Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,391 members, 7,781,122 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:23 AM

Inter-tribal Relationships - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Inter-tribal Relationships (24885 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Should Inter-tribal Marriages Be Encouraged? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by chinani(f): 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2006
Radiant:
Talking about them "bragging" and "praising themselves", in what sense d'u mean that isn't clear to me?

Bragging about how the men beat them? Or how they maltreat them? Or how they ground them? Or how the men solely depend on the women to feed their asses and clothe them? Or is it the marital unfaithfulness?

Can you please tell me what they brag about?
Chinani I was asking you the above questions. I wanted to know if it was the above they brag about or other things? shocked

I didn't say that's what you said.

Neway, takia
No, I've never heard anyone brag about the above, as in brag about beatings or unfaithfulness etc.

mochafella:

Mentacide maybe? grin
You're bad! grin
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 10:33pm On Oct 25, 2006
lol

Chi baby! You missin my point. I'm asking you, what do they brag about? lol
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by chinani(f): 11:06pm On Oct 25, 2006
Radiant:

lol

Chi baby! You missin my point. I'm asking you, what do they brag about? lol
Oh sorry, I must be slow today. I meant bragging about themselves as in forming an exclusive group for the sake of feeling "better than others". (I'm not against self-help or self-esteem.)
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 6:45pm On Oct 26, 2006
Chi baby, never mind.I guess you can't be faster than this grin grin grin

Takia wink
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 4:37pm On Oct 27, 2006
Radiant:

Laudate, what's your point?

Did I condemn all the marriages?

Did I say they only stay 'cause of the kids?

You only chose to emphasize on these two huh?

You said in one of your posts that "if these women can make their marriages work, then why can't Nigerian women married to Nigerian men make their own work"? Correct! And that's where I came in to say that only 'bout 20-30% of the marriges work out.

Now what the fuss What's your annoyance or objection?

There is no-one fussing over anything, anywhere. And last time I checked, there was no reason for annoyance of any kind.

Or is there a problem?

You did write in a previous post, that most of those expatriate women stay in their marriages to Naija men, because of their kids. Please go back to your post no. 198 made on October 20, 2006, where you stated that " Most of these women are in Nigeria because of their kids not even because of the man.Those of them who are still in Nigeria are not happy but because they've found themselves in circumstances they can't help or don't have courage to speak up to avoid physical abuse, they decide to remain a slave for the sake of the kids." Do you recall this statement? Good.

I merely chose to point out the fact, that I do not agree with this assertion. And I gave reasons, why. It is wide-sweeping & too generalised.

So am not sure why you have chosen to keep asking the question , "what's your point?"

At the risk of repeating myself, I must reiterate the fact, that the points have been made. Simply free your mind.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 11:37am On Oct 28, 2006
How else will I free my mind when what I've said is hard for you to swallow?

I said[b]Most[/b] of these women stay in Nigeria for the sake of their kids. Yes!

Some of them have good marriages and the rest can't afford to help the bad situations and have no choice than stay back, kids or no kids.

Still don't get it
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by mamaput(f): 12:05pm On Oct 28, 2006
Radiant:

I said[b]Most[/b] of these women stay in Nigeria for the sake of their kids. Yes!

Some of them have good marriages and the rest can't afford to help the bad situations and have no choice than stay back, kids or no kids.

Still don't get it

i second that
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 4:04pm On Oct 30, 2006
Radiant:

Tsk, tsk, why are you asking someone else to swallow a prejudiced, generalised view?

Radiant:

Hmmn, thank goodness. , In another previous post dated 25th of October, you had asked: "Did I say they only stay 'cause of the kids?

You only chose to emphasize on these two huh?"

All I did, was to point out the fact that you had indeed made those statements in a previous post, which you were now turning round to deny, in a latter post. The contradiction was merely highlighted.

Secondly, most couples stay married for a variety of reasons. The decision to stay or leave a marriage is the sole preserve of those involved in such marriages. Whether they stay for the sake of their kids or leave despite the presence of such kids, remains their prerogative. No one can say categorically, that the kids are the sole reason, for their decision to stay behind. There are different strokes, for diffferent folks.

Radiant:

Still don't get it

Oh[i], pity, [/i]you should have put this across clearly much earlier, instead of making wide-sweeping statements like '70 per cent of those marriages are dead', in your previous posts. Now that you have used the word "some," it helps the reader to put the issue in proper perspective. There is no point in using misleading statistics, which are not backed by research, to get subjective points across.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Radiant(f): 7:42pm On Oct 30, 2006
Geeez!!! wtf? I want to believe you have a sight problem.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2006
Radiant:

Geeez!!! wtf? I want to believe you have a sight problem.

(Sigh), [/i]so you are lost for words, !! There is no need to be rude, [i]tsk, tsk!
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by sammyjl(f): 7:13am On Nov 15, 2006
cool If you are mature enough, girl, follow your heart. The world is changing and everyday things are changing, yeah sure your parents won't approve of something like that, but why don't you sit and discuss this matter with them. Sometimes parents do not tell us why they do certain things, and we assume they just hate our boyfriends or girlfriends. Find out all the facts first.

