Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,024 members, 7,799,496 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari (1229 Views)

Soldiers Take Over Arepo, Trace Militants To Badagry / Garba Shehu Bought $800,000 From CBN And Resold It At A Profit - PDP / Evidence Of $47m Taken From CBN, Stuffed Into Suitcases - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by giftemerald: 2:44pm On Aug 29, 2015
Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele has been directed by President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure the outstanding tuition, stipends and allowances of all amnesty beneficiaries were paid without further delay.

This is as the European Union (EU) has strengthened its partnership with the Office of the Special Adviser to the President on Niger Delta, under which the Presidential Amnesty Programme (PAP) is domiciled, to seek ways of ensuring that the programmes meets up with its mandate.
This was confirmed in a statement yesterday by the Head of Communications, Amnesty Office, Mr. Daniel Alabra.

Following the directive, Alabra said, the CBN has successfully credited the accounts of students in the following 10 institutions: Nilai University, Malaysia, universities of Strathclyde, Westminster and Dundee in UK, Liberty University, Virginia, USA, New York Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, Lynn University, USA, Edinburgh University, UK, and University of Essex.

He said that the process is ongoing and should be completed in a few days.

He also said that the Special Adviser and Coordinator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, Brig-Gen. Paul Boroh (rtd), expressed appreciation to President Buhari for offering to step in and resolve the logjam in the payment of the outstanding allowances.

The PAP coordinator said the President’s directive is a further demonstration of his commitment to a peaceful Niger Delta and the empowerment of youths of the region through the PAP’s vocational and educational training schemes.

The EU also disclosed that it had expended $500million for the development of the Niger-Delta region in the past 10 years
The delegation of the EU to Nigeria and Minister Counsellor/ Head of Co-operation, Mr. Brian O’Neil disclosed this when he visited Boroh for continued collaboration with the Amnesty Office.

O’Neil promised to continue partnership with the Office to advance peace and progress in the region.

He said that Niger-Delta stability was very important to the overall development of the country, as Nigeria cannot afford to have another crisis brewing in the oil producing region.

“For the success of Amnesty programme which maintains stability in the Niger Delta, we agree with you that the programme needs to be sustained in order to maintain peace in the Niger Delta. Nigeria is already grappling with enough security challenges that it can’t afford to have another one in the Niger Delta. A lot of help is needed in the region.”

The Head of EU Delegation however clarified that their cooperation with Nigeria was not limited to the Niger-Delta region alone but all 36 states and six geo-political zones of the country with special focus on Boko Haram-ravaged North-east.

“We actually have programmes in the 36 states of Nigeria with different areas of impact. We have also shifted focus to the North-eastern region. But for the insurgency, in the past, we have done various programmes in the North like polio eradication”, O’Neil noted.

On a national level, he said, they had also assisted in the electoral issue, donating about $50 million for the last general elections, and also worked in the area of corruption and migration.

Also speaking, Boro said that the Office had resolved with the CBN challenges in the payment of tuition and allowances of the ex-Niger Delta militants, particularly of the delegates studying in foreign institutions.

He said that together with the Apex bank, the payment backlog and debts owed to the beneficiaries which was delayed “as a result of the bottle neck caused by the TSA has been resolved”.

Boroh assured that the process to clear the backlog of stipends was ongoing as he was determined to offset all outstanding payments to all former agitators and beneficiaries in the programme.

He said: “Following the completion of the in-house verification of claims, the Special Adviser has since signed and approved the payment of all outstanding tuition and allowances of the 3,074 beneficiaries in onshore and offshore educational institutions.

“Already, the tuition of 1,620 of the beneficiaries in Nigerian institutions have been paid just as they have all received their in-training allowances for May and June 2015.”

Similarly, he added, the approval and documentation process for their 1,454 counterparts in offshore institutions have also been completed and sent to the CBN, which handles the foreign exchange transaction process, and “has been resolved”.

He disclosed that, the CBN in conjunction with the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation is processing the required cash backing to effect the necessary foreign exchange transaction for the offshore delegates. This, he noted, is in accordance with the strict implementation of the new directive on the Single Treasury Account (TSA).

For more News update please visit www.watchdognews.net
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by donshaddow(m): 2:45pm On Aug 29, 2015
I want to use this avenue to show lady f and introvert that ftc is not their fathers property... Lol.

I will sekem dem till dem gree say na prick God first make b4 e make toto!

The poster below me though. Na .. Him use book space with that slow network wey him dey use.

1 Like

Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by adonbilivit: 2:46pm On Aug 29, 2015
Good move. I see buhari is really trying to maintain peace and other. #oneNigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by benedictnsi(m): 2:46pm On Aug 29, 2015
Asari Dokubo will be smilling now...
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by donshaddow(m): 2:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
Sekem
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by dejavski(m): 2:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
What's in stock for we the graduates Na only militants dey ND?

1 Like

Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by adonbilivit: 2:54pm On Aug 29, 2015
donshaddow:
I want to use this avenue to show lady f and introvert that ftc is not their fathers property... Lol.

The poster below me though. Na .. Him use book space with that slow network wey him dey use.
u sure say this ur joy na just coz u be first to comment? abi u be ex militant? hustle don't pay
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by tucky200(m): 2:55pm On Aug 29, 2015
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 29, 2015
Why can't news finish so I can leave Nairaland alone?

And that source, I doubt if I can eat yam with it. Watchdog

Any way, Good for the Militant.
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by donshaddow(m): 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2015
adonbilivit:
u sure say this ur joy na just coz u be first to comment? abi u be ex militant? hustle don't pay

Lol.... Militant to be... No be ex sef..

Me dey finally go back home to Delta by year end.. So watch out!
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by CSTR2: 3:05pm On Aug 29, 2015
After all the bragadaccio , posturing and empty rhetorics.
Pocket general.
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by IVORY2009(m): 3:22pm On Aug 29, 2015
donshaddow:

Owo-kor wokor rapkor! grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by donshaddow(m): 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2015
IVORY2009:

Owo-kor wokor rapkor! grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Wetin be owo-kor wokor rapkor?
Na tiv language? Lol
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by IVORY2009(m): 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
donshaddow:

Wetin be owo-kor wokor rapkor?
Na tiv language? Lol
Urhobo's language, Niger delta.
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 29, 2015
CBN would pay salaries to workers soon grin
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by LoveMachine(m): 7:31pm On Aug 29, 2015
Nice development! wink
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 29, 2015
smiley
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 29, 2015
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by otokx(m): 8:21pm On Aug 29, 2015
Where was the $500 million spent in the Niger Delta in the past 10 years? Is it the Niger Delta in Nigeria that we know of or is there another Niger Delta?
Re: Ex-militants To Receive Tuition Fees From CBN – Buhari by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 29, 2015
I love Buhari style. Paying directly from CBN and not through Niger Delta Ministry. Making it difficult to steal d money

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Akinwunmi Adesina Congratulates Okonjo Iweala-You Are A Jewel For Africa / Why Have Nigerians Replaced The Word "I'm" With "Am" !!! / Photo: Tribalism. Which Way Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.