Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,838 members, 7,802,683 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:46 PM

Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview (19382 Views)

How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / Is It Fair To Ask The Employees To State The Amount To Be Paid During Interview? / Some Questions Google Asks Potential Employees During Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by hardychris(m): 1:41am On Nov 05, 2015
Same here pls I need. it also thanks christopherchibuike43@yahoo.com
AMZYMAYO:

Please drop your email address
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by Nobody: 2:41am On Nov 05, 2015
Space booked
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by twokilo(m): 11:14am On Nov 05, 2015
AMZYMAYO:
Please drop your email address

killo_ridwan@yahoo.com
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by Abimbex007: 3:26pm On Nov 05, 2015
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 5:05pm On Nov 05, 2015
hardychris:
bros God will really bless you for this, I doubt if anybody willl fail any job interview with this guideline,
Thanks once again.
Thanks for your sweet words. God bless

2 Likes

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:01pm On Nov 06, 2015
K. Tell me about a time you sold something to a customer

Interviewers usually ask this question of candidates applying for sales jobs. If
you have never sold a product or service to an external customer, then talk about when
you sold an idea to an internal customer (a colleague).
Remember that a sale doesn't necessarily need to be anything too grand:

"When I was at university, I had a part-time job in a women's clothing shop. I
remember one time when a woman came in wanting a summer dress for a wedding
reception she was going to. She tried on several dresses but didn't like any of them.
I chatted to her about the wedding and asked what other people would be wearing.
She said that everyone else would probably be wearing summer dresses, so I
suggested to her that she buck the trend by buying a blouse and skirt combination.
She loved the idea and spent over £200 on a complete outfit."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:12pm On Nov 06, 2015
L. Give me an example of a time you exceeded a customer's
expectations

Organisations assume that you can meet a customer's expectations in terms of
being polite and delivering what they expect. But what they really want is candidates
who exceed expectations and delight customers. In fact, a lot of organisations use the
slightly cheesy term customer delight to describe what they're hoping to achieve.
This example demonstrates great customer service:

"We had a really big printing job on recently. The customer had asked for the
materials to be ready for them to pick up on Friday afternoon, but they rang to say
that they were running late. Unfortunately, our shop was due to close at 5 p.m. and
the customer was worried about getting to us on time. I suggested arranging a
courier to deliver the materials, and the customer thought it was a great idea. But
because it was such a big job, I knew that the cost of a courier was relatively small
– so I said that I'd also send the courier free of charge. The customer was
absolutely over the moon and has been using us ever since."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:16pm On Nov 06, 2015
M. Tell me about a time that you failed to achieve your goals

Don't say that you have never failed to achieve your goals because it just sounds
unbelievable. Your best bet is to describe a situation when you did not achieve
everything that you set out to do – a partial failure rather than a complete failure:

"Every month I assemble a report for our area manager. I have to get
information from four departments and write an introduction and executive
summary for the whole report. Two months ago, I emailed each of the department
heads and asked them to write the couple of pages that I needed and told them when
I would need the information. Three departments gave me the information on time,
but one did not. I chased him by email and phone, but he didn't respond. So I went
to this department head's office in person, but he said that he had been too busy and
that the earliest he could get the information together would be two days after my
deadline for the report. However, I persuaded him to spend just ten minutes with me
telling me most of what I needed to know so that I could write his section of the
report. I managed to cobble something together, but everyone knew that that
section of the report wasn't as strong. I did everything that I could, but I'm afraid
that I didn't produce as good a report as I normally do."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:21pm On Nov 06, 2015
N- How did You Respond to the Last Piece of Criticism You Received?

