For the first £100,000 of sales
that I generate, I earn a 6 per cent commission. For anything over that, I earn 8 per
cent commission. So I'd need an offer that could beat that."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
E. I'm afraid you're a bit expensive for us

Perhaps you've told the interviewers exactly how much you are earning and they
reply with this statement. Don't be despondent, however. Employers usually have
some discretion to offer a bigger pay package for the right candidate. Don't give the
interviewers a disgusted look and abandon the interview. Do your best to convince the
interviewers that you are the strongest candidate. And after they've selected you over
all the other candidates, you may find that they can boost the overall offer.
Even though an employer may not be able to beat what you are currently
earning, try negotiating a deal that is better for you in the medium-to-long term. For
example, you may be able to ask for a deferred pay rise, share options or a bonus
based on performance.

"Just because I earn a little bit more than you're currently willing to pay
doesn't mean that I'm no longer interested in this opportunity. I'm intrigued to find
out more about why this vacancy has arisen, and perhaps we can work something
out if I am the right candidate for you."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
F. What would you like to be earning in two years’ time?

If you answer with too high a number, the interviewers may think that you have
unrealistic expectations about the job. But if you answer with too low a number, you
may unwittingly commit yourself to receiving unreasonably low pay rises for the
foreseeable future!

Try to avoid answering with numbers at all. Focus on what you want in terms
of career progression and job satisfaction.

"I'd like to be earning more, but the precise number isn't that crucial to me. My
primary aim is to progress in my career. My understanding from your website is
that good assistant managers can feasibly be promoted to general managers within
18 months to two years."

Interviewers can ask you about every conceivable time frame. So be ready to
talk about how much you may want to be earning (and where you want to be in terms
of career progression and job satisfaction) in three, four, five and more years.

"Four years is quite a long time away, but I hope to have made significant
progress in my career and be on course to becoming a fully-fledged resort
manager. I really don't have that much of an idea of the earning potential as I'm
much more focused on furthering my skills and getting international work
experience under my belt."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:09pm On Oct 13, 2015
Part 4- Tackling pressure questions
Here you will be privilege to see some questions you might be asked that may want to trip you off the ground. Relax, you will get to see answers to some of the questions.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:12pm On Oct 13, 2015
A. All of us have personality defects – what is yours?

This is a strongly worded question and a cunning trap, implying that everyone has
a personality flaw of some type. Weaker candidates can fall into this trap by exposing
some serious failing about themselves. But the cunning response is to deflect the
question and actually treat this question as if you have been asked to talk about a minor
weakness of yours.

Never talk about any negative characteristics of yourself without also going on
to talk about how you compensate for them. So do talk about a minor weakness, but
immediately go on to tell the interviewer how you monitor and control that weakness,
preventing it becoming an issue at work.

"I wouldn't say that I have any personality defects – it's a very strong word. But
of course I have areas in which I'm not as strong as others. For example, my
natural tendency in my personal life is to be quite spontaneous and relaxed about
what tasks I need to do and how I run my social life. But I realise that I can't allow
myself to become disorganised at work, so I always make the effort to spend a few
minutes every day thinking about the key tasks I need to achieve and making a list.
This allows me to focus on what I need to do and to prioritise how to spend my time."

The candidate here has managed to respond to a potentially leading and very
negative question in a positive way.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:39pm On Oct 14, 2015
B. Why did you not achieve more in your last job?

Another strongly worded question, this one implies that you should apologise for
not having become the Chief Executive already. Some candidates may get flustered
and start making excuses about what has held them back. Instead, prepare a response
to this question that shows what you are proud of.

Talk in a confident manner about the reasons why you're very happy with your
career progression so far and tell the interviewers about what you have learned or
reiterate some of your main career achievements:

"I'm actually very happy with my career progression so far. Even though I still have
the same job title, I have actually learnt a huge amount. When I started the job as
an Assistant Buyer two years ago, I had no experience of buying whatsoever.
Whereas now when my manager is away on holiday, she allows me to represent our
department at client meetings – so I feel that I have gained a lot in skills,
experience and client credibility. I'm now ready for the next step in my career,
which is what brings me here today."

"I don't see achievement purely in terms of promotions and rising up the hierarchy.
It has always been more important for me to enjoy the job and feel that I am
learning new skills. I was asked to apply for a promotion but that would have meant
that I'd be managing a team of trainers rather than doing hands-on training, so I
turned it down."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:44pm On Oct 14, 2015
C. How would you respond if I said that you're not the best
candidate we've seen today?

