Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,137 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath (6998 Views)

Marriage Conditions For RCCG Members, House Of David / D / Bishop David And Faith Oyedepo Laughing Heartily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by TheDauraMallam: 2:12pm On Aug 30, 2015
whitecloth:

is like you don't really have a bible, do you?

The way to see by faith, is to shut the eye of REASON.

- Benjamin Franklin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by whitecloth: 2:19pm On Aug 30, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

[img]https://christieweakly.files./2013/05/images-1.jpeg[/img]

eeyah. sorry o bro, am not a fan of Benjamin Franklin, his ideology is not mine, neither are his words, I've watches a documentary on these men on Discovery channel and I've done my little research into America (proclaim) fore father in faith, the truth came out clear: they are pretenders, they harbour two faith together: Freemason and hypocritical Christianity.
To such people, I bow not.

1 Like

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by TheDauraMallam: 2:20pm On Aug 30, 2015
whitecloth:

eeyah. sorry o bro, am not a fan of Benjamin Franklin, his ideology is not mine, neither are his words, I've watches a documentary on these men on Discovery channel and I've done my little research into America (proclaim) fore father in faith, the truth came out clear: they are pretenders, they harbour two faith together: Freemason and hypocritical Christianity.
To such people, I bow not.

So, this quote does not make any sense to you? Why?

- Benjamin Franklin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by whitecloth: 2:21pm On Aug 30, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

Friedrich Nietzsche — 'Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed'

Did you just say illusion? and did you just mention `truth'?.
kindly explain further please.
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by whitecloth: 2:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

So, this quote does not make any sense to you? Why?
- Benjamin Franklin
Maybe you should explain further.
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 2:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
whitecloth:

is like you don't really have a bible, do you?

I have one and the pages make excellent rizzlas grin

1 Like

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 2:27pm On Aug 30, 2015
malvisguy212:
where in the bible, we are encourage to belong to denomination?

Galatians 3:28
'There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all ONE in Christ Jesus'

Denominations is man inventor.

@bolded, you mean denominations invented man? I thought you guys said it was god undecided
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:
this thread is for discussion bro not an argument so absolutely no need for you guys to get all touchy!!! smiley. . But do you know i can prove to you that ancient isreali recognized slingers as one of the most formidable fighting force too using the bible..

How much will you pay me!! grin

As the op of this thread i demand a 70% cut on all transactions grin
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by johnydon22(m): 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
hahn:

@bolded, you mean denominations invented man? I thought you guys said it was god undecided
He meant "Denominations are man's invention"

1 Like

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 2:31pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:
He meant "Denominations are man's invention"

cry

E be like say you no read wetin him write abi? grin
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
Moral of the story; God doesn't deserve the glory because David was a more worthy opponent.....

So now there's God, but he just isn't worthy of your acknowledgement..... Smh

1 Like

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by whitecloth: 2:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
hahn:

I have one and the pages make excellent rizzlas grin
. OK, no problem.
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by malvisguy212: 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
hahn:

were ?
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by TheDauraMallam: 2:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
whitecloth:

Maybe you should explain further.

From at least the days of the Greek Philosophers, the relationship between faith and reason has been hotly debated. Plato argued that knowledge is simply memory of the eternal. Aristotle set down rules by which knowledge could be discovered by reason.

Rationalists point out that many people hold irrational beliefs, for many reasons. There may be evolutionary causes for irrational beliefs — irrational beliefs may increase our ability to survive and reproduce. Or, according to Pascal's Wager, it may be to our advantage to have faith, because faith may promise infinite rewards, while the rewards of reason are seen by many as finite. One more reason for irrational beliefs can perhaps be explained by operant conditioning. For example, in one study by B. F. Skinner in 1948, pigeons were awarded grain at regular time intervals regardless of their behaviour. The result was that each of pigeons developed their own idiosyncratic response which had become associated with the consequence of receiving grain.[1]

Believers in faith — for example those who believe salvation is possible through faith alone — frequently suggest that everyone holds beliefs arrived at by faith, not reason.[citation needed] The belief that the universe is a sensible place and that our minds allow us to arrive at correct conclusions about it, is a belief we hold through faith. Rationalists contend that this is arrived at because they have observed the world being consistent and sensible, not because they have faith that it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_and_rationality#Relationship_between_faith_and_reason

Many Christians perceive a conflict between reason and faith. On the one hand, God tells them to reason (Isaiah 1:18). They are to have a good reason for what they believe, and they are to be always ready to share that reason with other people (1 Peter 3:15). So they attempt to show unbelievers that their belief in the Scriptures is reasonable, justified, and logically defensible.

