Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? (937 Views)

Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) / Should I Pay My Tithe Or Pay My Brother's School Fees? / To Tithe Or Not To Tithe: The Whole Truth From The Bible. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Lateralmaths(m): 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2015
I asked this question in a bible school some years ago and was told that no matter the situation tithe is sacred and should not be touched for any reason...

Pls what's your response to the scenario below?

You are on your way to pay your tithe(which is the only money you have at the moment) and you meet a friend whose wife is in labour or an accident victim who needs the exact amount of money you have on you(your tithe). What will you do?
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Annunaki(m): 4:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
Read deut 14:22-29, there you will learn that you can eat out of your tithe and also give to those in need but if you really want to know the truth, christians are not supposed to tithe in the first instance.

1 Like

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Lateralmaths(m): 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2015
Annunaki:
Read deut 14:22-29, there you will learn that you can eat out of your tithe and also give to those in need but if you really want to know the truth, christians are not supposed to tithe in the first instance.
hmmm. why is deut.14:22-29 not taught in Church?

Pls kindly explain why Christians should not pay tight in the first instance.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by kevoh(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
Lateralmaths:

You are on your way to pay your tithe(which is the only money you have at the moment) and you meet a friend whose wife is in labour or an accident victim who needs the exact amount of money you have on you(your tithe). What will you do?

How can you be asking what will you do with tithe money when it's obvious the money will save someone's life? The morality of the average christian is a source for concern and worry.

If you can not do good for the fact, that it is the humane thing to do in a given circumstance then there is a problem with you.

If the only time you do good deeds is to please some skydaddy somewhere or some rules in some holy book, then there is a problem with you. Gosh, are humans these wicked? undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by openmine(m): 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
Lateralmaths:
hmmm. why is deut.14:22-29 not taught in Church?

Pls kindly explain why Christians should not pay tight in the first instance.
That's why christ brought an end to the law of moses because it was weak and made nothing perfect....Ephesians 2:15;Hebrews 7:18-19;Romans 10:4
imagine a law that stops priests from helping dose who r almost at the point of death simply because it will make them unclean...
just imagine a lady had only 30k her as "tithe" and her brother was terribly ill and needed 2 b at the hospital.....after using the supposed tithe money to save her brother...her pastor was angry with her when she attended church service on sunday,for using "God's money" to save her brother from death....
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Lateralmaths(m): 8:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
openmine:

That's why christ brought an end to the law of moses because it was weak and made nothing perfect....Ephesians 2:15;Hebrews 7:18-19;Romans 10:4
imagine a law that stops priests from helping dose who r almost at the point of death simply because it will make them unclean...
just imagine a lady had only 30k her as "tithe" and her brother was terribly ill and needed 2 b at the hospital.....after using the supposed tithe money to save her brother...her pastor was angry with her when she attended church service on sunday,for using "God's money" to save her brother from death....

But Christ did not ask us to stop paying tithe.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by openmine(m): 9:05pm On Aug 29, 2015
Lateralmaths:

But Christ did not ask us to stop paying tithe.
christ didnt also stop the people of israel from obeying the other laws of moses wen he was on earth..and that was because he was still under that law...he fulfilled the law of moses and ended it on the cross of Calvary.....remember tithe was part of the law of moses....
The question u sud ask is...did the early Christians or believers pay tithes??

1 Like

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Lateralmaths(m): 1:08am On Aug 30, 2015
openmine:

christ didnt also stop the people of israel from obeying the other laws of moses wen he was on earth..and that was because he was still under that law...he fulfilled the law of moses and ended it on the cross of Calvary.....remember tithe was part of the law of moses....
The question u sud ask is...did the early Christians or believers pay tithes??
Abraham paid tithe before the law.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by openmine(m): 3:18am On Aug 30, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Abraham paid tithe before the law.
ok since u want to go d Abraham route..let me ask u sum soul-searching questions...
Was Abraham required UNDER ANY LAW to tithe just like the people of Israel?
Are you comparing wat was given as a GESTURE to what is REQUIRED?
Wat covenant are we in right now?
Are we in d dispensation of Abraham?
i ask again...did the early believers pay tithe?

But why do most tithers always run to genesis esp Abraham to say he paid tithes...?
he was actually responding to a kind gesture from the king after he was given food and wine....
he was never mandated or required to give a tithe...besides if u check other translation,you will not find tithe anymore...rather wat you see is tenth... Thats because its obvious the so called "tithe" that Abraham gave to the king was not the same as that which God required for the people of Israel...

1 Like

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Lateralmaths(m): 7:25am On Aug 30, 2015
openmine:

ok since u want to go d Abraham route..let me ask u sum soul-searching questions...
Was Abraham required UNDER ANY LAW to tithe just like the people of Israel?
Are you comparing wat was given as a GESTURE to what is REQUIRED?
Wat covenant are we in right now?
Are we in d dispensation of Abraham?
i ask again...did the early believers pay tithe?

But why do most tithers always run to genesis esp Abraham to say he paid tithes...?
he was actually responding to a kind gesture from the king after he was given food and wine....
he was never mandated or required to give a tithe...besides if u check other translation,you will not find tithe anymore...rather wat you see is tenth... Thats because its obvious the so called "tithe" that Abraham gave to the king was not the same as that which God required for the people of Israel...

hmmm. Pls explain the new testament concept of giving.
Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by openmine(m): 10:38am On Aug 30, 2015
Lateralmaths:
hmmm. Pls explain the new testament concept of giving.
very simple...thats why i asked you if the early believers paid tithes..
The very first believers were found in acts...
Read what they did when they received and believed jesus as their lord and personal saviour..