An interviewer may ask this question with a hint of a sneer in their tone of voice
to see how you cope with disappointment. But you know better than to show any such
negative emotion. So instead show your mettle by asking the interviewer: I'd be very
surprised to hear that and I'm interested to know why you think that. Can you tell
me why you think I'm not the best candidate?

Keep your tone of voice very warm when you ask the interviewer why they
think you may not be the best candidate – otherwise, you can risk coming across as
abrasive.
Hopefully the interviewer will then give you a couple of reasons that you can
counter. For example, if the interviewer says, I don't think you have enough
experience of negotiating deals with suppliers or I think you are somewhat lacking
in the maturity needed for this role, then you can tell them your best example of
negotiating a deal or a story that illustrates how you dealt with a tricky situation with
confidence and maturity.
If the interviewer refuses to give you reasons why they think you aren't the
strongest candidate they've seen, go on to reiterate some of your key qualities:

"Obviously I can't say that I'm the very best candidate, as I've not met the other
candidates. But what I do know is that I am incredibly determined in my work. I've
decided that I want to work in this industry and I'm willing to put in long hours and
do whatever it takes to get the job done and build a career in fashion. And my career track record so far should show you that I always achieve what I put my mind to.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:32pm On Oct 16, 2015
D. How would you rate me as an interviewer?

It nearly goes without saying that you shouldn't criticise your interviewer even if
you think they are disorganised or incompetent. However, neither should you fall into
the trap of fawning insincerely and lavishing too many compliments on the
interviewer.
Depending on the style of the interview, choose a modestly complimentary
response such as:

"I'd say that you're quite a tough interviewer and have asked some very challenging
questions that have really forced me to think about how I would deal with different
situations. But I would add that being tough on candidates is only fair, as it's a
tough job and you want to get an idea of how I would be able to cope with real
pressure."

"I think that you've been a very fair and professional interviewer so far – you've
tried to establish a rapport and put me at ease so that I can talk in a relaxed
fashion about my skills and experience."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:37pm On Oct 16, 2015
E. What keeps you up at night?

Asking what keeps you up at night is a negative question, implying that you
should reveal some deep-seated worries. Describing your worries will almost
certainly be taken as a sign of weakness. So your correct answer here is to say that
nothing – or almost nothing – keeps you up in a work context.

"I can honestly say that nothing keeps me up at night. My job is very important
to me, but I always make sure that I do the very best that I can to handle a situation.
If a difficult situation or lengthy project needs a lot of work, then I make sure that I make a list at the end of one day so that I can get straight into tackling the most urgent issues the next day. Once I know that I have done the very best that I can, I
find that there is nothing to be gained by worrying unduly about something and letting it interfere with my sleep."

If the interviewer continues to pressurise you and says that something must keep
you up at night, then you may concede by giving an example (briefly) of a work issue
that has had you slightly worried in the past.

"I sometimes get nervous before big presentations. But when I know that a big
presentation is coming up, I take plenty of time to prepare my slides and rehearse
my material. I still wouldn't say that a presentation has given me any sleepless
nights, but I certainly do wake up in the morning very aware that I need to do some
more hard work that day to prepare for it."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:53pm On Oct 18, 2015
F. Why do you think you are better than the other candidates?

Interviewers asking you this question are trying to lure you into talking about
yourself in overly positive and glowing terms.
In most interviews, you won't get to meet the other candidates. Even if you do
meet them, you're more likely to exchange nervous smiles and have a polite chat while
sitting in reception than to have an in-depth discussion with the other candidates about
their skills and experience. So it would be unfathomably arrogant of you to mouth off
about why you are better than people that you have no right to comment on.

Demonstrate an ounce of humility by refusing to compare yourself to people
that you can't possibly comment on. Snide comments about other candidates only show
you up in a poor light. Instead, stick to talking about your own key qualities.

"I don't think I can honestly say that I'm better than the other candidates
because I've never met them. All I can do is tell you again about my key qualities
and why I think I'd be great in this job. I've been told by people that I'm articulate
and hard-working. I also hope that I've demonstrated my determination and passion
for getting into this industry. Hopefully my personality and sense of humour have
come across as well. And so all I can do is trust you to make the right decision."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:57pm On Oct 18, 2015
G. Do you like regular hours and routine working patterns?

The right answer to this question can very well be a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’, depending on
the circumstances. For example, if you're applying for work as an ambulance driver,
then you are probably going to be working shifts and sometimes crazy hours, meriting
one response. But taking on part-time work as part of a job-share may mean that the
hours will be very carefully determined weeks in advance.