Candidates who say that they don't listen to constructive criticism may as well
say that they're going to be difficult to manage – can you imagine having someone
working for you who won't listen to your constructive criticism? This question is
related to ‘How do you take personal criticism?’
Try working out a response similar to this example:

"Perhaps three or four months ago, my boss said that I didn't always have very
good listening skills. I think that I always do listen when I'm in meetings, so I was a
bit taken aback. I asked her what she meant and after a bit of thought she said that
on occasion she'd seen me not looking at the person speaking or even engaging in
doodling on my notepad. I accepted the feedback – I do have a tendency to doodle
when I'm bored. And even when I'm actually listening, I don't always look at the
person who's talking. But I've taken both bits of criticism on board and make an
effort to not only listen, but to look as if I'm listening too."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:25pm On Nov 06, 2015
O. Give me an example of how you have developed yourself

When outlining ways that you've developed yourself, make sure to indicate that
you were aware of a development need and then took steps to meet that need. For
example, simply talking about courses that your manager insisted you go on doesn't
show your own personal enthusiasm for professional development!
Mention a development need that arose in your last appraisal. Alternatively,
think about the skill areas where you used to be – but are no longer – weak.
Here are two examples of ways in which you, as a candidate, can say that you've
developed yourself:

"In my last performance evaluation, my manager suggested that I needed to become
more familiar with the basics of employment law to add more value to the line
managers that I support. So I researched appropriate courses and how much they
cost. I made a proposal to my manager, and he signed off for me to attend a two-day
workshop on the topic back in November. Since then, I've become much more
comfortable discussing with line managers the rules and potential problems
associated with hiring and firing decisions."

"I've worked quite hard on developing my sales skills. I've always had good
customer skills, but until recently had never had to sell to customers. When I first
started working in my current job, I didn't really understand that we would have
sales targets to reach, and I struggled to achieve them. So I watched some of the
good sales assistants and tried to pick up on some of the techniques and phrases
they used. Over the last year or so, I have been working hard at improving my sales
skills, and I've been meeting my targets for the last three months."

Don't forget to talk in the first person when describing what happened. Use
phrases such as I did . . . or I decided to . . . rather than My manager told me to . . . .
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:28pm On Nov 06, 2015
End of part 5, hope you have gained immensely from this part. We will be looking into part 6 very soon.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:30pm On Nov 06, 2015
Part 6- Questions for Graduate and School leavers
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:33pm On Nov 06, 2015
Before I proceed, for those of you following: talk2yommex2000, and my other silent followers, what have you gained so far? Anyone with valuable contribution as we are here to learn from each other?

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 10:56pm On Nov 07, 2015
A lot of interviewers say that they'd rather interview candidates who have a few
years of work experience rather than graduates or school leavers. Interviewers often
say that graduates and school leavers don't have anything interesting to talk about. So
your job is to prove those interviewers wrong (with a bit of help from this part).
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by talk2yommex2000(m): 11:34pm On Nov 07, 2015
AMZYMAYO:
Before I proceed, for those of you following: talk2yommex2000, and my other silent followers, what have you gained so far? Anyone with valuable contribution as we are here to learn from each other?

Yes Bro., I must confess that you are doing a great job here. I've been able to gain a lot from this thread as far as Interview is concern. You've been able to shed more light on it that preparation is the key to doing well at job interviews and finally securing the job. I really like most of the sample answers to the questions. Thanks and more power to your elbow.

3 Likes

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:01pm On Nov 08, 2015
talk2yommex2000:

Yes Bro., I must confess that you are doing a great job here. I've been able to gain a lot from this thread as far as Interview is concern. You've been able to shed more light on it that preparation is the key to doing well at job interviews and finally securing the job. I really like most of the sample answers to the questions. Thanks and more power to your elbow.
Bro, you are a sagacity! What an impressive answer you gave.

2 Likes

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:06pm On Nov 08, 2015
* Questions for Graduates

Interviewers want to hire graduates who have some direction and purpose in
their lives. The truth is that quite a lot of young people (me included!) went to
university mainly because their parents or school expected them to, rather than
because they carefully weighed up the opportunities and options available to them.
However, telling that to an interviewer is career suicide.