42 The believers spent their time listening to the teaching of the apostles. They shared everything with each other. They ate together and prayed together.
43 Many wonders and miraculous signs were happening through the apostles, and everyone felt great respect for God. 44 All the believers stayed together and shared everything.
45 They sold their land and the things they owned. Then they divided the money and gave it to those who needed it.
46 The believers shared a common purpose, and every day they spent much of their time together in the Temple area. They also ate together in their homes. They were happy to share their food and ate with joyful hearts.
47 The believers praised God and were respected by all the people. More and more people were being saved every day, and the Lord was adding them to their group.
ACTS 2:42-47 ERV

Paul also admonished the Corinthians about knowing the GIFT OF GIVING
Take note of highlighted,

And now, brothers and sisters, we want to tell you what God’s grace has done in the churches in Macedonia. 2 These believers have been tested by great troubles, and they are very poor. But their great joy caused them to be very generous in their giving. 3 I can tell you that they gave as much as they were able and even more than they could afford. No one told them to do this. It was their idea. 4 But they asked us again and again—they begged us to let them share in this service for God’s people. 5 And they gave in a way that we did not expect: They gave themselves to the Lord and to us before they gave their money. This is what God wants.

6 So we asked Titus to help you finish this special work of giving. He is the one who started this work. 7 You are rich in everything—in faith, in speaking ability, in knowledge, in the willingness to help, and in the love you learned from us. So now we want you to be rich in this work of giving too.

8 I am not ordering you to give, but I want to see how real your love is by comparing you with others who have been so ready and willing to help. 9 You know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. You know that he gave up his heavenly riches for you. He gave up everything so that you could be richly blessed.

10 This is what I think you should do: Last year you were the first to want to give, and you were the first who gave. 11 So now finish the work you started. Then your “doing” will be equal to your “wanting to do.” Give from what you have.
12 If you want to give, your gift will be accepted. Your gift will be judged by what you have, not by what you don’t have.
13 We don’t want you to have troubles while others are comforted. We want everything to be equal.
14 At this time you have plenty and can provide what they need. Then later, when they have plenty, they can provide what you need. Then everyone will have an equal share.
2 CORINTHIANS 8:1-14 ERV

Finally,Paul gave a very brief but explicit way that believers can give...

7 Each one of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give. You should not give if it makes you unhappy or if you feel forced to give. God loves those who are happy to give. 8 And God can give you more blessings than you need, and you will always have plenty of everything. You will have enough to give to every good work. 9 As the Scriptures say,

“He gives generously to the poor;
his goodness will continue forever.”

10 God is the one who gives seed to those who plant, and he gives bread for food. And God will give you spiritual seed and make that seed grow. He will produce a great harvest from your goodness. 11 God will make you rich in every way so that you can always give FREELY. And your giving through us will make people give thanks to God.

2 CORINTHIANS 9:7-11 ERV

Just trying to make it brief but you can read those chapters for yourself so that you can comprehend it better...If you have any questions about the verses or about tithes please feel free to let me know...We are all here to learn...Happy sunday!

1 Like

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by hahn(m): 11:11am On Aug 30, 2015
This question will only make sense to Christians because there is a huge "spirit of selfishness" in them. I remember back in secondary school, there was this guy that always came to preach in my class during break. So, one day i went to his hostel with my bowl and asked him to give me garri, sugar and milk. I was looking into this guy's locker and he bluntly refused to give me.

The next day when he and his crew came to my class to preach, i waited till they were comfortable, stood on the table and started shouting and narrating the story to everyone. He and his lot left embarrassed and tried to continue their evangelism in the next class. I no gree ooo, I followed them from class to class till they got tired and called it a day. grin grin

I have met kind christians but funny enough they always seem to eventually get tired of the church and end up becoming atheists.

Christians will rather give as a hypocritical gesture than genuine empathy. It's really irritating

1 Like

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by Lateralmaths(m): 1:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
hahn:
This question will only make sense to Christians because there is a huge "spirit of selfishness" in them. I remember back in secondary school, there was this guy that always came to preach in my class during break. So, one day i went to his hostel with my bowl and asked him to give me garri, sugar and milk. I was looking into this guy's locker and he bluntly refused to give me.

The next day when he and his crew came to my class to preach, i waited till they were comfortable, stood on the table and started shouting and narrating the story to everyone. He and his lot left embarrassed and tried to continue their evangelism in the next class. I no gree ooo, I followed them from class to class till they got tired and called it a day. grin grin

I have met kind christians but funny enough they always seem to eventually get tired of the church and end up becoming atheists.

Christians will rather give as a hypocritical gesture than genuine empathy. It's really irritating
You haven't met real Christians then

1 Like

Re: Pay Your Tithe Or Help Someone In A Desperate Situation? by hahn(m): 1:42pm On Aug 30, 2015
Lateralmaths:
You haven't met real Christians then

Really? And how would you describe a real christian?

(1) (Reply)

What does bornagain mean? / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 30/10/15 / 9 Prophetic Capsules For November 2015: (dr. Paul Enenche)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.