Look at the job advertisement to get an idea of what the right answer to this
question may be. If the description of the job stresses words such as ‘flexibility’,
‘some travel may be expected’, ‘variety’ and ‘shift working’, then it's likely that the
interviewer is looking for you to say that you don't like regular hours and a routine
working pattern.
Consider the following two very different responses to the question:

"No, because I'd hate to have a job that involved coming into the office at nine
o'clock, having an hour's lunch and then leaving at five thirty every single day. It
would bore me rigid, which is exactly why I'm interested in the nature of this job – I
like the fact that I could be called upon at short notice to work in different parts of
the country and to work either at our branches or a customer's offices. It's the
variety that will keep me on my toes."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:39pm On Oct 20, 2015
H. Do you mind paperwork?

Again, the right answer depends on the nature of the job. But the word
‘paperwork’ implies bureaucratic shuffling rather than productive work. So even if
you do enjoy paperwork, think of another way to put it. For example:

"I wouldn't say that I enjoy all paperwork. But I do enjoy being thorough in
processing documents. If the contracts aren't signed, then the business could lose a
lot of money, so one of the reasons why I'm attracted to this job is that I have a lot
of responsibility in ensuring that all of the documentation is correct and up-to-date,
and that the right people have access to it in a speedy fashion."

Office-based jobs such as office manager, clerk, personal assistant or in fact
any junior job are likely to involve a fair chunk of paperwork. So prepare your
response to the question accordingly.

If applying for a job as a sales person or a consultant, however, you'd expect
most of your time to be spent face-to-face with customers or clients. So you may say:

"I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of paperwork and I'd much rather be out on
the road meeting customers and suppliers. But I realise that it needs doing –
otherwise the rest of the team back in the office wouldn't know what orders have
been placed. So I make an effort to get all of my paperwork done at the end of the
day. With every job goes some elements that are less enjoyable, but it doesn't make
them any less important or essential.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 11:45pm On Oct 20, 2015
I. Have you ever broken the rules to get a job done?

The trap in this question is that a ‘yes’ answer can label you as a maverick rule
breaker, while a categorical ‘no’ can make you come across as an inflexible worker.
A big difference exists between breaking a rule occasionally to achieve a benefit
for your organisation and flagrantly breaking rules because you find them restrictive.

When answering this question, explain that you broke a rule only because you
had to react quickly to a situation that would otherwise have meant that your employer
would have lost out. Adding that you ‘technically’ may have broken the rules, but that
others in the team agreed that it was the right course of action, can be a good idea too.

"I have broken the rules, but only because it would otherwise have cost our
company thousands of pounds. We were on a deadline to get hundreds of brochures
printed and delivered to a customer by Friday afternoon. I'm supposed to get my
boss to sign of on spending of over £500, but she fell ill suddenly a few days before
the deadline. So I went ahead and ordered the printing and got the brochures
delivered to the customer because it was what we had discussed doing anyway.
When my boss got back, she agreed that it had been the right thing to do. So while I
have on occasion technically broken the rules, I only did it because I had the
interests of the business in mind."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 1:17pm On Oct 23, 2015
J. Do you take work home with you at weekends?

Answering that you don't take work home at weekends can make you appear
inflexible; answering that you do take work home can make you sound ineffective
during the week. So answer this question by finding a happy medium between the two
options.

"I rarely find that I need to take work home with me at the weekend. I make a
habit of doing as much as I can in the office, and I find that it's easier to work when
you have your colleagues available to discuss ideas with. Having said that, though,
at busy times of the year – for example at year end – I do find myself working all
hours to get everything done before the auditors come in."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 1:20pm On Oct 23, 2015
K. Do you have any doubts about your ability to do the job?

Employers are looking for confident workers who can get on with the job at hand.
I've never seen a job description where they are looking for insecurity as a desirable
trait! So even if you are seeking a much bigger promotion and do secretly harbour
some doubts, let your response show off your more confident side. Be careful,
however, not to sound arrogant by demeaning the job and making it sound as if you
think you can do it in your sleep.
If you think that the interviewer has some doubts about your ability, try to
second-guess what they may be worried about and go on to reassure them that the job
is within your abilities.

"I know that this is a significant leap for me to take on managerial
responsibility, but I've actually been readying myself for it for about a year now.
Even though I have not formally had a team to manage before, I have deputised for
my manager on a number of occasions when she has been on holiday or out of the
office. So I have actually run the rest of the team of four people for up to a week at
a time and delegated to them, checked their work and made sure that they were
happy."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 1:25pm On Oct 23, 2015
L. Don't you think you are overqualified for this job?