Many of the questions in this part are relevant if you've recently completed
any sort of course or professional qualification – from an MBA to an PMP. So for
‘university’, the interviewers can equally substitute ‘college’, ‘business school’,
‘academy’ or the name of your training body or organisation.

With all the following questions, the interviewers are looking for evidence
that you weighed up pros and cons and came to a sensible choice.
If you're reading this part after dropping out of university, without actually
graduating, see the aspect ‘Why did you leave before you finished your university
course?’ for help with your answer.

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:09pm On Nov 08, 2015
A. Why did you leave before you finished your university course?

Quitting before you graduate can be quite a blot on your CV. Make sure that you have a compelling
reason why you decided to leave.
If you can, try to talk about the options that you considered before quitting.

"I thought the course would be a good way to pursue a career in the music industry.
But after the first year, I realised that I wasn't learning anything I hadn't already
learned in some of my part-time jobs and work experience. I spent quite a long time
thinking about it – leaving my course wasn't a snap decision. But ultimately I
decided to leave rather than waste another two years and thousands of naira
going over skills that I've already acquired."

"I started the course because I've always wanted to work in finance. But I quickly
discovered that I wasn't ready to spend three years doing a degree. I wanted to
enter the workforce and earn a living for a while. I'm still keen to pursue further
qualifications, but intend to do a practical part-time course while I continue to
work rather than do a theoretical full-time course."
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:14pm On Nov 08, 2015
B. Why did you choose to go to the university you went to?

The candidates who give the best answers to this question are likely to mention
that they did careful and thorough research on the reputation of the particular
department and the subsequent employability of graduates leaving that course. A lot of
graduates also talk about the importance of having good facilities and physical
resources such as libraries and laboratories.

Saying that you were attracted to a particular city or location because of its
lively social life is okay. But mention this only after you have listed three or four
other, more compelling reasons.

"Having done biology, history and maths at school, I knew that I wanted to read
psychology, so I researched the top departments in the country. However, I decided that I wanted a four-year course that offered an industry placement, as I felt that having a year's practical work experience would put me in a much stronger position than graduates who had spent three years studying theory without experiencing its
application."

Many people accept places at university through the clearing system. If this
applies to you, still explain why you decided to take the offer you were made.

"I was offered my place through clearing. My priority in deciding whether to
take it or not was to ensure that I would still be picking up useful skills that would
make me employable in business. When I rang the department to ask more about the
course, they talked about the kinds of jobs that graduates end up in. And certainly,
you've invited me for an interview today – and this is my dream job – so it was the
right choice at the time to accept the offer."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:16pm On Nov 08, 2015
C. Your university results aren't very good – why is that?

If you honestly have a good reason why you weren't able to perform to the best of
your ability – such as personal illness or extremely difficult family circumstances –
then of course mention it.

If you don't have a compelling reason, try to convince the interviewers that
you're simply more suited to the world of work than studying.

"Even though I only got a lower second overall, you'll see that I actually got an
upper second for my assessed essays and final-year dissertation. I have to admit
that I've always found written exams very difficult because I find it hard to
memorise large volumes of information. But I excel in practical work when a
project is more open-ended and I can use my resourcefulness. And I believe that the
kind of work I would be doing in your company would be based more on research
and analytical skills than learning facts off by heart."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:21pm On Nov 08, 2015
D. Why did you choose your degree subject?

The interviewer is interested in whether you made an informed decision or not.
Mention any research you did and how you weighed up pros and cons.
Take a look at these examples:

"I enjoyed maths at O level, but didn't want to plump for a subject purely because I
enjoyed it. So I got some prospectuses from mathematics departments and did some
research online. When I found out that maths graduates go on to all sorts of careers
– 85 per cent of graduates go into careers unrelated to mathematics – I decided
that it wouldn't curtail my later career options."

