Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Our Nightly War on Rats: A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Our Nightly War on Rats: A Short Story (465 Views)

Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Nightly War on Rats: A Short Story by drpossibilities(m): 7:09am On Aug 29, 2015
"The only excitement i remember at Giligili was our nightly war on rats. We had two rooms in the large iron roofed house with its earth walls and floor. My sister,her husband and two small children slept in one and the rest of us -three boys- shared the other with bags of rice, garri, beans and other foodstuff. And,of course, the rats. They came and sank their holes where the floor and the walls met. As soon as night fell they emerged to eat the grains while we sat around the open fire in the kitchen. You could never get at them because as soon as you entered the room with a lamp they flew into their two holes. We tried getting them with little iron traps the blacksmiths made,on which you attached a bait- usually a mass piece of dried fish. But after one or two of them got killed the rest learnt to avoid that fishy bait. It was then we decided to go hunting. I,,or one of the others, would tiptoe in the dark and quietly plug the holes with pieces of rag while the rest waited outside with sticks. After a reasonable interval those outside would charge in with a lamp, slam the door and the massacre would begin. It worked very well. As a rule we did not kill the very small ones; we saved them up for the future... Now all that seemed half a century away"

(1) (Reply)

APPLY FOR - FT And Oppenheimerfunds Launch Emerging Voices Arts Awards 2016 - / I Stand / Lantern

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.