Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments (1015 Views)

Buhari Turning Nigeria Into A Police State - Amnesty International / Is Buhari Turning Out To Be As Clueless As Jonathan? / Is Buhari Turning Nigeria To A Sunni Islamic Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by abdulkayus(m): 8:00am On Aug 29, 2015
BUHARI: TURNING APPOINTMENTS INTO DISAPPOINTMENTS
By Jaafar Jaafar
Ponder over this Hausa proverb: “sawun keke ba’a gane gabanka”, which roughly translates to “a bicycle’s contact patch does not tell where it comes from or where it heads to”, and see how it aptly describes Nigeria’s president, Muhammadu Buhari.
Bearing in mind the current realities in our polity, how would you, in your wildest dream, think the Secretary to the Government of the Federation will come from the North? The very North that has a President, a Senate President, a Speaker, an SGF, a Head of Service, a Chief of Staff, a Chief Justice, and what not?
While Mr. President is likened to the proverbial “sawun keke”, the pigmentation of his appointments may be likened to “birgimar hankaka”, literally meaning the wallow of a pied crow. When a pied crow wallows, the Hausa say, you will see both the white patch on its gullet and the black plumage that covers most of the bird’s body.
In the appointment of the GMD of NNPC, President Buhari showed Nigerians the “white” patch on his gullet. But like crow, as he lurches and rolls over yesterday, Nigerians saw the “other” – thank my euphemism – side of the president.
I was working on a story in the newsroom when I received a call from someone close to the president complaining bitterly about the political danger of frustrating politicians in making political appointments, and also the skewed nature of the appointments. “Haji Jaafar,” he said after exchanging pleasantries, “you have to say something about this issue. The president wants to appoint Abba Kyari as Chief of Staff. Why are most of the appointments mainly going to North East.” I can sense his bias.
As usual, I bared my mind, telling him that the president should watch his step as “there is election after every election”. I also told him, matter-of-factly, that the president’s appointments should bear political colour since politicians bankrolled his campaigns and worked for his success.
Few hours after we spoke, the president’s spokesman, Femi Adesina, formally released the story. Adesina himself is one of the wrong appointments President Buhari made. Adesina may be professionally competent to handle the job, but as I said previously Dele Alake, Dele Momodu and Abike Dabiri-Erewa are both professionally and politically competent to handle the job.
Buhari suffered for 12 years trying to prove to the world that he was neither religious bigot nor ethnic champion nor clannish (the very word I often used to describe Jonathan). During campaign, in a bid to show that he was true a Nigerian, Buhari wore all manner of dresses – from Yoruba’s kembe, dansiki and sokoto to Igbo’s okpu agu hat, ukara, wrapper and corals, down to Ijaw’s bowler hat and knee-level black kaftans. It is surprising to note that President Buhari never dressed in this manner since he won election. Wearing these dresses tell a message. His failure to wear them today is not a crime, please. But remember, he wore them for a reason, which is still relevant.
It is also surprising that after battling the ethnic agenda stereotypes for 12 years, Buhari’s actions, especially in making appointments, have ethnic bias. Buhari made no clear attempt to free himself from the stereotypes that swarmed, like bees, around him and stung his presidential ambition several times. It makes me angry when I see those who gave Buhari the antidote being relegated.
But the Buhari defence league, especially on social media, always argue that “there are over 6,000 appointments at his desk”, and so Nigerians should be patient with him. What I always tell these drummers is that the president is causing unnecessary image crisis for himself, especially in a section of the country. I would also add that even military regimes gauge public perceptions in key decisions.
About a week or so I lamented in this column about Buhari’s failure to make key appointments three months after assuming office as president. And here we are – lamenting after he made the appointments. Of course he filled the key vacuums but not the way every right-thinking person would expect. The outcry that greeted the president’s latest appointments is even louder than his failure to make the appointments.
It is wrong for a diverse nation like Nigeria to have a President, a Senate President, a Speaker, an SGF, a Head of Service, a Chief of Staff, a Chief Justice, from a section of the country. It is also politically wrong to go beyond any one in the trio Rotimi Amaechi, Obonnaya Onuh and Chris Ngige when appointing an SGF or Chief of Staff.
Every right-thinking person would think President Buhari will pick one of them. What is the fault of these Nigerians who were abused by their kinsmen for teaming up with Buhari? What is the fault of these Nigerians (particularly Rotimi Amaechi) who committed their resources to making the dream of Nigerians of having Buhari as president come true? What is the fault of these Nigerians who were abused for telling their people that Buhari was not a tribalist, Buhari is true Nigerian, Buhari loves Ndigbo? I remember a lie told that Buhari’s daughter is married to an Igbo man – all in a bid to tell the world Buhari is detribalised!
If after waiting for three months these are the characters Buhari is vetting to appoint, then I am really disappointed in his appointments.

