Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Inter-tribal Relationships - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Inter-tribal Relationships (24957 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by BrownEyes4(f): 10:57am On Oct 12, 2006
-----Anyway-------------

As long as there are people keeping up with the division of cultures as we can see on this thread, Pan-African may never set out to achieve what it wants to achieve. What it has been hoping for is the redevelopment of Africa but instead Africans have been running away whilst other nations are coming over to settle.

Over here Africans have begun to realise what is happening and have to some extent overcome this division of cultures hence you find a number of Yorubas with Igbos, Igbos with Caribbean etc and they find they can keep their own cultural identity at the same time acknowledge their partners culture.

A lot of Caribbeans have settled in Ethiopia and Ghana so Sista there is progress, slowly but surely.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by mamaput(f): 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2006
We keep Telling our Children" be yourself."
Why should[b] MY [/b] not be its self.
To become one ,we have to give up many things to be like the others.
And we do not want to be the others.
we are not the others we are us.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 12, 2006
is hatred for black people equal to love for the whites?smiley
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by angelz(f): 3:51pm On Oct 12, 2006
Dat's 1 tin l luv most. Inter-tribal mariag. Cus it'l giv u d oportunity 2 learn frm odas tribe. Take ur time. Dnt make ur parent fel dt u r disobeyin dem. At let dem realiz dat u r mature enuf, dat ur decisn was nt born out of fatuatn bt real luv. N u r sure he'l make u apy. Suces.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 6:22pm On Oct 12, 2006
@Radiant

lmao

So am I, Lmao
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 6:24pm On Oct 12, 2006
@Adeoba

is hatred for black people equal to love for the whites?

It is for those black people who are afraid of these words "Black Unification"
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Sista(f): 6:32pm On Oct 12, 2006
@Browneyes

A lot of Caribbeans have settled in Ethiopia and Ghana so Sista there is progress, slowly but surely.

Wow, it feels good to hear about that progress.

I guess the Carribeans are relocating to Ethiopia because of Halle Sallase. He began that movement when he relocated to the Caribbean to help those Black Jamaicans. He told them that they were not ready to go back to Ethiopia at this time but that they had to get their self together spiritually before they went back. I guess some of them got it together.

Browneyes, did you get my email? I sent you two on accident, disregard the first one because it is full of typo's and it is incomplete. The second one is th complete one and I cleaned out the mistakes.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by BrownEyes4(f): 1:44am On Oct 13, 2006
adeoba:

is hatred for black people equal to love for the whites?smiley

In the case of black people hating their own, yes.
Michael jackson a prime example. He even went as far to ensure his children came out as white - not even mixed was good enough for him.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by 4Play(m): 10:03am On Oct 13, 2006
Relationships last longer were the partners share a lot in common in their background
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 13, 2006
Ibo-european-american. no yorubas please embarassed
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by BrownEyes4(f): 10:26am On Oct 13, 2006
adeoba:

Ibo-european-american. no yorubas please embarassed

What is wrong with Yoruba?
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 13, 2006
too much sex. can't cope.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by earthrealm(m): 12:07pm On Oct 13, 2006
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
adeoba:

too much sex. can't cope.

so yoruba girls too like sex?

LMAO!!!!, kiss
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 13, 2006
they go . . .!
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 5:18pm On Oct 13, 2006
You people never cease to amaze me grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by twinkledew(f): 6:49pm On Oct 14, 2006
why are you guys hating on white peeps. leave them alone. if u don't want to date them fine but don't hate and be racist as well. undecided
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by twinkledew(f): 6:50pm On Oct 14, 2006
Dumb thread.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by superman(m): 1:32am On Oct 15, 2006
twinkledew  who is hating on white people! which one u dey! ha when home secretary in london said them muslem women should stop dressing like masqurade wey de chase market women ! was he hating if im allowed to ask! when US says North korean and IRan shouldnt be allowed to have nuclear weapon was he hating ! na carze de wori some people in this thread.

its high time black people across the globe shuold keep their crocodile eyes on people like u course u look like enemy of progress . dnt u think? when white people went to Zimbabeaw took their best land and even throw the blacks in the crocodile lake because the white farmer thinks he is lazy, now where are people like u. make u carry time mind how una de run your mouth sometimes corse martin luter king wake up u are a dead meat for real.

just wondering up till 2date russia still dnt trust the west even china dnt either ! all are rowing  cleverly ha. when its comes to blacks it becomes a hate ! clever we stand united we will be in black! kiss it leave it
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 7:03am On Oct 15, 2006
twinkledew:

Dumb thread.
The fact u said this is a dumb thread, gives me the impression u're dumb undecided
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by BrownEyes4(f): 1:11pm On Oct 15, 2006
@ Superman

smiley
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by chinani(f): 6:30pm On Oct 15, 2006
True talk, Superman

As long as long as there is MTV Base, Africans will always suffer from self hate. The Caucasians started this snowball effect and we as Africans have no intention of bringing it to a stop.
Thought I was the only person who noticed this. But then BET is now owned by Viacom, making it MTV in Blackface. Sad. Just sad.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by twinkledew(f): 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2006
Dont go there Radiant.

U r prbly the dumb one.

@superman

About the home secretary thingy that was a nasty thing to say. i am not an enemy of progress. "Don't label me" i was just passing my opinion. u either like it or hate it. the fact that white peeps took the good part in Zimbabwe does not mean all of them are like that. do not generalize everyone.
Some stuffs about white peeps gets me angry but hey i do not classify everyone to be the same thing. if u don't like them fine but do not insult all of them. if all the white peeps react the way u lot do tell me how will the world feel like. it will be like the days of Luther King.