"I went to a couple of university open days and visited the politics departments and
learnt quite a bit about the nature of the subject. What most influenced me was the
fact that a degree in politics gives you the skills to analyse and deconstruct
arguments, which I thought would be invaluable in whatever profession I ended up
in."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:25pm On Nov 08, 2015
E. What have you learnt from being at university?

Interviewers are rarely interested in the exact content of your degree unless you
studied a vocational course such as medicine or engineering and are applying for jobs
in that field. If you think such questions may apply to you, check out-
‘Answering technical questions about your course’. Instead, think about the skills that
you picked up, such as:

*Researching; gathering qualitative or quantitative data; analysing data; critically
evaluating arguments.

*Writing reports and presenting information at tutorials or seminars.

*Multi-tasking – juggling multiple assignments or part-time work or other commitments
outside of studying.

*Working in teams with other students, for example, presenting arguments and looking
for the pros and cons in different points of view.

*Writing and delivering presentations.

*Raising funds, managing budgets and organising events on behalf of societies or
charities.
Here's an example demonstrating a graduate's learning experiences:

"More than anything, university has given me the skills to approach open-ended
problems and evaluate how to tackle them. In approaching every assignment, I had
to decide how much time to spend on it and what information I needed to gather
before critically appraising the arguments and coming to my own conclusions."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by EngrBouss(m): 6:38am On Nov 09, 2015
Please click this link www.nairaland.com/engrbouss for software packages on engineering, accounting, programming and much more. They all come with tutorial training videos for self training to increase your chances for a better job prospect..... You can contact me on 07087210933
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
F. How do you think your degree is relevant to this job?

This question is a more forthright version of What have you learnt from being at
university. In answering the question, try to relate
the skills from your degree to those necessary for the job.
Don't fall into the trap of talking about course content, as most interviewers
will just start to glaze over!

"I think my degree is very relevant because of the skills that I picked up. I spent most
of the last three years researching for essays and discussion groups, so I learnt a
lot about critically evaluating information and thinking about the best way to
present arguments."

"I feel that I have acquired transferable skills that will help me to get on in this job.
We worked mainly in teams, so I have a good sense of how to negotiate with team
members and organise other people to get a project done on time. And because we
had a tight budget, we couldn't always do what we initially wanted to do, so I've
learnt a lot about finding creative solutions to problems."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
G. I don't see why someone with your degree would want to
work in our field

Perhaps you read philosophy at university but now want to work in investment
banking. Maybe you studied physics, but now want to work in market research. Or
your degree was in art history, but you decide to pursue a career in advertising.
Whatever the case, give a compelling reason to explain your apparent change of
direction

"Despite having enjoyed my chemistry course, I have come to realise over the last
year that I don't want a career in chemical research. The pace of research – even in
industry – is relatively slow, and the work can be quite solitary. I want a career
that's faster paced and more team-orientated. Added to that, I've enjoyed the
numerical side of my course – and for those reasons, I think finance would suit me."

"I chose to study French at university because it was my favourite A level. What I
have enjoyed most in my degree is the fact that I'm constantly communicating with
people – whether in writing or in person. It's important for me to find a job that I
can see myself progressing in for at least ten years. And the fact that publishing is
about communicating and disseminating ideas to a wider audience is incredibly
appealing to me."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:20pm On Nov 11, 2015
H. What did you most enjoy about your time at university?

Foolish candidates may slip up by admitting that they most enjoyed the partying.
A more canny answer to this question is to talk about how you enjoyed developing
your skills.
Think about the nature of the job that you are being interviewed for. What
skills would the interviewers be most interested in hearing you talk about?

"I got the biggest buzz from working with others. I did enjoy researching
assignments, but I looked forward most to tutorials and workshops in which we got
to discuss our results and debate issues with class mates."

"My course taught me problem-solving skills. School had always been frustrating
because it focused on learning information parrot-fashion. But I enjoyed my course
because it was about facing problems and applying my creativity to finding
solutions."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:24pm On Nov 11, 2015
I. What did you find the most difficult about your course?

