Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,332 members, 7,780,869 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:19 AM

Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix (3544 Views)

Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) / What's The Archaic Yoruba Word For Grandma And Grandpa? / What Does The Prefix ''uru/uhu'' In Some Igbo Village Mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by odumchi: 3:35am On Aug 30, 2015
Previously, I was of the opinion that our pre-colonial ancestors did not answer 'Chi-' prefixed names as far too many of us do today. Nowadays, we are losing our meaningful naming heritage, and as time passes, it seems like Kalu, Okonta, and Alaribe will be lost to Chidinma, Chimuanya, and Chinazo. Depending on who you ask, the widely-accepted meanings of these names are all related to the Christian God:

Chidinma - God is good
Chimuanya - God is vigilant (and present)
Chinazo- God saves

After re-evaluating my thoughts and also coming across names like Chima and Chibueze in early/precolonial-themed works (which I sadly can't recall at the moment), I am of the impression that this 'Chi-' prefix might not be as recent as I thought it might be. Analyzing the meaning of these names from a more traditional Igbo perspective gave me:

Chidinma - [my] Chi (personal spirit) is well and strong; one who things go well for.
Chimuanya - [my] Chi is vigilant; typically someone who has escaped/survived some form of danger/life-chaning event.
Chinazo - [my] Chi saves me; leads away from harm; directs.

What do you think? Any similar thoughts or input? I'm looking for someone to rub heads with.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by mabeni(m): 3:50am On Aug 30, 2015
I will comment as soon as it hits FP.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by whirlwind7(m): 4:31am On Aug 30, 2015
Since the word "chi" already exists in igbo culture, prior to the advent of the missionaries,it indicates that names prefixed by "chi" have existed before that era.
Apart from personal "chis", people were aware of the existence of a Supreme Deity. This is what they termed "Chineke" - the god that creates. They felt that even their adopted and personal chi came into existence because there is one that created, permitted and gave "life" (spirit) to it. The problem was, they felt that this Supreme Deity is too big to be approached, and too vast/deep to be understood by mere mortals. Which is the reason why individuals adopted their own personal chi to serve as an intermediary. Christianity arrived and put a gradual stop to that belief.

So, names with chi prefixes had indeed existed before the missionaries showed up. You can arguably say that such names are more common and mainstream nowadays. The reason could be that Christianity and the knowledge about God is more widespread than it was in those early days.

2 Likes

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Nobody: 5:34am On Aug 30, 2015
First, The change is as a result of peoples notion that 'aha onye na-edu ya'. With advent of Christianity, some names answered proudly by pre colonial Igbo are jettisoned because of its meaning literally.
Eg are name with Onwu (death) as prefix; Onwumere, Onwudinjo etc.

Secondly, pre colonial Igbos answered name based on conditions surrounding someones birth or rescent death that happened before the birth. Like Obiefuna; which might be given to a male child as a result of the family's long awaited birth of a male child.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by philfrey08: 5:46am On Aug 30, 2015
Whats the problem?
Chi isn't good or its too modern?

God first in everything.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 30, 2015
'Chi' in names is certainly not recent. What is recent is its great, great proliferation. That proliferation has everything to do with the Christianization of the Igbo and the appropriation of the word 'chi' by Igbo-speaking Christians, as the Igbo equivalent (along with Chukwu) of the one God...and the unwillingness of the Christianized people to give or bear names that do not glorify this one God.

1 Like

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
The prefix "Chi" had existed before the advent of Christianity.
In Idenmili we have precolonial names like Nmasinachi,Chidoka,Chiesa and Chieso. These are names of our forefathers and mothers who existed before we accepted Christianity. So, your thought is right...Chi is as old as Okonkwo. The name Chi also refers to guardian spirit or even God.

1 Like

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by bigfrancis21: 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2015
odumchi:
Previously, I was of the opinion that our pre-colonial ancestors did not answer 'Chi-' prefixed names as far too many of us do today. Nowadays, we are losing our meaningful naming heritage, and as time passes, it seems like Kalu, Okonta, and Alaribe will be lost to Chidinma, Chimuanya, and Chinazo. Depending on who you ask, the widely-accepted meanings of these names are all related to the Christian God:

Chidinma - God is good
Chimuanya - God is vigilant (and present)
Chinazo- God saves

After re-evaluating my thoughts and also coming across names like Chima and Chibueze in early/precolonial-themed works (which I sadly can't recall at the moment), I am of the impression that this 'Chi-' prefix might not be as recent as I thought it might be. Analyzing the meaning of these names from a more traditional Igbo perspective gave me:

Chidinma - [my] Chi (personal spirit) is well and strong; one who things go well for.
Chimuanya - [my] Chi is vigilant; typically someone who has escaped/survived some form of danger/life-chaning event.
Chinazo - [my] Chi saves me; leads away from harm; directs.