Source: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=924527590942425&id=378378918890631&p=40&refid=52&_ft_=qid.6188308002489108330%3Amf_story_key.-6974277929288390358%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by INTROVERT(f): 8:01am On Aug 29, 2015
okay
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by benedictnsi(m): 8:02am On Aug 29, 2015
This is not a "share the money" dispensation..... It is a revolutionary administration so let's shun every act of condemnation, salute with a standing ovation and then be at attention and embrace the manifestation.......

PMB will affect some people's lives with "Affection", and infect others with infection.... His administration will lead some bad ones to frustration and place some in Perfection just that the igbos are Still placed in Isolation.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by marshalcarter: 8:03am On Aug 29, 2015
OooooOooOooooOwkay
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by bigiyaro(m): 8:05am On Aug 29, 2015
every disappiontment is a blessin
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by hucienda: 8:10am On Aug 29, 2015
The bitter truth.
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by piicity(m): 8:12am On Aug 29, 2015
Lols,sai baba come see
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by temitemi1(m): 8:14am On Aug 29, 2015
Ameachi cry
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by ddddon(m): 8:16am On Aug 29, 2015
we gave the President our Mandate.
now all is asking is for us to trust him.
"is he asking for too much"
I certainly don't think so.
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 29, 2015
Still observing. The fullness of time is yet to come.
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by Nobody: 8:31am On Aug 29, 2015
The problem with we Nigerians is that everybody feels like he's a big sheik who thinks his own ideology is the infallible..... Mehn, leave Buhari haylone !!! Let him die before you start arranging for his burial! He has his plans, knows who will key in for every job!
All these ethno-centralist attitudes will only take us to the land af 'had I known'. We can't continue to do things tha same old way gademit!!!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by robosky02(m): 8:33am On Aug 29, 2015
temitemi1:
Ameachi cry

lols...
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by Bobbystanley(m): 8:35am On Aug 29, 2015
bigiyaro:
every disappiontment is a blessin
No dissapointment is ever a Blesssing rather, . Every dissapointment is a Lesson.
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by bonechamberlain(m): 8:38am On Aug 29, 2015
let pmb continue to deal with them, the only person I respect is onu, that man has tried so much in opposition politics, an incorruptible personality.
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by themilanway(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2015
I'm double sure that same people mocking Amaechi,Onu,Fashola,Ngige for missing out on the chief of staff and SGF will be same people that will still go to town mocking Buhari's anti corruption mantra,going by the graft allegation hanging on these afrore mentioned names.

What exactly do people want?
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by doctokwus: 9:00am On Aug 29, 2015
PMB, though good intentioned, has ended up creating unnecessary backlash against himself,in the process,shifting the discourse from the remarkable feats of his,just within the first 3months,to if he wants to marginalize a section of the country.
Its also quite unfortunate that what should even have been positives for him in these key appointments has also been lost in the shadow of his perceived sectionalism,and that is that perhaps for the first time,a ruler from a majority,largely Muslim north,has appointed a minority,christian from d same north as the SGF!This would have become a positive for him if he had appointed a COS from the South and delayed the announcement of the substantive immigration boss and customs chief,who cannot be faulted on the merits of his appointment,till he had announced sufficient other appointees from the southern zone.
These appointments were clearly poorly timed and with a little tinkering would have come out better.
PMB is now left with an unnecessary burden he has heaped on himself;to go all out to look for those he believes in,particularly from the southeast and core south south to fill some of his other posts.
He must now deliberately shift this unneeded discourse from the colouration of his govt, to his great strides so far and the enormous promise of his govt.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 29, 2015
Hmmmmmm.....the truth is always bitter to those who never want to know it. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by PedroJP(m): 10:31am On Aug 29, 2015
How come his pple are not defending him the way sophisticated fools are doing ?
Re: Buhari: Turning Appointments Into Disappointments by bigiyaro(m): 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2015
Bobbystanley:

No dissapointment is ever a Blesssing rather, . Every dissapointment is a Lesson.
every disappointment is a blessin

(1) (Reply)

List Of Northern Appointees Under GEJ / Photos: Buhari, Osinbajo, Saraki, Dogara At Independence Day Celebration / APC Sues Fayose Over Composition Of SIEC- Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.