Don't try to claim that nothing was difficult – the interviewers may think that you
lack the ability to critically evaluate your own strengths and weaknesses.
A great answer is to say that you found some elements of the course difficult
initially, but later developed your skills in those areas and have now conquered them.

"In my first year, I didn't really enjoy the tutorials because I used to be quite a quiet
individual when I was at school, so I didn't feel comfortable speaking up. But over
the course of three years, I got much more confident and now my tutor – who is one
of my referees – describes me as a confident individual and a valued contributor to
debates and discussions."

"In my first few months, I used to struggle with time management. Assignments are
so open-ended that I used to find it difficult to curtail my enthusiasm for a topic.
But I quickly learned that I couldn't read round a topic endlessly. I needed to focus
on gathering just enough information to produce a good assignment. So now I'm
much more pragmatic in my approach to work."

"Having studied social science rather than science A levels, I really hated the
statistics to begin with. And my first-year results reflect that. But I was determined
not to let it be my weak point, so I bought some books on the subject and got some
tutoring from a friend who was also doing a lot of stats on his course. And I'm
pleased that I can now say that I'm as good a statistician as any of the other people
who completed my course."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 8:28pm On Nov 11, 2015
J. What did you do outside of your studies?

Employers sometimes get it into their heads that students are lazy good-for-nothings, only interested in partying and sleeping in. Even if that description fits, you
don't need me to tell you to avoid talking about those wilder aspects of your student
life!

"I was treasurer of our departmental society. I was elected into the post by the
students in our year. As a member of the committee, I was responsible for helping to
organise events such as the departmental fair for prospective students as well as
the welcoming party for first-year students."

"I was very much involved with my hall of residence. We had various sports teams,
and I played on the rugby and cricket teams, which involved a weekly training
session and matches about once every two weeks. In addition, I helped out with
events at the hall of residence. For example, every time we had a themed party or
ball, I would help with producing posters and selling tickets."

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:12pm On Nov 11, 2015
K. What further education do you think you will need for this
job?

In order to answer this question, you must research the nature of the job and the
industry in order to find out what qualifications are necessary to get on.
Even if you don't intend to study for any qualifications soon, talk about your
willingness to do them in the future.
Tailor the answer that is right for you based upon one of these examples:

"I've been working as a child minder for three years now, so I guess the time is
approaching for me to further my knowledge by pursuing an NVQ. A couple of my
colleagues at my current nursery are doing it at the moment and seem to be getting
a lot out of it."

"In order to progress, I need to deepen my understanding of international trade law.
Whether I do a Master's in the subject or can learn enough about it on the job isn't
immediately apparent to me. However, it is certainly something that I will be
looking further into once I have left my current company and settled into a new one.
I know that I haven't had very much experience of marketing or the public relations
side of what we do. But rather than study a course or take exams on the subject, I think I would gain most by taking a placement or being seconded for a stint in a
marketing department. Would that be an option if I were to join your business?"

1 Like

Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by Akfol(f): 12:19am On Nov 12, 2015
Please i want to know the type of question an interviewer expects from his/her candidate.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by talk2yommex2000(m): 3:07am On Nov 12, 2015
Thumbs up bro. Still following.
Re: Interview Exposed-Some Of The Things You Need To Know Before & During Interview by AMZYMAYO(m): 9:36am On Nov 12, 2015
Akfol:
Please i want to know the type of question an interviewer expects from his/her candidate.
Good question madam. Never ask question about salary, holidays etc for a start. You may consider asking some of these questions:
1. Is this a new position? If not, what happened to the person that held the position before?
2.What kind of skills must the person they are trying to appoint have?
3. The culture and organization background
4. How many hours and days will you be working.

And if you have done your home work- run a check on the organization before the interview- you may ask about a new product launch, how they are coming with competitors, etc. I hope it helps.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Schlumberger Recruitment Email Address / NDA Releases List Of Successful Candidates For 73rd Regular Course / Shell Recruitment Day 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.