On the other hand, Christian are supposed to have faith. They are supposed to trust God and not lean on their own understanding (Proverbs 3:5). The Bible tells them that the “just shall live by faith” (Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11). It seems that they are supposed to trust God regardless of whether His words make sense to their own understanding.

So, which is it? Are Christians to live by reason or by faith? Are they supposed to rely upon their instinct intellect, drawing rational conclusions, rejecting those things that don’t make sense? Or are they to accept the teachings of Scripture without regard to logic and reason, even if it does not make any sense?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Lex11(m): 2:56pm On Aug 30, 2015
Fundamentally...

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" -
2 Timothy 3:16

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." - 2 Peter 1:21

People have, and will continue to attempt to add or subtract from The Holy Bible... unlike falsities, the truth abides.

Thank GOD for His grace and mercies!

2 Likes

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by TheDauraMallam: 2:58pm On Aug 30, 2015
Lex11:
Fundamentally...

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:" -
2 Timothy 3:16

"For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." - 2 Peter 1:21

People have, and will continue to attempt to add or subtract from The Holy Bible... unlike falsities, the truth abides.

Thank GOD for His grace and mercies!

Abeg go siddon somewhere.

You're going to hell in every other religious ideology.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by johnydon22(m): 2:59pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thoniameek:
Moral of the story; God doesn't deserve the glory because David was a more worthy opponent.....

So now there's God, but he just isn't worthy of your acknowledgement..... Smh
You simply cannot discern the difference between a discussion, a postulation of possible scientific explanation to a story and an argument for the existence of yahweh or any deity. . .If i bring up the story of muhammed and Aisha it's in no way an inclination that i acknowledge the existence of Allah.

This thread in no way is about the existence of yahweh or acknowledgement but rather just a simply discussions on the possible plausible explanations of the story that can be reached. . this is no argument, maybe you need to try and comprehend assertions before contributing to it

Sometimes i wonder how you people understand things. .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 3:02pm On Aug 30, 2015
malvisguy212:
were ?

Read your own post again grin
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:
You simply cannot discern the difference between a discussion and a postulation of possible scientific explanation to a story and an argument for the existence of yahweh or any story. . .If i bring up the story of muhammed and Aisha is in no way an inclination that i acknowledge the existence of Allah.

This thread in no way is about the existence of yahweh or acknowledgement but rather just a simply discussions on the possible plausible explanations of the story that can be reached. . this is no argument, maybe you need to try and comprehend assertions before contributing to it

Who said otherwise undecided

Maybe you should've tried to comprehend my post before rushing to mention me....

As far as I know, that op is an atheist, now tell me the aim of his post. My point is, he has no business writing this, unless;
Atheist is a belief and you need to win disciples and Christians make for you guys better disciple, or you're hating an imaginary god..... Now you leave me wondering how you understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by johnydon22(m): 3:32pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thoniameek:

Maybe you should've tried to comprehend my post before rushing to mention me....

As far as I know, that op is an atheist, now tell me the aim of his post. My point is, he has no business writing this, unless;
Atheist is a belief and you need to win disciples and Christians make for you guys better disciple, or you're hating an imaginary god..... Now you leave me wondering how you understand.
Lmao. . i wonder how you people write these stuffs without wincing. . Hahahaha quite funny .. Disbelief in a posit is not Belief of the negate boo... Primary comprehension.!!! smiley

Nobody is in anyway hating any imaginary concept, we are only engaging the propagators of such mythology to the public in an argument . .

Just like a movie critic who would argue that "Captain America" can not fall from a storied building into a car without the glasses shattering due to the impact as opposed to "an intact car" as shown in the movie..