The interviewer may be worried that the job is too easy for you and that you may
quickly get bored of it and want to move on. If you don't think that you are
overqualified, then you can ask: It's interesting that you see me as overqualified.
What is it exactly that makes you think that? You can then counter any objections or
worries that the interviewer may have.

But if you think that you actually probably are overqualified, make sure that you
have other compelling reasons to explain why you will stick at the job. For example,
you can talk about wanting a better work–life balance or wanting to join a smaller
company where you have more say in the direction of the business.
Example answers include:

"I realise that I've been managing a team of sales people in my last two roles. But
what I've come to notice more recently is that I actually enjoy dealing with
customers much more than I do managing the team. You could say that I have too
much experience, but for me, this is much more about finding a role that I really
enjoy rather than doing the one that looks better on my CV and pays more."

"I've spent most of the last three years travelling extensively and the truth is that I
miss my family. My children are growing up very quickly, and I don't want to miss
it. Don't get me wrong as I still really enjoy my job, but I need to find something
that will give me a bit more stability."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 1:32pm On Oct 23, 2015
M. Would you have any problems relocating?

Chapter 2 deals with the importance of reading the original job advertisement
and other literature when researching and preparing for an interview – so make sure
that you don't get caught out by this question.
If relocation was never mentioned, then ask why this question has come up. But
never say that you are unwilling to move as it may close the door on the job entirely.
You can then choose from one of the following lines of response:

"I understand that I'll be based in this office until the end of the year, but that you
are thinking of relocating to amalgamate with some of the other functions down in
Basingstoke. That's a big plus when it comes to this job as my partner has just
accepted a job in the south-east of England, and that's one of the reasons that has
prompted me to look for a new job."

"I'm sorry, but I didn't realise that relocation was a possibility. I didn't see any
mention of it in the job advert or anything on your website. But relocation isn't out
of the question as what I've heard so far about this unique role makes it sound ideal
for me. Could you tell me a bit more about the proposed relocation, please?"
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:53pm On Oct 25, 2015
'n. Do you mind travelling?

Just like the last question about relocation, you should already know whether much travel is associated with the job before you step into the interview room.
You can then tailor your response as appropriate:

"I get a real buzz out of travel. There are some people who moan about having to
travel, but it's not a chore for me as I really enjoy driving/flying/taking trains."

"I don't mind having to travel occasionally with work. For example, I had to travel
with the Marketing Director a couple of times a year and spent a couple of nights
each time in Abuja and Porthacourt. But am I right to think that this job will
primarily be based in this office?"
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:54pm On Oct 25, 2015
Part 5- Answering weird and wonderful questions.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:57pm On Oct 25, 2015
Be careful not to sound too rehearsed when responding to the following
questions. The idea in a pressure interview is to come across as cool and collected,
but not as if you have memorised your answers off by heart. If you answer
straightaway without any hesitation at all, then the interviewers may see through you.
So make sure that you at least pretend to give each question a moment's thought!
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:03pm On Oct 25, 2015
A. See this pencil I'm holding? Sell it to me

You may expect this question to be asked of people going into sales, but in fact it
tends to be asked mainly when interviewers want to put non-sales people under
pressure. The interviewers are trying to frighten you with a seemingly odd request.
You can potentially be asked to sell just about anything in sight, from a notebook
to the desk at which the interviewers are sitting.

Sales people have to be good mannered, polite and enthusiastic. Make sure
that your tone of voice, facial expressions and body language display those qualities in
answering this question. Passing this question is not just a case of saying the right
words – it is just as important for you to appear as if you believe in the words, too.
A good tack may be to follow four simple steps to selling anything:

1. Ask the interviewer some questions to establish his need for the item. For example, if
you are asked to sell a potted plant: Do you already own any potted plants? Would
you like to own any more? The interviewer is bound to say no to your questions,
which leads onto the next step.

2. Talk about the features and qualities of the item. Describe the shape and texture of the
leaves; tell the interviewer about the number of flowers and their colour.

3. Next focus on the benefits of the item. For example, a potted plant may make the room
seem greener and more pleasant to work in. It can also relax people who come into the
room and make them feel more at home. Plants also generate oxygen and remove stale
carbon dioxide.

4. Finally, make a strong statement to finish, such as: In summary, I think it's a great
plant and I'd certainly be delighted to have one of these at home. Would you like
one?

If you follow those steps, your eloquence should suitably impress the
interviewer.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:07pm On Oct 25, 2015
B. Who was your favourite teacher?