There is always reason to everything and there is no greater problem, bigger than an elephant and was never solved. Every problem has its solution, one way or the other.

I don't see what is wrong to mix culture or tribes. In my country its not a problem, we see mixed cultures and tribes dating each other all the time and its very common and normal this side.

Maybe your man's tribe did something to your tribe in the past or something else, find out.

But one thing is for sure NOTHING CONQUERS LOVE, ITS A VERY STRONG FEELING.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by mamaput(f): 11:05pm On Nov 15, 2006
Many of these women married against the wish of their family.
Some even turned their backs on them.
Comming back with children makes you first dependent on someone to make a new start.
A lone the i told you so looks.
These women know they many not even get a visa back to visit their kids.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Seun(m): 12:14am On Mar 01, 2007
Hmmm.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by abdkabir(m): 12:38am On Mar 01, 2007
Hurray smiley smiley smiley smiley, my hundredth post on Nairaland.

Fair enough, its on an issue of great importance to Nigeria, Africa, da World.

I guess there are times referring to a previous post would just do. Sammyjl has given a very good comment. Make attempts to, Balance your views with that of your parents..U might get to convince them or learn somethings from them.I tell you, it's always good.

Salutations to the people of Namibia.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Yahoze2000: 4:03pm On Feb 13, 2008
It would be good taste to remove his name from your comment, out of respect
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by OpeLovely(f): 11:14am On Feb 19, 2008
There's nothing wrong with Inter-tribal relationships but what matters is one's happiness and whether the families accept each other especially the immediate family (not extended). And some people say, the angel you know is better than the angel you don't know. I've dated an Igbo man and an Ijaw man and i must admit those experiences taught me valuable lessons.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by laudate: 12:29pm On Feb 19, 2008
OpeLovely:

There's nothing wrong with Inter-tribal relationships but what matters is one's happiness and whether the families accept each other especially the immediate family (not extended). And some people say, the angel you know is better than the angel you don't know. I've dated an Igbo man and an Ijaw man and i must admit those experiences taught me valuable lessons.

Pray tell, what were the lessons you learnt? Do share them! undecided
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by OpeLovely(f): 2:39pm On Feb 19, 2008
They are personal but i will rather stick to my yoruba roots. Kudos to those dating outside their tribes. Enough said.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by omoovie(f): 6:22pm On May 09, 2008
My dear this kind of mentality is sadly rampant in Nigeria. Yoruba and Igbo or Birom and Bini or Urhobo and Isoko intermarriage will cause katakata within the family. I bet you if your brother brings and Oyibo girl home though you mum will give alllowances for error and differences in culture and background. Naija peeps are confusing my dear. It's the old nepotism and tribal divide rearing its ugly head. If you truly love the guy do what is within your power to make your mum and the rest of your fam accept him because our culture entails a marriage of families rather than of individuals. However, at the end of the day remember to ask yourself this two questions, "is this man truly worth all this work and heart ache on a spiritual, mental, physical, financial and emotional level?" "Do I love him and does he love me enough to place ourselves ahead of our families?" If the answers are yes then honey go for it (Na una two go dey house together afterall), if not---reconsider.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by tamme: 11:10pm On Jul 15, 2009
difficult
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Theblessed(f): 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2009
Inter-tribal?

No way!  Not after what they did to us during Biafran/Nigerian civil war and even till today, we are still going through it and been marginalised by these lazy a-se holes in our own country. 

Imagine, being constitutionally banned from ruling Nigeria - a country we the Igbos basically built.  It's like being banned from entering your own home.   Those marrying out of tribe, I consider traitors after what we went through. Better marrying a foreigner (White or black) than a Nigerian inter-tribal marriage. Call me old fashion, your problems not mine.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by WAVixen: 5:14pm On Jul 16, 2009
na wa o. Not here to cast aspartions oh. But some of our thought processes should be checked out.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by Theblessed(f): 6:45am On Jul 17, 2009
Did I hear someone say something about our 'Thought process'?

Well, maybe some of our thought processes could be checked out 'ONLY' and I say 'ONLY' when we have walked a 'MILE' in other people's 'SHOES' then, we can begin to realise what they've been through and the need to focus on ones own people instead of flashing this band wagon of 'One Nigeria' when in reality, there's no such thing as one Nigeria in this country.
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by AloyEmeka9: 8:32am On Jul 17, 2009
They are personal but i will rather stick to my yoruba roots. Kudos to those dating outside their tribes. Enough said.
Seriously, why are Yoruba women more tribalistic than Yoruba men?. Yoruba men are more open minded and easier to deal with. Why?
Re: Inter-tribal Relationships by LaudableXX: 3:52pm On Jun 18, 2018
WAVixen:
na wa o. Not here to cast aspartions oh. But some of our thought processes should be checked out.
True! undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Girls Should Reduce The Time They Spend On Facebook & Instagram- Sultan / Pictures From 2019 Kano Durbar Festival / Meet Felix A. Mujakperuo: A Rtd Major General Who Is Now A First Class King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.