That's exactly the aim of this Op which might not even have been written by an atheist

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 3:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:
Lmao. . i wonder how you people write these stuffs without wincing. . Hahahaha quite funny .. Disbelief in a posit is not Belief of the negate boo... Primary comprehension.!!! smiley

Nobody is in anyway hating any imaginary concept, we are only engaging the propagators of such mythology to the public in an argument . .

Just like a movie critic who would argue that "Captain America" can not fall from a storied building into a car without the glasses shattering due to the impact as opposed to "an intact car" as shown in the movie..

That's exactly the aim of this Op which might not even have been written by an atheist

These guys ehn.... undecided
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 3:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

Abeg go siddon somewhere.

You're going to hell in every other religious ideology.

HAHAHAHAH

*Dies*

tongue
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 3:39pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:
You simply cannot discern the difference between a discussion, a postulation of possible scientific explanation to a story and an argument for the existence of yahweh or any deity. . .If i bring up the story of muhammed and Aisha it's in no way an inclination that i acknowledge the existence of Allah.

See ehn..... undecided
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by johnydon22(m): 3:43pm On Aug 30, 2015
hahn:

See ehn..... undecided
Eeeeehn? grin
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thoniameek:

If you can say I have no business writing this then you might as well say i don't have any reason to think with my own head. Atheism, my dear, is NOT a "belief", it is a DISbelief in the existence of a supreme entity. I DON'T need to win any disciples because choosing to disbelieve dogma is a personal thing. It is impossible to hate an imaginary being, rather I shared this post with the aim of actually raising a discussion of what exactly we have been taught to be true.

If David was well prepared to fight Goliath, this only means that instead of waiting for a "miracle" we should always be prepared against any challenge that comes our way. Apparently, this "story" has been grossly misinterpreted and has only aided in suppressing the natural tendency in Nigerians(we tend to be the most religious and still we are under developed) to seek solutions to our problems instead we "put everything in the hands on god".

The aim of this story is NOT to prove if god is real or if David's tale is even real but it is to challenge ourselves to reason beyond what we've been taught.

Now ask yourself, if you pray before an exam without studying will you pass? Most unlikely. But if you study hard without praying, will you pass? Hmm, most likely.

So, what is most important, preparation or prayer?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:

Our faith and belief is not one of those your secular lifestyle that you can just bring up and criticise like the "captain America" movie.

Funny enough I respected you stand as another human, I wasn't all up in face trying to make you see how ignorant you are for not seeing from my perspective.

Apparently, you who claim a higher IQ couldn't think that way; rather I have to sit back and watch you make mockery of my stands, seeing you diss out nonsense about it because I simply refuse to reason with you and I'm suppose to just keep mute and let you have fun......... So much for reason, logic, humanism and philosophy.

1 Like

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by hahn(m): 4:08pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thoniameek:

Our faith and belief is not one of those your secular lifestyle that you can just bring up and criticise like the "captain America" movie.

Funny enough I respected you stand as another human, I wasn't all up in face trying to make you see how ignorant you are for not seeing from my perspective.

Apparently, you who claim a higher IQ couldn't think that way; rather I have to sit back and watch you make mockery of my stands, seeing you diss out nonsense about it because I simply refuse to reason with you and I'm suppose to just keep mute and let you have fun......... So much for reason, logic, humanism and philosophy.

@bolded, that's what every other religion says. You're destined to burn in the hell fire of other religious ideologies
Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by johnydon22(m): 4:15pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thoniameek:

[b]
Bolded i have not claimed any such thing before, you are the one heaping that one on me of which i will start by saying, my IQ is as normal as yours!

Right on the contrary i know exactly what it is to see things from your perspective and i understand it perfectly clear because i once held such beliefs and i have not even made any assertion whether i think the story to be true or not.

but as i am trying to explain the thread was not an attack against your beliefs or faith but just a hypothetical analysis of how possibly the story might have played out when employing obvious reality just like i used the Movie critic analogy.

Secondly a story should not be believed with Faith because faith add no weight to whether it is true or not.

If you genuinely think it is right to believe things on faith and not evidence or reason then you are open to every kind of dogma, whim, coercion, or mostly dangerous ideas around.