What do you think? Any similar thoughts or input? I'm looking for someone to rub heads with.

The chi prefix in Igbo names have predated Christianity. 'chi' in olden times was used to refer to one's guardian spirit or spirit guide. Growing up, my mom often used it a lot and sometimes when she was angry and threw a slipper at me and she missed would often say 'chi gi azo gi taa'.

The coming of Christianity assigned a second meaning to 'chi', stemming from 'chi ukwu' = 'chukwu'. The 'chi' word still retains its old and new meanings still. Just as 'minute' in English has two meanings - in terms of time and also in terms of size.

I wouldn't think 'chi' started with the advent of Christianity. It existed long before then, Christianity gave it an additional meaning.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Sealeddeal(m): 5:00pm On Aug 30, 2015
:
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by ChinenyeN(m): 5:23pm On Aug 30, 2015
The sound one utters when one pronounces 'Chi' was certainly present in pre-colonial Igbo, but let us not kid ourselves. That 'Chi' is not the same. Therefore, I find it perfectly alright to say that pre-colonial Igbo never answered these 'Chi'-names, because the fundamental philosophy of 'Chi' has been entirely displaced by Christian dogma.

In fact, 'Chi' was a concept that transcended all dogma, because it was a philosophy that captured the essence of the universe and defined existence. It reflected the reality being and doing. Modern Igbo have no respect for the dynamism that 'Chi' represents. No respect for the dynamism that is 'Chi'. Instead, they appropriate 'Chi' to some immovable, immortal consciousness that claims dominion over all things.

Pre-colonial Igbo never answered 'Chi'-names. They never let their will be defined by some thing that claims omni-gburugburu.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Nobody: 6:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
Let me see if I understand you, ChinenyeN:

'Chi' the ancient Igbo concept, and 'chi' the Igbo translation of a Judeo-Christian concept are very different ideologies.

Therefore those pre-Colonial names with a 'chi' element in them that we know of are not actually Chi-names as we would understand Chi-names today, because they do not reflect the Judeo-Christian essence (which is what they reflect for practically every modern Igbo-speaking person) but rather reflect the pre-Christian essence.

Is this right?

1 Like

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by ChinenyeN(m): 6:47pm On Aug 30, 2015
Nnaaaaaaa... here I am trying to play Devil's Advocate and ruffle feathers, just for you to come around and be so reasonable. I was seriously hoping for someone else to get to the response before you hehe. Anyway, yea. That is what I'm saying, minus the theatrics.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 30, 2015
Ewoooo! Me and dis my oversabiness. grin grin grin

Gbaghalu m, deede. Mboshi ozo, I will know not to stand in the way of to-be-ruffled feathers. grin

1 Like

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by ChinenyeN(m): 7:04pm On Aug 30, 2015
Heh, nmekpa ahu adigh. Chi ghi amaala whe o si nye ghi oversabi ahu.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 30, 2015
ChinenyeN:
Heh, nmekpa ahu adigh. Chi ghi amaala whe o si nye ghi oversabi ahu.

Haha! Is my Ngwa getting better or were you making it easy for me again?

1 Like

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by ChinenyeN(m): 7:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
Who knows. Maybe it's a little bit of both. After all, there are times when even a stubborn man must meet others halfway. Unless, of course, you would prefer I have no mercy on you. hahahah.
Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Nobody: 8:29pm On Aug 30, 2015
Mba oh! Just be slipping in the hard stuff piecemeal - one or two per post - and I might survive!

1 Like

Re: Archaic Igbo Naming Patterns And The Chi-prefix by Avidtags: 5:58pm On Nov 26, 2018
bump grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Somalia and Djibouti are ONE / I Love My Culture (Promote Your Beautiful Culture) Thread / Does Nollywood Misrepresent Traditional Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.