We shld all know better now.

i am not against any one either you are black, white etc. it is one love have got for everyone.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2006
Twinky, don't go where? I hear you
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by superman(m): 8:28pm On Oct 16, 2006
twinkledew

u spoken but emmm this superman is down in black im afraid.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by twinkledew(f): 10:36pm On Oct 16, 2006
@ superman
good luck to you.

as for me i am down with any colour. i am not brought up to discriminate

@ Radiant
i am shaking me head and smiling.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 10:40pm On Oct 16, 2006
Good for you
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by twinkledew(f): 8:59am On Oct 17, 2006
;d
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by superman(m): 7:43pm On Oct 17, 2006
twinkledew 

good for u ! im not here to play silly games rite! i aint fake and everything im saw , seen and still seeing are raw and real rite, when i sat in my house with my Tv in front and i saw a passengers plane hit one of them towers in new york i knew i wasnt watching hollywood movie straight away u feel me . what u see i s what u will be getting and what u get is what u see! no time for games and i repeat black people should keep their eyes on people like u for real. dnt try to act for me no time for that life is bigger than that hmmm. we soldiers in God s times u heard!

when i say im down on my black does that mean im discriminating ! im what god made me and i will also be and i dnt give a toss about people like u course we already know what the outcome is whenever we come around! hmm jealous just joking. i aint a blonde fan if u care to know prosecutor! im not then ones when the mingle with white people they turn around say oh u see why white people are better ! what a fool and a sell-out. watch what happen when superman hit the street on his black! i smell jealous for real ! so good luck with your style.

just wondering to all the people that think colour dnt matter, damn i love my black till thy kingdom come, have u noticed when black people are being put down in this nairaland some people seemed to be jubilating but watch what happen when u talk about white people, their white partner, and s hit now sit back watch what happen!

twinkledew  so once again good luck! with your style
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by shygirl(f): 1:44pm On Oct 18, 2006
me, am yoruba and would love to marry Niger Delta guy.But if am to marry a yoruba dude, don't pray 2 marry some1 from my state.but really people are different even from the same home.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 7:53pm On Oct 18, 2006
Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Kalabari, Efik, Ijaw, Ibibio, Tiv, Junkun, Birom, Edo, Urhobo etc. Who cares? The truth is that the good, the bad and the ugly exist in every tribe. People often try to make it seem as if their own tribe consists of saints, while the next tribe is made up of sinners.  Puh-leeze!!

Like I stated before, I have seen people marry from the same tribe and their marriages broke up in a short while, and vice versa. I have also seen people from different tribes getting married and those marriages stood the test of time, and vice versa. What am I saying? There is no proof that marrying from your tribe would guarantee longevity of your union. And there is no proof that marrying from outside your tribe would work against you. All marriages need work. Hard work. Marriages fail because partners have stopped communicating or loving each other. Period. If they still communicated or loved each other, they would take the time and effort to work through their differences, whether they are marital, physical or financial. Please browse the internet to read about expatriate women who married Nigerians, left their countries and followed their partners to set up a home here in Naija and have been here for many years. Some of these women belong to an association known as Nigerwives. So if some of these foreigners can marry Naija men or women and make those marriages work, why can't Naija men and women from different tribes, hook up, get married and make their marriages work??

Most parents that oppose inter-tribal marriages do so out of fear and ignorance. A lot of stereotypes have been bandied around and they have swallowed a lot of those stereotypes, believing them to be true.

The Igbo guy who wants to marry a Yoruba girl who is abroad, just needs to get close to her family especially the mum. He should pay her visits, as often as he can. He must try to show the mum absolute deference and respect. He should also try to take care of her daughter (i.e. the girl he wants to marry) so that people can see his loving, caring gestures and cite them in his favour. Over a period of time, as her mother gets used to his respectful, decent manners, she will change her opinion. Some mothers object to their daughters prospective suitors or fiances because, they are afraid of losing their daughters. A proverb says that[i] "you do not give up anything that is valuable to you, easily." [/i]

Finally, most Yoruba parents object when their kids initially bring home their prospective partners, because that person is a stranger to them. but the truth is, that while they are objecting, they are busy conducting background checks in to the prospective partner's background and lineage. They want to know what the family stands for, what kind of values they uphold, if that person has been married before and is hiding this fact from them, or if the person's family has a history of madness, sickness, evil habits or witchcraft. Don't laugh!  embarassed

I know it sounds funny. But it is a tradition that most south-western families (except maybe, some Lagos-based families) still believe strongly in. After those checks are conducted, and they are satisfied with the outcome, then they usually give their consent. Sometimes when the parental consent is delayed, the intending couple can talk to some elders who are well-known to their parents to intervene and convince their parents to give the much-needed approval. There is a proverb that says: "What an elder can see sitting down, a young person may not see it, even if he stands up."

Most parents believe that when you get married, you are not just marrying your spouse alone, you are marrying into the whole family. I guess that's why the Yoruba traditional engagement ceremony is called the idana
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 10:26pm On Oct 18, 2006
About Nigerwives, I can tell you that only 20-30% of their marriages still stand today. The rest are history.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by chinani(f): 11:30pm On Oct 18, 2006
Laudate you said some 'good' things before but Niger wives. . . undecided

I stumbled on the website before and quite frankly it's lame.

It's a group of oyinbo (foreigner! using it as a loan word sha, don't crucify me!) talking big like they deserve a medal for having Nigerian husbands. *eye roll*

It's the same shiit with new wrapping paper. Wholly unimpressed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Learning From the Life of HungerBad / The Amhara People Of Ethiopia / Meet Felix A. Mujakperuo: A Rtd Major General Who Is Now A First Class King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.