If you are convinced that it is right to base your belief on what is written in an ancient book or what someone says you must believe then there will be no freedom of thought, and will be trapped by your faith in inconsistency and untruths because you will be unable to disagree with it when evidence against it comes along!!!
[/b]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 30, 2015
hahn:

So, what is most important, preparation or prayer?

I don't buy it, if you wanted to challenge religious Nigerians to think outside the box, why would you still use the same instrument that made their way of thinking primitive? And a book you certainly don't believe an ounce of anything written in, a book you call a lie, fairytale, and what have you

What happened to all those your sophisticated books on logic, human reasoning and philosophy? They do a great deal in helping you think out of the box

Religion might be one of many problems of Nigerians, it's certainly not on the top of the list.

Now, help us and start with work place mistreatment, especially from foreigners, then we can continue with a host of others

To study and pray before exams are both important...... Just as praying alone does not guarantee success in exams, so does studying alone; at least not with the educational system of Nigeria (that's another problem you could helps us with)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by 5minsmadness: 4:48pm On Aug 30, 2015
Its amazing how you atheists lap up stories from your white masters without questioning them. On one hand you laugh at the black man for not questioning the faith the white folk brought to Africa's shores, calling it made up, illogical and silly. On the other hand you still follow this same white man without question, rejoicing in the stupidity of his shallow thinking and biased reasoning.
Let's start with the quote below.

"All David has is this sling," because that's the first mistake that we make. In ancient warfare, there are three kinds of warriors. There's cavalry, men on horseback and with chariots. There's heavy infantry, which are foot soldiers, armed foot soldiers with swords and shields and some kind of armor. And there's artillery, and artillery are archers, but, more importantly, slingers.

Are you saying in the whole army of the isrealites there wasn't a single slinger? If the slingshot was so deadly as your white shallow atheist says, why didn't one of the so called skilled slingers simply approach Goliath and put an end to the fight? Why let an inexperienced little Shepherd boy who had little to no known experience using said sling for warfare in the first place?

Unless you are saying there were no slingers in the isrealites army(which cancels Ted's reasoning) then you have to admit that Goliath was so formidable even the slingers were afraid of him(thus also cancelling Ted's illogical reasoning).

So what's Goliath? He's heavy infantry, and his expectation when he challenges the Israelites to a duel is that he's going to be fighting another heavy infantryman. When he says, "Come to me that I might feed your flesh to the birds of the heavens and the beasts of the field," the key phrase is "Come to me." Come up to me because we're going to fight, hand to hand, like this. Saul has the same expectation. David says, "I want to fight Goliath," and Saul tries to give him his armor, because Saul is thinking, "Oh, when you say 'fight Goliath,' you mean 'fight him in hand-to-hand combat,' infantry on infantry

You don't chose your opponents weapon in a war. So if a slinger came forth from the isrealites army would Goliath had turned tail and run cos he wasn't carrying a slingshot as well? Also if Goliath wanted "hand-to-hand" combat, he wouldn't have come with his shield and spear.
And don't dare mention his shield and spear being too heavy for him; if it was, why would he carry it to battle in the first place. Do you think he became the Philistine champion by measuring height and weight? No! He did it by becoming one of the most deadly, ferocious and unconquerable foes the enemy could face. So lying that Goliath was simply a clumsy oaf with acromegaly is a lie straight from the pit of he'll and illogical to boot.

I know you will be in a hurry to respond. Be patient. I'll be right back. Perhaps this will be a good time to think of some logical excuses to cover your asses in believing this nonsense cooked up by an atheist nobody.

Am back.

There's a second piece of this that's important. It's not just that we misunderstand David and his choice of weaponry. It's also that we profoundly misunderstand Goliath. Goliath is not what he seems to be. There's all kinds of hints of this in the Biblical text, things that are in retrospect quite puzzling and don't square with his image as this mighty warrior. So to begin with, the Bible says that Goliath is led onto the valley floor by an attendant. Now that is weird, right? Here is this mighty warrior challenging the Israelites to one-on-one combat. Why is he being led by the hand by some young boy, presumably, to the point of combat? Secondly, the Bible story makes special note of how slowly Goliath moves, another odd thing to say when you're describing the mightiest warrior known to man at that point. And then there's this whole weird thing about how long it takes Goliath to react to the sight of David. So David's coming down the mountain, and he's clearly not preparing for hand-to-hand combat. There is nothing about him that says, "I am about to fight you like this." He's not even carrying a sword. Why does Goliath not react to that? It's as if he's oblivious to what's going on that day. And then there's that strange comment he makes to David: "Am I a dog that you should come to me with sticks?" Sticks? David only has one stick.