Even though the question is asking you to name your favourite teacher, make sure
that you're able to explain why he or she was your favourite too. Finish off your
answer by reinforcing some quality that you currently possess as a result of your
favourite teacher.
A couple of examples:

"Miss Saka taught me English until I was 13 years of age. And what has really
stayed with me is the way she brought the characters in books to life. She really
instilled in me the importance of reading – not just for learning, but also for
pleasure. So nowadays I make sure that I read a couple of management or business
biography books to round out my knowledge."

"Mr Afoju taught me A-level chemistry. What I liked about his style was that he
always made us aware of the fact that what we were learning for our exams was not
always the whole truth – that it was a simplified version of what scientists currently
understood about chemistry. So it was his teaching style that really filled me with great passion to pursue a carrier in science. "
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:44pm On Oct 29, 2015
C. If you were an animal, what would you be?

This question definitely falls into the category of silly pop psychology questions.
But remember that you can't tell an interviewer that a question is stupid! The
interviewer is wondering how you see yourself. So be sure to pick an animal with
suitably positive characteristics.

There's no definitive right answer for choosing what sort of animal you'd be.
But lions, tigers and eagles are generally thought to possess more noble qualities than
snakes, weasels, and pigs!
Keep your answer short and sweet in the hope that the interviewer will go on to
ask you a more sensible question:

"I'd say I'm like a wolf because I'm canny and can smell a good story – which isn't a
bad quality in a journalist."

"I'm like an elephant because I can shoulder a large burden. I can take on lots of
work, but also take on the emotional burden of stressed team mates too."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:47pm On Oct 29, 2015
D. If you were a cartoon character, who would you be?

Just like the previous question about animals, this is a ridiculous question. But
grin and bear it. It almost doesn't matter what character you choose so long as you
explain it by talking about some positive job-related characteristics:

"I'm like Hercules in that Disney film. I'm strong and confident – very little gets me
down."

"If I had to pick one, I guess I'm like Bugs Bunny. He never gets taken for a ride and
always has the last laugh!"
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:54pm On Oct 29, 2015
E. Tell me a story

The pitfall to avoid in answering this question is telling a random story not
involving yourself or telling a story that doesn't sell your career achievements.
The best answer is to talk about your career:

"I graduated in 2002 and I've had a variety of roles since then. I started
working in a call centre but quickly decided that I wanted a job that allowed me
more face-to-face customer contact, so I moved into the hotel industry. I started in
a small local chain but got promoted quickly up to desk supervisor and then four
years ago to hotel general manager. But I think that I've learned everything that I
can from managing that small hotel. And as there have been no opportunities within
the company to transfer to another hotel, that's what brings me to this interview
today."

Ensure that the interviewer wants to hear this tale by checking first: Is it okay
if I tell you the story of my career? If the interviewer stops you and insists that you
tell the story of your life outside of work, try to squeeze in a couple of facts about your
career too:

"I was born in aba-eko and grew up there but went to university in
Southampton and graduated in 2002. My first job was working in a call centre but
then I decided that I wanted to move into a job with more face-to-face contact. In
my spare time I'm a keen amateur photographer and a bit of a tennis fanatic. I'm
now a general manager managing a hotel with about 120 staf but on the lookout
for a bigger hotel to run."

This question is not an invitation to tell the interviewer about your entire life
in excruciatingly boring detail from the day you were born. Summarise key facts and
keep your response under two or three minutes at the very most.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:01pm On Oct 29, 2015
F. Who do you most admire and why?

Think back to the list of skills that this particular interviewer's organisation is
looking for. If they have mentioned financial acumen as a key skill, then talk about a
role model who has demonstrated financial acumen. If the employer is on the lookout
for tenacity, then pick someone to talk about who has demonstrated determination in
his or her life. Some examples:

"I really admire Jef Bezos, the Chief Executive of Amazon. Since founding the
company in 1994, he's grown it from a website of interest only to online book
buyers to a giant, offering everything from furniture and clothing to its own range
of tablet computers. I think he does it because he spots trends and invests for the
long-term rather than chasing short-term profitability. I aspire to be as good as he
is."

"The Sales Director where I used to work was a really great role model. She had two
children so always tried to get away by 5.30pm every evening. But she was able to
work at such a pace and get such a huge amount done that leaving on time was
never an issue. She was incredibly focused and had an amazing ability to prioritise
– and I hope that I've picked up some of those traits from her."

Don't just pick one example of someone you admire for every single interview
that you go for. Think through a different answer for every single organisation.
Different organisations look for different skills, so your response must reflect that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

4 Unusual Ways To Get A New Job (True Story) / Is This Query Letter Necessary? Absenteeism From Saturday’s Exercise / 774,000 Jobs: Disregard Messages To Go To NDE Offices To Register - Keyamo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.