The above quote is further atheistic bullsh1t propounded in a desperate attempt to explain away David's good fortune. In arguments atheists say the bible is inaccurate. In other arguments they swear on the Bible's accuracy to prove a point.

"Am I dog that you would come against me with sticks" is an inconsequential phrase. As long as those sticks were on one of David's hands it wouldn't have mattered. A battle was about to take place. Also from your "intelligent but stupid" atheist Ted he already said David approached him from a distance. So it was most likely that David hadn't come close enough for Goliath or ANYBODY for that matter to see whether he was holding a stick or "sticks" in his hand.

Once again in an attempt to paint Goliath as Stvpid the op contradicts himself. Are you saying this was the first battle Goliath was fighting? Are you saying Goliath couldn't weird his own armour or weapons? How then did he become d people's champion? By measuring height?

Goliath was the people's champion! He was a celebrity! Of course he had cup bearers ans shield and spear carriers! He had an entourage just as any important person in those days would have. And once again it wouldn't have mattered if he was going into battle. It would be foolish of the Philistines to choose a champion that needed to be aided simply to get unto the battlefield.

Therefore what the op is trying to explain is total rubbish!

The god you don't believe in save you that my battery has run down. I for finish una today.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]
Bolded i have not claimed any such thing before, you are the one heaping that one on me of which i will start by saying, my IQ is as normal as yours!

Right on the contrary i know exactly what it is to see things from your perspective and i understand it perfectly clear because i once held such beliefs and i have not even made any assertion whether i think the story to be true or not.

but as i am trying to explain the thread was not an attack against your beliefs or faith but just a hypothetical analysis of how possibly the story might have played out when employing obvious reality just like i used the Movie critic analogy.

Secondly a story should not be believed with Faith because faith add no weight to whether it is true or not.

If you genuinely think it is right to believe things on faith and not evidence or reason then you are open to every kind of dogma, whim, coercion, or mostly dangerous ideas around.

If you are convinced that it is right to base your belief on what is written in an ancient book or what someone says you must believe then there will be no freedom of thought, and will be trapped by your faith in inconsistency and untruths because you will be unable to disagree with it when evidence against it comes along!!!
[/b]

You might have shared in my perspective "before" but you're not with me on it now, to know how it would make me feel (I'm not saying you should think about my feelings before putting things up there about my faith); I'm just saying, don't say I'm misunderstanding your intent when I comment, because I am going to comment - this whole thing is misunderstanding anyway, if you understood the my faith, you certainly wouldn't put up something like that about it.

Secondly, no one is holding a gun to my head and saying; believe or you die! Before exercising faith I was born an atheist. So, I have tried both worlds.

Before the choice of Christianity, I have studied other religions and frankly no one really works if applied like Christianity, no one made so much promises that are actually being fulfilled like christianity and no one has room for all like Christianity.

Y'all think because you don't believe in the existence of God, in that way you know better and see from a more better, brilliant and intelligent perspective than others.

There's not a question you want ask about God that I haven't asked. My believe in God is not because I have all the answers about Him but because he has all the answers about me. My mind, my thinking is as liberated as you could never imagine.

1 Like

Re: The Unheard Story Of David And Goliath by Durinsday: 4:58pm On Aug 30, 2015
People missed asking Ted how a double-visioned, slow-moving, led-by-the-hand giant came to represent a tribe of warriors with their kingdom and lives at stake! How did that slowpoke Goliath even make it through war school and actual wars, to represent philistine? Nice try Ted. David may have been a great slinger and that showed that God uses the seemingly small to baffle the profound. God's hand is there

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Living Faith, Winners Pastor Shot In The Head As He He Was Entering The Church!! / Shocking! Recorded Voice Tape of TB Joshua Bribing Journalists To tell Lies! / Can Pastors Do Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.